(Topic ID: 114575)

WHO dunnit Club - And then I was on the case...

By scylla

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,122 posts
  • 168 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 days ago by daakrolb
  • Topic is favorited by 84 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“WHO dunnit?”

• Tony 21 votes
    16%
  • Victoria 23 votes
    17%
  • Butler 31 votes
    23%
  • Bruno 15 votes
    11%
  • Trixie 45 votes
    33%

(135 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

27001d1c-e381-495f-86e7-f46eabaa2422 (resized).jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-29 um 12.48.35 (resized).png
lift ramps (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7876877_7 (resized).jpg
IMG_8253 (resized).JPG
IMG_8100 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240321_180545638 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180539723 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_171323528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180559595 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180552410 (resized).jpg
IMG_4133 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231223_225004619 (resized).jpg
IMG_4942 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4941 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4908 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinkitten.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#260 4 years ago

Joining the club soon...will pick up my WD? at Expo. Took a chance on owning this one before ever playing it, because I like what I've read. Several people who owned this game but later sold it, regretted it and missed playing it. I'm a big fan of murder mystery themes, and I love the classic board game, Clue. It's too bad they never obtained the rights to make that game, perhaps instead of Monopoly? I could see Clue being an excellent process-of-elimination game, where you visit different rooms of a mansion by making shots to turn left or right, or go up or downstairs. Collecting the various weapons to eliminate them, and hitting shots to eliminate the various suspects. Anyway, this one is the best murder mystery game available, and I'm looking forward to owning it!

1 month later
#264 4 years ago

So I picked up my Who Dunnit outside Chicago for a great price. So far we really like this game. There are more shots than you first realize, with the ramp that raises and the 5 scoops. Tricky skill shot too, which also serves as a ball lock. It's a clever pin, and the theme is really awesome for pinball. They did an excellent job on the music too! Very jazzy and genre-appropriate. The mysteries themselves aren't super hard to solve, but that's ok. It's more about the different ways to pursue a high score on this game. I like how you can focus on visiting each floor, collecting evidence or weapons for extra balls or simply going for multiballs or solving as many cases as you can in one game. Something about the way this game shoots is just very easy to play, but not easy to beat. Gambling points is clever too. For the money, this game has more to offer than many high-priced alternatives. Plus, you can play regular 3 ball games, or the 2 minute timed mode. I'm so impressed by this title I'm installing blades and a color DMD in it soon. This one may stay awhile.

1 week later
#270 4 years ago

Has anyone installed a color DMD in there Who Dunnit? What is this small board attached to j604? (Pics below) The original power cord from the old DMD is plugged into it, then this board is plugged into j604. I assume we unplug and remove the board and the cord, but the color DMD instructions only mention the cord.

I did get the new DMD to work 90%. But I’m not getting any image when the slot machine is spinning. My color DMD simply shows 3 empty boxes, with no awards spinning inside each box. Even when the award is decided, it barely flashes for a split second and then is gone. In the video example posted on the color DMD website, it shows the slot awards properly inside the 3 blue boxes. Anyone see this before? I downloaded the software twice, and checked all cables. No luck.

6C23F20F-3389-46A7-9DAE-EC7F43CF3F4F (resized).jpeg6C23F20F-3389-46A7-9DAE-EC7F43CF3F4F (resized).jpegCF644DB9-6569-4E4B-AA1B-F2D626129060 (resized).jpegCF644DB9-6569-4E4B-AA1B-F2D626129060 (resized).jpeg
#276 4 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I was able to determine that the extra board on my WD power board at J604 was probably a filter board that prevents the game from rebooting during gameplay. Marco still sells boards like these for Bally and other pins from the mid 90s. They offer one for Scared Stiff. I assume a prior owner may have experienced rebooting during play, and added that little board. That's my best guess based on what I found online.

I did get a new ROM emailed to me from Color DMD, and it works fine now. Something was wrong with the ROM I downloaded. I believe Color DMD is fixing it.

And then, I was back on the case.

I set my personal best score and closed 3 cases. 4.2 billion. Great game, simple yet so satisfying to play. Oh, and I discovered that you can really rack up points fast in the penthouse party mode! All shots are worth progressively more, but just keep shooting the elevator, much safer and points come fast and furious! Of course, you still need the key and to reach the top!

#280 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I'm picking up my game on Saturday. Can't wait! Such a unique game...glad to add it to the collection.

Congrats! I’ve had mine just 3 weeks. We have been very pleasantly surprised. It won’t make anyone forget TZ, but it’s a fun, simple game with some real strategy to scoring well. I love trying to work my way up the Pinside top 100 scores. If I can break into the top 10 or 20 scores on a game, it gives me something to shoot for. This game has a smooth attitude to it. Really captures the whole “down on his luck gumshoe” type detective theme. The music when you don’t get a high score is just fantastic. Piano banged out in a smoky, dimly-lit bar in some back alley in a rough part of town. It’s the same old story.

#284 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

The only thing I'm a bit unhappy about is the amount of cracking on these ramps. I assume it's somewhat normal for this game but it bothers me. Just about every location with a screw has cracking..ugh!

I bet that’s common with plastic ramps and tight metal screws. Mine has minimal cracks around the screws, but adding washers and only tightening as much as necessary may help. I have one cracked plastic, but found a replacement for it.

#286 4 years ago
Quoted from wlf_:

W?D? is great cuz it is a pretty forgiving player, but you still lose balls enough in the slings it isn't dull. once you learn the game, big big scores are within reach for most. Great game!
I've played it way to much at my local spots, my quick hot tips are to work the left orbit nudge slots... that basically can amount to free EBs and multiballs. Grab the revolver asap, and focus on getting balls up top via that left orbit to increase the Mb jackpot value, maxes out at 251 million. Be careful as during multiplayer the jackpot increases for everyone.
Penthouse party is an easy billion. Get every extra ball possible. Plunge for super skill, often if missed you wont validate playfield. If you're ballsy you can lock, drain, and get another shot at it with ball save. Bet that roulette, normal settings it is friendly, and even losing ups your bonus multiplier.
I think my PB is 20 billion ish, but we just got a new one on location, and I'm gonna make a run at a biiiiig score soon I hope!

Great tips! I still don’t know where to locate the weapons or why they are important. I’m just scratching the surface. I think I have a 6B score now, good for like 39th or something. Long way to go. I will definitely try your ideas and try to learn the rules better! I will break into the top 20 someday.

2 weeks later
#288 4 years ago

Broke into the top 20! (#20). Scored over 9 billion. Gambled 2.2b and won. Still don’t have a map or know the best ways to score. Just trying to stay alive and solve cases. I like the old-time taxi. Gonna add one I think.

2 months later
#302 4 years ago

Nice story, thanks for sharing! It’s exciting when you have space in your home and a love for pinball! I finally hit capacity in my basement a couple months ago and have been selling a few titles to make room. One pin that isn’t leaving anytime soon is Who Dunnit. I found one for a very reasonable price last fall and for some reason it hadn’t sold. When I saw it I realized how little it needed. It had been in the same home for 15 years or more, and was very well cared for. Probably one of the best deals I’ve made yet.

Who Dunnit is a game with a lot of charm and is really fun to shoot. Especially for the price, which is still one of the better values. I should keep that under my hat!

Glad you and your wife are on the case.

#303 4 years ago

So check this out fellow gumshoes...I really like the idea of using an MRS magnetic-activated switch in place of some physical micro switches with the metal arm. At times, my 3-way ramp switches would slow down the ball or even stop it and I would then adjust the switch. I had that issue on The Shadow and at the top of my GB ramp. So I saw a post by Pinsider “Sonic,” who is offering MRS switches for $30 each. I took a chance and ordered 3, cut my green and white wires on my 3 ramp switches and soldered the MRS switches on. Check it out below! They work great. They are highly sensitive and register hits every time a ball passes by. You can mount them under the ramps or on the sides. No more metal switches to activate or touch the ball. Better flow, and registering 100% so far.

It’s just marrying of the bare wires and soldering them together. Each MRS comes with several inches of wire, one green and one white. Easy to cut and match up greens and whites. I just exposed a half inch of wire on each and twisted them together, add a tiny bit of solder and covered with heat shrink or electrical tape. The MRS has adhesive tabs under them for sticking to the ramp.

Really happy with these magnetic switches and how they improve my pin. Some may prefer the metal switches, and I do as well in most locations. Here tho, they work great!

They use MRS switches on some other pins too. On Safe Cracker for the top A-B-C rollovers. I think TZ may have some.

Contact Matt, “Sonic” here on Pinside if you are interested. He will custom make them with the length of wire you need for your application.

Enjoy!
BF224239-3732-4E9A-89E8-4A61A6500DA0 (resized).jpegBF224239-3732-4E9A-89E8-4A61A6500DA0 (resized).jpeg838D207B-BCB4-4443-9BFB-7C7DFEA42C72 (resized).jpeg838D207B-BCB4-4443-9BFB-7C7DFEA42C72 (resized).jpegDBEC9140-1824-49D7-82E1-015C5BBEECA1 (resized).jpegDBEC9140-1824-49D7-82E1-015C5BBEECA1 (resized).jpeg3F75C423-F11C-4CD0-8F9A-B0119CB3F7CD (resized).jpeg3F75C423-F11C-4CD0-8F9A-B0119CB3F7CD (resized).jpeg50DC6AA7-2719-4F74-9C83-E64BDF2CC897 (resized).jpeg50DC6AA7-2719-4F74-9C83-E64BDF2CC897 (resized).jpegD61FE9AE-E3C0-49C8-9359-50FB7C647464 (resized).jpegD61FE9AE-E3C0-49C8-9359-50FB7C647464 (resized).jpegE28D0F81-5006-4BBF-9C86-EFD4E31C1D0C (resized).jpegE28D0F81-5006-4BBF-9C86-EFD4E31C1D0C (resized).jpeg

8 months later
#379 3 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

I would push Butler off a building for a new elevator ramp

I don’t like Butler’s snobby attitude one bit. He’s either a killer, or trying to throw the others under the bus. I don’t think Butler is even his real name.

1 month later
#388 3 years ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

Having my who dunnit completely redone and upgraded.. I have most my games powder coated, having a tricky time picking color for this one..anybody have pics of theirs powder coated?

I have only tried colored legs on mine so far, but both red and orange look good. You could also go with the light blue to match the side of the cab art. Here are the red and orange legs...

9B5FB120-4FA9-49F5-B591-4482620A5BD0 (resized).png9B5FB120-4FA9-49F5-B591-4482620A5BD0 (resized).pngC6036808-86DC-4146-A636-67187E233DF7 (resized).pngC6036808-86DC-4146-A636-67187E233DF7 (resized).png
#392 3 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Super impressed by your custom personalized decal on your cup holder!

Thanks! My wife had those made. If you would like one it’s $12.95 for the pingulp and $49.95 with the decal. Plus S & H.

#393 3 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I like the red choice slightly more.

I agree. The red really pops.

2 weeks later
#399 3 years ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

I ended up going with red for the powder coating, turned out great. Now just need to make space in the game room
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Red powder coat looks fantastic on that pin! I’ve never seen a coin door like that one, it’s got character. Powder coat it red too!

#401 3 years ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

Thanks! The family I bought it from had it for 15 years. Two things were odd, the coin door and a very strange barrel lock over by the credit button. Normally I dont powder coat my coin doors, I did just do it on my TMNT though and did like it, so going forward I might start doing those too
[quoted image]

I would powder coat that unique door to match the red!

I like the blades on your TMNT too! Where did you get those? I had a TMNT pro, but don't recall ever seeing those.

#403 3 years ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

Thanks..I make my own art blades, I have a gallery large format printer at home, prints canvas, matte paper, photo paper, adhesive fat head type material. Etc. I ordered mirror blades for who dunnit though[quoted image][quoted image]

That’s amazing! Nice job. Those blades look totally legit professional. Great choice of art, the playfield and cab are so colorful already, the subtle colors and moon are perfect. I want a printer (and artistic talent) like that!

3 months later
#421 2 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

New owner checking in! Grand Champion 20 mins after unpacking Fun pin! ColorDMD will be here Friday.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like a really nice Who Dunnit! Congrats on your game and the high score! That’s about my best too. Maybe 11 billion. I’ve solved 3 of the 5 cases in a game, never more tho. Very unique pin really feels like no other. If you like atmosphere, figuring out how to collect equipment and clues, and you don’t mind a little stop and go, this is a fun pin. Not easy to find, but still a bargain compared to some. If you can get that map, it really helps!

#423 2 years ago

I love this era Bally / WMS pins and I never played this one ever. I got a great deal on it considering the condition and it's really fun pin to get into for sure. Fits in well with my others. I meant to ask is there any video modes on it?

I don’t think so. Just the roulette wheel choice of red or black. But they made good use of the DMD with clues and animations. “Meet me in the basement? Hmmmm.” I like the spin-off of Clue, which would work really well if you could move from room to room, sorta like Alice Cooper Nightmare Castle. Glad you found a nice one at a good price. We did too, not far from Expo near Chicago back in 2019. Great price from an owner who had it 15+ years. Prices were different then!

#427 2 years ago

With a lot of interaction with the DMD I was hoping for a video mode it is nice how there is a lot going on in the DMD. My ColorDMD will be here today can't wait to install that! I played Clue as a kid a lot so maybe that's why it pulled me in. Usually I buy pins that need a full shop and LED's so it was nice to pick this one up cheap and it's all done already. I'm so not use to plug it in and play. Well I did change a few flashers on it already Lighted flipper buttons on the way as well from Pinball Life. That is one of my favorite mods.

Plug n play is nice, and I agree, rare. I love the classic Clue game. My fav era is around 1960. I have a few of the boards from that version. I like the artwork. I like the similarity to Clue, but I think a game could still be made based entirely on the board game, where you have to eliminate suspects, weapons and rooms, by visiting rooms, and shooting the right shots to collect everything. Who Dunnit is a simplified version of that I suppose.

DFD8C609-EE25-4E43-A9CF-AA49F7DEEED6 (resized).jpegDFD8C609-EE25-4E43-A9CF-AA49F7DEEED6 (resized).jpeg
#444 2 years ago

I know I outta know this by now, but who is “Tex?” Sometimes I think they are referring to Bruno, other times to someone else entirely. I’m a bit slow.

#446 2 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

Tex is Bruno, read pages A & B at the front of the manual, it explains all the characters.

Thanks. I sorta thought so, but wasn’t convinced. Some clues are confusing. I also played a 12 billion game recently where I identified the killer in all 5 cases, then failed 5 times in a row to catch them on the roof.

2 weeks later
#465 2 years ago

Does anyone know how to isolate the audio for the piano at the end of the game? I would like that for my ringtone. Anyone good with audio have an idea, other than simply recording it?

#468 2 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai6MUil3CKi4htVOF6V6Gy1CDE-NZA?e=uOrBkc
That will have the wav of the ending music here in a few minutes. That link is good for a day, but it's the entire band playing not just the piano if that's what you're looking for.

Yeah, whatever music is at the end of a non-high score game! Thank you!

#479 2 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai6MUil3CKi4htVOF6V6Gy1CDE-NZA?e=uOrBkc
That will have the wav of the ending music here in a few minutes. That link is good for a day, but it's the entire band playing not just the piano if that's what you're looking for.

Thank you again for the wav file. The music is exactly what I wanted. I saved the wav file to my phone, and it can be converted into a ringtone by changing the format. There are several steps, which are found in the article below. I’ll miss this game. Maybe, someday I’ll be back on the case...

A2BAC812-24BB-4B99-8196-78834A1D1544 (resized).pngA2BAC812-24BB-4B99-8196-78834A1D1544 (resized).png
2 years later
#1078 6 months ago

And then (2 years later) I was back on the case! Very excited to say I’m rejoining the club after selling my very nice Who Dunnit in 2021. Found another beauty within driving distance and should have by next weekend. I never got that smooth, jazzy, smoky piano music out of my head! Some pins are worth bringing back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinkitten.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-dunnit-club-and-then-i-was-on-the-case?tu=pinkitten and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.