• Latest reply 1 year ago by Power87
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Who Dunnit Reel (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hello. My far right slot wheel seems loose on the motor shaft as it spins past the time it should have stopped and also spins in place when it starts up. I think it needs some tightening. Does anyone have any suggestions to keep the slot reel tight on the motor shaft so it starts and stops correctly when the motor starts and stops? Also, what kind of tool is need to loosen and tighten the screw that secures the reel to the shaft? I can't find what to use to loosen and tighten it. Thanks for the help!!

#2 7 years ago

You can improve the reel's grip on the shaft by grinding a flat part into the shaft. However, the set screw is in a plastic piece that can very easily break, so over-tightening can do serious damage.

If the reel is spinning in place when it starts up, I don't think being loose on the shaft is your problem.

There's lots of info around about those damn slot reels. Here's something I referenced in the past: https://keepingmycool.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-to-clean-who-dunnit-slot-reel-motor.html

#3 7 years ago

Thanks for the info. Either way, I need to get that screw out. It is hollow and looks threaded on the inside. What tool do I use to loosen that screw that tightens the reel on the motor shaft? Thanks!!!!

#4 7 years ago

According to the manual, the set screw is part 4006-01076-04 (Set Screw 6-32 x 1/4"), so...

An allen wrench. A small one. This page says it's 1/16". It's definitely in inches (not metric).

Be very careful not to over-tighten the screw!

6 years later
#5 1 year ago

As some further 'ideas' on this issue, here is how I fixed the admittedly poor design of the Who Dunnit reel set screw. The original design is poor because the shaft does not have a flat, as noted, but also because the set screw is far stronger than the plastic reel and can easily crack the plastic. With the little hub I made out of aluminum, the set screw can be tightened fully without issue. The hub also helps stiffen the reel...on this machine the reels had a good bit of axial runout (side-to-side wobble) and even though the hub is not very large in diameter, it made a good difference in reducing the wobble.

The hub is 1.2" diameter with (4) 6-32 screws on a 1" BC. The center is 5MM, and the overall height is 1/2". The small diameter of the hub is .687" and the backing plate is also 1.2" diameter and 1/8" thick with a .377" center hole.

The photo shows the original set screw layout and the hub installed, Another uninstalled hub/backing plate is shown on the table.

Who Dunnit Reel (resized).jpgWho Dunnit Reel (resized).jpg
1 week later
#6 1 year ago

Those look awsome wish i could get a set
Keep up the good work and keep spinning those wheels.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-dunnit-slot-reel-needs-tightening and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.