Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by atariaction
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6672.jpg
IMG_6673.jpg
IMG_6671.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Dear fellow Pinsiders,

I'm in the process of rehabbing the slot reels and assembly on Who Dunnit. When I got it, the owner said the slots needed new reel motors. Well, I order the new reel motors from sparkfun and installed them today. They still do not work. the left reel does nothing, the middle reel vibrates crazily, and the right reel does nothing. All 3 reels have been repaired with the 3D printed collars and new set screws, and the motors have had a flat spot grinded onto them so the grip the motor shaft perfectly and spin nice and free. When power on the machine is turned on, though, the right reel will NOT spin freely, but if I unplug the power connector to the PCB for that reel, it will spin freely.

I've read somewhere on Pinside about the IC chip on each individual slot PCB may need to be replaced

Any help would be great, this thing is driving me bananas.

Was wondering if the power driver board has anything to do with this.

Thanks in advance, Dan

#2 4 years ago

I had similar issues, I replaced all the LM339's on my boards and they all worked again. Once second all reels worked, then they didn't. How and why all LM339's on all reels blew at the same time, I can't answer. Worked ever since then though.

I hardly ever suggest starting with replacing chips, but if you're good at soldering, it's so cheap and easy.

If not, honestly, there are probably better troubleshooting steps to follow first.

Always use sockets when replacing something like this.

Quoted from Seatmandan:

I've read somewhere on Pinside about the IC chip on each individual slot PCB may need to be replaced

#3 4 years ago

Thanks for the quick response! On an additional note, The Optos work for sure because if i spin them by hand during the reel test (albeit hard, since there's some sort of resistance caused by the motors not working properly when power is going to them) the opto will register when the reels pass the notch. Just that the darn things won't spin. I will order the LM339s and sockets for each. I'm assuming you socketed yours since you mentioned it. Also, the red LED on each board is lit solid for whatever that's worth...

I got this machine about 3 weeks ago, and when I got it, the slots were disabled, so diagnosing the reels is turning into a giant pain!

-Dan

#4 4 years ago

That's the thing about the slot reels. There isn't much that can go wrong. It's a really simple mech, the weak point by far are those LM339's, and I know they have somewhat of a tendency to blow because it happened to me.

Still though, I don't understand, why all 3 and why at the same time? I guess I don't always have to get it, as long as I can fix it

I would start there if your comfortable.

Quoted from Seatmandan:

I'm assuming you socketed yours since you mentioned it. Also, the red LED on each board is lit solid for whatever that's worth...

#5 4 years ago

Do you think a power driver board issue would cause this?

#6 4 years ago

It's possible, it's not a bad idea to meter for power and make sure everything checks out.

Quoted from Seatmandan:

Do you think a power driver board issue would cause this?

#7 4 years ago

dont throw out your old steppers. you can service them pretty easily by taking them apart and removing metal shavings.

-c

#8 4 years ago

When I got the machine, the flasher lamps were always lit, but it would still flash when called for. It turned out the manual calls for the single red lead from the flashers to connect to J105, which it was on this machine. Thanks to Pinside (and Zaza) It turns out the manual was wrong on this , and it should've been connected to J106. I switched it and boom- fixed the flashers instantly. when this connector was still on J105, the game had intermittent reset issues. I added a Kahr daughterboard, and that fixed it. since I've moved the connector to J106, I have not tried the game without the Kahr board. I do have a rottendog PDB as a back-up for my other 2 pins, but until I fix the reels, I don't want to put in Who Dunnit for fear of ruining it.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

dont throw out your old steppers. you can service them pretty easily by taking them apart and removing metal shavings.
-c

I still have them. I did disassemble them and clean them. It was apparent that this was done once before to them because one of them was missing the spring washer and half the plastic octagon cover over the windings. decided to go with the 15.00 ones from sparkfun

#10 4 years ago

Also wondering- could the root cause possibly be the CPU board?

#11 4 years ago

It could be anything really. But, I would not suspect that until you replace those LM339's. It sounds like that's probably it. I'd cross the other bridges when you come to them.

Quoted from Seatmandan:

Also wondering- could the root cause possibly be the CPU board?

#12 4 years ago

It was totally the LM339s. Thanks a million. Now that all 3 reels spin & reels 1 & 2 are working perfectly, Reel 3's indexing opto is flaky, and I traced it to the 9-pin molex that connects all the reel optos to the main harness. Need to order one of those and it will be credit dot-free!

IMG_6671.jpg

IMG_6673.jpg

IMG_6672.jpg

#13 4 years ago

Glad you got it sorted out. I'm not sure why this problem even exists, but at least it's easy to repair.

Quoted from Seatmandan:

It was totally the LM339s.

10 months later
#14 3 years ago

On my whodunnit I think my slot reels are causing my f116 fuse to blow occasionally (I get error: check fuses f115 and f116 j112 and opto 12v supply). I disabled the slots in the settings and played a bunch of games and the fuse has not blown since. I just tested each reel one by one in the test settings and the fuse did not blow. What should I do next?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 26.50
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside