• 125 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by djb_rh
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Driving game in the basement?”

• Yes, they are a good addition and add variety to the game room. 100 votes
    77%
  • No, it will never get played and the space is better with a pin there. 15 votes
    12%
  • What's a driving game? 1 vote
    1%
  • Bacon! 14 votes
    11%

(130 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 55 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5179_(resized).JPG
IMG_5980_(resized).JPG
a1b480d5aac75df1-133.jpg
20130118_100502.jpg
image-625.jpg
image-674.jpg
arcade2.jpeg
DSC00848.JPG
DSC01018.JPG
DSC01027.JPG
DSC01021.JPG
20141015_214350-1.jpg
image-196.jpg
DSC01681.JPG
gr 1.jpg
image-84.jpg

There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

I 100% concur with this. And I will also add, when I went from 1 pair to 2 pairs the fun factor of my racers increased exponentially. It is much more fun to race against 3 other people than just 1 other person. Not saying I'm not burning up a lot of my real estate with them, but they are the centerpiece of my gameroom and the one thing that really makes my basement fun for a party.

I'd like to get a second set.. but my gameroom is downstairs, and the first set of Daytona's I put down there almost cost me a brother and 2 friends...

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I'd like to get a second set.. but my gameroom is downstairs, and the first set of Daytona's I put down there almost cost me a brother and 2 friends...

I hear you there. Most of my friends were about to leave me with the old house setup that I had. With the new house I have a walkout basement, and we poured a continuous stair less sidewalk all the way around from the front driveway. I only wish we had put a wider door in there...

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Moving sit-down drivers isn't something you can con people into doing more than once. We got ours from a guy who had them in his basement. Driving away, my friend turned to me and said he's pretty sure that's the hardest thing he's ever done in his life.

#54 5 years ago

I just added a seated 2049, and LOVE it. Only added one primarily due to concerns you've listed, and am now actively seeking a second for a connected pair. It's a blast!

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

SilverUnicorn,
What you are seeing here are a bunch of guys with racers that have PAIRS. This is very important if you are going to get an arcade racer. If you arent getting a pair of racers, there are only a small handful of racers out there that are fun as a single.

Well said! 2 or more linked racers is *key*. Getting one now then a second in a month is fine too, though most collectors (that I've seen) tend to sell in pairs anyways.

#56 5 years ago

I have a pair of Global VR Need For Speed Undergrounds (linked) They are a lot of fun, but GVR pc's suck and need work at times.
004e4efb7ad2493c2547ac241b9fd1e916f247fe.jpgf85174f7b26d1e4616aefb657b0fa1334b38140c.jpg26c26b13af81d1b9ba34a5bc814167e619f826a9.jpg

#57 5 years ago

1) What do you have?
Original upright Pole Position

2) Do you play it?
Still restoring it, so not as much as I might

3) do you regret getting it?
Nope!

4) Would you rather have a pin in that spot?
If you don't have room for variety, you need more room!

#58 5 years ago

I no longer have racers in my house (used to at my old house, guests loved them) but I've sold hundreds of them, and too many of them I personally delivered/set up. Nothing like delivering with the understanding of putting them in a garage or first floor to then be told when you get there before payment, "oh, we decided we NEED them in the basement." I can't believe my back still bends; I'll probably be paying for it later in life.

Having a pair for most titles is key. Games like Hydro Thunder, Cruis'n USA/World, California Speed are all over the place now and relatively cheap. If you want a newer game like H20 Overdrive, Dirty Drivin, NFS Carbon, etc...break out the wallet because most of the few that were sold are still being held onto/operated since there isn't much better.

Beware some of the early Global VR and Chicago Gaming (Nicktoons Racing) games...cheap cheap parts in them.

Chris if you're looking for something else specific let me know, I come across these games all the time. Moving some Sega Race TVs and Mario Kart GPs in a few hours, actually.

#59 5 years ago

Thanks for the replies!!!

I am amazed how many have racers. I think I will look for a set, once I determine they will fir through the door and that I have room for them.

Thanks for all the pointers too!

Appreciate the responses!

Chris

#60 5 years ago

I have a Rush and a Pole Position. Someday I'll pick up a Hydro Thunder as well. Not enough room to have linked machines - I'm fine with the singletons.

#61 5 years ago

I WILL have a pair of Rush 2049's eventually. But not the SE's. The SE was just a gussied up version of the Sega Dreamcast game. Gameplay was identical and graphics took a slight turn downward. Never had as much fun on an SE as I have a standard.

They usually go for decent money at the Captain's auction down in L.A. It's just a matter of time, but I will own them!

#62 5 years ago

We have two Daytona USA's linked, two Rush the Rocks linked, a Crazy Taxi and a Hydro Thunder.
They pretty much only get played during parties.
Every year we have a single elimination tournament with our Daytona USA drivers and getting everyone involved competing is a blast. We have them set up in catch-up-mode so races are almost always close and decided on the last lap.
Kids love em.

#63 5 years ago

I have two linked Cruis'n Exoticas along the wall just outside my pinball room (they would take up too much space in the room). I deliberately sought out Cruis'n Exoticas because the graphics are greatly improved over Cruis'n USA and Cruis'n World. They weigh a lot and are big and bulky. In order to move them you have to detach the driver seat assembly, of course, but getting them through the door and down into the basement was very hard. I took off everything I could (screen, cashbox, dash assembly) to lighten them up. Also took off the marquee just to avoid banging it into something and damaging it while my buddy and I wrestled the still-heavy cabinet through the door and down the stairs (there was no room in the stairwell for a third person to help). Then I reassembled them. I'll have them until I die, because I don't see myself taking them apart to ever try to carry them up the stairs.

I very seldom fire one of the two up and drive through the sequence of road courses by myself. But anytime visitors come over they get used more than any of my pinball machines. Anyone who plays pinball by always pressing both flipper buttons at the same time (which drives me crazy) gets more enjoyment out of the sit-down driver games. If you stink at pinball your game lasts a matter of seconds, and maybe you move on and try another one of the pins and that game lasts only seconds, too. But even novices get to drive most of each race (until another player or one of the machine-controlled cars reaches the finish line).

#64 5 years ago

1) What do you have?

Sega Turbo upright

2) Do you play it?

Yes.

No. Most played (non-pin) at parties. (This could be due to difficulty...most people never make it past the first stage).

Hard to say - I'm obsessed with pins right now, but I could buy 10 Turbos for the price of a pin.

Saw someone mentioned Crazy Taxi. Based on the number of times I played it on the Dreamcast, I can confidently say that I'll never get tired of it - though eventually you'll get to the point where a game lasts you 45 minutes...which isn't something you'll always be up for. That game in particular would probably be great replay value for you, as an owner, but would probably be less of a hit with guests who would probably get more out of Cruisin USA or Daytona.

#65 5 years ago

I have a few. Super Sprint gets the most play. 3 player kicks butt. I also have Outrun, classic. A Cruzin World is hard to get to along with a pair of Sazuk 8 Hour motorcycles. Those kick butt.

Recently gave away a Cisco Heat.

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Looking to get a driving game in the basement. Have a lead on a Need for Speed. Only one though. I don't have room for 2, so that is not an option
For those that have a driving game:
1) What do you have?
2) Do you play it?

1: Sega twin Skud Race
2: personally, not a lot. But it gets a thrashing when I have people over
3: no ... Plus I got it really cheap ($650 nzd!! Whooop!)
4: no. I had 60-70 people around last week and not everyone likes pinball. The driving game and the air hockey table give people some other things to play instead of the RD pin overload

rd

image-445.jpg

#67 5 years ago

I have Sega Super GT twin set up and most of the kids love it when people are over. Actually most of the adults love it as well. Also have a CART Fury not set up in my office warehouse. Anyone play this driver game? Any good? Worth me setting it up at home? I got it in a trade for a decent price but space is at a premium so I haven't bothered to set it up yet.

#68 5 years ago

Hydrothunder
H2Overdrive
Dirty Drivin
Rush series
NFS

Some machines come in a stand up version, so maybe you could fit two? or one stand up one sit down? Also check to see if you can swap hdd's and get a new game, like someone mentioned earlier, going from NFS to NAscar. that would help keep games fresh without buying a whole new unit. Raw thrillz still sells kits like that to swap/trade games w/ same cab.

#69 5 years ago

I have a soft spot for my Monaco GP mini - yea I know far from being one of the better technical games, but it's mine, all mine. Plus it is small and takes up little space.

Gets played more than my other videos, seems to be a party favorite and no regrets in buying (and restoring) it.

Edit: link to picture: http://members.shaw.ca/junkuser1988/Monaco/IMG_0399.JPG

#70 5 years ago

Always wanted one, but they take up too much room for my setup.

#71 5 years ago

I had an upright 'Great 1000 Miles Rally 2' at one point, which I loved, but ultimately I converted the cab into a multi-cade. I have always wanted to get a twin sit-down setup going as I have room in my garage, but I just haven't had a chance to play many of the racers out there. The only games I have had a lot of time on are Daytona and the Cruisin' series. Not big on Daytona racing in general and the AI in the Cruisin' series is kinda lame. They all just race in organized fashion on a fixed path. I see California Speeds for sale around here all the time and it looks cool, but never got to play. I have always been a Need for Speed fan on the consoles, but never got to play an arcade version... Hydro/Arctic Thunder are cool, but I'm a car guy. Really digging the feedback on these games. What are the different NFS games and is California Speed worth investing in?

Brian

#72 5 years ago

I have a Cruis'n World

Love hitting the animals & turning them into T-Bone steaks lol

I really want to get a Cruis'n USA restored with new decals that can switch from the dedicated Cruis'n series boards plus hack the Happ force feedback wheel with emulators & Pc games.

Then it would be authentic & emulated lol

It's the #1 played toy when people visit

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from wontwa:

I just added a seated 2049, and LOVE it. Only added one primarily due to concerns you've listed, and am now actively seeking a second for a connected pair. It's a blast!

Hit me up, I think I have one.

Just an FYI on the older racing games, most require the Software versions to match before they will link up. So before you buy a Rush 2049 for a pair, make sure you check your software versions

JJ

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from CCary:

I have Sega Super GT twin set up and most of the kids love it when people are over. Actually most of the adults love it as well. Also have a CART Fury not set up in my office warehouse. Anyone play this driver game? Any good? Worth me setting it up at home? I got it in a trade for a decent price but space is at a premium so I haven't bothered to set it up yet.

Cart Fury is a really good game. It pretty hard though

Plug it in at work and check it out.

#75 5 years ago

Had cruisin world was cool but got old fast guests loved it it weighed a ton when I got rid for new pin hard to get my money back as well

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from Snowyetti:

Had cruisin world was cool but got old fast guests loved it it weighed a ton when I got rid for new pin hard to get my money back as well

Crusin world is a horrible game... Even linked....

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Love hitting the animals & turning them into T-Bone steaks lol

You mean maken bacon?

#78 5 years ago

Here's mine! 2nd only to Bubble Hockey for most played. Everyone loves driving games.-Joe

DSC04199.JPG
#79 5 years ago

I don't have any now, but wouldn't mind getting an outrun 2 or an initial D cab. I'm in no rush as my kids are still young, but the oldest one is starting to get into video games. He is still at the button mashing stage though, so he's mainly been playing some cave SHUMPS on my imported 360' and some marvel vs capcom 3.

#80 5 years ago

I had a Pole Position and a Turbo mini. I really liked Turbo because PP had so many issues.

#81 5 years ago

I need to go dust off my Pole Position and warm that thing up.

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Crusin world is a horrible game... Even linked....

nice to read this - I thought it was just me...

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

I had a Pole Position and a Turbo mini. I really liked Turbo because PP had so many issues.

I forgot to add I also have a Turbo mini to go with the Pole Position cockpit. You have good taste in racers. For me the Turbo had more problems than PP. Still want a Monaco GP mini. Had one and miss it every day over ten years later.

Would love to have a newer one but just don't have the room for one.

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

I forgot to add I also have a Turbo mini to go with the Pole Position cockpit. You have good taste in racers. For me the Turbo had more problems than PP. Still want a Monaco GP mini. Had one and miss it every day over ten years later.
Would love to have a newer one but just don't have the room for one.

Love the headlight pattern on the tunnel/nighttime scenes.

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

I have 4 linked Daytonas in my basement. They take up a ton of room and the CRT monitors are a pain to keep running but I would never get rid of them. Most popular game(s) by far, a fun racing game that doesn't require a huge learning curve to figure out how to work them for novices. There is a reason they kept making these things for like 10 years and they earned so well.

2008 Gameroom Daytona 004.jpg 50 KB

Wow this is my dream one day. I've been wanting a Daytona of any sort since I started 6 years ago but have never had the space to make it happen.

#86 5 years ago

I have Daytona twins in the garage. They are very fun game and company always wants to play them. The sound is good and the default setting allows the player in second place to go faster towards the end to catch up to the player in the lead.

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

I have Daytona twins in the garage. They are very fun game and company always wants to play them. The sound is good and the default setting allows the player in second place to go faster towards the end to catch up to the player in the lead.

That really pisses me off when I lose. But, overall, it's why the game is so fun......

#88 5 years ago

I had a full size 18 wheeler that was HUO. I bought it from a vendor that had closed and it sat NIB for about 6 yrs. had to leave it in my old house because it would not fit thru the door to get to the basement in new house.

Also had a sit down Daytona prior to that.

I'm looking for a pair of linked sit down driver now, just not sure what. Need to fit thru a 32in door.

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Here's mine! 2nd only to Bubble Hockey for most played. Everyone loves driving games.-Joe

DSC04199.JPG 274 KB

Love the super cars, I have the newest need for speed carbon and when I was buying it was between super cars and NFS I let me kids make the disision.

#90 5 years ago

A photo of my driving wall. The Daytona 2 cab is running Super GT. I have the complete collection of all Sega model 3 board sets and security donagles to switch out games in a couple minutes.

Hydro Thunder
Off Road Thunder
Fast & Furious Drift
Outrun upright

Had a pair of 2049's Tournament Editions, but traded them away for a pin.
image.jpg

#91 5 years ago

Thoughts/feedback on Hydro Thunder? There's a single sit down unit for sale by me....

#92 5 years ago

One of the all time greats IMHO. Hard to master, fun to find all the hidden paths. Best if you have a linked version so you can race against others. Wish I could find a reasonably priced H2O Overdrive and I would trade up. Its a hard game for newbies. They will oversteer and bounce off the sides constantly. Timing the jumps is difficult and requires a good throttle assembly as jumping and getting the extra boost is key to fast times.

#93 5 years ago

Pleasantly surprised by number of Pinsiders with Pole Positions. We a relatively small (21 x 21) gameroom with a bar and pool table and the standup Pole Position II that sits in a location where a pin wouldn't fit. It's in good shape and gets regular play (unlike the Track & Field standup that is beside it). We keep squeezing pins in and let the pool players work around them!

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

That really pisses me off when I lose. But, overall, it's why the game is so fun......

You can actually turn off this feature in the software. But I leave it on because as you point out it makes the game so much for fun to play. And probably a really big reason why these games earned so well, I know the Dave and Busters here in town had 8 linked Daytonas along the back wall for over 10 years. Heck, they may still be there since I stopped going when they got rid of their last pinball a while back and they still had them the last time I was in there.

#95 5 years ago

1) What do you have?
Mario Kart Arcade GP

2) Do you play it?
It gets played constantly.

No way. It is a ton of fun to play. I do regret passing on an F Zero kit a couple of months ago though.

No. Right now I have one pin MET Pro, one racing game Mario Kart, one light gun game Carnevil and my Japanese Candy Cab for fighting games and shooters. I still have plenty of room for more pins I just need to replenish the pin fund!

#96 5 years ago

I came very close to coming home with a nice original one of these yesterday at the auction, but I was outbid by somebody who was way more determined. But I got to play the heck out of it while I was there, and jumped 23 busses. Just like old times.
stc5.jpg

#97 5 years ago

I used to play the hell out of that game at our local walmart years ago. Ed

#98 5 years ago

I was amazed there was one still working.

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was amazed there was one still working.

Stunt Cycles were workhorses. The route op I worked for had at least twenty of them. Never a PCB or power supply problem. The only problems were with the monitors and when someone would kick in that style of coin door. Coin jams galore if the door was dented. I would carry a large ball-peen hammer and remove the door and beat it straight from the inside. Usually right on the bowling alley or bar floor. Otherwisse if taking it out to the parking lot, I would have to put the cashbox inside of a nearby solid state pin, which there always were some around.

#100 5 years ago

Well, I really wanted it, and stayed a couple hours after the pins were gone, but I figured there might be some competition. It was in nice shape with no dented coin door, but a little rust on the handlebars and it fetched $600 plus fees. But I got to play it!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 149.00
$ 214.99
$ 92.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 114.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 24.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 44.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Haus
$ 117.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
$ 19.99
$ 149.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 93.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside