Who has raided their radio shack close out sales.

(Topic ID: 118890)

Who has raided their radio shack close out sales.

By Fortytwo

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 180 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Fortytwo
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 26 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    pinball parts cabinets 002.JPG
    20150318_132408.jpg
    image-903.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_7429.JPG
    1425430865379.jpg
    image.jpg
    331 new.jpg
    rs_drawers.jpg
    IMG_5720.JPG

There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 3 years ago

If you haven't yet don't hesitate. I stocked up on fuses I know I use from three different stores. Plus I got a good deal on a lighted helping hands. I stocked up on those generic photo sensors. In case I need them for a gun game too.
    Right now I'm hoping they go down on the price for the parts drawers. A set of two would work great for spare pinball parts. One drawer just for white rubber!

Good luck in your pillaging
    Fortytwo

#2 3 years ago

How much does your RS want for the drawers?

I haven't hit any of mine yet.

Even at 75% off, RS fuses are pretty pricey.

#3 3 years ago

I was just in mine over weekend and did not see any closeout stuff... but it is a store they are not closing

#4 3 years ago

I should check my store out and see if its closing. Would really love to have their parts cabinets.

#5 3 years ago

I plan on doing that tomorrow

#6 3 years ago

I can see why their closing stores there are 4 within 3 miles of me. They were 40 to 60% last week. Found some soldiering items. They didn't have the parts bins on sale at the one I went to.
    Son tells me they wanted $300 for the parts bins.

#7 3 years ago

I have one that is closing close to me and they have put nothing on sale yet?

#8 3 years ago

No Radio Shacks closing in Louisiana by my research -- which includes phone calls and this: http://retailindustry.about.com/od/searsdepartmentstores/fl/Which-Radio-Shack-Stores-Are-Closing-Down-in-2015-and-in-What-States.htm Scroll down to the meat.

#9 3 years ago

So sad to see them going bust. When I was young I loved to peruse the Radio Shack catalogs, especially around Christmas. End of an era for sure.
    Mike in Kentucky

#11 3 years ago

Good idea. The one here is announced to be closing. They have not announced any details yet, but I should stop by and check for closeout deals.
    Hate to see them go, but might as well make the best of it.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from scottslash:

No Radio Shacks closing in Louisiana by my research -- which includes phone calls and this: http://retailindustry.about.com/od/searsdepartmentstores/fl/Which-Radio-Shack-Stores-Are-Closing-Down-in-2015-and-in-What-States.htm Scroll down to the meat.

More like scroll down for the ad revenue. Click on texas and it takes you to some crap on the same site about Kmart store closures. Freaking yay for circular linking to generate more ad hits.

#13 3 years ago

Got several diodes, transistors, and a good deal on a soldering station. The stores near me close on 2-28 in Colorado Springs although several will remain open.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Where are you getting 4 packs of fuses for less than 70 cents?

#15 3 years ago

I'm glad there closing, I hate that dump and their business model.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pintucky:

So sad to see them going bust. When I was young I loved to peruse the Radio Shack catalogs, especially around Christmas. End of an era for sure.
    Mike in Kentucky

Even in the 1990s I still remember the stores being littered with toys and RC cars you could pick up and drive right there in the store.

Quoted from msj2222:

I'm glad there closing, I hate that dump and their business model.

Lolwut.

#17 3 years ago

I cleaned out one near me for various testers and probes I didn't have. Oddly enough their parts bins were pretty much cleared out except for connectors, which I was able to grab.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

I would also like to know. I figured I paid about 25 cents a fuse, "shipped". Dung. I would guess someone is not taking into consideration of shipping when you need just that one damm fuse. I have a pile right now.

For the drawers there are two unit in a tower. Originally they wanted 300 a unit. The store I was at yesterday had 9 days left. They were down to 175 a unit. I think 100 a tower is where I'm at. They are nice sturdy things but not worth that to a consumer. With how ever many stores closeing they will not get premium market on store fixtures.
    I think one unit will nicely origanize all my new parts and my good coils etc.
    Fortytwo

#19 3 years ago

I'm going to check my store out to see what they are asking for there unit's. I think $300 is insane. I'm with you fortytwo $100 is where I'm going to draw the line.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Perhaps I miscalculated

A typical SB fuse is about 35 cents a fuse when you buy 10 at a time from GPE.

A 4 pack from RS is normally $2.50, or 62.5 cents per fuse.

At 50% off, it's comparable to GPE. If it's the same price as GPE, I'd buy from GPE.

At 75% off, I'd purchase the values I'd use.

Having said that, I tend to buy 100 packs of the values I use the most in board repairs, as I can often get fuses below the GPE price in 100 packs. Obviously, that's not a viable situation for most individuals, as they don't need 100 5A SB fuses at a time

#21 3 years ago

Good idea, I should hit up my local store and see if they have any radio stuff for cheap.

#22 3 years ago

The one near me was down to about 2 shelves of crap, and 1 table of crap.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Where is the cheapest place to get fuses?

#24 3 years ago

I got an Arduino starter kit pretty cheap. That store was about to be tapped, the other 2 I've been to looked like trainwrecks and barely had anything left.

As was mentioned, even at 60% off, RS is still pricey. A 4 pack of diodes was now over a dollar when I can get 100 on eBay shipped for the same price.

I will be dumpster diving when they finally close though!

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from simplykind:

Where is the cheapest place to get fuses?

I have been using Mouser for a long time. Most of their fuses are under $.027 when bought in QTY10. They get much cheaper than that if you buy in QTY100.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I have been using Mouser for a long time. Most of their fuses are under $.027 when bought in QTY10. They get much cheaper than that if you buy in QTY100.

Can you provide an example and a link? I've never had that luck with Mouser.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Can you provide an example and a link? I've never had that luck with Mouser.

Looks like they went up a couple of cents (looked at my order history, my last fuse order was 2012)...

The fastblows are still fairly affordable...The slowblows I ordered are NLA it appears (and were close to the same price as the fastblows, don't see anything comparable right now).... Here is a quick search breakdown by style-

Slow Blow- http://www.mouser.com/Circuit-Protection/Fuses/Cartridge-Fuses/MDL-Series/_/N-ba8h0?P=1yzxjmdZ1z0s1tmZ1yzseu5&Ns=Pricing%7c0

Fast Blow- http://www.mouser.com/Circuit-Protection/Fuses/Cartridge-Fuses/_/N-ba8h0?P=1yzseu5Z1z0z33z&Ns=Pricing%7c0

#28 3 years ago

I wish they still sold a larger variety of electronic components and less cell phone crap. They always try and sell you AA batteries at the register.

#29 3 years ago

I just grabbed a couple packs of fuses. Most of the values I wanted they were already out of. There really wasn't anything else there I needed or really wanted. I'm sad to see it go though, that RS has been there as long as I can remember and I used to frequent it when I was a kid. The only thing left on that side of the block that was there when I was a kid is the Brown's Chicken, the arcade, record store, gas station, and laundromat on that side of the street are all gone. On the other side of the street the McDonalds is the only thing left, the Hostess outlet, motel, drug store, tailor, and naked furniture are long gone too.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I was always a huge fan of mouser. They used to be real reasonable on .156 headers. I was about to order from them last week and I can't believe it, they are now almost double on some items as gpe. I would rather support them anyways. One main gripe is their kits are always out of stock. I would have ordered more but being on a Sunday and I hung for the order to get placed I didn't bother emailing.
    Fortytwo.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

5 for .75 cents at All Electronics

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/fs-1/1a-3ag-fuse/1.html

Of course you have to order $75 worth of crap for free shipping, so RS has them beat if you only need fuses.

#32 3 years ago

What fuses are most common for pins?
    In my area stores are closing next Thursday and parts bins are at $300 for 2. Each bin has 7 draws.

#33 3 years ago

My RS store at the Capital Mall (Olympia, Wash. ) had the fuses at 80% off. I got several 4 packs at 50 cents a pack! This store is now closed and gone as of the 15th.

#34 3 years ago

Looks like we all had the same idea about the parts bins. I was also quoted $300 a piece...

#35 3 years ago

Last I saw was 175. So the closer to close the cheaper they will be

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

5 for .75 cents at All Electronics
    http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/fs-1/1a-3ag-fuse/1.html
    Of course you have to order $75 worth of crap for free shipping, so RS has them beat if you only need fuses.

5A Slow Blow - 1.75 for a 5 pack.

An OK price, but not a great price.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

5A Slow Blow - 1.75 for a 5 pack.
    An OK price, but not a great price.

AEs product selection varies by the month, so you just have to shop the good deals (like 5 for .75) .

Even the 5A 5-pack is .25 cents cheaper than most places

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from t2:

What fuses are most common for pins?
    In my area stores are closing next Thursday and parts bins are at $300 for 2. Each bin has 7 draws.

Good question. I don't have enough experience to fully answer it. I know 90s pins you definitely want 5a sb. For 60s and 70s seemed like a lot more 6 7 8 and they are fast blow. And I know your not supposed to use automotive fuses. Unfortuantially because I have a pile of those.
    Would be a good idea for a sticky post.
    Fortytwo

#39 3 years ago

raided the parts trays which are currently 80% off!

I spent $50.00 and purchased well over 200 items.

a pack of 4 fuses was running anywhere from .30 to .65 cents.

the picture shows a small portion of my haul.

They are selling everything including the furniture (the parts drawers were $175.00 a piece not including contents)

rs.JPG

#40 3 years ago

I can't remember the last time I bought fuses. We keep a fully stocked little fuse inventory at work.

#41 3 years ago

Surprisingly ours has not even begun to show any signs of their closeout. Not even sales.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Surprisingly ours has not even begun to show any signs of their closeout. Not even sales.

Same here, talked to the guy there and he's in limbo. RS in the mall next town over is shutting down but looks like all their inventory is coming here. Guy says they might know more in March.

#43 3 years ago

The one near me was 70 to 90 percent off. Not much left. The parts drawers were 175 each section. However I did buy a shelf for 50 bucks in the storeroom had eight shelves and 8 ft tall. I do see another reason there going out of business both employees were on there cell phones the entire time. Then after one left to go to her other job. The other one announced he was going to wing stop and would be back later and just left me in the store taking my shelf apart. Other people came in asking me to help them( assuming I worked there being the only person in the store) I had to tell them the store employee was down at wing stop.image.jpg

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kramer:

The one near me was 70 to 90 percent off. Not much left. The parts drawers were 175 each section. However I did buy a shelf for 50 bucks in the storeroom had eight shelves and 8 ft tall. I do see another reason there going out of business both employees were on there cell phones the entire time. Then after one left to go to her other job. The other one announced he was going to wing stop and would be back later and just left me in the store taking my shelf apart. Other people came in asking me to help them( assuming I worked there being the only person in the store) I had to tell them the store employee was down at wing stop.

image.jpg 210 KB

This probably has more to do with the employees knowing that their store was closing down.

#45 3 years ago

Just got back with a nice load of fuses and a few other things. 70% off everything. 4 packs of slo-blo's were only $.70. I am also buying a parts drawer. $175 -50% off. Also got a nice deal on a Blue Ice usb mic($20) and some rechargeable batteries.

20150220_143049(1).jpg
    #46 3 years ago

I visited two stores, $37.45 for all pictured below:

rs1.JPG

Tip for everyone, the motor pictured below is a replacement for the jaw motor for Rudy and Red and Ted. All you have to do is transfer over the brass gear. I bought all they had, which was 6 motors. They ended up being $1.20 each at one store and 60 cents each at another store.

rs2.JPG

I also bought four parts cabinets and the roller base.

#47 3 years ago

Went back and raided the fuses. Ended up being about 18 cents a fuse.

#48 3 years ago

Our local one has already closed down

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Our local one has already closed down

Same here. No closeout sale at all. Just transferred all the stuff to our other local store.

#50 3 years ago

I did tonight. Bought fuses, shrink tubing, a radio for work and the best multimeter they had left. About $150 regular prices for $50.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 8,699.00
    $ 104.00
    $ 259.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 16.95
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7,499.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 250.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    € 40.00
    Boards
    FLIPPROJETS
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    € 27.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Arts Arcade
    $ 29.95
    There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside