Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Wyopinball
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

eb8914dc81eb68253a251896c7f05a9f.jpg
    IMG_5444.jpg
    IMG_5445_1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Yipykya.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 8 years ago

Anyone else buy cheap in bulk and run them through an ultra-sonic cycle as you need them? Turns standard new commercial pinball sized carbon steel bearings into the shiniest balls you can find anywhere. For games with magnets. When I joined the hobby a year ago I first bought 4 shiny pbl balls. Nice. But just the same as you can do for yourself if you want to. I washed out a clear plastic jug that originally was for cooking oil and store my bulk stock in mineral oil until I need them. Then when I'm ready for a change out on my pin I run only what I need through the ultra-sonic cleaner unit I picked up from Harbor Freight. Takes 10 minutes. The key is to remove and dry them from the cleaning unit the second the cycle shuts off. Volia. You literally can't get balls shinier.

#45 8 years ago

I've read that report and found it really interesting but isn't the bottom line after 100 plays all the balls tested exhibited the same amount of scratches when viewed under magnification? I bet it would make no disernable difference if you threw them out and replaced them every 50 plays as it pertains to the balls actually damaging a pin. I think what we learned from the report was how nice the balls looked in comparison to each other under magnification before they were actually used.

#46 8 years ago

There are less than 50 ball bearing manufacturers in the united states. Probably less than that who make bearings to the specifications used in the pinball industry. Once the bearing manufacturer meets the specifications for a bearing to be used in the pin industry one is really no different than another. Just my opinion but sheesh, it's not rocket science. I use carbon steel balls because my game has magnets. You can easily buy in lots of 50 or 100 or 1000 or whatever. Pinballs don't have to be expensive, and they really shouldn't be.

#53 8 years ago

Mineral oil won't dull the glossy finish. Any pharmacy should have it. If you can't find it go to Walmart and buy baby oil. Same thing, just scented ...and more expensive.

#58 8 years ago

??? Steve?

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

I just have one thing I'd like to see, the specifications for a pinball bearing. I know that in most cases it has to be made of metal, roughly 1 1/16” diameter and round enough to roll around on a playfield but other than that, it doesn't even have any exacting standards that I've ever seen. Most ball bearings will work and can be polished to look beautiful, even the cheapest of sphere tolerance (I believe it's 52100 chrome alloy, which is what's used in pinball machines). I like using stainless steel bearings in my games, they're less porous than carbon steel bearings but they won't work in games that use magnets to move the bearing around the playfield. I get them from Motion Industries, I get a discount.
    Steve

That's what I meant by specifications. Once you get the size and alloy there's not much more to it.

There's only so many manufacturers to get them from ...one is just as good as another. Not much to it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Yipykya.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-has-the-best-balls?tu=Yipykya and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.