New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 169921)

Who Dunnit? slot reel needs tightening

By Willy39

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mot
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hello. My far right slot wheel seems loose on the motor shaft as it spins past the time it should have stopped and also spins in place when it starts up. I think it needs some tightening. Does anyone have any suggestions to keep the slot reel tight on the motor shaft so it starts and stops correctly when the motor starts and stops? Also, what kind of tool is need to loosen and tighten the screw that secures the reel to the shaft? I can't find what to use to loosen and tighten it. Thanks for the help!!

#2 4 years ago

You can improve the reel's grip on the shaft by grinding a flat part into the shaft. However, the set screw is in a plastic piece that can very easily break, so over-tightening can do serious damage.

If the reel is spinning in place when it starts up, I don't think being loose on the shaft is your problem.

There's lots of info around about those damn slot reels. Here's something I referenced in the past: https://keepingmycool.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-to-clean-who-dunnit-slot-reel-motor.html

#3 4 years ago

Thanks for the info. Either way, I need to get that screw out. It is hollow and looks threaded on the inside. What tool do I use to loosen that screw that tightens the reel on the motor shaft? Thanks!!!!

#4 4 years ago

According to the manual, the set screw is part 4006-01076-04 (Set Screw 6-32 x 1/4"), so...

An allen wrench. A small one. This page says it's 1/16". It's definitely in inches (not metric).

Be very careful not to over-tighten the screw!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 125.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 26.50
Boards
PinSound
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside