(Topic ID: 240643)

Who else hates the sqwaaaark noise ?

By Wotto

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Hey all.

The Stern free game/match noise.
    I always turn mine off.

Surely with current day advancements there could easily be selections added to that section of the menu to select a sound grab from the game instead of the sqwaaark or nothing. Maybe have a sub menu available and then it jumps to say 6 sounds from the game you can choose from.

Any reason this would be difficult for programmers to do ? Zero cost.

#2 5 years ago

If I don't set it to low or off on customers games I get a call within 48 hours letting me know that they think something is broken on the game.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wotto:

Hey all.
    The Stern free game/match noise.
    I always turn mine off.
    Surely with current day advancements there could easily be selections added to that section of the menu to select a sound grab from the game instead of the sqwaaark or nothing. Maybe have a sub menu available and then it jumps to say 6 sounds from the game you can choose from.
    Any reason this would be difficult for programmers to do ? Zero cost.

Sounds like squealing rubber to me.
    Hate it

#4 5 years ago

I hate all those fake knocker noises. A shout out to applejuice who has added a real knocker to his new RFM code! Nicely done!

#5 5 years ago

I cringe when I hear the stern fake knocker sound. I was told we have the ability to turn it off in the menu. I havent checked yet.

#6 5 years ago

Where in the menu can you turn it off? I’d love to turn it off or at least way down.

#7 5 years ago

It's a setting called knocked volume from memory

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

Where in the menu can you turn it off?

Standard adjustments #44 KNOCKER VOLUME according to the #game_of_thrones manual.

#9 5 years ago

Pinball Life makes a "real knocker" kit for Spike + Spike 2 games. Put one in my IMDN and I love it! A steal at 50 bucks.

https://www.pinballlife.com/real-knocker-kit-for-stern-spikespike-2.html

Pro-tip: If you install it against the back of the cabinet it is louder and sounds more authentic than installing it against the crossbar per the instructions.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from mikeking:

Pinball Life makes a "real knocker" kit for Spike + Spike 2 games. Put one in my IMDN and I love it! A steal at 50 bucks.
    https://www.pinballlife.com/real-knocker-kit-for-stern-spikespike-2.html
    Pro-tip: If you install it against the back of the cabinet it is louder and sounds more authentic than installing it against the crossbar per the instructions.

All good with that.

Just thought they could easily tap in to game audio grabs these days and would be a bit more up to date / modern to use game callouts of choice.

Couldn't be that hard surely?

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wotto:

All good with that.
    Just thought they could easily tap in to game audio grabs these days and would be a bit more up to date / modern to use game callouts of choice.
    Couldn't be that hard surely?

It's there to distract you. It is obnoxious on purpose. I get not liking it, but that is what it was designed to do.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-else-hates-the-sqwaaaark-noise- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.