(Topic ID: 114575)

WHO dunnit Club - And then I was on the case...

By scylla

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,122 posts
  • 168 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by daakrolb
  • Topic is favorited by 84 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“WHO dunnit?”

• Tony 21 votes
    16%
  • Victoria 23 votes
    17%
  • Butler 31 votes
    23%
  • Bruno 15 votes
    11%
  • Trixie 45 votes
    33%

(135 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

27001d1c-e381-495f-86e7-f46eabaa2422 (resized).jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-29 um 12.48.35 (resized).png
lift ramps (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7876877_7 (resized).jpg
IMG_8253 (resized).JPG
IMG_8100 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240321_180545638 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180539723 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_171323528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180559595 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180552410 (resized).jpg
IMG_4133 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231223_225004619 (resized).jpg
IMG_4942 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4941 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4908 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ranhorton.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#327 3 years ago

About to join the club.
Picking up tomorrow morning.
Have wanted this game for over 10 years. Not easy to come by!

From the pics the seller shared of the game it looks to be in great condition. Mentioned that the right slot spins slower than the others. I believe Planetary has new wheels/motors for this.

Anything in particular to look for in person (aside from accessive elevator ramp fractures an whatnot)?

#329 3 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

Mainly checking inserts, the lift (up, down) clue and TAXI ones usually suffer. The sewer weldment is usualy broken as well!

Thanks for the tips! I’ll look at all these sections when I pick it up in 2 hours!

3 weeks later
#343 3 years ago

Hi everyone

Just finished shopping a Who Dunnit i recently picked up and while I've diagnosed and fixed a ton of issues I am still having a problem with the left slot motor.

Long story short, I purchased a new motor from Marco and can't get the thing to work! All the PCB boards work correctly (tested each with the other two reel motors and the baords are all fine).
Starting to think the "plug and play" motor from Marco may be misswired for the PCB connections.

Has anyone else purchased one of these marco motors and if yours works can you look at the wiring to see if it's the same as mine in the pics below?
Mine is wired top to bottom: Red/Green/Yellow/Blue.
The other two motors (originals i believe) in my game are wired: Red/Yellow/Brown/Orange

Thanks fellow WD detectives!
-Ran

IMG_1157 (resized).JPGIMG_1157 (resized).JPGIMG_5553 (resized).JPGIMG_5553 (resized).JPGIMG_3119 (resized).JPGIMG_3119 (resized).JPG
#345 3 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

The wire colour won't matter that much, the wires are going to the same pins as the originals BUT depends on where they go after that, and if they go to the correct pins/locations on the other side. I don't have this machine any more so i can't check for you sorry and i can't recall if those wires go direct to the stepper motor or are routed through another connector first. I would cross match the wiring from the originals to the connector/motor and compare with the new one.

I compared the best I could and the wiring seems correct. These wires go directly from the stepper to the PCB board. I actually took apart the old stepper motor and tried cleaning it up. It manually functions a bit better now. May try putting the old motor in again and testing it to see what happens. Won’t take the whole reel assembly apart... will just plug the old stepper into the PCB and cross my fingers.

#347 3 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

You wouldn't think that a new part from Marco's would be wired incorrectly but anything is possible i guess. The other thing i was thinking is that maybe there's something gone on the stepper board itself (maybe one of the transistors) I'm pretty sure all 3 are the same board so you could swap one of the known working boards with the one you are having issues with the new motor (might even be enough cabling that you can just swap connectors) and see if the motor issue goes with it?? Could cross check the other way too by attaching the new motor to one of the other stepper boards.

Apologies.
I should have mentioned that I tried swapping the new stepper motor with one of the other PCB boards that is currently running a working slot reel.
The new motor still didn't spin which is what lead me to think it is the new stepper motor wiring.
I actually bought 2 new motors to have a backup.
Will try both of them as well as the old motor again on one of the working boards.

I'll also test the transistors in the non-working stepper motor PCB board just in case.
Such a crazy mech that shouldn't be this complicated. Hahaha.
Thanks again for your thoughts/feedback, Mancave!
Fingers crossed.

#348 3 years ago

Tested everything again.
I think I figured it out.
It's TOTALLY the new motors from Marco.
I tried the new motors (both of them this time) in all the functioning PCB boards. Nothing.
Then I cleaned out the old motor a bit so the gears were less jammed and tried it in all the PCB boards. It worked in each of them.
So it has to be the wiring in the new motors from Marco.
Gonna email them for their thoughts since their site said it was "plug and play" for Who Dunnit.

In the meantime, if there are any Who Dunnit owners with new Marco Stepper motors in their games can you please let me know the order in which your wires are inserted into the molex.
Thanks everyone!

#349 3 years ago

UPDATE

Fixed the motor issue!
Ryan over at Marco's customer service figured it out!
Long story short, the insertion crimp the motors came with wasn't making a firm connection/bite with the IDC connector.
So I crimped new contacts to the wires and used a molex connector.
The reels are spinning perfectly now.

1 month later
#355 3 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

Hey all, I just joined the club. I’m having a problem with the slot machine. The first and second real do not match what it says on the DMD screen. The third one matches every time. I have them in the correct order and all optos work. There is a little bit of wobble to all of them where it scrapes the Opto but they all spin properly. Could this be the problem?

Are your reels all spinning in the correct direction (towards the flippers)? One of my reels was spinning the opposite direction when I got it so I had to re-wire the molex connector.

#357 3 years ago
Quoted from martymart:

I have similar issues. My centre reel spins only occasionally and I have seen it also spin in the opposite direction. Not sure if this is normal though.
When I first got my machine the centre reel didn’t spin at all although I changed the IC chip and it started working although now it doesn’t spin every time. Not sure if that helps you or not.

I would check your motor wiring on the connectors that go into the motor boards.

3 weeks later
#364 3 years ago

I recently shopped my Who Dunnit and took a boatload of pics. Will go look at them and get back you you if I notice where they may go.

#365 3 years ago

Wow.
Went through all the pics and can’t find where those spacers should go.
Noticed on mine the only spacers are for the spotlights, left ramp exit over the slingshot plastic, and the right ramp just behind the sewer.
It’s possible there is supposed to be a spacer on the right slingshot plastic to push the magnifying glass plastic up a bit to crate a “3D” effect.
Possible that those spacers may go under the top playfield plastics somewhere but didn’t notice where they could go in my shop out pics.
The mystery continues...

#370 3 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Any chance of the main ramps being made?

I would push Butler off a building for a new elevator ramp

#375 3 years ago
Quoted from curban:

I picked up a whodunnit a couple of weeks ago and have been working on it since; couldnt get the GI working so sent the power driver board out for repair.
Is the elevator ramp just the half cylinder? If so, I was able to make a pretty decent replacement with acrylic sheet from Lowe’s, heating in the over until it drooped, and then wrapping it around a 4”OD canister of bread crumbs to cool (I went to grocery store with a ruler and was measuring canisters until I found a 4” one). I used my table saw to rough cut the acrylic close to size and then sanded the edges to get to final size. Someone sells replacement decals, but I just printed the image backwards on clear adhesive label paper and then put a white adhesive label behind it. I was very pleased with how it turned out. Happy to give more details if this is of interest to anyone.
If the elevator ramp is one of those complex pieces...ignore my naive comments...I’m still a bit of a noob.

Clever idea to remake the elevator scoop! Mine is cracked but not too bad and I was able to use some plastic solvent to fix the crack and make it super strong. The “elevator ramp” usually refers to the 3 exit ramp on top of the elevator scoop. Apparently that ramp mold is unobtainium
and the process to make it is very cumbersome. Sucks because almost everyone with a W?D could use a new elevator ramp.

5 months later
#438 2 years ago

#439 2 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

Ok
Do I order color LCD or color DMD plasma. Which is best for this game
We love this game guys so tell the world
Which screen is best!!!

#440 2 years ago

#451 2 years ago
Quoted from ravve:

Got a problem whith my reel: it doesnt always center the "figures", sometimes the wheels stops between two figures.
This happens mostly on the 3rd wheel (most to the right) but also on the others. The wheel seems to stop/get stuck for a millisecond or so, then continue its turning.
Start - stop - start -> stop between 2 figures.
The reel has been taken off before and the set screws are changed for a DYI solution that seems to work ok.
Yes, the right wheel is not completely round anymore since it slightly touches the opto switch in some places.
But I managed to play with the set screw and position the wheel to not have any friction.
What could be causing my issue? Does it affect gameplay? Im new to this game.
Cheers![quoted image]

Damn! Trixie is a babe on your game!

#453 2 years ago

Have you taken the motor out/apart and cleaned it? Could be that there are metal shavings causing issues.
Another thing I’ve read is that the optos may not be reading the reel’s decal spaces appropriately.

Just two top of mind things to look at.
I had issues with my 3rd reel and the culprit was the motor. I installed a new one and it fixed the issues (once I got the correct molex re-wiring schematic from Marco).

#455 2 years ago

I found the post(s) that speak about the opto/reel issue.
Give a read and see if this relates to your scenario.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-dunnit-from-he77-slot-reel-issue-dmd-animation

#458 2 years ago

One of my wheels scrapes the opto a bit as well because it is a bit warped. Thankfully there are replacements.

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-03-9410&Category_Code=GS-3685

2 weeks later
#481 2 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Speaking of cracked ramps... Mine has 2 broken parts of the ramps. I've read a few good things about this product but it's pretty thin so you should either remove the ramps or put a towel on the playfield while applying it.
[quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

I used something similar to fill in the cracks on my elevator ramp. I suggest removing the ramp to be safe since it’s easy to get drips. That’s what I did and was worth the hassle.

The end result was great. Very strong stuff that really does weld the plastic together.

But I hope the ramp guys remake this ramp someday!

#485 2 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

Little video I made...

Which color DMD do you have installed?
LED or LCD?
It looks awesome and I want to add one to mine in the near future.

#491 2 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Anyone have this issue?
When a ball is shot up the upper left taxi lane.... the ball gets stuck under the plastic ramp for about 4 seconds until I think the game tries to find a missing ball & the ramp raises.
[quoted image]

Sounds like one of the switches on the left and right orbit/taxi lanes isnt registering and telling the ramp to lift up.

#494 2 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

The switches seem to be ok? Should there be a 1 way gate in there somewhere?

There’s the up post that diverts the ball to the pops. Is that working properly?

#498 2 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Yes... that is working. Thanks

So if all the switches are working in the left/right taxi orbits then my only other thought is that the up/down ramp mech is being flaky. Have you checked the little micro switch in that actual mech? I believe it’s a little roller switch inside the mech if I’m remembering correctly. I pulled mine and rebuilt it a while ago but will look for pics.

#499 2 years ago

I’m mistaken. It’s a normal cherry switch.

B82637F8-09DD-4595-81F7-55F20592EA0B (resized).jpegB82637F8-09DD-4595-81F7-55F20592EA0B (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#520 2 years ago
Quoted from martymart:

Does anyone have a photo of the wire configuration on the stepper motor connector that goes to the stepper motor board they can share.
I think my connectors are wired incorrectly so keen to see how someone else has it configured on a machine that has working reels.
As a note my motors have the blue / yellow / green / red wires.
Thanks in advance.

Check out my post in this thread.
Post 343 I believe.
I purchased new motors from Marco that were Miss wired but once in the right order all my motors started spinning correctly.

#523 2 years ago
Quoted from martymart:

Thanks for the reference to your post 343. Just to confirm the configuration you have in the photo from top to bottom red, green and then yellow, blue is the configuration that ended up working. I also think I will replace my molex connectors at the same time.

I double checked an email chain I had with Marco’s tech who helped my solve my wiring problem with their new motors.
For the new motor, the wiring should be:
RED pin 1
GREEN pin 2
YELLOW pin 5
BLUE pin 6

2 months later
#583 2 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

Just found this when cleaning. Is this a typical wear point? What's the best course of action? Fill and add mylar? I am not sure I would paint and clear as I imagine I would make it look worse.
[quoted image]

Same ware spots are on my W?D.
I added a little clear nail polish on mine and put a strip of Mylar over it.

1 month later
#623 2 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Coming Very soon ... we will have a very small number this week ...

Looks like Xmas came early this year!
These look great. So glad they are finally able to be reproduced!

4 weeks later
#646 2 years ago
Quoted from micmse:

PPS Do you have a link? I have searched under Who Dunnit and don't see the ramps. thanks

I’ve checked their website everyday for the past week and haven’t seen it yet. Maybe the first lot were presold or reserved.

1 month later
#710 2 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

Installed the center new ramp from PPS. Install went smoothly and the fit was just like factory

Installed mine as well. Fit perfectly.
Makes my W?D look (and play) so much better!

2 weeks later
#734 2 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

The left (#3) reel spins uneven. I tried it on other motor & it spun fine. Reels all look good. No cracks & same roundness. I don't see anything different on left motor. Any ideas?

Ironically one of my wheels spins similarly when I test it outside of the machine like you did. There is a tiny bit of grind somewhere like yours. Spins fluidly during gameplay so I just left it as is.

1 week later
#758 2 years ago

Correct. Checked mine and can confirm yours is mounted upside-down.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ranhorton.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-dunnit-club-and-then-i-was-on-the-case?tu=ranhorton and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.