• 125 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by djb_rh
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Driving game in the basement?”

• Yes, they are a good addition and add variety to the game room. 101 votes
    77%
  • No, it will never get played and the space is better with a pin there. 15 votes
    11%
  • What's a driving game? 1 vote
    1%
  • Bacon! 14 votes
    11%

(131 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5179_(resized).JPG
IMG_5980_(resized).JPG
a1b480d5aac75df1-133.jpg
20130118_100502.jpg
image-625.jpg
image-674.jpg
arcade2.jpeg
DSC00848.JPG
DSC01018.JPG
DSC01027.JPG
DSC01021.JPG
20141015_214350-1.jpg
image-196.jpg
DSC01681.JPG
gr 1.jpg
image-84.jpg
There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 10 years ago

I have a Hydro Thunder and love it. The "Thunder" series by Midway are a blast. I'd love to get the sequel H20verdrive some day.

http://www.habosarcade.com/Hydro%20Thunder.htm

#102 10 years ago
Quoted from Direwolf:

Mario Kart Arcade GP

I really like the look of those. Mario Kart is one of my favorites. What's a good price one?

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

I really like the look of those. Mario Kart is one of my favorites. What's a good price one?

I paid $1800 for mine about 7 months ago which I think was pretty fair considering they don't come up too often. I am a big fan of the Mario Kart games and after playing it at Dave and Busters I knew I was going to pick one up. It definitely plays differently then the console games since Namco made it but it is a lot of fun.

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from Direwolf:

I paid $1800 for mine about 7 months ago which I think was pretty fair considering they don't come up too often. I am a big fan of the Mario Kart games and after playing it at Dave and Busters I knew I was going to pick one up. It definitely plays differently then the console games since Namco made it but it is a lot of fun.

Thanks for the info!

#105 10 years ago

I have a single Mario Kart I just got in on trade if you're looking for one. Sold it to the guy years ago, he's now moving and needed all his games gone. It's in really nice shape. I'd need $2300.

Especially better to have Mario Kart GP in a pair though because of the camera. Nothing like passing your friend and having them look at your face with Luigi's mustache on it

#106 10 years ago

Love this thread. I am looking for a driving game now and have never owned one. The kids all want one and also a big buck hunter. I would love to have two linked but only have two slots in the basement. I'm actually going to pull out a pin just to be able to get one in. Swords of fury will be going up on the block to make room. I'm really wondering if it is worth it to get two drivers and hold off on the buck hunter. I am going to go see a rush 2049 tomorrow night, but he only has one. I think I need to reconfigure the basement To fit everything.

#107 10 years ago

I have a single sit-down Cruisin USA. Love it and the kids play it all the time. Also, have a stand-up Hang-On (with Super Hang-On board in it.) Also have a Nicktoons Racing and Ivan Stewart's Super Off Road on location.

#108 10 years ago

Final Lap 2 double sitter over here.

#109 10 years ago

who has a stand up HT? How do you like it compared to the sit down? To save room they seem great..... LOVE HT!!!

H2Overdrive is at my local "adventure zone" and I have thrown some money at it. Would be a great console game.
HT hurricane on xbox 360 live is a great sequal. And I had HT on my windows phone Hence my avatar!!

#110 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

4: no. I had 60-70 people around last week and not everyone likes pinball. The driving game and the air hockey table give people some other things to play instead of the RD pin overload
rd

I don't even know 60-70 people lol. Nice gameroom!

#111 10 years ago

Two seat Initial-D, single cockpit Race Drivin (and a second I need to refurb and get in there linked!), a 4 player Sega Hot-Rod, and a big sit-down three screen iRacing simulator (for sale).

What can I say, I like racing games.

My other non-pinball games are an air hockey, skeeball, Chexx ice hockey, foosball, EA Golf game, Putting Challenge II, Merit countertop trivia, Hot Shot basketball, Slugfest, and some other random arcade video games.

--Donnie

#112 10 years ago

What are some of the better games based on challenge and playability long term? Looking in the $1000 range.

A little bird mentioned to me that Midway games are more reliable and less expensive to maintain than Sega or Atari.

Any truth to that? Looking to get a driver (and after reading this probably 2) after my basement remodel, which will be starting mid January.
Any ideas?
Thanks

#113 10 years ago

I've got an old 2 player super off road. I wish I could make it a little more stable. It's lots of fun, but I can emulate it on an old POS computer, or play it on an old NES just as well as it plays in my cabinet, and it'd be more stable.

Eventual driving games I'd like? A pair of linked Hydro Thunders, a pair of linked H2 Overdrives, a Crazy Taxi and a Crazy Taxi High Roller. Those are the only vids I really 'like'

#114 10 years ago

Unless I've missed it, a few driving games I haven't seen mentioned: Pole Position II, any Ridge Racer, Final Lap / Final Lap II, and Rush the Rock. Or how about the real Grand Daddy of first person drivers, Night Driver?

#115 10 years ago

No better race gms than 2049. Have 3 linked. With added tracks

#116 10 years ago

Final Lap and games of that I'll drive me crazy with how the speed up the guy in second place. Once you and a buddy get decent at the game it becomes a game of strategy. You wreck yourself at the right time if you're leading so you fly by the other guy right at the end. And it's not as hard as it sounds to do.

No staying power in a home because of that, IMHO.

--Donnie

#117 10 years ago

I always liked those massive multiplayer seat cabinets.

I am not sure of the name, but it could be something like daytona, from sega. Could play with 4 players, with wheel and clutch and seats.

Awsome arcade racer.

#118 10 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Looking to get a driving game in the basement. Have a lead on a Need for Speed. Only one though. I don't have room for 2, so that is not an option
For those that have a driving game:
1) What do you have?
2) Do you play it?
3) do you regret getting it?
4) Would you rather have a pin in that spot?

2x off-road thunder (looking for more).
Mostly for the kids, but I play it a lot.
Not at all.
Nope. 21 pins is a good amount and racers fit in areas with lower head room.

9 months later
#119 9 years ago

Picked up a pair of 42" H2overdrives recently.
Pretty good replay with the code entry feature and player specific stats.
image.jpgimage.jpg

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from blimpey:

Picked up a pair of 42" H2overdrives recently.
Pretty good replay with the code entry feature and player specific stats.

image.jpg 176 KB

I love these! I've been a hydro thunder fan since it's release. I wish they released a home version. Hope you enjoy them!!

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I love these! I've been a hydro thunder fan since it's release. I wish they released a home version. Hope you enjoy them!!

I think I read somewhere that the developer Specular interactive does not port their arcade games, Dirty Drivin, Batman, H2overdrive, to home systems so they remain exclusive arcade titles.

There is a pretty good Hydro Thunder game on the x-box 360 Arcade.

#122 9 years ago

Had a pair of f430s. Very good game and hard to master.

#123 9 years ago

I have a simple Pole Position, but the kids love it. For some reason they are into retor video games right now.

#124 9 years ago

Ive got a dual SEGA Outrunners. Great game, broke it down into a million parts to take it downstairs and then put it back together. If I had a walk-out, id look for another racing game, id love a Daytona, everyone loves them. That said im still looking for a Sega Hang-on, I could make that fit!

#125 9 years ago

I love my Driving Games as well.... My collection is mostly Sega:

Sega: Daytona USA 2 U/R, Sega: Scud Race "PLUS" Twin U/R , Sega: Ford Racing: Full Blown Twin, Sega:  Grid Twin, Sega Rally 3 Twin, Sega: F-Zero AX Deluxe Motion, Nascar Twin: Global VR, Custom Mame

20131110_210545.jpg20131110_210545.jpg 20131110_210523.jpg20131110_210523.jpg 20131110_210307.jpg20131110_210307.jpg 20131110_210200.jpg20131110_210200.jpg 20131110_210114.jpg20131110_210114.jpg 20140821_201520.jpg20140821_201520.jpg
#126 9 years ago

Here's one I put a ton of quarters in way back when - STUN RUNNER. Vector graphics at their smoothest. The newer driving games are way more fun and pretty to look at. But still enjoy stun runner.
--
Jeremy - Central WI

P1202939.JPGP1202939.JPG full front flyer.jpgfull front flyer.jpg full flyer back.jpgfull flyer back.jpg
#127 9 years ago

I built a MAME standup driving cabinet. Ended up trading it for a Spring Break pin, but might make another some day. It worked really well for most older games. Crusin USA didn't play well because the steering was weird but cames like ironman and super sprint were great because you could spin the wheel unlimited each wayimage-820.jpgimage-820.jpg. image.jpgimage.jpg

#128 9 years ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

Here's one I put a ton of quarters in way back when - STUN RUNNER. Vector graphics at their smoothest. The newer driving games are way more fun and pretty to look at. But still enjoy stun runner.
--
Jeremy - Central WI

P1202939.JPG 298 KB

full front flyer.jpg 169 KB

full flyer back.jpg 130 KB

S.T.U.N. Runner is AWESOME! But darn they are awkward and darned heaqvy to move! I might pick one up once day though, Always enjoyed that game!

Chris

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from FullBlown:

I love my Driving Games as well.... My collection is mostly Sega:

Wow! I've never even heard of that Ford Racing game! Where and how did you find it? Was it actually made for the US market?

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Wow! I've never even heard of that Ford Racing game! Where and how did you find it? Was it actually made for the US market?

Very light USA distribution... I believe it was one of the first games made after the fall and reorganization of Sega USA.
I had to order it and have it shipped from the UK. It is s beautiful looking game16025101.jpeg16025101.jpeg

16025102.jpeg16025102.jpeg

flyfrfbdx.jpegflyfrfbdx.jpeg
#131 9 years ago

That is really sweet! Id be all over one of those if I ever find one.

#132 9 years ago

Wish I could sell my Sega/EA Sports NASCAR Arcade driving game, I really want a simulator.

#133 9 years ago

FullBlown, do the cabinets on the Ford Racing separate for transport or does it have to be moved as whole unit? I have a line on a set and was wondering... awesome setup btw!

#134 9 years ago

Who else remembers this one? It was unparalleled in its day! I'd love to own one, but I have no clue if there are any replacement parts or boards out there.

For those who own these 10-25 year-old driving games, what do you do when something breaks?

Road_Riot_4WD_-_1991_-_Atari.jpgRoad_Riot_4WD_-_1991_-_Atari.jpg

1181242156288.gif1181242156288.gif

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

In order to move them you have to detach the driver seat assembly, of course, but getting them through the door and down into the basement was very hard. I took off everything I could (screen, cashbox, dash assembly) to lighten them up. Also took off the marquee just to avoid banging it into something and damaging it while my buddy and I wrestled the still-heavy cabinet through the door and down the stairs (there was no room in the stairwell for a third person to help). Then I reassembled them. I'll have them until I die, because I don't see myself taking them apart to ever try to carry them up the stairs.

You went through all that? I just took off the seat section of my Sega/EA Sports NASCAR Arcade, built a ramp out of 3/8in plywood, attached a sling around one piece at a time and slid them down. Took 3 guys but we didn't even break a sweat. If I ever want to get it up I'll buy an electric wench, about $100 and wench it up on a slide.

#136 9 years ago

I just picked up a Sega F355 Ferrari Deluxe. Three screens and loving it.

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

You went through all that? I just took off the seat section of my Sega/EA Sports Nascar Arcade, built a ramp out of 3/8in plywood, attached a sling around one piece at a time and slid them down. Took 3 guys but we didn't even break a sweat. If I ever want to get it up I'll buy an electric wench, about $100 and wench it up on a slide.

I had the same issue as cammi. 3 sets of stairs and 2 tight corners. I took EVERYTHING apart, including most of the cabinet which was screwed and glued! of coarse the monitors, wheel and dash assemblies, basically everything, the 2 tall sides of the cabinet even. Carried down just the base and everything else piece by piece. Then screwed it all back together, wow.

Id do it again for the right game though, everyone loves them. ( note to self, should have done Daytona instead. )

#138 9 years ago
Quoted from TrevixClemson:

FullBlown, do the cabinets on the Ford Racing separate for transport or does it have to be moved as whole unit? I have a line on a set and was wondering... awesome setup btw!

The Twin Set Comes fully apart (pardon the pun).
My set came from JNC sales UK. ( great service btw)

Here are a few video links

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from FullBlown:

The Twin Set Comes fully apart (pardon the pun).
My set came from JNC sales UK. ( great service btw)
Here are a few video links
» YouTube video
» YouTube video

http://www.jnc-sales.co.uk/

#140 9 years ago

The setup. Stripped and re-painted the chairs, added new t-molding and think they look great.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#141 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Wish I could sell my Sega/EA Sports Nascar Arcade driving game, I really want a simulator.

Paul, you probably could sell your boardset for a nice chunk of change. The Hikaru board set is impossible to repair and super pricey to replace

#142 9 years ago

Have you played the 2nd one? I have never seen it in the wild
Sega Ferrari F355 Challenge 2

blockquote cite="#1946896">I just picked up a Sega F355 Ferrari Deluxe. Three screens and loving it.

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Who else remembers this one? It was unparalleled in its day! I'd love to own one, but I have no clue if there are any replacement parts or boards out there.
For those who own these 10-25 year-old driving games, what do you do when something breaks?

Road_Riot_4WD_-_1991_-_Atari.jpg 173 KB

Hahah! I remember Road Riot! It had kickers in the seats that kicked when you got hit or shot. Pretty cool!

Chris

#144 9 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

The setup. Stripped and re-painted the chairs, added new t-molding and think they look great.

Sorry I just have to ask-whats up with the Barbie Doll collection above your collection. Is it a half and half deal with the wife-just curious?

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Sorry I just have to ask-whats up with the Barbie Doll collection above your collection. Is it a half and half deal with the wife-just curious?

Clearly the is needed when asking a "just curious" question.

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from FullBlown:

Have you played the 2nd one? I have never seen it in the wild
Sega Ferrari F355 Challenge 2
» YouTube video
blockquote cite="#1946896">I just picked up a Sega F355 Ferrari Deluxe. Three screens and loving it.

Wow, didn't even know they made a two.

#147 9 years ago

Haven't seen a Sega Virtua Racing posted yet so i'll throw my hat in the ring. Right monitor needs a cap kit. How hard is it to do one of these? I am reasonably good a soldering but never pulled a monitor before.
image-262.jpgimage-262.jpg

#148 9 years ago

Image 37.jpgImage 37.jpgImage 33.jpgImage 33.jpgImage 3.jpgImage 3.jpg1015_front_org.jpg1015_front_org.jpg

#149 9 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

Image 3.jpg 288 KB

Image 33.jpg 189 KB

1015_front_org.jpg 183 KB

Image 37.jpg 263 KB

Well Played

Chris

#150 9 years ago

Just sold my Outrun but still have the Spy Hunter. Two of my faves as a kid. Spy Hunter is so brutal, I love it.

IMG_7712.jpgIMG_7712.jpg

There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-has-a-racing-game-in-the-arcade/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.