1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by oldtowner
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0153 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0002 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

This subject isn't limited to em machines, but I only have em's and I'm mainly interested to know what the em community here does. My question is: who keeps a log book for each machine? Recording: repairs, quirks, restorations, suggested fixes for things that tend to go wrong with that machine. If you do, do you keep it with (i.e. inside) the machine, so that if the game is passed on at any point when you're not around (well, it could happen) this very useful info gets passed on to the next owner? I keep imagining how great (sorry, awesome) it would be if my own pins had come with such log books. Anyhow, I've started one for each of my three machines, to be kept in the coin trays. Maybe I'll add a packet of toffees, with a strict rule that I can only have one if I've kept the log up to date.

#2 1 year ago

I have few index cards in all 40+ machines in my collection. On the cards are the date of Inspection/PM completed and what was done.

I document when and what switches were cleaned (flipper, kickers, pops, tilt relay, game over relay ,score relays etc) new ball installed, cleaned or replaced rubbers or new playfield glass, waxing, game play meter count and other listings. I do it for myself, as a way to remember what service I did to each game. It can get confusing with over 40+ games.

I do have a high score book which dates back to the late 1990's to present.

#3 1 year ago

One book for all the machines, but any particular page for only one machine. I hoped to just keep 1 or 2 pages per machine, but yeah, that was pretty optimistic! Especially when you start doing stuff like mapping out what LEDs to order.

#4 1 year ago

I start a new book for each game when I start the restoration. I record the dates I started, finished, took to shows, and high scores inside the front cover. After that I use it as a list of "needs" on that particular machine, as small things/problems pop up like flickering bulbs and other adjustments I might want to make. Then, when I do actually get around to addressing these needs, I record the fixes I did and the date. This way I can look back and see if it seems like I've fixed the same problem more than once.

I don't leave it in the game when I sell it though...usually the new owner doesn't want it, but I usually do offer it. I use these small memo books - I bought about 800 in a mega-pack somewhere along the way...

#5 1 year ago

I do but mine are electronic. I generally have a folder for each game where I store info, photos, etc. including a repair log and list of parts replaced with dates.

#6 1 year ago

The op from whom I bought some games kept a repair logs, a sheet inside the cabinet with repairs done on location.
    Interesting to have a history.
    I never started it myself but should have..
    Many years ago i put special repairs on my pinball blog, was good to have a trace when a year later or so a problem returned.

#7 1 year ago

I maintain a log of works for each machine on the Pinside maintenance log within collections-very convenient & useful.

#8 1 year ago

I have only 4 machines and a binder contains everything that happens. Part orders, mods, manuals etc.

#9 1 year ago

I keep an excel spreadsheet with tracks everything; how much I paid, how much I sold it for, how many plays the machine got every month, repairs and parts costs, etc.

#10 1 year ago

Lots of different methods - all fine for keeping track, and I definitely need to do that. So it's 'whatever works for you' I guess. I don't have a computer in my workshop, so hand-written is best for me. And one note book for each machine is a 'must', or I'd be running around too much - my machines are on different floors of the building. Hi Stoomer - interesting what you say about 'usually the owner doesn't want it'. How easily history is lost!

#11 1 year ago

Mine are public...

http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/index.html

Pick any game and select "Repair and Maintenance Log"

#12 1 year ago

Hi oldtowner +
    not really a log book --- in every pin I have - in the cash-box or on the bottom board where a cash-box should be: The paper schematics and the paper manual and the "receipt / quittance with date and price paid for the pin" and a sheet of paper for the high scores --- score made on first ball - and score made with 5 balls (with or without one or two or ... made Extra-Balls) and who made the high score. Greetings Rolf

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from JeffZee:

Mine are public...
    http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/index.html
    Pick any game and select "Repair and Maintenance Log"

Wow, great web site. I thought my simple spread sheet was a giant step forward for me. Can see from all the responses, I need to up my game. ( pun intended )

#14 1 year ago

I've got everything me or anyone else would ever want to know about each machine here and the other 500+ that have went through my hands. Totaling all 616 games, each with there own number and index card to match along with a file folder for every game in two different file cabinets.......
    It's kinda over board I think at times but it's way cool to look back at the stuff from 20+ years ago.

John

IMG_0002 (resized).JPG

IMG_0153 (resized).JPG

#15 1 year ago

Hi John, Yikes - that's amazing and a great resource. Part of my interest is ensuring that details of changes, repairs etc are passed along with the machine,
    and my little books inside the machine are perhaps the best method for that - though not everyone (seller or buyer) will be bothered. (Rolf: yes, that other stuff too.) How about another idea as well - if you've posted any YouTube videos featuring one of your machines, why not write the YouTube title or URL inside the machine somewhere? If YouTube doesn't go pop, then maybe fifty years from now someone can see what your/their machine looked like, "back now" (if you get my meaning).

#16 1 year ago

BInders with receipts for each. Shows the date, part, cost, and where the part(s) went.

#17 1 year ago

I don't keep a log book per say.

However, I keep folders for each game.

Inside those folders I usually have all the photos I took of the game before starting any repair/restoration work, photos for disassembly & repair, a folder with documentation (manuals, paperwork, any other items of interest), a folder with the original ad/listing, a folder with other reference photos for the game, plus any other research items, or sub-folders for specific assemblies.

It's not always terribly organized or comprehensive for every game, but that's generally the pattern I follow.

If I need to refer back to a parts order for something specific, I generally just search my email to find it. I have ended up with a few duplicate games, and reference photos from the earlier game I had have helped with repairs on the later game.

#18 1 year ago

I have an Excel spreadsheet with a tab for each game where I note repairs, parts needed for future orders from PBR, maintenance schedule, etc. Then I have a folder on my iMac as well with photos of each game/restoration.

#19 1 year ago

I used to toss a little notebook in each game and document things. Once I got past about 12 games I gave up. I fix what's needed when I get them and play. Who cares if I replaced a switch in 2008.

#20 1 year ago

I care, deeply.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 14.95
    $ 19.99
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 1,199.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 156.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8,500.00
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 78.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 40.00
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside