11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dorothy-satan.gif
There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 11 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I just got back from Joystix, and had enough time to put in about 10 games on that same WOZ. It is a beautiful looking game, and the build quality is obvious. The biggest dissapoinment for me was the flipper power. Maybe it's just that specific machine, but they did feel underpowered. I had a hard time hitting the right ramp, and orbit shots barely made it around. In the ten or so games I played, I never once got into the spinning house. The upper left playfield was fun - and I did think the flying monkey was neat. The outlanes - especailly the left one - are brutal (set wide open).
As for the LCD - which is perhaps the biggest 'inovation' of this game - I'm beginning to think it's more for the spectators than the player. Maybe after you're more familiar with the game you'll have more opportunity to look up there. The crystal ball was neat, but again, not much opportunity to see it except between balls.
Again, probably specific to this game - but the plunger barely had enough power to put the ball into the playfield (easy fix, of course).
The code is obviously not finished - probably not even halfway there. I suspect once it's more mature, you will get more benefit from things like the LCD, crystal ball and LED lights.
In the end, I wasn't as blown away as I'd hoped. Perhaps I was a bit jaded, because I was there to pay for AC/DC premium. .

This was my experience pretty much exactly when I played it two weeks ago in Hershey. I know so many people have talked about it already, but man, WTF is up with the flippers already. It's pretty much the easiest fix on the machine and there are so many people that notice there is a problem there with them being underpowered.

It's a new machine - LCD problems, toy problems, speed problems, flow problems, design problems ... to be expected. But flipper power seemingly being the #1 most talked about and experienced issue that is noticeable even by non-pinball folk? It doesn't make any sense at all.

#102 11 years ago

If the flipper strength can be adjusted in the software like Capcom machines, then is it a situation of these "weak flipper" examples just needing the operator's to make an adjustment?

#103 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Wasn't that the CLEANEST factory you ever saw??

Well, as someone else noted, they're not running at full capacity yet. OTOH, it was also one of the best-organized assembly lines I've seen. Lots of little touches everywhere, color-coded parts bins at each station, simple visual layout guides, a rotisserie for every pf sliding along the rollers, etc. Even the support boards for the mini-playfields are attractive carved wooden stands.

#105 11 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

If the flipper strength can be adjusted in the software like Capcom machines, then is it a situation of these "weak flipper" examples just needing the operator's to make an adjustment?

I don't know about the games on location, but from what I've heard the ones being shown at shows are set to the highest power already, even the one that feels weak to most people. I'd assume the location games are defaulting to 32/32 as well?

#106 11 years ago

... if you are unhappy with the flipper strength, change the coil with a stronger one and set it to 16/32

That is what People do for years ... but watch out that you do not Smash your Plastics ... hehe.

#107 11 years ago

I'm coming from the country where the cost of this machine is equal to about eleven monthly salaries with a university degree and haven't been on this forum since christmas so don't judge me too harsh when I must ask this.... is it possible that this is still not a production machine?? It's been just around the corner at Xmas time and now it's 4 months since. Sorry, but had I put such dough in this and got it after sooo much time I'd judge it by what is delivered, production model or prototype. Have there been any rules update, even incremental?

#108 11 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

... if you are unhappy with the flipper strength, change the coil with a stronger one and set it to 16/32
That is what People do for years ... but watch out that you do not Smash your Plastics ... hehe.

And Jack said you copuld do that...but you will void your warranty.

#109 11 years ago
Quoted from Ika:

I'm coming from the country where the cost of this machine is equal to about eleven monthly salaries with a university degree and haven't been on this forum since christmas so don't judge me too harsh when I must ask this.... is it possible that this is still not a production machine?? It's been just around the corner at Xmas time and now it's 4 months since. Sorry, but had I put such dough in this and got it after sooo much time I'd judge it by what is delivered, production model or prototype. Have there been any rules update, even incremental?

There are a couple of threads here about the 0.90 and 0.91 newer firmware at the Michigan Expo. Check those for details/updates!

#110 11 years ago

I played an earlier version and in all honesty I was bored. bored worse than I was with the first code on wolverine. I many ways it reminds me of wolverine. beautiful game that is boring. after 15 games I was ready to sell. I cannot imagine getting wozle unless a) the code is dramatically improved and b) I get a chance to play 30 games on it. to say I was disappointed with both wolverine and wozle is an understatement. I predict many wozle's will be for sale within weeks of being received and no most won't go for a premium. new (better) code will change this. there is no way though that these games go for the premiums that all of the kool aid drinkers predict.

#111 11 years ago

Ok. Just got back from MI expo and played WOZ again. now with .90 roms. Flippers have been improved once again. Even the upper playfield has been greatly improved. Also, the playfield isn't a shit mess of color changing eyeburn. It's actually somewhat sorted out and more direction to where your suppose to go. Mechanically, the machine feels pretty good at this point.

I still have no interest to get one due to the theme. but I would be tempted to get Hobbit (once I play one) if the price drops sub $6500.

#112 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

.. with .90 roms Flippers have been improved once again.

That's good to hear. I'll have to circle back and give it another try once I've confirmed the one close to me has been updated.

#113 11 years ago

I don't think it was the roms that was the improvement tho. because they had 3 of them at expo. only one had the new code, but all 3 games were improved on flipper strength and snappyness. So whatever was causing the sluggy flippers has been addressed and resolved.

#114 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Ok. Just got back from MI expo and played WOZ again. now with .90 roms. Flippers have been improved once again. Even the upper playfield has been greatly improved. Also, the playfield isn't a shit mess of color changing eyeburn. It's actually somewhat sorted out and more direction to where your suppose to go. Mechanically, the machine feels pretty good at this point.
I still have no interest to get one due to the theme. but I would be tempted to get Hobbit (once I play one) if the price drops sub $6500.

Your Atlantis was the best in show in my opinion. Did you win anything?

#115 11 years ago

The game is built like a tank, no question about it. There's great potential for a deep ruleset but its going to take time to develop it. I can see purchasing WOZ in a year when hopefully complete code is released and any production bugs are fixed. There's not a doubt in my mind that WOZ wont be great, its just going to take a while to get there.

#116 11 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Your Atlantis was the best in show in my opinion. Did you win anything?

Thank you. Yes Atlantis Won Best in SHow for early Solid state. So got a trophy and some cash for that.

It also Won best in show at Midwest Gaming Classic 2 weeks ago for early solid state. Many said they have never seen nor played one. Which is why I really wanted to take it to shows, for it, to get some exposure. Seemed many loved the gameplay, rules and looks. Had a bunch of people that really wanted to buy it as well. Over the course of the 2 shows. It received over 2000 plays in 2 weekends.

#117 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Thank you. Yes Atlantis Won Best in SHow for early Solid state. So got a trophy and some cash for that.
It also Won best in show at Midwest Gaming Classic 2 weeks ago for early solid state. Many said they have never seen nor played one. Which is why I really wanted to take it to shows, for it, to get some exposure. Seemed many loved the gameplay, rules and looks. Had a bunch of people that really wanted to buy it as well. Over the course of the 2 shows. It received over 2000 plays in 2 weekends.

Cool. Well done.

#118 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Had a bunch of people that really wanted to buy it as well.

What would a machine like that sell for? ...if you don't mind me asking.

#119 11 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

I played an earlier version and in all honesty I was bored. bored worse than I was with the first code on wolverine. I many ways it reminds me of wolverine. beautiful game that is boring. after 15 games I was ready to sell. I cannot imagine getting wozle unless a) the code is dramatically improved and b) I get a chance to play 30 games on it. to say I was disappointed with both wolverine and wozle is an understatement. I predict many wozle's will be for sale within weeks of being received and no most won't go for a premium. new (better) code will change this. there is no way though that these games go for the premiums that all of the kool aid drinkers predict.

I would say that the WOZ code is probably 1/10 of what was initially released with XMLE.

#120 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

What would a machine like that sell for? ...if you don't mind me asking.

I had about 6 people come up to me and wanted the machine bad. Told them the same thing I tell you guys. There is no such thing as not for sale. Shoot me stupid money offer I can't refuse and it's yours. I told them $4500 would pry it from my hands. Even at that, I wouldn't be happy to let it go. I thought for sure it was going to not come back with us as one guy was very adamant about buying it. Actually was worried he would buy it. More I thought about it all weekend the more I don't want to sell it and $4500 is to cheap. There arn't many out there and I would have to do all the work over again, plus hard to find a nice cabinet like this one has. $5000 is my Rock bottom on this particular machine.

#121 11 years ago

Cool! Great looking machine! I'm looking at a CSI as well.

#122 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I had about 6 people come up to me and wanted the machine bad. Told them the same thing I tell you guys. There is no such thing as not for sale. Shoot me stupid money offer I can't refuse and it's yours. I told them $4500 would pry it from my hands. Even at that, I wouldn't be happy to let it go. I thought for sure it was going to not come back with us as one guy was very adamant about buying it. Actually was worried he would buy it. More I thought about it all weekend the more I don't want to sell it and $4500 is to cheap. There arn't many out there and I would have to do all the work over again, plus hard to find a nice cabinet like this one has. $5000 is my Rock bottom on this particular machine.

Incase anyone gets the wrong idea here (Atlantis $6,000 OBO)

Neo's machine is over the top exceptional, and he wants to keep it.

most should be under $ 1,500 imho

#123 11 years ago

yes, atlantis can be had for $500-1000 fairly easily if your looking. Mine has been restored all around. By no means does my $5000 price tag reflect going rate. It's just $5000 of value to me.

#124 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yes, Atlantis can be had for $500-1000 fairly easily if your looking. Mine has been restored all around. By no means does my $5000 price tag reflect going rate. It's just $5000 of value to me.

Yeah, no price policing from me. I would feel the same. Was your clear coat done with a complete teardown or just the top side?

#125 11 years ago

I'd love to play one. Maybe one will make it to Allentown...

#126 11 years ago

sorry, not going to allentown. I need to clean this thing up too. My girl got dirty after 2000 plays. Needs to be cleaned and rerubbered already. Plus a drop target got busted on saturday, so I have to redo the decal on that target.

Clear was done half populated. Normally I would strip it all off, but since I can do it in house and I was on a time deadline, I had to bust out this restoration in 2 weeks, or I would have been too backed up with others playfields. Just masked off from the back what I could. Turned out great. There is only once thing I would have changed if I was going to restore the playfield again, and that is the giant saucer at the top middle. Instead of leaving that all exposed wood, like it normally is. I would have done a whirlpool art on it. Which I didn't think of until I had it partial repopulated. Ah well.

#127 11 years ago

Thanks for doing this Cap! I know I could NEVER bring one of my babies down and have them beat up like that.

#128 11 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

I would say that the WOZ code is probably 1/10 of what was initially released with XMLE.

It is about the same.
No MB scoring Magneto. Magneto MB started the game. lol
Wolverine no MB, no nothing
Shaker weak.

#129 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

It is about the same.

Agree to disagree.

#130 11 years ago

I put some time on WOZ at the London Pinball Championships and it is extremely difficult to judge the machine fairly as it was far from finished. Cabinet, playfield, LEDs, mechs etc are clearly of a very high quality indeed but the code we had (0.5 something) was utterly appalling. I don't have anything in this race other than wanting JJP to succeed and start producing games within their given timeframe and at a sensible price (WOZ is going to be pretty expensive over here - but then recent NIB Sterns have followed suit and so if this is the legacy we end up with from JJP nobody wins!)

I will happily play a finished machine at other collectors' houses or in the wild, if they are about, but I doubt very much that I would want to own one and that's mainly due to the theme; I struggle to get past that music. Very much looking forward to playing a complete game though and taking things from there.

#131 11 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Agree to disagree.

That's fine

Compare the games when they are done.

Keith vs Waison. lol

#132 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

That's fine
Compare the games when they are done.
Keith vs Waison. lol

Ahhh, light shed. Did you sell your xmen before the latest update? Its much better. Sorry for your loss.

I don't think the two will be comparable after they are done either. I have a hard time comparing any widebody to a standard machine.

For the most part I prefer standard size. But I'm taking my chances with WOZ.

#133 11 years ago

It played it and liked it. Quality finish all over! Great sound system. Playfield is packed. Its down to code. I spoke with Johnson and he has alot planned. 8 different multiballs etc.

#134 11 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Ahhh, light shed. Did you sell your xmen before the latest update? Its much better. Sorry for your loss.
I don't think the two will be comparable after they are done either. I have a hard time comparing any widebody to a standard machine.
For the most part I prefer standard size. But I'm taking my chances with WOZ.

After I think the third update I traded. Glad it is better. I liked the layout.

Quoted from Av8:It played it and liked it. Quality finish all over! Great sound system. Playfield is packed. Its down to code. I spoke with Johnson and he has alot planned. 8 different multiballs etc.
» YouTube video

I believe in KJ.

#135 11 years ago

I played the machine at Comiccon in NYC last October.

I wrote up a mini review here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-jjp-nyc-comiccom-adventure-a-little-long

The one thing I will say is. I played this game. It is fun. It is beautiful. And anyone one of you will be proud to have this in your collection. I can't see how you could not. Trust me.

Should Jack stop giving us un realistic deadlines?
Yes

Does the game still need work and polishing?
Yes

I am sure in the end.. whenever that is (hopefully soon) it will be a fine tuned beautiful pin that everyone can enjoy. JJP is really putting a ton of new technology in this game. some of which have never been done before. There are lots of bugs to work out I am sure. But if you don't have the finished code it is going to be impossible to fine tune. And then even when the code is completed.. there is still going to be more testing.

Of course..I was hoping like the rest of the gang that I would have had it by now..but the bottom line is the more people that bother Jack with all the "where's my WoZ?" questions, the more it takes him away from completing his real work. On the line. Getting WoZ out the door.

I am not holding my breathe..but when the game comes ..it comes.. at this point.
It would be crazy to back out now IMHO

-Joe

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

13,000 (OBO)
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 16.95
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.00
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.50
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 91.00
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-has-played-woz-and-liked-it/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.