(Topic ID: 324674)

Who has taken a lower paying job for less stress?

By FatPanda

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Methos
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lake view (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider underlord.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#55 1 year ago

I’ve been working 80+ hours six days a week for 21 years now as a mechanic. My body is holding up very well but man am I tired all the time. 56 yo now and best shape of my life but stress is off the charts.

Figure I’ve got 2-5 more years then I’m retiring. A different career now would not improve my life.

#60 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

I was an auto mechanic for 25 years untill I had a wrist injury. I took other jobs and by the time I was ok to return to work doing heavier work I was far behind the auto tech curve as far as technology is concearned. I then went to work fixing electric motors, gear boxes and pumps in the AG industry. After doing that for 10 years I was 52 years old so I started looking into a career I could still be doing in 10 years. I went into trucking. It was the worst move I've ever made. I'm 53 now and have been repeatedly lied to by my employer. What was supposed to be 2 weeks of training with an experienced driver turned into 1 day and then I was turned loose hauling chassis's with 2 20 foot containers each. Additionally I'll have to start going to the Oakland ports and put up with BS there.
    My daughter makes a higher hourly wage managing a McDonald's than I do trucking. Don't believe the 80k to 110k a year trucking stories. The only guys making that money are going OTR for 3 weeks at a time. I'd be fine with that but I've been with my wife for 36 years and my wife wouldn't handle it well. Also the guys I've talked to making the big money have plenty of money, and no time to spend it or appreciate it.

I’m sorry your exit strategy didn’t pan out amigo. Life will give you a break I’m sure of it.

I miss a month and I’d be so far behind it’d be a struggle catching up. Too many ‘clever’ engineers trying to improve the wheel.

#61 1 year ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

If you've got 2-5 years before retirement, then riding it out is probably best. Good for you! Retirement for folks is always a good thing.

Here’s to hoping. House paid off in 2020, no bills. Just trying to save up.

#69 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

I completely understand your reasoning, but consider this: What if you "quit tomorrow" and immediately started doing something you enjoyed, with less stress, and when you stopped working for the day still had energy? IF you have enough assets today to retire in 2-5 more years, then you probably have enough assets to make a change today making less money and working 4-7 years doing something you'd really enjoy. Once you're this close, your assets are likely doing the heavy lifting at this point.
    Another way to look at it: If you knew you could quit tomorrow and be comfortable doing it, the work you're doing today might feel a lot more enjoyable. Fishing is fun when you want to - not so much when you have to.

Oh I’ve looked at it that way. For years. I’m listening Reverand, trust me.

It’s never been about me. It’s always been about family. Son is in Navy for next 6 years, daughter grown up. Now it’s time I’m working for my wife and I. Just us. She deserves it.

#70 1 year ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

My dad got bile duct cancer at 63, died a few weeks after diagnosis in 2007.
    My brother in law got glioblastoma at 54, died a few weeks after diagnosis last September.
    My spouse was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer at 58 last August, doing well on chemo for the time being.
    My point: Don’t ever work a job that you hate if you have an alternative that works out financially. You may not live long enough to enjoy whatever fruit you think you’ll be harvesting in the far future.

You’re awesome. Worlds better place with you with us. Soldier on!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider underlord.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-has-taken-a-lower-paying-job-for-less-stress?tu=underlord and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.