Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by alexanr1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Who has one pinball by choice?”

• One pin. Totally content 5 votes
      7%
    • One pin but curious 6 votes
      9%
    • I tried to stop at one but the force was too strong 54 votes
      77%
    • Told the partner “I’ll only get one” or “this will be my last one”. 2 votes
      3%
    • Had many, cut back to one. 3 votes
      4%

(70 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF2014 (resized).JPG
    DSCF2105 (resized).JPG
    6AE5862E-E10B-4370-BEFF-E1372B64907C (resized).jpeg
    21573F63-273F-4A3C-8E4C-2E067762C544 (resized).jpeg
    20170903_170627 (resized).jpg
    23066 (resized).jpeg
    20170903_171706 (resized).jpg
    23067 (resized).jpeg
    21F34660-0491-49A6-BBB3-B800F469A205 (resized).png
    #1 2 years ago

Just read a post saying that they had just the one pin and were completely content and will only ever have the one.
    Just wondering how common this is? I know there’s people that have a single game because of room or affordability constraints but I’m truly curious to see if many people can truly stop at just one.

#2 2 years ago

Gary stern

#3 2 years ago

We had only twilight zone for 20 years.

Then, last winter we bought Sth and now we have 7.

#4 2 years ago

I’m down to 1...... but have 2 in transit......and Mermaid ordered. but technically 1 at the moment.

#5 2 years ago

Started with my IJ back in ‘98 but it’s like eating a potato chip you can’t just eat one. No way.

#6 2 years ago

Just bought my first one & I already want more!!!

#7 2 years ago

I only planned on having one pinball machine for my gameroom. Now I have 28.

#8 2 years ago

Not counting my first, I’ve been down to one set-up game a handful of times (TSPP, AMH). There are definitely positives, like getting to know a game really well, which can be a blessing for deep games. I also think I play pinball more with fewer games, which sounds odd. Time is a challenge, so perhaps just quicker and easier with fewer. I’ve had just one for over a year by choice, but ready to get the next game, so it didn’t last!

#9 2 years ago

Always have had that thought....instead of being a hoarder and going down the never ending rabbit hole-what if you just owned one game? My thought is-buy every new game that comes out, and enjoy the experience of exploring all of the different aspects. From new pin discussions(which is great) to tweaking and modding, etc. Once the honeymoon stage or the next flavor of the month comes up-dump it- and then start to pump the next title again. Pump and dump-rinse and repeat

#10 2 years ago

Thread reminds me of one pin on a deserted island what would you choose?

For me-LOTR?

Would need something deep but after a couple months-the precious would probably be destroyed out of frustration and turned into firewood

#11 2 years ago

I have one real pin and a virtual pin. I would love to have more but I'm pretty content with what I have for now. Won't be at least a year til I could even get another.

21F34660-0491-49A6-BBB3-B800F469A205 (resized).png21F34660-0491-49A6-BBB3-B800F469A205 (resized).png
    #12 2 years ago

I loved playing pinball as a kid/teen, and when I got older it never occurred to me to buy one for my house. One day my sister points out an ad to me in the paper (remember those) about a KISS pin for sale. At the time I was in a KISS tribute band. So I went and looked at it, guy had about a dozen games. He showed me how to take the glass off, all the newbie stuff, and said it was a collectors item, I shouldn't really play it that much (probably accounts for the outrageous $800 price tag lol).

At the time my daughter was about 7, and her and her friends were all OVER that thing. So I called the guy and said, Hey, that game is getting played 24/7, I need a decoy, whadda ya want for that Space Invaders game you had there? So $400 later I sat Space Invaders next to it. And those were the only 2 games I had for a few years.

One day a buddy calls and says "Hey, theres a Terminator 2 pinball machine for sale at this little sandwich shop where I live".....so $800 later I sat a T2 in between KISS and Space Invaders. T2 is obviously way more advanced than either of the other 2 - ramps, speech, music, multiball, light show, and THAT woke up the 13 year old kid in me that used to love pinball - and I was off and running. Within a few years I had at least half a dozen A list games, all but 1 of which I still own. We're at about 25 games now, more or less - the core collection and then some others that float in and out. In fact, the basement/game room was a big factor in the house we chose when we moved 7 years ago - many were discarded out of hand because of weird layouts/dampness/etc. We were lucky enough to find a house we liked, in a neighborhood we liked, and it was totally bare concrete. We were able to plan the design and lights and electrical exactly how we wanted.

The short version - never planned on having a game, but if I only had room for one, I would probably have one. If I had room for another 25, I would have 50.

(P.S. The photo on the amp and the wall behind it are from my KISS band days). Sorry such a long post, brought back some good memories -

20170903_170627 (resized).jpg20170903_170627 (resized).jpg20170903_171706 (resized).jpg20170903_171706 (resized).jpg23066 (resized).jpeg23066 (resized).jpeg23067 (resized).jpeg23067 (resized).jpeg
    #13 2 years ago

And that’s why I’m still on the fence about pulling the trigger for my first one. Not sure how long I’ll be able to stay on the single side of the force for…

1 week later
    #14 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I loved playing pinball as a kid/teen, and when I got older it never occurred to me to buy one for my house. One day my sister points out an ad to me in the paper (remember those) about a KISS pin for sale. At the time I was in a KISS tribute band. So I went and looked at it, guy had about a dozen games. He showed me how to take the glass off, all the newbie stuff, and said it was a collectors item, I shouldn't really play it that much (probably accounts for the outrageous $800 price tag lol).
    At the time my daughter was about 7, and her and her friends were all OVER that thing. So I called the guy and said, Hey, that game is getting played 24/7, I need a decoy, whadda ya want for that Space Invaders game you had there? So $400 later I sat Space Invaders next to it. And those were the only 2 games I had for a few years.
    One day a buddy calls and says "Hey, theres a Terminator 2 pinball machine for sale at this little sandwich shop where I live".....so $800 later I sat a T2 in between KISS and Space Invaders. T2 is obviously way more advanced than either of the other 2 - ramps, speech, music, multiball, light show, and THAT woke up the 13 year old kid in me that used to love pinball - and I was off and running. Within a few years I had at least half a dozen A list games, all but 1 of which I still own. We're at about 25 games now, more or less - the core collection and then some others that float in and out. In fact, the basement/game room was a big factor in the house we chose when we moved 7 years ago - many were discarded out of hand because of weird layouts/dampness/etc. We were lucky enough to find a house we liked, in a neighborhood we liked, and it was totally bare concrete. We were able to plan the design and lights and electrical exactly how we wanted.
    The short version - never planned on having a game, but if I only had room for one, I would probably have one. If I had room for another 25, I would have 50.
    (P.S. The photo on the amp and the wall behind it are from my KISS band days). Sorry such a long post, brought back some good memories -
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Amazing!!

#15 2 years ago

Never played pinball three years ago, now I have ten and plans to expand the house

#16 2 years ago

The most was 6 now 0, waiting for BSD from HRP. Am ready to buy more but waiting for more remakes... maybe ? and prices of 90's B/W are just stupid atm. Decided to spend 85k on a boat instead, so in short i will have BSD very soon & possibly a remake in the future. Take it easy Ash

#17 2 years ago

I have two but am contemplating going down to one. I still enjoy pinball when I play but I don't really play enough to have two machines and tend to focus on one over the other for long periods of time. The "problem" is that I enjoy both games I own for different reasons and they compliment each other very well. I'm putting together a golf simulator area in my garage and told myself I'd sell a pin to justify the cost -- I just didn't tell myself exactly when I had to do this (plus it's not like the values are going down, right???). Maybe the end of summer . . . yeah that sounds like a good plan.

Anyway, I really do think I could live with one pin quite easily and it seems like the right amount for how much I play, frankly. Although, I do often spend a dumb amount of time trying to figure out what pins I would get if I had five -- so the bug is still kind of there.

#18 2 years ago

Once I found my one true love I knew I didn’t need any more pins. Grew up with her in the arcade and now she’s all mine!!

21573F63-273F-4A3C-8E4C-2E067762C544 (resized).jpeg21573F63-273F-4A3C-8E4C-2E067762C544 (resized).jpeg
    #19 2 years ago
    6AE5862E-E10B-4370-BEFF-E1372B64907C (resized).jpeg6AE5862E-E10B-4370-BEFF-E1372B64907C (resized).jpeg
    #20 2 years ago

Me. I have only one. Back in the mid 90's I played a pinball at a local arcade. It was so hard to score with 3 balls that drained almost instantly, gobbling my quarters. One flippers was weak, but that added to the challenge. Then 10 years later, I found another version of the same pinball in a sandwich shop near work. It was a total wreck. Very beat up and played worse than the previous one. Then retirement came and I had time on my hands.
    I have only one. I told the wife, I only need one. And she said no. That we needed a bigger house first. That I needed to get rid of my vette and/or camaro. That there was no room in the garage because of all my useless car parts (spare engines, trans, and rears). I cleared out enough space for one Pinball in the middle of the garage. Then rented a uhaul truck and bought a pinball. I don't listen to well. Then I went about learning about pinball repair. I rebuilt it from the ground up. I have owned it for 6 months now. And play it almost every day. I set it to 4 player, easy settings, 5 balls. I turn up the volume on the Pinsound Board that blasts Jimi Hendrix with occasional callouts from the game. LOL.

DSCF2014 (resized).JPGDSCF2014 (resized).JPGDSCF2105 (resized).JPGDSCF2105 (resized).JPG
    #21 2 years ago

Yes I am good with one, just sold my TFTC had for years and debating forever on my next one, can’t decide no matter how many I play but I believe it’s either Metallica, GNR or Iron Maiden. Just not a repair guy or care to dig into figuring it out how to or have much luck with technology so one is good. I enjoy being in my pinball league for many years and lucky to play many great machines at others homes in our league.

#22 2 years ago

I just have 1 (this zero seems to hang around the 1 though) 10

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-has-one-pinball-by-choice?hl=manadams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.