(Topic ID: 118890)

Who has raided their radio shack close out sales.

By Fortytwo

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 190 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by KenLayton
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    pinball parts cabinets 002.JPG
    20150318_132408.jpg
    image-903.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_7429.JPG
    1425430865379.jpg
    image.jpg
    331 new.jpg
    rs_drawers.jpg
    IMG_5720.JPG
    There are 190 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 9 years ago

I just treated myself to a nice digital soldering station on sale for 62$ . I have been needing an upgrade for my weller model for a while now.

can anybody suggest a variety of Williams and stern universal transistors, resistors, capacitors, and diodes for mpu and driver boards? I don't feel like looking any of them up in schematics today (lazy) lmao

#52 9 years ago

Got a ton of stuff last night for $100. Lots of fuses (.35 a bag). Bought a bunch of HDMI cables, headphones, connectors, etc. Mine local store is selling the drawer cabinet for $85 instead of the $175. They close tomorrow and who knows what they will go for then if they are still there. It 77346 store if anyone is interested.

#53 9 years ago

I stoped in tonight and talked to them about the parts cabinets. They told me $75 then it was $87.50. I told them if they could do $75 i would take all 8. I'm waiting to here back from them. They had to get a hold of the general manager.

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

I just treated myself to a nice digital soldering station on sale for 62$ . I have been needing an upgrade for my weller model for a while now.
    can anybody suggest a variety of Williams and stern universal transistors, resistors, capacitors, and diodes for mpu and driver boards? I don't feel like looking any of them up in schematics today (lazy) lmao

I got that same soldering station and can't belive what a difference it is from my old cheesy stick from when I was a kid.

#55 9 years ago

Make sure you are getting a REALLY low price on those soldering stations.

If you are paying $66 with tax, you are only $10 away from getting a genuine Hakko digital soldering station delivered to your door (they are at Fry's right now for 69.99 http://www.frys.com/product/7550776).

With the Hakko, you know you can get replacement tips at Frys or Grainger.

A lot of people like the RS station, but the replacement ceramic heating elements have been unavailable for over a year. And if you think they are hard to find now, wait 'till the Shack goes dark...

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from mario_1_up:

I stoped in tonight and talked to them about the parts cabinets. They told me $75 then it was $87.50. I told them if they could do $75 i would take all 8. I'm waiting to here back from them. They had to get a hold of the general manager.

They just did the same thing to me. Yesterday on the phone said 2 for 150 and today said 2 for 175. Screw them their not that great. Plus tax.

#57 9 years ago

The one is my nearest mall says they are not closing????? All the ones around me save for the mall store tell me theyre done.

G

#58 9 years ago

Stopped at the local one here Saturday. Got a shmidt load of fuses, solder, stranded wire, and some odds and ends for $50.00. Was told to check back over the next few weeks as this store will be getting merchandise from other stores at cheaper and cheaper prices for a while. Also found out that the store about 20 miles away is staying open, as it is privately owned (not a corporate store).

So, good news all the way around.

#59 9 years ago

Wow so there are privately owned Radio Shacks here and there?

#60 9 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Wow so there are privately owned Radio Shacks here and there?

yes, they have franchise stores too, though the majority were/are company owned.

#62 9 years ago

Wow good to know the store in my town is staying open!

#63 9 years ago

apparently, there are still some stores who's profit margins were high enough that they were not slated to be closed (according to the employee in one of the stores near my home).

the other 3 stores within a 25 mile radius were all marked at going out of business and closing. in fact, one of the clearance stores had most of the stock sent from the other stores and they were using that one as a central hub for the "going out of business" clearance sale. (probably so that RS could close the other stores faster and not have to pay an additional month's worth of rent on them).

#64 9 years ago

The one near me seems to be staying. There is actually a now hiring sign outside.

#65 9 years ago
    Quoted from t2:

They just did the same thing to me. Yesterday on the phone said 2 for 150 and today said 2 for 175. Screw them their not that great. Plus tax.

I just bought 3 for $180. In my car now.

#66 9 years ago

Just called and they told me 2 for $300. WTF???

#67 9 years ago
    Quoted from t2:

Same old Radio Shack....

#68 9 years ago

Ok went to local RS and they wanted 175 a bin, offered 50 per bin, lady called someone and they said 65 per bin empty or 75 with all the stuff. So walked out of there with 2 seven draw bins one stuffed with fuses the other loaded with cb stuff, light bulbs, and battery holders for $160 after taxes. Thought I would pass it along. Store is set to close this Thursday.

#69 9 years ago

Just came back from a somewhat local RS. It had already been raided!....or looted I should say. 90% off just about everything. Picked Up quite a few things for less than $5 which would have cost about a hundred bucks. It's a shame really.

#70 9 years ago

Hehe, just saw this tread, last week I racked up 3 stores and about 15 feet of register receipt.

#71 9 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

I just bought 3 for $180. In my car now.

I picked up what he left. Finally have some bins. I think it's supply and demand. They don't have to sell them, in fact it's a pain for them to sell them too early. So the closer to close the cheaper, and a visit in person helps. Rather than some possibly empty promises on a phone.
    Fortytwo

#72 9 years ago

Many people have become hoarders from these sales.

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from t2:

I Worked out a package deal and bought all 8 of them.

#74 9 years ago

not sure if you guys will think this is a good deal or not but I bought all 8 for $70 each for the parts bins so about $560 + tax. Store was 95% off nearly everything. Got some nice computer cables and lots of fuses and small parts for next to nothing. Shame. At these prices if I was not so lazy I would have bought all the cell and computer stuff and made a amazon store to sell.

#75 9 years ago

I remembered to stop and check my store today - 90-95% off last 3 days to go. Picked up this stuff for $4.50. Made me feel good, since I've over paid for those fuses for many years when I needed one right then.

IMG_5268.JPGIMG_5268.JPG
    #76 9 years ago

Went to one store today and they were having 'bag sale'. 3 different size bags $10, $20, $40. One guy had two of the big bags full of batteries and other stuff. One employee sad he saved 7500 vs retail and another over 2k. Sounds like all stores closing are doing that on the last day. Better get there early. Also don't believe the sign that says closing in x days as that changes. Check every day.

#77 9 years ago

I stopped by my local radio shack today and cleaned them out of most of the fuses, connectors. Bags of 5 fast fuses for 12 cents, slow blow fuse bags for 17 cents, power connectors for 15 cents, capacitors for 7 cents, etc. I had 193 items for $28. The original price total was over $530 according to the receipt.

#78 9 years ago

Ok not mine, but a friend of mine got this deal.

$1200 worth of stuff for $10!!!!
    rs.jpgrs.jpg

#79 9 years ago

I was too late my local Radio Shack was raided and shut down long before I even thought about going.

#80 9 years ago
    Quoted from tmontana:

Ok not mine, but a friend of mine got this deal.
    $1200 worth of stuff for $10!!!!

rs.jpg 48 KB

Some impressive thing on that receipt is you pay only 6% sales tax. That receipt had to be 20 foot long.

#81 9 years ago

I was at the Mall of America location tonight. Everything was 90% off, but it was almost completely empty. There were some misc phone cases and fuses, but mostly they were selling the store fixtures.

#82 9 years ago

In addition to fuses, diodes and batteries, I grabbed 4 parts bins for $240 out the door. Thanks to everyone for the heads up.

#83 9 years ago

My dad and I spoke with the employee at our Lebanon store, she said a nearby store is selling out now at 90% off, and after then they are going to start selling people bags for $5 and let them fill them up with anything they can find!! Guess where we are going this weekend?

#84 9 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Guess where we are going this weekend?

Better double check how long the sales are going to last. The stores here are done Thursday I think, maybe Friday. They told me I had to have my cabinets picked up by close on Thursday because that's it.

#85 9 years ago

image-577.jpgimage-577.jpg

#86 9 years ago

Seems the managers don't have much of a timeline, just whenever stuff sells out.

#87 9 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

after then they are going to start selling people bags for $5 and let them fill them up with anything they can find!!

That's how my friend go the $1200 worth of stuff for $10

#88 9 years ago

Just picked these up for $25 a piece. image-786.jpgimage-786.jpg

#89 9 years ago
    Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Just picked these up for $25 a piece.

image-786.jpg 241 KB

Good Deal ... I turned 2 down at 75.00ea today ... I really wanted em for 50.00ea ... I should of bought them.

#90 9 years ago
    Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Just picked these up for $25 a piece.

That's a steal. I paid $350 for four of them plus a rolling base. They went quick here. If you waited, you weren't getting them.

#91 9 years ago

Good buy. I have started loading mine up. I have gotten rid of a bunch of boxes and found tons of parts I forgot I bought.
    They are a good size a depth, can fit stern displays in the drawers.
    Fortytwo

#92 9 years ago

I went and picked my parts bins up today. Had the same issue said I had to pick them up sat. then called me and said they were closing thursday. I talked to the last guy left working there he said some guy talked to the liquidation company and $10,000 to get ruffly $20,000 worth of inventory from each of the 5 stores around me that were closing. No wonder why the store was hit by the time I got there.

#93 9 years ago

I did!

I'll hit another couple up at the end of March when the rest of the Indianapolis area locations close.. I need 3-5 more for a project.

IMG_5720.JPGIMG_5720.JPG IMG_5721.JPGIMG_5721.JPG
    #94 9 years ago

Darn you Austin electronics hobbyists, engineers, and makerfolk. 30 stores closing in the Dallas/Fort Worth area but none of the 14 in Austin. The closest one to me that's closing is 45 minutes one way, in good traffic.

Sigh, guess I'll stick to the Fry's around the corner.

#95 9 years ago

Got mine moved in and set up. Started moving parts to them. I'm going to gain back a lot of shelf space.

rs_drawers.jpgrs_drawers.jpg
    #96 9 years ago

I have been trying to find these parts bins all week in the few Radio Shacks that were closing within a 2 hour driving distance of me. Everyone I checked already had theirs sold but I finally found a set yesterday in a RS in downtown Kansas City. This store is not closing for another 3 to 4 weeks , so they weren't that motivated about discounting them yet. The manager was asking $175 for each section but after visiting with him for a few minutes I offered him $1000 for all 8 which took the price down to $125 each. After the store manager made a couple of phone calls to see if he could sell them at that price, he came back to me and said sold. I was hoping to find them a little cheaper like others have been posting but I could tell I was going to have to pay up a little more than I was wanting to if I were going to own a set. I have been needing something like these in my shop for a long time so now was my chance.

I was wondering if a fellow Pinsider that has already bought these and have them at home could measure the width , height and depth for me? The store won't let me bring the parts bins home until the store gets closer to there closing date which is another 3 to 4 weeks off and I would like to go ahead and make room in my shop for them but I need the dimensions to do so. The store is about 45 minutes from me and I would hate to drive that just to get measurements. I would really appreciate it and a big thanks in advance !

331 new.jpg331 new.jpg

#97 9 years ago

23 5/8" width
    25 3/8" height
    17" depth - measured from the back to the drawer pull tab that sticks out further than the cabinet front

#98 9 years ago

Anyone started printing out pinball parts labels in the Radio Shack style for the fun? Like a drawer for switches and you have pictures of different types; same with LEDs, coils, etc?

#99 9 years ago

23 5/8" w X 16 7/16" d X 25 1/4" h

I got 5, and intend to get 5 more the next round of closings.

They are built better than a Snap On tool chest, ball bearing slides and VERY heavy. The top and bottom are held together with 1-4 Phillips head screws and wing nuts. You'll have to pull the top drawer liner out on the bottom section, and the bottom drawer liner out on the top section to separate them. With a small flat blade screwdriver, you can even remove the drawer from the rails if you need to.

Another tip - take something to secure the drawers shut while you move them. Stretch wrap, twine, a strap, something. I tipped one up to slide the dolly under the back edge, and the drawers came open and nailed me in the ankle. It hurt. Bad.

And, I didn't learn my lesson, I did it a second time!

Take a helper if you can, the RS employees can't help. Stacked 2 high, these are a bit cumbersome to move.

Right now, I'm debating how to use them in my shop. I'm considering building a small frame beneath them, out of 2x4 or 2x6, just to lift them up a bit, and then run a row of them down a wall and put a work bench on top of them. I could also put some outlets in the frame, and then I'd have a handy place to plug in my tumblers so I'm not running extension cords around the workshop. I'm running low on bench space, so this method makes sense to me. I've also got a LOT of pinball parts and electronic components, hence the need for the drawers.

I'm still brainstorming, I can't start on this project for awhile.

#100 9 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Anyone started printing out pinball parts labels in the Radio Shack style for the fun?

That would be nice, I resorted to using the ones that made sense (Capacitors, resistors, transistors, etc.) and then turned the label over and wrote on the back for other stuff such as my playfield and cabinet parts, rings, etc. They could be two part to be printer friendly as most people aren't going to be able to print an almost 2 foot wide label.

There are 190 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-has-raided-their-radio-shack-close-out-sales/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.