(Topic ID: 114575)

WHO dunnit Club - And then I was on the case...

By scylla

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,122 posts
  • 168 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 days ago by daakrolb
  • Topic is favorited by 84 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“WHO dunnit?”

• Tony 21 votes
    16%
  • Victoria 23 votes
    17%
  • Butler 31 votes
    23%
  • Bruno 15 votes
    11%
  • Trixie 45 votes
    33%

(135 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

27001d1c-e381-495f-86e7-f46eabaa2422 (resized).jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-29 um 12.48.35 (resized).png
lift ramps (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7876877_7 (resized).jpg
IMG_8253 (resized).JPG
IMG_8100 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240321_180545638 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180539723 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_171323528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180559595 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180552410 (resized).jpg
IMG_4133 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231223_225004619 (resized).jpg
IMG_4942 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4941 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4908 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,122 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 23.
#401 3 years ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

Thanks! The family I bought it from had it for 15 years. Two things were odd, the coin door and a very strange barrel lock over by the credit button. Normally I dont powder coat my coin doors, I did just do it on my TMNT though and did like it, so going forward I might start doing those too
[quoted image]

I would powder coat that unique door to match the red!

I like the blades on your TMNT too! Where did you get those? I had a TMNT pro, but don't recall ever seeing those.

#402 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I would powder coat that unique door to match the red!
I like the blades on your TMNT too! Where did you get those? I had a TMNT pro, but don't recall ever seeing those.

Thanks..I make my own art blades, I have a gallery large format printer at home, prints canvas, matte paper, photo paper, adhesive fat head type material. Etc. I ordered mirror blades for who dunnit though

IMG_20201211_173437~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20201211_173437~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20201211_173443~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20201211_173443~2 (resized).jpg
#403 3 years ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

Thanks..I make my own art blades, I have a gallery large format printer at home, prints canvas, matte paper, photo paper, adhesive fat head type material. Etc. I ordered mirror blades for who dunnit though[quoted image][quoted image]

That’s amazing! Nice job. Those blades look totally legit professional. Great choice of art, the playfield and cab are so colorful already, the subtle colors and moon are perfect. I want a printer (and artistic talent) like that!

1 month later
#404 3 years ago

Having slot reel issues, thought I would share the link here to my issue. Any help would,be appreciated.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whodunnit-slot-reel-issues

#405 3 years ago

I was having this issue recently and took everything apart as you have with no change. In desperation I reseated all the connections in the backbox and it cured it! No idea why but I'm waiting for it to happen again so I can investigate at that end!

1 month later
#406 3 years ago

By a request, I made 3D Coin Reject Buttons for Who Dunnit!

WhoDunnit_2_RCP (resized).jpgWhoDunnit_2_RCP (resized).jpg

These are 3D printed with two filaments and accented with ink. They feature a magnifying glass discovering a fingerprint, and a mysterious question mark. Available in your choice of translucent color (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, or white/clear); complimentary matching coin slots are included.

WhoDunnit_1_RCP (resized).jpgWhoDunnit_1_RCP (resized).jpg

Contact me through my website, https://rocketcitypinball.com, or visit my shop here on Pinside:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1282-rocket-city-pinball/04954-3d-coin-reject-buttons-who-dunnit

2 weeks later
#407 3 years ago

Started this thread on the stepper motor driver board. Take a look and let me know if anyone is interested.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-dunnit-stepper-motor-driver-slot-machine-new-boards#post-6223231

#408 3 years ago

Looking at joining the club! The one I am looking at looks to be in great condition but the slot machine reels do not do anything. Is there anything I can look at for this issue? If I get the machine can this be an easy fix or a problem to avoid all together? Thanks for any help!

#409 3 years ago
Quoted from Watkinsd13:

...the slot machine reels do not do anything. Is there anything I can look at for this issue? If I get the machine can this be an easy fix or a problem to avoid all together?

If you read through this thread and others on here, you'll find the reels seem to be the main fail-point for this machine. The bad news is that they can be hard to diagnose and fix, but the good news is that you can just disable them in the settings. It will show a credit dot, but the game is 100% playable without them.

#410 3 years ago
Quoted from toastbot:

If you read through this thread and others on here, you'll find the reels seem to be the main fail-point for this machine. The bad news is that they can be hard to diagnose and fix, but the good news is that you can just disable them in the settings. It will show a credit dot, but the game is 100% playable without them.

True, but it’s a really cool feature. I want my machines fully operating. What I love is how this community rallies to keep these wonderful machines fully functioning. I am waiting on my test boards to be shipped to me so I can test the, out. Hoping to come up with a cheap solution for everyone to keep the, running!

#411 3 years ago
Quoted from toastbot:If you read through this thread and others on here, you'll find the reels seem to be the main fail-point for this machine. The bad news is that they can be hard to diagnose and fix, but the good news is that you can just disable them in the settings. It will show a credit dot, but the game is 100% playable without them.

Absolutely. I think it is really cool that it’s still functional with out it. I have read through this and other folks having issues with the reels but I havnt seen where none of them work at all so I am concerned it was maybe more then just the reel motor or loose connection that was messed up. I’m okay working on reels at my own pace but I’m going to get murdered if I bring home another machine needing all kinds of stuff done to it just to make it work. Lol

#412 3 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

True, but it’s a really cool feature. I want my machines fully operating. What I love is how this community rallies to keep these wonderful machines fully functioning. I am waiting on my test boards to be shipped to me so I can test the, out. Hoping to come up with a cheap solution for everyone to keep the, running!

I have read your post as well and really hope the boards work! Since each reel needs one of those boards to make them work individually, I’m guessing those would all connect to one spot. Is that where the issue may be if none of the reels are working?

#413 3 years ago
Quoted from Watkinsd13:

I have read your post as well and really hope the boards work! Since each reel needs one of those boards to make them work individually, I’m guessing those would all connect to one spot. Is that where the issue may be if none of the reels are working?

Agree if someone has none of the reels working, I would start with:
- first I would make sure they are not disabled in the menu.
- do all of the LED’s on the 3 board light up (12v). If they don’t there is a single plug towards the bottom/back of the playfield that runs 13v to them
- Next I would make sure all of the connectors on the boards are seated well.
- After that, I would check the 3 connectors for the reel to the working harness, they are right next to the reels where they are fastened to the bottom of the playfield.
- from there I would check the connectors on the MPU that trigger the reels. Make sure all is seated properly.

This is a good start for basic troubleshooting. From there it gets a little more complicated but can be solved.

1 week later
#414 2 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

Agree if someone has none of the reels working, I would start with:
- first I would make sure they are not disabled in the menu.
- do all of the LED’s on the 3 board light up (12v). If they don’t there is a single plug towards the bottom/back of the playfield that runs 13v to them
- Next I would make sure all of the connectors on the boards are seated well.
- After that, I would check the 3 connectors for the reel to the working harness, they are right next to the reels where they are fastened to the bottom of the playfield.
- from there I would check the connectors on the MPU that trigger the reels. Make sure all is seated properly.
This is a good start for basic troubleshooting. From there it gets a little more complicated but can be solved.

Wow! Thank you so much! So I did join the club and got into the reels.

-I with through and checked everything you described. And go one motor slightly spinning
-I then took the three motors apart and found two of them were pretty much destroyed but the one that sorta spun I was able to clean and got that working.
-Ordered two new motors and got those in today. Plugged them in and they are all spinning!

With that being said two new issues one I think is easy but the other I’m a little puzzled.

Easy problem- reel three sensor doesn’t seem to be working so I will order a new one and hopefully fix that.

Weird problem- the light on reel one works and works when it spins but in a chase or during test it only lights up and then turns off and stays off until it is triggered again. Not really sure what to do with that.

#415 2 years ago

New owner checking in! Grand Champion 20 mins after unpacking Fun pin! ColorDMD will be here Friday.

174242584_255488442970998_2053810848433978878_n (resized).jpg174242584_255488442970998_2053810848433978878_n (resized).jpg174370654_153109963305584_8588279931315311955_n (resized).jpg174370654_153109963305584_8588279931315311955_n (resized).jpg51144749441_9eb45a9183_o (resized).jpg51144749441_9eb45a9183_o (resized).jpg51144972918_a7396ecccb_o (resized).jpg51144972918_a7396ecccb_o (resized).jpg51145539069_1825c9704e_o (resized).jpg51145539069_1825c9704e_o (resized).jpg51145544194_a2688979dd_o (resized).jpg51145544194_a2688979dd_o (resized).jpg51145864035_2bdc9f8067_o (resized).jpg51145864035_2bdc9f8067_o (resized).jpg
#416 2 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

New owner checking in! Grand Champion 20 mins after unpacking Fun pin! ColorDMD will be here Friday.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Welcome to the club. How did you GC? Catching killers on the roof? I struggle with that timed shot when it keeps moving!

It is a great and very unique game. The atmosphere the pin and its music/theme give off is great. I spent a couple years looking for one before I finally found one and I'd have a really hard time letting it go.

#417 2 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Welcome to the club. How did you GC? Catching killers on the roof? I struggle with that timed shot when it keeps moving!
It is a great and very unique game. The atmosphere the pin and its music/theme give off is great. I spent a couple years looking for one before I finally found one and I'd have a really hard time letting it go.

It had to be first time players luck! I just happened to be hitting everything I needed to hit! I was pretty shocked at my score. I also got that roulette wheel right a handful of times out of luck. Maybe the machine was happy to have a new owner? but yes I love the theme, music, and atmosphere the machine throws at you. I got this one for a great price and I could not resist! Fully shopped, all new slot wheels, new decals, all serviced and playing super fast. I think a ramp or two has a crack in it. But other than that she's a beauty! Can't wait to spend more time on it!

#418 2 years ago

Fun game that keeps bringing you back for more. I set mine on hard and set a limit on extra balls to just two.much more playable now.

#419 2 years ago

It had to be first time players luck! I just happened to be hitting everything I needed to hit! I was pretty shocked at my score. I also got that roulette wheel right a handful of times out of luck. Maybe the machine was happy to have a new owner? but yes I love the theme, music, and atmosphere the machine throws at you. I got this one for a great price and I could not resist! Fully shopped, all new slot wheels, new decals, all serviced and playing super fast. I think a ramp or two has a crack in it. But other than that she's a beauty! Can't wait to spend more time on it!

Pretty sure many Who Dunnit ramps are cracked. This is one of those ramps all the owners are hoping for a reproduction of someday. I'd buy one and I don't even need one right now.

#420 2 years ago

Pretty sure many Who Dunnit ramps are cracked. This is one of those ramps all the owners are hoping for a reproduction of someday. I'd buy one and I don't even need one right now.

When I see Star ship Fantasy at the next show I'll see if I can bend his arm to make them.

#421 2 years ago

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like a really nice Who Dunnit! Congrats on your game and the high score! That’s about my best too. Maybe 11 billion. I’ve solved 3 of the 5 cases in a game, never more tho. Very unique pin really feels like no other. If you like atmosphere, figuring out how to collect equipment and clues, and you don’t mind a little stop and go, this is a fun pin. Not easy to find, but still a bargain compared to some. If you can get that map, it really helps!

#422 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Looks like a really nice Who Dunnit! Congrats on your game and the high score! That’s about my best too. Maybe 11 billion. I’ve solved 3 of the 5 cases in a game, never more tho. Very unique pin really feels like no other. If you like atmosphere, figuring out how to collect equipment and clues, and you don’t mind a little stop and go, this is a fun pin. Not easy to find, but still a bargain compared to some. If you can get that map, it really helps!

I love this era Bally / WMS pins and I never played this one ever. I got a great deal on it considering the condition and it's really fun pin to get into for sure. Fits in well with my others. I meant to ask is there any video modes on it?

#423 2 years ago

I love this era Bally / WMS pins and I never played this one ever. I got a great deal on it considering the condition and it's really fun pin to get into for sure. Fits in well with my others. I meant to ask is there any video modes on it?

I don’t think so. Just the roulette wheel choice of red or black. But they made good use of the DMD with clues and animations. “Meet me in the basement? Hmmmm.” I like the spin-off of Clue, which would work really well if you could move from room to room, sorta like Alice Cooper Nightmare Castle. Glad you found a nice one at a good price. We did too, not far from Expo near Chicago back in 2019. Great price from an owner who had it 15+ years. Prices were different then!

#424 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I don’t think so. Just the roulette wheel choice of red or black. But they made good use of the DMD with clues and animations. “Meet me in the basement? Hmmmm.” I like the spin-off of Clue, which would work really well if you could move from room to room, sorta like Alice Cooper Nightmare Castle. Glad you found a nice one at a good price. We did too, not far from Expo near Chicago back in 2019. Great price from an owner who had it 15+ years. Prices were different then!

With a lot of interaction with the DMD I was hoping for a video mode it is nice how there is a lot going on in the DMD. My ColorDMD will be here today can't wait to install that! I played Clue as a kid a lot so maybe that's why it pulled me in. Usually I buy pins that need a full shop and LED's so it was nice to pick this one up cheap and it's all done already. I'm so not use to plug it in and play. Well I did change a few flashers on it already Lighted flipper buttons on the way as well from Pinball Life. That is one of my favorite mods.

#425 2 years ago

With a lot of interaction with the DMD I was hoping for a video mode it is nice how there is a lot going on in the DMD. My ColorDMD will be here today can't wait to install that! I played Clue as a kid a lot so maybe that's why it pulled me in. Usually I buy pins that need a full shop and LED's so it was nice to pick this one up cheap and it's all done already. I'm so not use to plug it in and play. Well I did change a few flashers on it already Lighted flipper buttons on the way as well from Pinball Life. That is one of my favorite mods.

I'm with you there - I usually have to do at least cleaning and flipper rebuilds on my "new to me" games. It is nice to have turnkey. Don't worry though because it is pinball and something will break soon.

#426 2 years ago

I'm with you there - I usually have to do at least cleaning and flipper rebuilds on my "new to me" games. It is nice to have turnkey. Don't worry though because it is pinball and something will break soon.

hahah this is true! I picked up a Sharkey's Shootout and the first 10 games all the drop targets snapped off one by one till there was none after 10 games! lol

#427 2 years ago

Plug n play is nice, and I agree, rare. I love the classic Clue game. My fav era is around 1960. I have a few of the boards from that version. I like the artwork. I like the similarity to Clue, but I think a game could still be made based entirely on the board game, where you have to eliminate suspects, weapons and rooms, by visiting rooms, and shooting the right shots to collect everything. Who Dunnit is a simplified version of that I suppose.

DFD8C609-EE25-4E43-A9CF-AA49F7DEEED6 (resized).jpegDFD8C609-EE25-4E43-A9CF-AA49F7DEEED6 (resized).jpeg
#428 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Plug n play is nice, and I agree, rare. I love the classic Clue game. My fav era is around 1960. I have a few of the boards from that version. I like the artwork. I like the similarity to Clue, but I think a game could still be made based entirely on the board game, where you have to eliminate suspects, weapons and rooms, by visiting rooms, and shooting the right shots to collect everything. Who Dunnit is a simplified version of that I suppose. [quoted image]

Nice that one is a little older than me! Maybe one of the pin manufactures need to come up with a new pin called Clue! Wonder how that would do. With today's technology they could make something pretty cool that's for sure! But I do get the feel of playing Clue on Who Dunnit.

#429 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

You pick whodunnit with the flippers. It’s an animated component too.

#430 2 years ago

Well, my kid found secret mania! How many people even know about that, secret floor mode. I've never gotten it..don't feel bad..he's ranked 101 in the world on ifpa youth players..he's been beating me for years now

IMG_20210223_200700~3 (resized).jpgIMG_20210223_200700~3 (resized).jpg

IMG_20210501_092944~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20210501_092944~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20210501_092931~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20210501_092931~2 (resized).jpg
#431 2 years ago

I have played mine a lot and have not seen that wizard mode. I have had midnight madness several times, which is really cool!

That’s awesome about your son. Love seen the younger generation playing pinball!

#432 2 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

I have played mine a lot and have not seen that wizard mode. I have had midnight madness several times, which is really cool!
That’s awesome about your son. Love seen the younger generation playing pinball!

It's not so much a wizard mode..more of a secret mode , you can start it at any point of the game.

#433 2 years ago

This is how you do it, from what I read:

- After collecting floor 3 press both flippers 3 times to manually stop the elevator on floor 3 while the animation arrow is passing floor 3 on the dmd (ie moving from floor 2 to 4)
- Shoot center to collect the secret floor mania.

Correct?

#434 2 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

This is how you do it: After collecting floor 3 press both flippers 3 times to manually stop the elevator on floor 3 while the arrow is passing floor 3 on the dmd (from floor 2 to 4) then shoot center to collect the secret floor mania. Correct?

Just about what I explained back in post 21 of this thread.

Added over 3 years ago:

NOTE: Dwight Sullivan told me about the Secret Mania mode during en expo tour of the Stern factory years ago.

#435 2 years ago

Mmmmm ColorDMD mod.

51153902291_fa8a2687a5_o (resized).jpg51153902291_fa8a2687a5_o (resized).jpg51153902371_a3b296db81_o (resized).jpg51153902371_a3b296db81_o (resized).jpg
#436 2 years ago

Mmmmm ColorDMD mod.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I have a real nice Who Dunnit and realize what a great game it is. Ordered the lcd color display today.

#437 2 years ago

Mmmmm ColorDMD mod.

Quoted from locksmith:

I have a real nice Who Dunnit and realize what a great game it is. Ordered the lcd color display today.

This one deserves it for sure! Seems he improved his panels lately as well. This one looks better then them all. The actual panel seemed a little different then my others.

#438 2 years ago

#439 2 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

Ok
Do I order color LCD or color DMD plasma. Which is best for this game
We love this game guys so tell the world
Which screen is best!!!

#440 2 years ago

#441 2 years ago

So I have been having issues with my third reel opto not sensing. I have moved the board and it works fine and registers. I have reseated all the connections and wires and the opto is on when plugged in but just is registering as closed. As I said, the opto is working because I have tested in the other reel slots and the other optos do not register on reel three either. Any suggestions?

#442 2 years ago

Is the wheel warped at all? I have had them where the opto misses the slot because its out of line.

#443 2 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

Is the wheel warped at all? I have had them where the opto misses the slot because its out of line.

No the reel is solid. I took the sensor completely out and testing by hand and it isn’t registering. Only when it’s plugged in to the far right wires though. Everywhere else it works fine.

#444 2 years ago

I know I outta know this by now, but who is “Tex?” Sometimes I think they are referring to Bruno, other times to someone else entirely. I’m a bit slow.

#445 2 years ago

Tex is Bruno, read pages A & B at the front of the manual, it explains all the characters.

#446 2 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

Tex is Bruno, read pages A & B at the front of the manual, it explains all the characters.

Thanks. I sorta thought so, but wasn’t convinced. Some clues are confusing. I also played a 12 billion game recently where I identified the killer in all 5 cases, then failed 5 times in a row to catch them on the roof.

#447 2 years ago

...and then, I was in the club.

Woohoo! Happy to be here.

350BD5B0-ACFC-488E-ABD4-210954B7AEE4 (resized).jpeg350BD5B0-ACFC-488E-ABD4-210954B7AEE4 (resized).jpeg
#448 2 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

This is how you do it, from what I read:
- After collecting floor 3 press both flippers 3 times to manually stop the elevator on floor 3 while the animation arrow is passing floor 3 on the dmd (ie moving from floor 2 to 4)
- Shoot center to collect the secret floor mania.
Correct?

I did this on my game the other day after reading this and the earlier post on this in the thread. I then drained almost immediately because I was looking at the DMD when the ball came back at me which resulted in very little benefit from the mode.

#449 2 years ago

I did this on my game the other day after reading this and the earlier post on this in the thread. I then drained almost immediately because I was looking at the DMD when the ball came back at me which resulted in very little benefit from the mode.

Same here, Had my W?D for over 15 years and never knew about this secret mode, mind blown

#450 2 years ago

Got a problem whith my reel: it doesnt always center the "figures", sometimes the wheels stops between two figures.
This happens mostly on the 3rd wheel (most to the right) but also on the others. The wheel seems to stop/get stuck for a millisecond or so, then continue its turning.
Start - stop - start -> stop between 2 figures.

The reel has been taken off before and the set screws are changed for a DYI solution that seems to work ok.

Yes, the right wheel is not completely round anymore since it slightly touches the opto switch in some places.
But I managed to play with the set screw and position the wheel to not have any friction.

What could be causing my issue? Does it affect gameplay? Im new to this game.

Cheers!

20210507_151116 (resized).jpg20210507_151116 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,122 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-dunnit-club-and-then-i-was-on-the-case/page/9?hl=mitoska and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.