(Topic ID: 114575)

WHO dunnit Club - And then I was on the case...

By scylla

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,122 posts
  • 168 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by daakrolb
  • Topic is favorited by 84 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“WHO dunnit?”

• Tony 21 votes
    16%
  • Victoria 23 votes
    17%
  • Butler 31 votes
    23%
  • Bruno 15 votes
    11%
  • Trixie 45 votes
    33%

(135 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

27001d1c-e381-495f-86e7-f46eabaa2422 (resized).jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-29 um 12.48.35 (resized).png
lift ramps (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7876877_7 (resized).jpg
IMG_8253 (resized).JPG
IMG_8100 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240321_180545638 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180539723 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_171323528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180559595 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180552410 (resized).jpg
IMG_4133 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231223_225004619 (resized).jpg
IMG_4942 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4941 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4908 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,122 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 23.
#351 3 years ago

Hello Folks. Not sure if all I have to do is make a comment to join WD club but I love mine until she broke down and now I'm stuck. Anyone willing to reply to let me know I'm part of the WD club would be welcome. As soon and I get my thoughts together on what's wrong I'll post. I really want to get her gong because she has been down for almost 6 months

#352 3 years ago

Congrats!

You are officially part of the club!

#353 3 years ago

As soon as you own the game you’re part of the club.

Congrats!

#354 3 years ago

Hey all, I just joined the club. I’m having a problem with the slot machine. The first and second real do not match what it says on the DMD screen. The third one matches every time. I have them in the correct order and all optos work. There is a little bit of wobble to all of them where it scrapes the Opto but they all spin properly. Could this be the problem?

#355 3 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

Hey all, I just joined the club. I’m having a problem with the slot machine. The first and second real do not match what it says on the DMD screen. The third one matches every time. I have them in the correct order and all optos work. There is a little bit of wobble to all of them where it scrapes the Opto but they all spin properly. Could this be the problem?

Are your reels all spinning in the correct direction (towards the flippers)? One of my reels was spinning the opposite direction when I got it so I had to re-wire the molex connector.

#356 3 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

Are your reels all spinning in the correct direction (towards the flippers)? One of my reels was spinning the opposite direction when I got it so I had to re-wire the molex connector.

I have similar issues. My centre reel spins only occasionally and I have seen it also spin in the opposite direction. Not sure if this is normal though.

When I first got my machine the centre reel didn’t spin at all although I changed the IC chip and it started working although now it doesn’t spin every time. Not sure if that helps you or not.

#357 3 years ago
Quoted from martymart:

I have similar issues. My centre reel spins only occasionally and I have seen it also spin in the opposite direction. Not sure if this is normal though.
When I first got my machine the centre reel didn’t spin at all although I changed the IC chip and it started working although now it doesn’t spin every time. Not sure if that helps you or not.

I would check your motor wiring on the connectors that go into the motor boards.

#358 3 years ago

When I hit the left outer loop, the diverter does not come up fast enough about 50% of the time. Any input why would be appreciated.

#359 3 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

When I hit the left outer loop, the diverter does not come up fast enough about 50% of the time. Any input why would be appreciated.

How about in test?

2 weeks later
#360 3 years ago

I wound up stripping the playfield on my who dunnit it and when I was finished I still had these two hex spacers. They are 1 1/4 inch long. Any ideas where they go?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#361 3 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

...Any ideas where they go?

Spotlights maybe?

spot_posts_wd (resized).jpgspot_posts_wd (resized).jpg
#362 3 years ago
Quoted from toastbot:

Spotlights maybe?

That's what i was thinking too!!

#363 3 years ago

It’s not the spotlights

#364 3 years ago

I recently shopped my Who Dunnit and took a boatload of pics. Will go look at them and get back you you if I notice where they may go.

#365 3 years ago

Wow.
Went through all the pics and can’t find where those spacers should go.
Noticed on mine the only spacers are for the spotlights, left ramp exit over the slingshot plastic, and the right ramp just behind the sewer.
It’s possible there is supposed to be a spacer on the right slingshot plastic to push the magnifying glass plastic up a bit to crate a “3D” effect.
Possible that those spacers may go under the top playfield plastics somewhere but didn’t notice where they could go in my shop out pics.
The mystery continues...

#366 3 years ago

Thanks I think they’re from the upper playfield area.

#367 3 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

This was happening because the switch in the outer left loop was flaky and did not register all the time.

#368 3 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

The mystery continues...

Answer the phone!

#369 3 years ago

Any chance of the main ramps being made?

#370 3 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Any chance of the main ramps being made?

I would push Butler off a building for a new elevator ramp

#371 3 years ago

My elevator ramp is a little cloudy but all intact. I stripped the playfield on mine and removed all the ramps and there was not any breaks or cracks. I was able to get all the slot reels working but they were wobbly so I replaced them all. The old ones would slightly scrape the opto slot at times. The new ones spin perfectly. If anybody gets the new reels, note that they do not come with the insert screw required to tighten them.

#372 3 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

Noticed on mine the only spacers are for the spotlights, left ramp exit over the slingshot plastic, and the right ramp just behind the sewer.

Same thing for me. I noticed that some people have a spacer on the right sling to hold the ramp too.

rrr (resized).jpgrrr (resized).jpg
#373 3 years ago

Ok, I don't recall where they came from but perhaps somebody was using them instead of a nut somewhere on top of a plastic so the ball didn't get stuck. They were definitely not for the spotlights or the ramps by the slings. Everything works as it should and I don't see them anywhere in the manual.

#374 3 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

I picked up a whodunnit a couple of weeks ago and have been working on it since; couldnt get the GI working so sent the power driver board out for repair.

Is the elevator ramp just the half cylinder? If so, I was able to make a pretty decent replacement with acrylic sheet from Lowe’s, heating in the over until it drooped, and then wrapping it around a 4”OD canister of bread crumbs to cool (I went to grocery store with a ruler and was measuring canisters until I found a 4” one). I used my table saw to rough cut the acrylic close to size and then sanded the edges to get to final size. Someone sells replacement decals, but I just printed the image backwards on clear adhesive label paper and then put a white adhesive label behind it. I was very pleased with how it turned out. Happy to give more details if this is of interest to anyone.

If the elevator ramp is one of those complex pieces...ignore my naive comments...I’m still a bit of a noob.

#375 3 years ago
Quoted from curban:

I picked up a whodunnit a couple of weeks ago and have been working on it since; couldnt get the GI working so sent the power driver board out for repair.
Is the elevator ramp just the half cylinder? If so, I was able to make a pretty decent replacement with acrylic sheet from Lowe’s, heating in the over until it drooped, and then wrapping it around a 4”OD canister of bread crumbs to cool (I went to grocery store with a ruler and was measuring canisters until I found a 4” one). I used my table saw to rough cut the acrylic close to size and then sanded the edges to get to final size. Someone sells replacement decals, but I just printed the image backwards on clear adhesive label paper and then put a white adhesive label behind it. I was very pleased with how it turned out. Happy to give more details if this is of interest to anyone.
If the elevator ramp is one of those complex pieces...ignore my naive comments...I’m still a bit of a noob.

Clever idea to remake the elevator scoop! Mine is cracked but not too bad and I was able to use some plastic solvent to fix the crack and make it super strong. The “elevator ramp” usually refers to the 3 exit ramp on top of the elevator scoop. Apparently that ramp mold is unobtainium
and the process to make it is very cumbersome. Sucks because almost everyone with a W?D could use a new elevator ramp.

#376 3 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

The “elevator ramp” usually refers to the 3 exit ramp on top of the elevator scoop. Apparently that ramp mold is unobtainium
and the process to make it is very cumbersome. Sucks because almost everyone with a W?D could use a new elevator ramp

It's actually an injected molded piece that one too so makes it an even more specific one to recreate. Freeplay40 was considering trying to remake this as a regular vacuum molded piece but i haven't heard anything more in recent times.

#377 3 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

The “elevator ramp” usually refers to the 3 exit ramp on top of the elevator scoop. Apparently that ramp mold is unobtainium and the process to make it is very cumbersome. Sucks because almost everyone with a W?D could use a new elevator ramp.

Thanks for setting me straight. Yeah, I don't think I'll be able to make one of those by bending acrylic!
Guess I'm in luck, the elevator ramp that came with mine is in decent condition.

#378 3 years ago

as a fellow WD owner my marco step motors were wired backwards. I wish I have known because I spend the dough to get new sockets and chips only to find out that the ones I have are already good.

Side note: ON the club member over seas, Bay area amusements may still have playfields. I will not confirm or deny but I believe they were picked up as defective or didn't pass inspection but the 5 I saw would looked just fine if clear coated. I actually purchased one. I felt I got a good deal considering I don't plan to sell it.

3 way split ramp. I continue to see on one of the pinball market places on Fascist book a guy who continue to try to get another gut to build them. but never any update. I hear that this ramp is just a blanketly blank blank to make.

to Bagdad: where di you pick up the side decals of the city?

#379 3 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

I don’t like Butler’s snobby attitude one bit. He’s either a killer, or trying to throw the others under the bus. I don’t think Butler is even his real name.

#380 3 years ago

Answer the phone!

#381 3 years ago

Black Friday Sale this week/...and I've had it forever bump.
$10 Bucks Shipped!!!!
SOLD!!

SOLD!
Parts - For Sale
New (selling multiple, business) - “Who Dunnit (W?D) Roulette Wheel Playfield Plastic. Brand New, Never Installed ~ NOS. Pm me for payment details. Paypal purchase only. Free Shipping.”
2020-11-01
Anaheim, CA
Archived after: 21 days
Viewed: 268 times

#382 3 years ago

Since this is the club page I figured I'd post that we've made a simple bug fix for the 3 bank target if your game suffers from it. Just wanted to let everyone know!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1233-arcade-upkeep/04511-who-dunnit-target-bug-fix

#383 3 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeUpkeep:

Since this is the club page I figured I'd post that we've made a simple bug fix for the 3 bank target if your game suffers from it. Just wanted to let everyone know!
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1233-arcade-upkeep/04511-who-dunnit-target-bug-fix

Do all "Who Dunnit" machines have this issue & what actually happens/what is the "bug"

I have not played mine yet to see what happens.

Thanks

#384 3 years ago

Thanks ArcadeUpkeep, didn’t know about this product. My game sometimes has the glitch where the drop target bank won’t move, and it’s blocking the elevator ramp

#385 3 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Do all "Who Dunnit" machines have this issue & what actually happens/what is the "bug"

I don't know if they all do but I believe so. What happens is if the 3 bank target is up when the game is powered on the game will assume it's down and leave it up blocking the ramp, it won't know you're bashing it and won't move it out of the way.

Hope that helped, let me know if your game has the same problem!

#386 3 years ago
Quoted from tandem2:

drop target bank won’t move, and it’s blocking the elevator ramp

That's it, this should fix it for you!

1 month later
#387 3 years ago

Having my who dunnit completely redone and upgraded.. I have most my games powder coated, having a tricky time picking color for this one..anybody have pics of theirs powder coated?

#388 3 years ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

Having my who dunnit completely redone and upgraded.. I have most my games powder coated, having a tricky time picking color for this one..anybody have pics of theirs powder coated?

I have only tried colored legs on mine so far, but both red and orange look good. You could also go with the light blue to match the side of the cab art. Here are the red and orange legs...

9B5FB120-4FA9-49F5-B591-4482620A5BD0 (resized).png9B5FB120-4FA9-49F5-B591-4482620A5BD0 (resized).pngC6036808-86DC-4146-A636-67187E233DF7 (resized).pngC6036808-86DC-4146-A636-67187E233DF7 (resized).png
#389 3 years ago

I like the red choice slightly more.

#390 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I have only tried colored legs on mine so far, but both red and orange look good. You could also go with the light blue to match the side of the cab art. Here are the red and orange legs...
[quoted image][quoted image]

Super impressed by your custom personalized decal on your cup holder!

#391 3 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Yes... I agree... slightly better looking.

#392 3 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Super impressed by your custom personalized decal on your cup holder!

Thanks! My wife had those made. If you would like one it’s $12.95 for the pingulp and $49.95 with the decal. Plus S & H.

#393 3 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I agree. The red really pops.

#394 3 years ago

On who dunnit id either go for a purple to match the art of the decals or a faux brass to match the art Deko of the 1920s that the game is set in.
The orange is terrible to my opinion especially with the blue protectors. the red also draws too much attention.

Inspiration here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/powder-coating-services-offered/page/29#post-4983671

#395 3 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

On who dunnit id either go for a purple to match the art of the decals...

I agree that if you have to paint them something besides black purple would probably look best.

Also regarding the cab protectors: the red/blue color combo is hard to pull off without looking like Superman.

Just like red/green always looks like (Merry) Christmas.

#396 3 years ago

Hello, happy owner of a who dunnit, I would like to redo my tray inserts. Do you know where I can find new inserts?
Thank you in advance.

Nice feet in orange!

#397 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Red might look ok.. I've had about 20 games done..so trying not to repeat colors. Might use a matt blue. I did a vintage hammered brass look on my tales from the crypt..that turned out nice

IMG_20201010_125230~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20201010_125230~2 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#398 3 years ago

I ended up going with red for the powder coating, turned out great. Now just need to make space in the game room

IMG_20210110_153430 (resized).jpgIMG_20210110_153430 (resized).jpgIMG_20210110_174131~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20210110_174131~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20210110_174148~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20210110_174148~2 (resized).jpg
#399 3 years ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

I ended up going with red for the powder coating, turned out great. Now just need to make space in the game room
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Red powder coat looks fantastic on that pin! I’ve never seen a coin door like that one, it’s got character. Powder coat it red too!

#400 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Red powder coat looks fantastic on that pin! I’ve never seen a coin door like that one, it’s got character. Powder coat it red too!

Thanks! The family I bought it from had it for 15 years. Two things were odd, the coin door and a very strange barrel lock over by the credit button. Normally I dont powder coat my coin doors, I did just do it on my TMNT though and did like it, so going forward I might start doing those too

IMG_20201217_201748~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20201217_201748~2 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Altoona, PA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,122 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-dunnit-club-and-then-i-was-on-the-case/page/8?hl=curban and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.