New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 37588)

Who Dunnit or Dirty Harry

By amalongi

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by PinFan4Life
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Thinking of picking up one of these two titles. Played each a time or two only and was intrigued but don't have any lengthy experience. Thoughts?

#2 7 years ago

I like both, but I like Dirty Harry more. With Dirty Harry you get a third flipper and the .44 magnum gun toy. The modes of Dirty Harry will probably keep you challenged longer than solving the crimes of Who Dunnit, which I believe can get repetitive after a while.

I'd like to read what others think.

#3 7 years ago

Dirty Harry is a really fun machine,plays fast, good modes and is a challenge to beat. The gun can be problematic as some times the ball rolls out of it, but there are fixes out there. WHO Dunnit never reallly did anything for me, it would be ok in the short term but would think DH is the one to have long term.

#4 7 years ago

DH all the way!

#5 7 years ago

Who Dunnit is decent. Dirty Harry is fun!

#6 7 years ago

DH is pretty damn fun and challenging.

#7 7 years ago

DH without a doubt.
WD is ok rooftop and mode is fun but the roulette is very unbalancing.

DH is real deep, fun eastwood quotes, different ways to get a good score and a damn hard wizard mode.

#8 7 years ago
#9 7 years ago

DH by a long shot, unless the theme & unique plot/pinball combination of W?D will increase its enjoyment and longevity in your collection. The shots and ramps are more satisfying and varied in DH (third flipper and gun toy already mentioned).

You could argue that W?D has more to it from a choosing different strategic paths to scoring and progressing through the story line, whether to go for elevator floors (and which sequence) vs. interrogating suspects. Scoring imbalances aside, if you like gambling, W?D has a lot of opportunities for risking your points and for praying that the slots resurrect a lost ball, etc.

If you have a lot of novices who will be playing the machines, then W?D also comes with the feature of guaranteed play time (instead of 3 balls) for Novice setting, but I personally find this setting and framework annoying. I think there's something to be said -- even for beginners -- for appreciating only having 3 balls (for modern games) with which to play. And novices can simply press the Start button more often (for free, assuming it's for your home collection).

#10 7 years ago

DH, this pin will jump in price soon so hurry. It is everything everyone else has said and more. This is a top 30 game in my opinion. I have only had mine for 2 months and it isn't going anywhere.

#11 7 years ago

I have both and I would DH for sure, especially if you only have 1 other game. W?D works way better in a big line-up. DH is a better "daily player."
W?D is an awesome game....but certainly better in a bigger collection

#12 7 years ago
#13 7 years ago

DH all the way love the game

WHO DUNNIT is a terrible game absolutely S@*T

#14 7 years ago

I like both, but DH is the better of the 2 IMO

#15 7 years ago

Both are great games, and W?D has the better theme IMHO, but the gameplay gets repetitive. DH is the way to go.

#16 7 years ago

different strokes for different folks,
I really enjoy my who dunnit, it's a nice change up from my other games.
never played DH but it looks good too

#17 7 years ago

Who Dunnit is VERY unique. Play it before you buy it to decide if you like it. I personally think it is much better than DH, but would probably take DH over W?D if I only had 2 games total. W?D wins out in any larger collection just out of uniqueness.

#19 7 years ago

dirty harrold. I owe you one meathead!

#20 7 years ago

Have never played DH. Own W?D. Love the sounds and the music on W?D. Also, betting your points on the roulette wheel is a totally unique feature which some love, others hate. I LOVE that feature . . . and I'm not a gambler 'in real life'. In my nine pin lineup, W?D gets just as much play by me as the others do. Is it as good as LOTR? Mmm, no, probably not. But nonetheless, it's a great game and I'm glad that I have one. Hope this helps.

#21 7 years ago

Owned both. Still own DH and its never leaving. Having said that I really miss W?D sometimes and would probably buy it again.

#22 7 years ago

Although I like DH a lot, with both uniqueness and rarity in mind I also vote for W?D. Yet I do agree with others that as incredible as W?D is, I also feel it might do even better in a larger collection (say more than 5 pins).

#23 7 years ago

I've had both and like W?D much better. It is a very fun and unique game; DH grew old for me quickly.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 119.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside