(Topic ID: 324674)

Who has taken a lower paying job for less stress?

By FatPanda

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Methos
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lake view (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider northerndude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 1 year ago

26 years at the same company. 8 in this position, low stress, I don't make piles of $. (I don't know what good money is to compare to others really)? Maybe I do well, lol. My wife is in management and has out earned me easily for 20+ years. We live in a fairly low cost of living area, I have no debt. I work OT if I want, I usually don't need to or want to. My time is worth more to me, even if it's being a lazy p.o.s. sitting on the couch binging tv

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Thanks!
    I love the manual aspect of it equally, we don't even use digital readouts in our manual lathe class. Part of the appeal of a shop environment for me was being on my feet vs. sitting in my home office all day. And of course a 7am to 3pm shift gives me plenty of free time for the rest of my day which I've never had the luxury of experiencing.
    I considered going all in on mechanical engineering but didn't want to spend too much time in school as I turn 47 next month, the learning curve was a bit steep initially but it feels great to have the confidence to just step up and make stuff now. Long-term I'm interested in 5 axis programming and water jets and all that neat stuff, but for the next few years I'm more than happy to do grunt setup work, keep my head down, and keep learning.

My son is in his first year Engineering at Uni and he's in the middle of picking his top 5 fields to look at in December for a day ea. to try them out. He doesn't know what he wants to be yet,

1 month later
    #63 1 year ago

My wife has been a manager for a handful of years with provincial health region with WAYYYYY too many staffx, way too many departments. Her boss comes up to her a few months ago and says. “Uhhh, you’ve been flagged, for having too many staff” she handles way, way too much that she’s isn’t supposed to do. I’ve been on her for ages to get a new job. I said you don’t need to be responsible for all this shit.

Well a new job came up. She got it, and now will have 14 staff (from 65-70, all women, fuckin hens).

A director called her last week and said she’ll be able to do this new job in her absolute sleep. I’m excited. Less stress her=better for me for sure!

#68 1 year ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

My dad got bile duct cancer at 63, died a few weeks after diagnosis in 2007.
    My brother in law got glioblastoma at 54, died a few weeks after diagnosis last September.
    My spouse was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer at 58 last August, doing well on chemo for the time being.
    My point: Don’t ever work a job that you hate if you have an alternative that works out financially. You may not live long enough to enjoy whatever fruit you think you’ll be harvesting in the far future.

Sorry for all the bad beats man. Got to be just hard on person/family. Good luck to you

#72 1 year ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

I left a job making six figures almost twenty years ago to focus on HEP full time. Six figure incomes were extremely uncommon and were absolute dream jobs in my profession at that time.
    The first years were exciting as I could justify the struggles and lean times in that I was trying to build something from the ground up.
    The middle years were probably a little bit more of a cruise control.
    Now at 50 having dedicated everything to it the last twenty years I realize it wasn’t the windfall I had envisioned in the beginning. I honestly was making more money twenty years ago without the headaches and all the “red tape “ that comes with running a business. This one in particular.
    The one thing I have enjoyed that I could have never achieved without it though is my true freedom and independence. I saw my boys off to school every morning,I ate three meals a day with my wife,if I felt like a nap I took one. If I wanted to drink a beer at 3PM on a Wednesday I did it. If I wanted to work at 7PM on a Sunday night I did that too. There were no rules only tasks that needed to be completed. Taking the forced structure out of a job was what I needed.
    I don’t think there is ever a completely stress free job but if you are happy or at the very least satisfied then that is sustainable regardless of income.
    If every move you make or don’t is in the name of money then you are falling into a trap that will really limit your happiness.
    So many people are all about the long game but the only thing you can truly count on is here and now .Find the best way you can to enjoy it!

Nice take on it.

I could have moved up the ladder a few times now. I don’t want to. And a very close friend that has, told me not to, and just enjoy life/work balance. I have a low stress job, I enjoy to enough. I have 26 fridays off a year. Six weeks vacation (starting Jan 1) and I only have about 11-14 years of work left in a fairly low impact job. I have a boss that doesn’t know what my job is. I have freedom to have a loose work schedule if I need it for other activities. I’ll ride this one for sure until retirement.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider northerndude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-has-taken-a-lower-paying-job-for-less-stress?tu=northerndude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.