11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dorothy-satan.gif

There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 11 years ago

I played WOZ at the Texas Pinball Festival (saw that it was having problems after) and thought it was a fun machine.. but not sure I'm ready to or want to buy one. I'm just going to sit back and see how it does when released. I have too many games and have to trade/sell games to make room for new ones, and I don't see adding this one w/o confirmation that I'm going to like it.

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I've played it and IMO the layout sucks, both main shots are up the middle. Software can't save that...

hmmmm, sounds like TZ, and we know EVERYONE hates that game!

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Those who can't tolerate negative opinions of WoZ will not want to read the OP here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/played-woz-for-first-time-in-hershey-on-saturday

Actually, I respect the thread you reference, posted as such, and gave the guy a thumbs up. He posted his negative opinions by explaining his reasoning in such a way that others could understand and appreciate his point of view, even if it doesn't match their own.

Unlike a single paragraph that includes such gems as "it sucked", "no point to the game" and "worthless turd". And then in defense, pulls out "fucking", "dickhead" and "lame ass". This should command our respect?

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Ruh-roh, Shaggy...absocountry2 will certainly not like this.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion good or bad. Not everyone is going to like everything. I'm not a fan of WOZ theme and some design aspects, but I can see the potential for the future stuff JJP could do if he survives this opening releases for the first couple games. By game 4 or 5, he will be fairly stable and solid. Anytime before that, it's going to iffy. That's why i'm surprised he's shooting himself in the foot so early with the way he's handling the Hobbit situation. Not a good idea to take advantage of people willing to support you when your company is still very fragile.

If he doesn't survive long, WOZ owners are going to have a hard time keep their games up and running down the road. That boardset is going to be made out of unobtainium.

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

hmmmm, sounds like TZ, and we know EVERYONE hates that game!

I kinda like TZ, but not enough to buy one.
I also like alot of things about WOZ , but not enough to buy one either!!!

Not EVERYONE has to like what you like...

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Stern IJ or NBA experience.

Getting a BBH or TRS exsperiance would of been much better.

#57 11 years ago

Think the look is great, and all for better quality, metal wireforms etc - hopefully Stern may focus on some of these aspects going forward.

Also whilst the theme does nothing for me, it was a good choice as a different demographic will be drawn to it.

But, playing it was a disappointment. Mini-playfields I don't care for generally so these were no different. Widebodies are slower and WOZ is a slowish game. I thought from day 1 that the music would not to my taste and nothing has changed here. So, can't see myself ever wanting this game.

But, Hobbit maybe.

I still think Wizard Blocks is the game that is the most likely to get kids to play pinball. A big LCD screen is great for those watching but Wizard Blocks still looks cutting edge and is so interactive for the player.

#58 11 years ago

I like it!!!!!

#59 10 years ago

Could you not add stronger coils to he game after th fact?

Added upgraded coils to LOTR.

Played WOZ at MGC a few times with latest code. Flipper strength was not an issue.

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Could you not add stronger coils to he game after th fact?

Added upgraded coils to LOTR.

Played WOZ at MGC a few times with latest code. Flipper strength was not an issue.

Apparently a version of code affected the flipper strength so all should be ok, I think the idea was only to use 2 sizes of coil in the whole game and make each fully adjustable in the settings. On the one I have the lower flipper coils are on full power and the mini playfield ones at 1/2 power as they don't need to hit as hard, it also keeps the noise down!

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Actually, I respect the thread you reference, posted as such, and gave the guy a thumbs up. He posted his negative opinions by explaining his reasoning in such a way that others could understand and appreciate his point of view, even if it doesn't match their own.
Unlike a single paragraph that includes such gems as "it sucked", "no point to the game" and "worthless turd". And then in defense, pulls out "fucking", "dickhead" and "lame ass". This should command our respect?

Golly gee Wally I'll have to work really hard from now on so I can get a thumbs up from Sunfox. Thats really what I want more than anything in the world.

Post edited by absocountry2 : Personal attack and profanity removed. Not allowed see pinside community rules

#62 10 years ago

I was 1000% on board for WoZ, I like the theme, like the art and apparent high build quality. I am on order for number 97 regular edition.

But having read most of the posts of people who have played it, I don't get the great feeling about this game.

It's like some people hate it and other people think it's OK (needs a lot of work on the rules etc..)

I have found very few who say it is a great playing game or is great as is. It sounds like it is depending solely on the software to make or break it.

I am deeply concerned and may back out and wait and see.

If its really flawed there may be a flood of used games on the market as well as many unsold as people back out.

It's sad to think there was more optimism 6 months ago than there is now when there should be a near finished game to test out.

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Golly gee Wally I'll have to work really hard from now on so I can get a thumbs up from Sunfox. Thats really what I want more than anything in the world.
(**Attack and profanity removed by mod**)

One word: wow.

Post edited by absocountry2 : Personal attack and profanity removed.

#64 10 years ago

(**post removed by mod**)

(**Stop the attacks and profanity, both sides warned.**)

#65 10 years ago

Soooooo, Mets & Yankees tonight....

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I was 1000% on board for WoZ, I like the theme, like the art and apparent high build quality. I am on order for number 97 regular edition.
But having read most of the posts of people who have played it, I don't get the great feeling about this game.
It's like some people hate it and other people think it's OK (needs a lot of work on the rules etc..)
I have found very few who say it is a great playing game or is great as is. It sounds like it is depending solely on the software to make or break it.
If its really flawed there may be a flood of used games on the market as well as many unsold as people back out.
It's sad to think there was more optimism 6 months ago than there is now when there should be a near finished game to test out.

I agree with everything you said. I am worried that I may have spent $6500 for a game that I won't like and cannot sell but if I sell it now and it turns out to be a great game after the software is finished I will be kicking my own butt if I sell now.

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Just my opinion/viewpoint here: I think a lot of the WOZ discussions are just silly. Pretend it's a Stern game, and you haven't even seen the pf yet; details are never revealed until he game is done and practically ready to go out the door. So, pretend WOZ was just announced this week with pf pics and some feature lists. Forget everything else you've seen and read. Why? Because all the opinions and comments are based on prototypes, a work-in-progress. The production hardware hasn't been seen or played yet. And I bet there are still some features not presented yet.

What I do feel confident in predicting is that the rules of WOZ will be great, with lots to do and great interaction with playfield shots and toys. Anybody complaining about lack of modes/things to do is complaining about a prototype, not WOZ. And yeah, I've played it and the flippers are just fine thankyouverymuch.

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I agree with everything you said. I am worried that I may have spent $6500 for a game that I won't like and cannot sell but if I sell it now and it turns out to be a great game after the software is finished I will be kicking my own butt if I sell now.

If you've owned every pinball machine you've ever wanted to own OR simply love the WOZ theme, then I understand your dilemma. If not, then there are plenty of great machines for $6500 that you can buy today.

The conservative approach with any large purchase is to see/touch/play/drive/etc. the final production version before you make the leap.

I ordered a new fangled electric car (http://www.fiskerpalmbeach.com) over 2 years ago and decided to get my 5k deposit back after driving the prototype. Beautiful looking car, but just didn't drive well from my perspective. Since there are so many other fuel efficient cars to choose from, I simply bought something else!

Good luck...it's only pinball

#69 10 years ago

I went to play some pins at a local place called Joystix this past Friday. I saw WoZ there and it looks great. unfortunately that thing had a crowd around all night it that I didn't get a chance to play it that night. Looked great. People we're taking pictures of themselves playing it. wow

-Rev

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from revmex:

I went to play some pins at a local place called Joystix this past Friday. I saw WoZ there and it looks great. unfortunately that thing had a crowd around all night it that I didn't get a chance to play it that night. Looked great. People we're taking pictures of themselves playing it. wow
-Rev

I was there and that is the one I played.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I was there and that is the one I played.

it was my first time being there. how do you get (or call) next play when the machines are free all night? Then again, I like to observe and lay back so I was enjoying other games but everytime i returned it was like the crowd wasn't dying out.

-Rev

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Just my opinion/viewpoint here: I think a lot of the WOZ discussions are just silly. Pretend it's a Stern game, and you haven't even seen the pf yet; details are never revealed until he game is done and practically ready to go out the door. So, pretend WOZ was just announced this week with pf pics and some feature lists. Forget everything else you've seen and read. Why? Because all the opinions and comments are based on prototypes, a work-in-progress. The production hardware hasn't been seen or played yet. And I bet there are still some features not presented yet.
What I do feel confident in predicting is that the rules of WOZ will be great, with lots to do and great interaction with playfield shots and toys. Anybody complaining about lack of modes/things to do is complaining about a prototype, not WOZ. And yeah, I've played it and the flippers are just fine thankyouverymuch.

What about those who have played it and feel it doesn't have many shots that flow together very well? They plan on addressing that with future code releases??? Can't see the ball at all as it approaches upper flipper and where is the shot that flows from that flipper???

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

What about those who have played it and feel it doesn't have many shots that flow together very well? They plan on addressing that with future code releases??? Can't see the ball at all as it approaches upper flipper and where is the shot that flows from that flipper???

The right /upper flipper? There is a magnet that will catch the ball and give you a chance to tee-up a shot just like the Venom shot in SM, but with a magnet instead of a gate.

That is a code fix isn't it?

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The right /upper flipper? There is a magnet that will catch the ball and give you a chance to tee-up a shot just like the Venom shot in SM, but with a magnet instead of a gate.
That is a code fix isn't it?

Correct. That's what the magnet is for
(amongst other things)

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I was very surprised at the quality of the shots and the fact that I had no trouble making the infamous ramp shot.

I find this interesting, I also played at TPF and I would say 50% of my shots to the ramp got rejected. I could be a sucky player but speaking to a few people there it seemed mixed regarding that ramp shot.

I think it looks nice and well built. But after playing it at TPF I was not blown away and I will give it another go when the code is more complete at the end of the day we don't know how good or bad it will be until the code is done.

JJP has been great for the pinball industry and lets hope industry continues to grow.

#76 10 years ago

My wife and I got a chance to play WOZ down at the TPF. To be honest, I didn't *want* to like it as I didn't want the expensive price tag in my future.

We first played two games each on the tourney machines. The lack of voice callouts for needed shots seemed pretty apparent. If you can stop to look up the video screen, you'll see notifications of what you need to shoot. There was a group of 4 or 5 of us trying to find the "Collect" shot for quite a while until we finally saw it under the upper right flipper, (raise right flippers, shoot it so as to bank off the bottom of the upper right flipper and back into the shooter lane). Kinda neat shot once you find it.

I managed to break the first tourney machine on my second ball though. The Ruby Slipper glued to the right flipper came flying off and stuck itself onto the playfield where it landed. Only the JJP staff had keys to the thing so we had to just shut it off and move to the 2nd machine to play the tourney games. Not a big deal, they obviously need better adhesive on those things though.

Flipper power? Plenty. We were able to make all ramp shots easily and I did notice that if you had a bad entry to a ramp and only made it partially up it, the balls did NOT roll SDTM when they came back. That's a welcome thing to see as tons of other pins tend to do that.

Looks like there will be plenty of stuff going on once the software is done. There is already some neat magnet use though the third one on the right orbit never seemed to activate. The witch toy is slick, and the crystal ball is just damn cool. Art and lighting is by far the best implimentation I've seen in a pin yet, better than ACDC Premie or Tron LE. Theme is still Munchkin land though, so it's not going to appeal to everyone.

So after 4 games on the tourney machines and 4 more games on the one in that area left of the tourney setup, we both came away from it wanting to get one. Even though it's unfinished, there's enough really good stuff there that we considered it to have great potential.

That being said, if one of you that have a $6,500 investment want to sell out, I'm looking to buy!

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I will be kicking my own butt if I sell now.

If you are worried sell it now and make some money on it. Because at the end of the day the difference between the production and the LE model is very little and I'm sure you could pickup production model cheaper in the long run.

That is my plan if I like it after the code is finished.

#78 10 years ago

Well, I played it in December so there is a lot more going on now as more updates have been added. All I can say is, I couldn't get my wife off it, and she is not a pinball player. I am a fast pinball fan, but I'm buying a WOZ. I think it's got enough fun factor to pick one up. It's not for everyone, I get it, but my wife, kids, and down the road grand kids, will probably love it. I don't buy pinball machines for just myself.

#79 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Correct. That's what the magnet is for
(amongst other things)

Exactly. The code affects what you have to shoot at and how the shots flow together. Ball locks, diverters, magnets and insert lights all need to be programmed for the shots and flow to be distinguishable.

By merely looking at the game at this stage of the programming it is simply not possible get a proper feel for how the game will play when everything is finished.

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Soooooo, Mets & Yankees tonight....

1:05 is the game time. If you're expecting to tune in tonight, you'll be too late.

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Excellent post. I would imagine this is due to WOZ being their first pin. Hobbit will be different.

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from revmex:

it was my first time being there. how do you get (or call) next play when the machines are free all night? Then again, I like to observe and lay back so I was enjoying other games but everytime i returned it was like the crowd wasn't dying out.
-Rev

Normally people take turns but Friday night was jam packed and I waited to play WOZ and the 2 people playing it would not get off. I played Avengers and made comments about people hogging the game till he got the hint and got off. My son who is almost 6ft plays football and can throw a man bigger then him across the room stated loudly that the douchebag need to get off the game.

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

1:05 is the game time. If you're expecting to tune in tonight, you'll be too late.

Hah! I guess you can tell I'm really not a big baseball fan. Football and boxing for meee!

#84 10 years ago

I had the chance to play a bunch of games on WOZ, thanks to the
open house Rick of Bay Area Amusements held.

Here are a few thoughts.

At this point I was just trying to see
how the game felt to shoot since there is so much yet to be
incorporated into the rules, lighting effects, display effects etc.

I found WOZ to be very fun to shoot. I thought the main shots were
satisfying to hit. I especially liked the smoothness of the ramp shot
and the orbits, and that the Wizard shot did not bounce out when hit.
I did not get much opportunity to spin the house, but the witches
castle playfield was fun and challenging to get all the letters.

One thing I really liked was the nudgeability of the game. I tend not
to be a big nudger, but the state fair pop bumper begs you to push the
machine around, and once I started it was very fun to do it during
regular game play. The outlanes can be killers, but sometimes they can
be avoided with appropriate nudging.

I thought the game had a good balance of randomness versus
skilled play.

The flippers were not as powerful as the BBB right next to it, but
they didn't feel bad to me, just different. I had no problem making
any of the shots and it was easy to cradle the ball, bump pass, etc...

The rear leg levelers were about half way out. The speed of the game
was okay, but I would probably raise the rear legs a little more.

Shot wise, the upper right flipper is one thing I question as the only
unique shots it seems to have is the skill shot target through the pop
bumpers and opening it to create a return lane to the shooter . I
imagine it can be made more useful if hits made by it count more than
similar hits by the lower flippers or at random. I'm sure Keith will
find interesting ways to use it.

In all, I was very pleased with the game. Can't wait to see future
developments.

#85 10 years ago

I really liked it. Just wish I could afford it!

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

Excellent post. I would imagine this is due to WOZ being their first pin. Hobbit will be different.

I'm willing to bet TH development/schedule will be different (and smoother!). Why? Because with WOZ they put together (from scratch) the cabinet design (with display, speakers, etc.), the cpu and driver boards, lighting system, programming environment, flipper controls, etc. etc. The Hobbit will be more of a design exercise on an established platform, which should avoid a lot of the startup headaches! (Although JJP may well tweak the WOZ platform for #2.)

As a WOZ LE pre-orderer, I am not worried. Game will ship soon, it should be of very high quality (based on what I saw at the factory), and the rules/gameplay should be killer as it develops (based on what I've seen in Keefer's earlier programming efforts). WOZ delivery is a *lot* closer now than when I pre-ordered 2.3 years ago, so I'm not sweating a few weeks at this point. Just one perspective.

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

(based on what I saw at the factory)

Wasn't that the CLEANEST factory you ever saw??

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I'm willing to bet TH development/schedule will be different (and smoother!). Why? Because with WOZ they put together (from scratch) the cabinet design (with display, speakers, etc.), the cpu and driver boards, lighting system, programming environment, flipper controls, etc. etc. The Hobbit will be more of a design exercise on an established platform, which should avoid a lot of the startup headaches! (Although JJP may well tweak the WOZ platform for #2.)
As a WOZ LE pre-orderer, I am not worried. Game will ship soon, it should be of very high quality (based on what I saw at the factory), and the rules/gameplay should be killer as it develops (based on what I've seen in Keefer's earlier programming efforts). WOZ delivery is a *lot* closer now than when I pre-ordered 2.3 years ago, so I'm not sweating a few weeks at this point. Just one perspective.

I still think we are looking at a summer release.

#89 10 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Is it fair to judge the gameplay while the game's software is so terribly incomplete?
I don't believe it is, which is why I haven't been trying to track one down for a play-session.
First impressions can be massively important.

I agree with this statement completely but I would add, "Is it fair to sell a pin before it is complete".

I guess most buyers now are aware that the new pins are generally not the finished product upon release. Do the manufactures advise buyers when they put their money down that the product they receive may not be the completed product upon receipt?

Not griping since I am nowhere near being able to afford one of these but just an observation really and a bit curious about how other people feel.

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from Jor0822:

I agree with this statement completely but I would add, "Is it fair to sell a pin before it is complete".

I would say absolutely not, but I'm crazy like that.

I don't besmirch those who do, but I would never hand out money for a machine that doesn't exist. And if I were to play the part of an interest-free loan operator or financial investor, then I would expect some kind of discount or dividend.

#91 10 years ago

Guess yer not buyin' too much from JJP...

#92 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Wasn't that the CLEANEST factory you ever saw??

Yeah, but they usually don't get dirty till they make more than a dozen

#94 10 years ago

OT- spfxted you are close to winning the emoticon award- You have used it 10 times today-keep it going!

#96 10 years ago

oops...I mean...

#97 10 years ago

I have around 2-3 hours of total playing time on it. Mainly earlier software versions.

Its like driving walking up to a new Ferrari. You pace around it, lifting the hood, ogling over how nice the paint job, fit, finish, etc. You then start it and it makes an incredible sound. You put it in first gear and it stumbles a bit but it moves along alright. When you hit a straight away, you dump the clutch and nail it. It then hits about 2500 RPM and a rev limiter. You also notice that it won't get out first gear. What you are left with is an extraordinary car that really doesn't do much.

If Keith's code turns out to be the Colombo V12 being hoped for, it will be a pretty awesome game. But right now, its just running on 2 cylinders and has one forward gear.

#98 10 years ago

I've played it two or three times. The toys are cool, the shot lines look good, there are some great animations, great music tracks, great sounds, great lighting effects. The art is amazing, the finish and craftsmanship is like no other pin... It's hard to imagine that the gameplay won't be great too once the code is done.

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

I've played it two or three times. The toys are cool, the shot lines look good, there are some great animations, great music tracks, great sounds, great lighting effects. The art is amazing, the finish and craftsmanship is like no other pin... It's hard to imagine that the gameplay won't be great too once the code is done.

With Keith in charge of the code, it's a good bet that we'll see some great rules and fun play.

#100 10 years ago
Quoted from revmex:

I went to play some pins at a local place called Joystix

Quoted from zr11990:

I was there and that is the one I played

I just got back from Joystix, and had enough time to put in about 10 games on that same WOZ. It is a beautiful looking game, and the build quality is obvious. The biggest dissapoinment for me was the flipper power. Maybe it's just that specific machine, but they did feel underpowered. I had a hard time hitting the right ramp, and orbit shots barely made it around. In the ten or so games I played, I never once got into the spinning house. The upper left playfield was fun - and I did think the flying monkey was neat. The outlanes - especailly the left one - are brutal (set wide open).

As for the LCD - which is perhaps the biggest 'inovation' of this game - I'm beginning to think it's more for the spectators than the player. Maybe after you're more familiar with the game you'll have more opportunity to look up there. The crystal ball was neat, but again, not much opportunity to see it except between balls.

Again, probably specific to this game - but the plunger barely had enough power to put the ball into the playfield (easy fix, of course).

The code is obviously not finished - probably not even halfway there. I suspect once it's more mature, you will get more benefit from things like the LCD, crystal ball and LED lights.

In the end, I wasn't as blown away as I'd hoped. Perhaps I was a bit jaded, because I was there to pay for AC/DC premium. ...which IMHO looks every bit as good, and played much better. Once you add theme and music into the mix, it just re-enforced my purchase decision. I'm going to have my own little NIB unboxing party tomrrow night - YEAH BABY!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-has-played-woz-and-liked-it/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.