(Topic ID: 297749)

Who else agrees Pinside is the best hobby website, bar none? (Poll)

By DanQverymuch

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by fxdwg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is Pinside the best website any hobby has? ”

• Hell, yeah! Pinside rocks! 56 votes
      89%
    • As if. (Why not? Please elaborate.) 5 votes
      8%
    • It's too obvious to bother with, shut up, thankyouverymuch! 2 votes
      3%

(63 votes)

#1 2 years ago

Dammit, I say no other hobby has a dedicated website as cool as pinball does with Pinside.

Who's with me?

Just the variety of achievements blows my mind. The rest is gravy. No other hobby has anything even close, from what I've seen.

If you disagree in the poll, I want you to show me a better hobby website. I've never seen one. Hard to imagine, even.

#2 2 years ago

For pinball yes. Other hobbies have great forums too. For audio enthusiasts hobbyists: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php

For local fishing I love https://www.ohiogamefishing.com/

#3 2 years ago

sorry, but no
    if you are into Lego, then Eurobricks.com is amazing
    ten times busier than Pinside, and zero tolerance for misbehavior

#4 2 years ago

Based upon the amount of time I spent on this website I think you’re spot on.
    I’m sure Robin must have some data an hours spent weekly each of us spend on here.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

sorry, but no
    if you are into Lego, then Eurobricks.com is amazing
    ten times busier than Pinside, and zero tolerance for misbehavior

Couldn’t be more spot on.
    I am a member at a vintage British/American Motorcycle forum.
    Its great, and there is zero tolerance for BS.
    For sale ads usually have 2 posts, the listing, and “Sold”.
    BS gets deleted.
    Questions mostly through PM.
    Imagine that!!!

#6 2 years ago

Strongly agree Pinside is the best hobby website. At least for hobbies I'm active in.
    Several times I've used Pinside as an example of what an excellent site can be
    to others that are pretty bad and they always stick their collective noses in the air.
    Their loss.

I'm not as active in the pinball hobby as I once was (ran out of room long ago)
    but still enjoy the discussions here. A few can get a tad roudy but enjoy the
    freedom allowed here to tolerate that.

Honestly, I can't think of a single thing I'd change.
    Steve

#7 2 years ago

I'm not on any other ones, so to me this is the greatest one in the universe.

#8 2 years ago

For pinball, absolutely. It’s funny how each hobby tends to have its own personality when it comes to its online presence.

There’s still tons of dick waving and people refusing to admit they are wrong on other sites (oh lord, the audio forums I’m on) but I absolutely think Pinside has the best designed interface and ability to keep one engaged of any of the 10 or so other hobby forums I’m on.

I joined to get technical assistance and I have learned SO much, between fixing B/W games, mods, programming, there is so much to learn and do.

#9 2 years ago

I'm on a couple other hobby sites and PinSide is the best made website out of all of them. The most features, easiest on the eyes, best market place, etc.

However people are the same everywhere. The same types of nice people, and drama queens can be found anywhere! To that end though PinSide also has one of the best ignore features!

#10 2 years ago

Pretty much like I figured! Thanks for the comments, everyone.

I was going to opine that playing with overpriced plastic bricks isn't a hobby, really. But I'm sure they make for lots of possibilities for sharing build plans, colorful blocky page designs, etc. I bet they have lively discussions about sealed kits vs actually using them, who has the most blocks, whether "compatible" blocks are useful and fun or sacrilege... But putting something together and plopping it on a shelf seems anticlimactic to me. The best hobbies involve action!

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I was going to opine that playing with overpriced plastic bricks isn't a hobby, really. But I'm sure they make for lots of possibilities for sharing build plans, colorful blocky page designs, etc. I bet they have lively discussions about sealed kits vs actually using them, who has the most blocks, whether "compatible" blocks are useful and fun or sacrilege... But putting something together and plopping it on a shelf seems anticlimactic to me. The best hobbies involve action!

OK, I'll play
    apart from the people making their own games, most people on Pinside set up their games and just play them, maybe polishing their balls each month

most of the posters on Eurobricks are building custom designs, no instructions to follow

#12 2 years ago

The most interesting posts are often those of people buying total basket case
    pins and restoring them to new.
    Steve

#13 2 years ago

I've only been here for 10 yrs,and didn't know the tech side of pinball at all! Since I've been here I've learned the basics and advanced parts of our addiction!Pinside rocks! Also keeps us informed of all the venues to attend as well!!

#14 2 years ago

Dropzone.com was the best website and forums for an activity for a long time. It provides skydivers from around the world with info on gear, training, locations and events, and there was a super active forum community from 2001 until about 2015. The info side is still good, but Facebook has been bad for the forums and classifieds; they are still there and used but have far less traffic than they used to.

#15 2 years ago

As a Pinside newbie who just got their first pin I'm contently amazed at the features, content and overall positive community on this site. I've been a part of many of forums and subreddits for cars, video games, whatever and nothing comes close to Pinside. Kudos to everyone here.

#16 2 years ago

From a technical standpoint, it's no contest. Every other hobbyist website I've ever seen is just a basic forum give or take a few extra features. Pinside has been built from the ground up around pinball, and I can't think of any other website that can say the same about its hobby.

#17 2 years ago

Pretty goddamn good, 'tis.

#18 2 years ago

Not so fast. The stamp collecting venues are a real hoot.Put that in your book!!!

#19 2 years ago

It's certainly up there. Rate Your Music is the other site so good/useful that it enhances the hobby.

#20 2 years ago

I think this site is awesome. but you do have to read some posts with a grain of salt. LOL

Back when I was into pyrotechnics heavily, there was a forum known as pyrouniverse. And that was an amazing board where very similar to this one, you could learn an amazing amount of things from other pyrotechnic junkies. including how NOT to be taken advantage of by PHANTOM fireworks.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-else-agrees-pinside-is-the-best-hobby-website-bar-none-poll and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.