(Topic ID: 335803)

Who Dunnit. Double reel failure at same time?

By CaptainTrips

12 months ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 months ago by frunch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 months ago

HIya.. have a new project whodunnit.
When i picked it up 3 hours away the reels all worked. When i got it home.. the reels worked.
I opened up the cabinet for half an hour and fiddled with a bunch of little issues, nothing electrical,... now only the left reel works(the one with a replacement motor) the other 2 have failed simultaniously.
To me this would seem to not be a freakishly unlikely dual motor/driver board failure. its also not affecting all 3 so its not like a fuse or something. They dont work in Test.
Before i start reflowing dozens of components does anyone have any insight on where i could start?

#2 12 months ago

Welcome to the world of owning a W?D and their reels.

Do the motors spin at all? If so, troubleshoot the connection between motor shaft and the plastic wheels them selves, metal screw tension vs plastic wheels was never a good design.

If the motors do not spin, they may be dirty. The motors do come apart and there is usually metal shaving that are inside, I would recommend trying to clean those as well. The shavings will be magnetized and want to stick to the inside of the motor. I'm sure others will chime in as well

#3 12 months ago

I recall a thread a while back where the was a problem with a connector for the slot reels towards the back of the playfield (on the bottom side)... See If you can track down that connector and make sure it didn't get jostled loose somehow...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 26.50
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-dunnit-double-reel-failure-at-same-time and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.