2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Methos
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Can you solve a Rubix cube (1-5)? Do you know anyone that can (6-7)? Answer both if you like.”

• Yep, every time. 28 votes
    36%
  • I can solve one side :) 18 votes
    23%
  • Nope :( 10 votes
    13%
  • I did it once! 4 votes
    5%
  • I used to know how... 9 votes
    12%
  • I DO KNOW someone that can. 11 votes
    14%
  • I DON'T KNOW anyone that can. 8 votes
    10%

(Multiple choice - 78 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170624_091657 (resized).jpg
iu (resized).jpeg
IMG_0459 (resized).JPG
IMG_0715 (resized).JPG
20170606_075712 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Rubiksmagic (resized).jpg
20170605_233033 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Rubix cube fans, let's hear your story. Can you solve a cube puzzle? How good are you? How'd you learn? Or have you tried and failed?

I decided to learn after I scrambled and couldn't solve a picture cube at a relatives house a few years ago. I watched and copied the moves on a YouTube video and finally solved it after 3-4 hours of total frustration.

I can now solve it in about 2 minutes most of the time. I don't (didn't) know a single person that could solve it. My friends and family and co-workers are all suitably impressed and I try to get as many people as I can interested in cube puzzles, like I do pinball. Most everyone in my office plays with the one I keep on my desk and they all want to watch me solve it. I rotate it out frequently with different ones to keep the interest level high.

Then a year ago I visited a cousin of mine and surprise, surprise he could solve it too. But he could do it in half my time, 45-60 seconds was his average! I asked his secret and he said "algs" which is geek speak for algorithms. I've still not met anyone else that can.

Do you want to learn to solve one yourself? Here's the secret, there are over 100+ algorithms which can be memorized and utilized to solve a Rubix cube. An alg is just a series of turns you perform in order. The best cubers out there might memorize something like 57 of the most popular moves in order to get super fast! I though know only about 7 algorithms, so a ton of memorization isn't needed to be successful, just practice. After a while it will become muscle memory, like tying your shoes.

There's so much more to the subject, hope someone chimes in!

And I'm going to add a poll, two questions in one, it should work out...

20170605_233033 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Get a 4x4 and 5x5 cube. They have unique challenges but you still get to leverage moves you leaned on the 3x3

#3 2 years ago

I can't but my son can do it in 25 seconds. They just always made sense to him. He was able to solve them in under 1min by about it 10 years old. I asked how he did it once. He said it's an algorithm you work through in your head. Whatever that means.

#4 2 years ago

I've always known it as a Rubik's cube?

I've got my time down to about 2 minutes, have memorised about 20 of the algorithms so far. My aim is to get under 1 minute using the algorithms, after that it will be down to improving finger speed.

This site is very helpful for learning:

https://ruwix.com

My wife thinks I'm weird but I don't care, find it very therapeutic and stops me from getting bored, often practise while watching telly!

#5 2 years ago

I went to junior high with a kid named Lance Ahrens, he was one of the top Rubik's Cube solvers in the USA at the time. He was even part of a competition on the TV show "That's Incredible", that's him at 5:11

#6 2 years ago

I could do it in a few minutes when I was a kid. Now? No chance solving without relearning the steps.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from PanaPinResto:

I can't but my son can do it in 25 seconds. They just always made sense to him. He was able to solve them in under 1min by about it 10 years old. I asked how he did it once. He said it's an algorithm you work through in your head. Whatever that means.

The algorithm is like a set procedure. As long as you stick to it, you'll solve it every time.

#8 2 years ago

I've never solved a Rubix Cube before, but did Rubik's Cube competitions when I was young.

#9 2 years ago

I always liked this thing when I was younger. I was able to solve this, but never spent enough time to figure out the cube. Unless I pulled off the stickers and put them on the other side.

Rubiksmagic (resized).jpg

#10 2 years ago

The only time I did was in the 70s, when I too, peeled the stickers off!
Love the Magic Rings!

Heres the hardest 17x17x17.

While Im not into Twisty Puzzles, I am playing with this one now, and getting nowhere.

Wil Strijbos, Pachinko Box!

Hes Dutch and makes amazing puzzles from metal.

I added an xray of the mech...

#11 2 years ago

I could usually get two layers (not in poll)

I could always pop apart and put back together in under a minute. ( Not in poll)

Solve with the book, but never in the times those guys blazed through.

I am pretty sure I have seen folks do it blind fold or behind there backs which to me was a total mind blow.

#12 2 years ago

I've never came close but always wanted to learn, I think it's fantastic that you guys can do it, I've always watched people who can do it with amazement, hope one day I can meet someone who can do it, an they teach me. Very impressive, well done...

#13 2 years ago

I decided one day that I wanted to learn how to solve a Rubik's cube a few years ago, so I watched a few videos on youtube. Now it's become an obsession similar to pinball.

Here are a few from my collection

20170606_075712 (resized).jpg

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

I decided one day that I wanted to learn how to solve a Rubik's cube a few years ago, so I watched a few videos on youtube. Now it's become an obsession similar to pinball.
Here are a few from my collection

Wowzers nice collection, never even seen some of those. My kids like the classic and they are also interested in these ball puzzles.

IMG_0715 (resized).JPG

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Wowzers nice collection, never even seen some of those. My kids like the classic and they are also interested in these ball puzzles.

Those ball puzzles are a blast to play with, and really good for kids' development too. We now have three of them (one being the model you pictured).

Of course, you know someone would take the concept to its logical conclusion, and here it is at Hammacher-Schlemmer for the low, low price of only $50000:

IMG_0459 (resized).JPG

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

Those ball puzzles are a blast to play with, and really good for kids' development too. We now have three of them (one being the model you pictured).
Of course, you know someone would take the concept to its logical conclusion, and here it is at Hammacher-Schlemmer for the low, low price of only $50000:

That must be the SLE model! Crazy

#17 2 years ago

Yep, solved it in the early 80's by using a book after weeks of frustration.

A fun skill that still impresses to this day!

#18 2 years ago

60 seconds won't sniff the real competition, but it's insanely impressive to me. Look at the guy who can solve 14 in a row while blind folded.

#19 2 years ago

If I practice the algorithm a few times I can solve the 3x3 in less than 2 minutes,
The 4x4 has a algorithm pattern towards the end of the solve I was not going to bother memorizing as it was to long. But the 4x4 is the funner puzzle (if you want to do more) because it is more involved as you need to orient the colored sides at the start.

#20 2 years ago

I remember getting one of these for Christmas during the original Rubik's hysteria. It solves the same as a 3x3, but looks more intimidating (at least back then it did). I broke down and bought the first published solution way back when. I still have that book around here someplace.

iu (resized).jpeg

#21 2 years ago

Been doing it for 15 years now and still haven't seen another person do it in person. Tried the 5x5 organically and got it all but one face. I have a few floating around the house and if I'm ever on hold, or waiting for a minute or two I will knock it out. It may only be every few months but haven't forgotten it for over a decade! Sometimes I may need to do a step or two over, but always can get it done.

2 weeks later
#22 2 years ago

I completed a few when i was a kid but havent played any in years now. I would struggle to finish one anywhere near as fast as i use to.

#23 2 years ago

I used to do them so fast it was like a stress ball for me. Was able to do picture 3x3 cubes. 4x4? Did it a couple of times but then got to a point where the Internet told me to just take it apart and reset as there was no easy way to get it back...

#24 2 years ago

I solved mine once, like 20 years ago.

#25 2 years ago

Never solved one but found a couple in a box at a estate sale. Didn't even know they made different sizes.

20170624_091657 (resized).jpg

#26 2 years ago

I used to be able to do it in about 30 seconds. Had a printed out piece of paper (back in the day). Pretty simple once you memorized how to do it.

#27 2 years ago

My 11 year old son figured it out how to do it....and he's autistic.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models
$ 259.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 66.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 10.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 6.95
$ 59.00
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 149.00
$ 8,500.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Meph's Mods
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 16.00
$ 49.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 65.00
Playfield - Plastics
Vandelay Industries
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 49.99
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside