2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by bigehrl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Resized_20180108_223649.jpg
    2011-07-28 18.45.43 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3926 (resized).JPG
    Route Keys (resized).jpg
    Keys.png
    IMG_2172 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3920 (resized).JPG

#2 2 years ago

Just a word of caution--I wouldn't recommend posting photos of keys online. You can easily duplicate a key from a photo these days.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Just a word of caution--I wouldn't recommend posting photos of keys online. You can easily duplicate a key from a photo these days.

Shhhh. How do you expect us to steal someone's route games if you give away secrets!

#4 2 years ago

We don't have rings that big. We just use 5 gallon buckets.

IMG_3920 (resized).JPG

#5 2 years ago

Haven't been able to find a keyring to hold my Hercules key. But if I did it would be huge.

IMG_2172 (resized).JPG

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Come on man. Really? Online key criminal guy is going to a) Go through the trouble of making a key out of a photo, b) somehow identify the route location of the OP, c) identify the game the key belongs to, and d) steal the money w/o anyone knowing.

I'd estimate the chance of that at zero.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrgregb123:

Come on man. Really? Online key criminal guy is going to a) Go through the trouble of making a key out of a photo, b) somehow identify the route location of the OP, c) identify the game the key belongs to, and d) steal the money w/o anyone knowing.
    I'd estimate the chance of that at zero.

It's not too hard to figure out where reasonably well known operator is, where their games are, and how to identify them (usually a sticker with contact info).

If someone has keys to an operator's game, nobody questions it. Someone could also easily steal the game, not just the coinbox.

Will it happen? Maybe, maybe not. Could it happen? Sure. So why risk it? The key isn't doing it's job if you give people a way to duplicate it.

It's just a bad idea to post photos of keys in general.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

It's not too hard to figure out where reasonably well known operator is, where their games are, and how to identify them (usually a sticker with contact info).
    If someone has keys to an operator's game, nobody questions it. Someone could also easily steal the game, not just the coinbox.
    Will it happen? Maybe, maybe not. Could it happen? Sure. So why risk it? The key isn't doing it's job if you give people a way to duplicate it.

It's bad to discuss owning a pinball machine. People can easily find out where it is especially if you post a picture. We should stick to other subjects around here.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

It's bad to discuss owning a pinball machine. People can easily find out where it is especially if you post a picture. We should stick to other subjects around here.

Despite the sarcastic remark, there actually have been a few people who have been burglarized because word got around that they owned a few expensive pins.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Despite the sarcastic remark, there actually have been a few people who have been burglarized because word got around that they owned a few expensive pins.

That's what I am saying. Don't live in fear. Carry on.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrgregb123:

True. Why bother when there are much easier ways to rip pinballers off.

Just take a popular movie or band from the 80s and say you are going to start a new company and make a pinball machine about it.

SEND MONEY NOW!!!

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

You're really overthinking things here. Put your keys in the witness protection program first. The chances of fraud are nil. Plus there are probably only a dozen or so unique keys anyway.

#13 2 years ago

Something like this is what I was hoping for. PLEASE DON'T COPY THEM ALL SO YOU CAN BREAK INTO MY HOUSE!

Keys.png

#14 2 years ago

I am at the other end of the scale. All our machines were keyed alike so only had 2 keys for pinballs and 2 keys for video games. Made life so much easier.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from flipperstyle:

I am at the other end of the scale. All our machines were keyed alike so only had 2 keys for pinballs and 2 keys for video games. Made life so much easier.

I was buying games from a guy who said he did the same. He was in the business since 1958. Every time I bought a game he said he had to keep the lock because his master key fit it. Not sure if any two were alike but it kept him feeling safe and happy. If I had his master key it would have cost me more in gas to drive there than what I would have got out of his games.

#16 2 years ago

No idea about how many of these they sell, but paranoia about key security exists...

https://na.suzohapp.com/products/security/30-0379-00

When I was a route tech, I had a keychain of at least 25 - 30 keys.

They add up fast... 5 Rowe Juke keys, 2 NSM Juke keys, Half dozen Crane/Redemption master keys, 4 or 5 different cigarette machine/t-handle lock keys, 4 different Master Lock padlock keys, 2 or 3 off brand keyed-alike padlock keys, 4 or 5 Pool Table Master keys and about a dozen various Video & Pinball etc. master keys.

I Had 'em all in order and facing the same direction. Knew what every single one fit and could practically find "that" one without looking.

I don't miss that damn keychain at all....

#17 2 years ago

Route Keys . Thought about keying a like but it is to late now .

Route Keys (resized).jpg

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

We don't have rings that big. We just use 5 gallon buckets.

Holy crackers thats alot of keys.

#19 2 years ago

We got about 10 more buckets just like that.

#20 2 years ago

Tetanus buckets.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

We got about 10 more buckets just like that.

Why, what for?

#22 2 years ago

About 5~6 students lose their dorm keys every single day. I have one guy that does nothing but dorm rekeys till lunch. Those nickle silver keys are $1.50 a piece. Res life charges them $75 bucks a pop.

#23 2 years ago

I am guessing 1889 key per bucket. Lets have some fun!!

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

About 5~6 students lose their dorm keys every single day. I have one guy that does nothing but dorm rekeys till lunch. Those nickle silver keys are $1.50 a piece. Res life charges them $75 bucks a pop.

Do they also replace the lock?

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I am guessing 1889 key per bucket. Lets have some fun!!

You're way low. We rough figured in once going by weight. These boxes have 50 blanks each and they are about 2/3 full. Total blanks in this picture 2350.

IMG_3926 (resized).JPG

Each bucket has about 5900 blanks.

Cost per bucket in blanks = $8850

Each rekey takes 3 blanks = 1966 rooms rekeyed.

1966 rooms X $75.00 = $147,500.00

That picture with the 3 buckets is about $442,500. That's why we get paid the big money.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Do they also replace the lock?

We don't replace the cylinders but we do rekey. Pins are about 10 cents per lock. Funny thing is it's the same kids over and over.

#26 2 years ago

Not really a key-ring, but I did make the key safe for Pinballz Arcade in Austin a few years back which could hold 444 sets of keys.

2011-07-28 18.45.43 (resized).jpg

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Says the man who list his 48 game collection on Pinside

#28 2 years ago

Does anyone have a spare or can anyone make me a spare of this 750 style key?

The key's code is 453 which is stamped into the keys face

Resized_20180108_223649.jpg

#29 2 years ago

People are really worried about someone copying a key for a pin via an online picture. What would it take about 3 seconds to pop the lock on a pin? Why waste the time to get a key printed. I guess if someone has a legit lockbar with a serious lock it might be worth the effort. I recently bought a pin and the seller forgot the key for the head that was different than the key for the coin door. He was going to go home and get the key and we were going to meet later. Just out of boredom knowing nothing about locks, I got it open and re keyed the locks so the one key opened both locks in about 15 minutes. I had it sorted out faster than it took the guy to get home.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

What would it take about 3 seconds to pop the lock on a pin?

It would be almost as quick to just pick the machine up and walk out of the bowling alley with it.

#31 2 years ago

Probably faster. Just show up in blue coveralls with a moving logo and a name patch. Roll in with a bunch of padding and a big dolly... your unplugged and out in 3 minutes and the dude at the desk will hold the door for you. You could probably take 2.

#32 2 years ago

When I was I college I lived in a "posh" housing complex that had a "club house." Nice community area that happened to have a "Pong" game. This place was almost always empty. I was playing it once and ran out of quarters. For fun I tried a bike lock key in it and wha la, it opened. I took the 10 quarters out of it and proceeded to play until I was tired of it. When I left all the quarters that were in the machine were still there. Yes, theft of services, like picking up a piece of trash on the street and putting it in a dumpster.

Ah my misguided youth ( - :

My point is these machines are not very secure.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

seriously?!? even I don't know what half of my keys go to. you think a complete stranger is going to figure it out?? god bless 'em if they do! i can use the help.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 23.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    Electronics
    TheDudeMods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Deadpool Premium Out of stock
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 209.99
    $ 90.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Pinball Vault
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Backbox
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 109.99
    $ 229.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    € 22.00
    Cabinet - Other
    YOYOKOPTER MODS

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside