• 125 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by djb_rh
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Driving game in the basement?”

• Yes, they are a good addition and add variety to the game room. 101 votes
    77%
  • No, it will never get played and the space is better with a pin there. 15 votes
    11%
  • What's a driving game? 1 vote
    1%
  • Bacon! 14 votes
    11%

(131 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5179_(resized).JPG
IMG_5980_(resized).JPG
a1b480d5aac75df1-133.jpg
20130118_100502.jpg
image-625.jpg
image-674.jpg
arcade2.jpeg
DSC00848.JPG
DSC01018.JPG
DSC01027.JPG
DSC01021.JPG
20141015_214350-1.jpg
image-196.jpg
DSC01681.JPG
gr 1.jpg
image-84.jpg
There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 10 years ago

Looking to get a driving game in the basement. Have a lead on a Need for Speed. Only one though. I don't have room for 2, so that is not an option

For those that have a driving game:

1) What do you have?
2) Do you play it?
3) do you regret getting it?
4) Would you rather have a pin in that spot?

#2 10 years ago

I want sega VR racing

#3 10 years ago

If you are going to go to the trouble to get one, make sure it is one you like. The only one I would consider having is the new GRID arcade cockpit, but being new, I am sure it is very expensive.

#4 10 years ago

I have a Sega Outrun upright that gets played every week. No regrets at all, its nice to have variety in the game room.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I want sega VR racing

There's one on Li cl for free

#6 10 years ago

I have an original stand up Pole Position with low milage.

#7 10 years ago

I have Off Road Thunder,gets lots of play. Make sure you like it before you get it, They are space hogs.

#8 10 years ago

Off Road Challenge here.

#9 10 years ago

I have a pair of HydroThunders. Its one of my favorite drivers but you definitely need two for the competition. Takes up lots of space but great fun with someone who is competive. It takes a bit of practice so newbies have trouble until they get the hang of it.

#10 10 years ago

I have had a San Francisco Rush and a Califorinia Speed and have been looking for a Cruisin World. I like them and the kids like them and they got played alot. Don't mind the driver taking pin space. The down fall has always been they are hard to get rid of and you never get your money back out of them. It helps to have a walk out basement.

#11 10 years ago

I have the following:

Daytona USA twin.
Pole Position.
Sega Turbo.
Super Offroad.

#12 10 years ago

Chris, I'd love to have a Pole Position someday

#13 10 years ago

I really want an Initial D and a Crazy Taxi.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from flipnout1:

I have a pair of HydroThunders. Its one of my favorite drivers but you definitely need two for the competition. Takes up lots of space but great fun with someone who is competive. It takes a bit of practice so newbies have trouble until they get the hang of it.

Oh ya I forgot about Hydro Thunder! I love that one and would love to have a dual setup, but I will never have the space for something like that.

#15 10 years ago

i have 2 hydro thunders linked and 2 off road thunders linked in basement.

#16 10 years ago

Sega Super GT twin

#17 10 years ago

Single Crusin' USA here

#18 10 years ago

I have a pair of linked SF Rush 2049 SEs....they get lots of play and I like that they have a clutch for manual racing. Big hit during parties as well

#19 10 years ago

I have 2 need for speed carbons with 32" LCD monitors. I can swap the hard drives and make then NASCAR team racing image-873.jpgimage-873.jpgimage-862.jpgimage-862.jpgimage-155.jpgimage-155.jpgimage-91.jpgimage-91.jpg

#20 10 years ago

Pole Position cockpit running PPII right now. Bought it years ago from a guy who used it as a MAME racer and brought it back to all original. Have working PP boards for it too.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Looking to get a driving game in the basement. Have a lead on a Need for Speed. Only one though. I don't have room for 2, so that is not an option
1) What do you have?
2) Do you play it?

1) Indy 500 gutted and converted into a PS3 racer
2) Quite a bit
3) Not at all
4) Nope

I used to have a Daytona twin that people flocked to, but didn't have people over that often. Most of the arcade racers are boring as singles. I then picked up a Cheap Indy 500, gutted it, Put in a 32" LCD, gutted and fitted a Logitech force feedback system into the original control panel, and dropped a PS3 in there that I can play multiple games with and play online. As a single racer, I can't think of anything better.

Before-52909-i.jpg52909-i.jpg

After-55765-i.jpg55765-i.jpg

#22 10 years ago

I have 3 linked Rush The Rocks, great when a few buddy's are over, or kids love them also

#23 10 years ago

No room in the current gamesroom; but next house I want to have a pair of Hydro Thunders linked.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I want sega VR racing

The Bad ass Race Car Shaped on? With the airbags in the seats? That thing cost like 18k new back in the 90's!!!!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Aquapin:

No room in the current gamesroom; but next house I want to have a pair of Hydro Thunders linked.

Dude, Check out the newer verson. h2overdrive its BAD A$$

#26 10 years ago

Cruisn USA sit down here. Rounds out the collection because the really small kids that have a hard time with the pinballs can get into it.

#27 10 years ago

I had a NFS Underground - It was an awesome hit for parties, and was a ton of fun even single player. It had a card reader so you could save games and it probably took me about 3-4 months to beat the game.
After that, I wanted more variety, so I converted an InitialD cab into a modded PS3 cab.

It's awesome for single player, but since it's modded, it needs to have someone start the game at a party - you don't want guests needing how to figure out how to boot a game. It currently has 44 games on the HD ~ I would like to trade it for another pin since it's not being used much lately.

#28 10 years ago

I have 2 linked cruisin' usa games. We have a bunch of high school kids over every couple of weeks or so and those are by far the most played games in the basement. They get played pretty regularly when we have friends over too. I'm not looking forward to getting them out of my basement though - they weigh a ton.

Dave

#29 10 years ago

I wouldn't mind getting 2 drivers that can be linked together in a gameroom someday. Wish they made sit down drivers but a game that played like Destruction derby for the playstation. Anyone remember that? Holy shit, was that game fun especially when you linked 2 playstations together.

#30 10 years ago

I have 4 39" Offroad Thunders, 2 39" Hydro Thunders and 2 27" Arctic Thunders. They all get a ton of play and they'll be staying.

#31 10 years ago

Virtua Racing was one of the last games i played the hell out of in the arcades. I like Hydro thunder and I almost bought a full size Star Wars pod racer in great shape for 450 last year. Then I realized I could have two pinball machines in that same space and passed. Plus all these games have limited replay value in a home setting when your not pumping quarters and have free play on.

#32 10 years ago

pends how much money you want to spend.
if money is no object, get a raw thrills game like:
dirty drivin
batman
tokya drift.
or
one of the newer namco drivers.
I own many drivers from classic to new so tell me your price range and ill tell u whats good.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

1) What do you have?
2) Do you play it?

1) Linked Cruis'n USA's
2) Rarely, but it's the most popular draw in the gameroom (for anyone who's not me) by a wide margin
3) No
4) Yes

#34 10 years ago

Sega/EA Sports NASCAR sit down, the one with half a roll cage. It's big and heavy and fun, at parties people are always on it but it's pretty primitive compared to the newer ones. I'd like to sell it and get a newer one because I want variety in my game room. So now I have that a Tempest a MACH 3 a Big Buck Hunter with all 4 games plus critters and my pins. So now I have something for everyone.

#35 10 years ago

I had a Nicktoons Racing for my 5 year old but wasn't interested. Traded for a super nice barb wire pin. Sold that to fund a NIB pin.

#36 10 years ago

1) What do you have? SF Rush
2) Do you play it? Yes
3) do you regret getting it? No
4) Would you rather have a pin in that spot? No

#37 10 years ago

1) What do you have? Scud Race Twin
2) Do you play it? Yes (more fun with someone else)
3) do you regret getting it? No
4) Would you rather have a pin in that spot? No

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I wouldn't mind getting 2 drivers that can be linked together in a gameroom someday. Wish they made sit down drivers but a game that played like Destruction derby for the playstation. Anyone remember that? Holy shit, was that game fun especially when you linked 2 playstations together.

My roommates and I in college went nuts over that game.....I can hear the music between races in my head as I type this

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

The Bad ass Race Car Shaped on? With the airbags in the seats? That thing cost like 18k new back in the 90's!!!!

That's the one JJ. And it blew air at you when you went into corners and whatnot. That thing was bonkers and 13 year old me loved the hell out of it.

#40 10 years ago

i have a cruising world which is fun. kids like it.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

i have a cruising world which is fun. kids like it.

Let me know if you ever want to part with it I'm real close.

#42 10 years ago

2008 Gameroom Daytona 004.jpg2008 Gameroom Daytona 004.jpg
I have 4 linked Daytonas in my basement. They take up a ton of room and the CRT monitors are a pain to keep running but I would never get rid of them. Most popular game(s) by far, a fun racing game that doesn't require a huge learning curve to figure out how to work them for novices. There is a reason they kept making these things for like 10 years and they earned so well.

#43 10 years ago

I've got two linked California Speed's.

(Designed by Steve Ritchie....so I guess there is a pinball link there. Had him sign my marquees at Expo, and Julie had a fun time talking to him about the game).

#44 10 years ago

1) What do you have?
2 Rush 2049 sitdowns, linked

2) Do you play it?
Of course! They're a huge hit with guests as well.

No way. I wanted this game ever since I first played it back in 2000.

No way! There's enough room for both game styles to live comfortably in my basement.

On a side note, a month ago my wife convinced me that there's room for 2 Cruis'n World/Exotica sitdowns in our basement... so I may have another set of racers by summer

#45 10 years ago

I don't have any now, but you could always go old school with Speed Racer:

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9712

Or give a passenger something to shoot at with Lucky & Wild:

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8462

And while the Speed Racer is pretty wide, both just have large single seats! Good luck finding something that will work for you.

Brad

#47 10 years ago

SilverUnicorn,

What you are seeing here are a bunch of guys with racers that have PAIRS. This is very important if you are going to get an arcade racer. If you arent getting a pair of racers, there are only a small handful of racers out there that are fun as a single. I have had a few different racers and never found myself playing them very long as a single. As a dual, the pins didnt get touched by my pinhead friends when they would come over.

Any racing game as a pair is super fun, as you are interacting with the person next to you moreso than the machine itself.

#48 10 years ago

My son is not into pinballs too much yet. He is only 13, but he loves his video games. He would really like to get a sit down racing simulator. Something like a Crusin USA etc... He played one at a pinball party this Spring and loved it. I figure that we can get one for the game room. I'm hoping that might spark his interest in pinballs later in life. His friends would play it a lot as well. It's hard to lure these kids away from vids and steer them into pins these days when they can use their school issued laptop computers and link up with their buddies over the internet. Then they play against kids from rival school districts just down the road. How does the pinball community compete with that?? Other than just waiting for the kids to grow a couple years older. Any thoughts???? Anyone???

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

SilverUnicorn,
What you are seeing here are a bunch of guys with racers that have PAIRS. This is very important if you are going to get an arcade racer. If you arent getting a pair of racers, there are only a small handful of racers out there that are fun as a single. I have had a few different racers and never found myself playing them very long as a single. As a dual, the pins didnt get touched by my pinhead friends when they would come over.
Any racing game as a pair is super fun, as you are interacting with the person next to you moreso than the machine itself.

Truth. Even my pin friends were lined up to play the Daytona twin... It's a great addition to any gameroom (And still the best racer of all time, IMO).

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

SilverUnicorn,
What you are seeing here are a bunch of guys with racers that have PAIRS. This is very important if you are going to get an arcade racer.

I 100% concur with this. And I will also add, when I went from 1 pair to 2 pairs the fun factor of my racers increased exponentially. It is much more fun to race against 3 other people than just 1 other person. Not saying I'm not burning up a lot of my real estate with them, but they are the centerpiece of my gameroom and the one thing that really makes my basement fun for a party.

There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-has-a-racing-game-in-the-arcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.