(Topic ID: 324674)

Who has taken a lower paying job for less stress?

By FatPanda

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Methos
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lake view (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 1 year ago

Balancing stress is a tricky thing and the solution isn't the same for all. As I tell my kids, it usually happens that every solution to a problem just creates new issues down the road (maybe I've been in IT too long, ha). But as wisely said above, your outlook has a lot to do with things. I try to be grateful for my situations, control things in my influence for the better, and remind myself where things could be worse. Sometimes problems really... aren't, you just think they are. Of course other problems are very real and if you're given all the responsibility with none of the means or power to improve them, that's a true source of anguish that can be very unhealthy.

As for me, I took a pay-cut-lateral shift about 15 years ago. From 2000-2007 I worked IT in a small hospital, which I found incredibly rewarding: it was an honorable mission, with great people, and a chance to learn and grow. On the flipside the place was uber-conservative and advancement options were limited. When I accidentally found a file which disclosed the org's salary / raise structure was set in stone with no regard to how well you performed on their metrics (Jesus himself would have only gotten the max 3% raise despite all the corporatized incentive doublespeak), I knew it was time to look elsewhere. The hospital's PTO and attendance structure was miserly, and we'd just had my first daughter which caused all sorts of personal life/scheduling drama.

So in 2007 I took a job doing much the same work for a state agency - sill fulfilling a personal creed to do public benefit service. The pay was a bit less, but I cut my commute down over an hr per day, saved vehicle wear and expense, and gained a much more flexible personal / leave structure... so my finances were a net wash to improved, with other intangible benefits. I was able to work 10 mins from home and take whatever personal time needed, when needed, for almost any reason. I've been able to take vacations and breaks and mental days that I couldn't dream of at the hospital. The nature of IT and my progression within it means project and incidental stresses still come up from time to time, and some times of the year suck, but overall that "lateral cut" was the smartest thing I ever did. I'm still underpaid compared to private sector BUT I've been able to raise a family anyone would be proud of, and have experiences I once couldn't have imagined or been granted no matter how much I may have fought for (or truly needed) them. So no regrets... but I still can't wait to leave IT at some point.

FWIW my favorite real job was the first I had as a college ME intern. I got to design test stations for fluid pumps and then run new prototypes until they self-destructed. Not only was that interesting and fun, everything about that company was amazing - small companies are where it's at. There were other small companies I worked for that had a true family atmosphere and I loved every moment. The corporate world, by comparison, has universally sucked. The state falls somewhere in the middle, so it's alright. Environment has a big impact on stress.

(Now if I could pay the bills doing pinball repair, I'd be happy as a lark. Unfortunately I have other responsibilities, so the stress balance could shift unless pinrepair was REALLY getting lucrative... I'm not there yet, and compared to those who are, I certainly have a big hill to climb).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-has-taken-a-lower-paying-job-for-less-stress?tu=goingincirclez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.