(Topic ID: 64176)

Who has been criticized for selling a pin "too low" on Pinside this year?

By Hawkeyepin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by davewtf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Who has been criticized for selling a pin "too low" on Pinside this year?”

• I have been contacted indicating I was selling my pin for too little. 11 votes
      28%
    • I have not been contacted indicating I was selling my pin for too little. 28 votes
      72%

(39 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

imagesCA5HJ949.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

A number of posters recently have indicated they were contacted publically or privately that they were selling their pin too low or driving the price down. Has that happened to you?

#2 10 years ago

People actually sell pins?

#3 10 years ago

"I sold a pin for cheap on Pinside once!" - said no one ever.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

#4 10 years ago

Agreed! No deals to be had here.

#5 10 years ago

Driving the price down on Pinside???? LOL

This place has a well-earned reputation for having high selling prices. It is ridiculous to even think that people would be upset about prices being driven down unless they consider their collection as retirement money.

#6 10 years ago

People sell pins cheap??? and are criticized for doing so? Dont see this happening

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Triumvirat73:

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

love it!

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from TurboBengal:

People sell pins cheap??? and are criticized for doing so? Dont see this happening

I could see it happening from people who overpaid on their own game and are worried about their collection losing 'value'

#9 10 years ago

If anyone gets an email like that then post the person's name publicly, I will mock them.

Only example I can think of is the $3600 AC/DC Pro thread from the other week, there was some of that whining there.

#10 10 years ago

. If I'm trying to sell a pin for X dollars, and you are selling the same pin(let's assume same condition/mods if not better) in the same rough region, for less than X, you are unfairly competing with me. And I'll get angry and stuff.

/sarcasm. Sell it for what you want, and ignore the haters. Do a hip hop victory dance if it sells.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

If anyone gets an email like that then post the person's name publicly, I will mock them.
    Only example I can think of is the $3600 AC/DC Pro thread from the other week, there was some of that whining there.

Which is ridiculous. A game sold at a good deal does NOT mean that is the new price (same for when a game sells for a crazy high price.)

On the whole pinsiders seem way more concerned about the value of their games/collections than most other groups involved in pinball.

#12 10 years ago

The bottom line is that no one should be criticized for trying to sell a pin at any price!

#13 10 years ago

Price is just one side of the triangle. The other 2 sides are:

- how long the seller is willing to wait to get his asking price
    - the quality of the game, and how well the pictures convey that

I tend to sell too low, because I'm not out to make a profit, and I usually have a friend or acquaintance lined up to buy the game. It's not worth $200-300 more to drag it out and deal with strangers.

#14 10 years ago

Price Pumpers at it again. Or well meaning folk trying to help someone "Dumb" out
    Been going on for a long time.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

The bottom line is that no one should be criticized for trying to sell a pin at any price!

I don't entirely agree. That's why this is an open forum. (Besides, price pumpers need to be counteracted with price deflators sometimes. Don't worry too much. The pumpers have obviously been winning the war based on the run up in prices over the last few years.) I haven't done it, but I'm not saying that it's beyond the realm of possibility, especially on what I deem to be an outrageous price. However, just as there is usually some degree of truth to stereotypes, there is usually some reason why someone's for sale post draws criticisms. I've never had anyone criticize a for sale post that I've made and my machines typically go within a day or two. Why is that? I'm honest, descriptive, and fairly priced when I sell. When it's time to broom a game, it's because I want something different. I don't squabble over a couple of hundred dollars.

In the event that you ever think that what I price a pin is out of line, criticize away. I don't really care. As people around here say, if it's priced right, you will soon know in the way of a relatively quick sale.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Price is just one side of the triangle. The other 2 sides are:
    - how long the seller is willing to wait to get his asking price
    - the quality of the game, and how well the pictures convey that
    I tend to sell too low, because I'm not out to make a profit, and I usually have a friend or acquaintance lined up to buy the game. It's not worth $200-300 more to drag it out and deal with strangers.

Totally!

#17 10 years ago

What I don't like is when I see the same game in close to the same condition priced at $1400.00 and another priced at $2800.00, in the same geographic area.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

What I don't like is when I see the same game in close to the same condition priced at $1400.00 and another priced at $2800.00, in the same geographic area.

Why, this isn't WalMart...

People sell for all kinds of reasons. Some need to sell quick to pay bills. Some just test the market and really don't care if it sells and some just have little idea about pin values so various prices come about. No biggie...

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Why, this isn't WalMart...
    People sell for all kinds of reasons. Some need to sell quick to pay bills. Some just test the market and really don't care if it sells and some just have little idea about pin values so various prices come about. No biggie...

YES...YES...

#20 10 years ago

I've been told a couple of times that I sold games too low and that I had missed out on money.

It doesn't bother me when people say that.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from Triumvirat73:

I sold a game on the cheap side. I was praised, not reprimanded.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-jd-1200-madison-wi-cash-and-carry

#22 10 years ago

Lol the beginning of the end...

#23 10 years ago

Ive seen a few good deals on here, I dont know why you guys say there are none here.

As for scolding people. Give me a break, mind your business people.

#24 10 years ago

I'm new to pinside but I can't figure person X complaining about person Y selling low unless person X is just out to make monitary gain as their goal. IMO Lower prices mean more people can afford pins which means more pinheads which I think is awesome.
    To each their own but I am happy when I see other people get good deals. It gives me hope that there is some real life pinball karma out there.

#25 10 years ago

Wow looks like the 3600 acdc will be remembered forever! I was the one who sold it and the price police are still mad about it. It is what it is guys, pins are losing value, get over it.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from Fast-Ed:

Wow looks like the 3600 acdc will be remembered forever! I was the one who sold it and the price police are still mad about it. It is what it is guys, pins are losing value, get over it.

it's not the price police who are mad about it...

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

The bottom line is that no one should be criticized for trying to sell a pin at any price! Unless the person is selling 1000 pins and calling them limited.

Fixed

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from Fast-Ed:

It may well be. The sale I'll always remember is someone was selling a Wh20 last year for $3500 and there was bitching aboot the price being too low.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

I'm with teekee on this one. It's a thinly traded market and pricing isn't efficient. The consensus estimate of a few guys in a website forum isn't authoritative. If you don't like the price, then don't buy it.

#30 10 years ago

not me

#31 10 years ago

I have when I sold my Scared Stiff several people commented that I had it too low right in the thread.

#32 10 years ago

I sold my Shadow to kwiKi for not enough, but he didn't criticize me.

#33 10 years ago

I sell all my pins for way to little $$$. I was told this when I sold motorcycles also.

imagesCA5HJ949.jpgimagesCA5HJ949.jpg

#34 10 years ago

I don't know if I sell my pins too low, or if you guys just pay too much for pins, LOL....

I price my games to sell on this site within an hour to two hours when I don't have a game already sold to someone that had previously expressed interest (which is usually how I sell them). I hate the process of selling machines, not a fan of tire kicking and time wasting. The only thing I try to get maximum value out of is my time, not pinball machines.

#35 10 years ago

So far, I've sold every machine I've ever sold for about what I had into it, excluding time and misc. stuff like LED's...

I've lost pretty good on a couple of trades, though.

#36 10 years ago

Since I'm still wet behind the ears I think I still buy too high, but I know it when I do it.

I don't think I'll ever get what I put into these pins if I ever sell them. That's ok. I love the hobby anyhows.

#37 10 years ago

My wife always says I sell my pins for too low of a price. Does that count?

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from JosiahCox:

I'm new to pinside but I can't figure person X complaining about person Y selling low unless person X is just out to make monitary gain as their goal. IMO Lower prices mean more people can afford pins which means more pinheads which I think is awesome.
    To each their own but I am happy when I see other people get good deals. It gives me hope that there is some real life pinball karma out there.

you'll learn... you pretty much are there with the first sentence of your post...

person x wants to "defend" the "value" of their machine... if person y sells theirs for less, it creates a sales data point that discomforts person x....

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I don't know if I sell my pins too low, or if you guys just pay too much for pins, LOL....
    I price my games to sell on this site within an hour to two hours when I don't have a game already sold to someone that had previously expressed interest (which is usually how I sell them). I hate the process of selling machines, not a fan of tire kicking and time wasting. The only thing I try to get maximum value out of is my time, not pinball machines.

Just right.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-has-been-criticized-for-selling-a-pin-too-low-on-pinside-this-year and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.