(Topic ID: 160115)

Who has the oldest HUO

By BMore-Pinball

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BB_(resized).jpg
    0266deaf1eddc3a45660f7f5abb99816f7b8fee7_(resized).jpg
    IMG_3161_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3160_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3159_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3156_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3136_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3138_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3135_(resized).JPG
    big_bank_nite_(resized).jpg
    b43af85250ff4133c219f11669a277784cd76b58_(1)_(resized).jpg
    c6eec2deb1f4d9c7e4ce40fc0c7bdaf0317d6600_(1)_(resized).jpg
    699d2409c196198c2e57e8f49d150f038fc04b99_(resized).jpg
    f274d8bc028e02efeb83dbeb5bf1b15629bcc4ff_(1)_(resized).jpg
    7a6d03efdb883f1e1d2c89bbf331c89f3171bfc2_(1)_(resized).jpg
    2d9650eacc85181e86feaedf4fda04b9b2dc72e5_(resized).jpg
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

I have only been into home pinball for a few years now, but I know some of you have been collecting for a long time and have some old HUO machines in your collections.

Just curious what older titles you have that are HUO and where/how did you get them?

#2 7 years ago

I have a HUO 1968 Gottlieb Fun Park. I purchased it from another collector with cash.

FP_(resized).jpgFP_(resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

I know of a 1959 Gottlieb Universe that has visited a few collections, but I imagine there is something older. I like the concept of this thread, there should be some good stories!

Brad

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

I know of a 1959 Gottlieb Universe that has visited a few collections

I had a Universe that was as nice. Probably HUO too. Funny I've seen several that are very nice.

The HUO EM Joker Poker I got from Mr68 was very nice as well.

HUOJP_(resized).jpgHUOJP_(resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

I got a HUO Paragon last year from the gentleman in the area that purchased NIB in 1979. Got the lead from a friend that was doing work on some of his pins...Paragon included.

DSC_0206_(resized).JPGDSC_0206_(resized).JPG

DSC_0227_(resized).JPGDSC_0227_(resized).JPG

#7 7 years ago

Very cool thread

#8 7 years ago

Great thread!

HUO MM purchased at an estate sale. Its the oldest i have anyhow...

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#9 7 years ago

Here is a pic of the HUO Universe that was up for sale on pinside a year or so ago.

64961ddfd0be63a9ad2ff80ce2a285e1cdd6707c_(resized).jpg64961ddfd0be63a9ad2ff80ce2a285e1cdd6707c_(resized).jpg

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Captive_Ball:

I got a HUO Paragon last year from the gentleman in the area that purchased NIB in 1979. Got the lead from a friend that was doing work on some of his pins...Paragon included.

Black rubber?!

#11 7 years ago

Yes, black rubber

#12 7 years ago

Yeah, what's wrong with black rubber?

#13 7 years ago

I have a huo tz that is absolutely beautiful and has all documents /paperwork and goodie bag . Not the oldest but pretty awesome none the less

#14 7 years ago

cool thread

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Yeah, what's wrong with black rubber?

It doesn't look good or play well on a game as old as Paragon, not to mention it will get black filth everywhere. Someone lucky enough to have a super clean HUO should show it off with some pearly whites.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It doesn't look good on a game as old as Paragon, not to mention it will get black filth everywhere. Someone lucky enough to have a super clean HUO should show it off with some pearly whites.

I'll likely put some Titan colored bands on it.....was thinking mainly navy blue with light blue around the waterfall area. Still thinking about it.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It doesn't look good on a game as old as Paragon, not to mention it will get black filth everywhere. Someone lucky enough to have a super clean HUO should show it off with some pearly whites.

Pure and utter nonsense. Use what you prefer.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Pure and utter nonsense. Use what you prefer.

It might be nonsense but not purely and utterly.

Black rubber looks stupid on any game from before 1995, and plays worse than it would with white rubber.

#19 7 years ago

Black rubber will make a mess if you buy them from the crumbly rubber vendor. No replacement product has the correct bounce of good traditional white rubbers like Marco or PBResource sells.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Black rubber will make a mess if you buy them from the crumbly rubber vendor. No repacement product has the correct bounce of good traditional white rubbers like Marco sells.

Pure and utter nonsense!

You should see my woodrail collection all decked out in black rubber, it looks awesome and they play like a dream. use what you prefer!

#21 7 years ago

My oldest is a Home Use Comet.

#22 7 years ago

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

use what you prefer!

That's what I do! Always what came on the game from the factory. But I won't buy pinballlife's anymore! They are probably the reason many are switching to silicone and other fake products.

#24 7 years ago

I have what I believe to be a HUO Fish Tales. Have some documentation backing up the story. Interesting history and not flawless by any stretch, but still one of the nicest Fish Tales I've ever seen. After all this time it absolutely plays like a brand new game.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Here is a pic of the HUO Universe that was up for sale on pinside a year or so ago.

Very nice !!!!!

#26 7 years ago

I had a HUO genie from the original owners grandson. Cleanest older pin I've found.

99_(resized).JPG99_(resized).JPG

003_(resized).JPG003_(resized).JPG

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Your Pinside Angel?

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That's what I do! Always what came on the game from the factory. But I won't buy pinballlife's anymore! They are probably the reason many are switching to silicone and other fake products.

What's wrong with the PL white rubber? I just bought a bunch, have yet to install...

Also bought some black, didn't think it mattered much in home-use situation, but it does appear machines with black rubber get dirtier more easily, although maybe this is just a matter of the quality of the rubber? Is there "good" black rubber? I've been under the impression it's always better to go with a light color.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

What's wrong with the PL white rubber?

They get yellow, crumbly and old fast. At least all the ones I had. Not just from one batch either. If you can rub it with your fingers and it leaves white residue on them, there's your sign! They are not very good. I threw out any I had left. All rubbers are not created equal! Marco's PRW are damn good though.

#30 7 years ago

My oldest is an HUO Road Show - 1994.

#31 7 years ago

HUO '74 Williams Strato-Flite, all stapled papers intact and nice even inside of the body, all original interior plastics still on the coin door, which you never see (and in nice shape), cleanest game on the inside I have ever seen, it's crazy how different maintenance feels on this compared to the rest of my games based on how clean the inside is. Spotlessly clean inside of the head, and the inside of the body is clean too if not as spotless.

Original piece of paper with serial number on it still scotch taped inside of the head. Paid $100.

2d9650eacc85181e86feaedf4fda04b9b2dc72e5_(resized).jpg2d9650eacc85181e86feaedf4fda04b9b2dc72e5_(resized).jpg
    7a6d03efdb883f1e1d2c89bbf331c89f3171bfc2_(1)_(resized).jpg7a6d03efdb883f1e1d2c89bbf331c89f3171bfc2_(1)_(resized).jpg
    f274d8bc028e02efeb83dbeb5bf1b15629bcc4ff_(1)_(resized).jpgf274d8bc028e02efeb83dbeb5bf1b15629bcc4ff_(1)_(resized).jpg
    699d2409c196198c2e57e8f49d150f038fc04b99_(resized).jpg699d2409c196198c2e57e8f49d150f038fc04b99_(resized).jpg
    c6eec2deb1f4d9c7e4ce40fc0c7bdaf0317d6600_(1)_(resized).jpgc6eec2deb1f4d9c7e4ce40fc0c7bdaf0317d6600_(1)_(resized).jpg
    b43af85250ff4133c219f11669a277784cd76b58_(1)_(resized).jpgb43af85250ff4133c219f11669a277784cd76b58_(1)_(resized).jpg

#32 7 years ago

Whomever has the oldest game has the oldest HOU, because every F*&#ing game is HUO now

ANd black rubber plays weak sausage

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Whomever has the oldest game has the oldest HOU, because every F*&#ing game is HUO now

See that Lady Robin Hood next to Fun Park? 1948 and only the second flipper game from Gottlieb. It's in pretty nice shape too! Just because it's my oldest doesn't mean I'm old though.

Quoted from TheLaw:

ANd black rubber plays weak sausage

I used to put them on my DMDS, but have no real use for them now.

#34 7 years ago

Who has the oldest HUO game that they Personally ( or their parent/ relative)purchased new in box ?

#35 7 years ago

I posted this on the rarest thread....I have no way to prove this, but when I bought 32 years ago, I was told
    I was the 3rd owner.
    This was kept in a Private House in Sanford, Florida...but the house was used in the early years as a Speak Easy!
    The whole story was quite a yarn. Shut down as a business just before WWII, Son was a doctor, and had this one, a couple more, and a couple slots in a hidden back room with a bar. I wouldnt doubt some other liberties were taken!
    So likely commercial use...but low and in the "home".
    This is from Pinball database,......stuff covering the game now, Ill get some pictures up when I can.

big_bank_nite_(resized).jpgbig_bank_nite_(resized).jpg

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Your Pinside Angel?

Correct!

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Who has the oldest HUO game that they Personally ( or their parent/ relative)purchased new in box ?

CV was a NIB purchase.... and still have it, almost 20 years

#38 7 years ago

Something about these pristine EMs and Solid States. More thrilling to see and more beautiful to my eyes than DMD era pins.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

HUO '74 Williams Strato-Flite, all stapled papers intact and nice even inside of the body, all original interior plastics still on the coin door, which you never see (and in nice shape), cleanest game on the inside I have ever seen, it's crazy how different maintenance feels on this compared to the rest of my games based on how clean the inside is. Spotlessly clean inside of the head, and the inside of the body is clean too if not as spotless.
    Original piece of paper with serial number on it still scotch taped inside of the head. Paid $100.

Sorry, but I don't believe this game is HUO judging by the photos.

#41 7 years ago

I have huo Elvira dr dude Party Animal and Special forces All from Dennis Nordman years ago

#42 7 years ago

I have a HUO (3 owner) Bally Space Invaders in fantastic condition!

IMG_3135_(resized).JPGIMG_3135_(resized).JPG

IMG_3138_(resized).JPGIMG_3138_(resized).JPG

IMG_3136_(resized).JPGIMG_3136_(resized).JPG

IMG_3156_(resized).JPGIMG_3156_(resized).JPG

IMG_3159_(resized).JPGIMG_3159_(resized).JPG

IMG_3160_(resized).JPGIMG_3160_(resized).JPG

IMG_3161_(resized).JPGIMG_3161_(resized).JPG

#43 7 years ago

Ive had my wife for almost 30 years and she is HUO .. does that count ?

#44 7 years ago

What's the difference between HUO and rebuilding a game using all NOS parts (playfield, backglass, all plastic parts, instruction cards, etc.) to make the game the same as HUO? Almost all of my System 80 games are in this camp.

I got a chuckle when I saw that '48 Lady Robin Hood, I have one too and I'm the second owner, my uncle was the first. He bought it brand new in '48, operated it in his liquor store for a couple years and then it sat in his basement. When he moved to Hawaii in '73, he gave it to me. It was the game that started me collecting, I still have it.

Steve

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Sorry, but I don't believe this game is HUO judging by the photos.

You're welcome to believe what you'd like, that's how the story goes and it is sure backed up by the in-person condition of this machine. If anything else it was operated for a very short time then bought for the home by the old couple a friend got it for me from (which I would also suspect), but I'll take my chances with calling it HUO, not like it matters anyways it's just a cool thing to have and I'm keeping it so it's not like it's going to be a selling point either as it's staying with me. Saw another one of these in person (2 player version, Super-Flite) and it looked trashed even though it was probably pretty okay besides some rough points, it was such a difference to see as I'd never actually seen another before yet, it was like night and day.

HUO doesn't automatically mean perfect either, even though some sellers here seem to believe it when they price their machines. 42 years is a long time for any machine regardless of it's public status. It's all about how much it got played and how people treat and maintain their machines, regardless if the owner is an entrepreneur or a wealthy dad. It has some things like rust around the top rail I haven't gotten to yet but that's all environmental regardless where it is, the corner candy store or stored in Grandma's basement.

HUO or not I'm still happy with my example of this game, which is probably one of the nicest if not the nicest overall you could find of this title. Original flipper coils and assemblies play like a dream, this thing is FAST! (and not just because of the factory DC-powered pop bumper coils) I'll have to upload a video sometime.

0266deaf1eddc3a45660f7f5abb99816f7b8fee7_(resized).jpg0266deaf1eddc3a45660f7f5abb99816f7b8fee7_(resized).jpg

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

What's the difference between HUO and rebuilding a game using all NOS parts (playfield, backglass, all plastic parts, instruction cards, etc.) to make the game the same as HUO?

You somehow still manage to end up with a lesser asking price when you list your Pinside ad, according to what I've seen...

Some people take those three letters too seriously. Unless it really gleams, then go for it, but then that's just listing a perfect game anyways.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

I got a chuckle when I saw that '48 Lady Robin Hood, I have one too and I'm the second owner, my uncle was the first. He bought it brand new in '48, operated it in his liquor store for a couple years and then it sat in his basement. When he moved to Hawaii in '73, he gave it to me. It was the game that started me collecting, I still have it.

Lady Robin Hood is still standing tall.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

This is from Pinball database,......stuff covering the game now, Ill get some pictures up when I can.

Does the flyer state that the machine itself cost $49.50 back in the day???

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from someoneelse:

Does the flyer state that the machine itself cost $49.50 back in the day???

That is MSRP. Street price was $41.25 delivered with a free Cigarette holder of you bought it from the right vendor.

#50 7 years ago

X Files HUO.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-has-the-oldest-huo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.