(Topic ID: 114575)

WHO dunnit Club - And then I was on the case...

By scylla

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,122 posts
  • 168 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 days ago by daakrolb
  • Topic is favorited by 84 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“WHO dunnit?”

• Tony 21 votes
    16%
  • Victoria 23 votes
    17%
  • Butler 31 votes
    23%
  • Bruno 15 votes
    11%
  • Trixie 45 votes
    33%

(135 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

27001d1c-e381-495f-86e7-f46eabaa2422 (resized).jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-29 um 12.48.35 (resized).png
lift ramps (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7876877_7 (resized).jpg
IMG_8253 (resized).JPG
IMG_8100 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240321_180545638 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180539723 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_171323528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180559595 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180552410 (resized).jpg
IMG_4133 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231223_225004619 (resized).jpg
IMG_4942 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4941 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4908 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,122 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 23.
#251 4 years ago

I never have. I actually feel accomplished when I catch ONE.

Would have been a great wizard mode.

#252 4 years ago

I´m working original "Who Dunnit" logo. I´m redrawing all in accuracy way because I will use it in my next "Free Play Card" sure!

Regards

#253 4 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

I have set my machine so you can only get 2 extra balls. There aren't many game specific settings compared to most games but you have to make them all harder than the factory settings to get the most out of W?D

It would be great if it were possible to turn off EBs from the slot machine only. I really like the reward of getting an EB when collecting all the clues. It's one of the more fun objectives of the game IMO, so it would be a shame to lose the incentive to do this.

#254 4 years ago

I have a question about a machine currently in the US. The Model displays: Who Dunnit - Germany (3slot). Does this mean the machine went to Germany, then back to the States. The tag shows Waukeagan, IL. (I assume point of manufacture).

#255 4 years ago

I just finished, Free Play Card is ready to print!

Logo is exact to original, illustration represent "Nick Space" private investigator character, text is inspirend in original flyer, All is at 300 dpi (hight definition) and both cards (rules and Free play) will be printed in chrome vinyl with gloss protective lamination.

Card was upload to my main thread "RESTORED AND CUSTOMIZED PINBALL ARTWORKS - Showroom thread by Mikonos".

Tell me your opinion and who is interested.

Best regards

Mik

#256 4 years ago

Here I made an isnstruction card as well. FREE for you. The pricing card is german, feel free to adapt it.

card.pdfcard.pdf
#257 4 years ago

Plenty of who dunnit parts still.
Click my ads and send me a Pm message.
Combo up for discounts!

1 month later
#258 4 years ago

I am looking for a NOS playfield for Who Dunnit, if anyone can help me in any way, please send me PM, thanks!!

3 weeks later
#259 4 years ago

Great restore and spare parts lot.

Parts - For Sale
New (selling multiple, business) - “Roulette wheel=18 FREE SHIPPING”
2020-03-09
Anaheim, CA
Archived after: 83 days
Viewed: 766 times

3 weeks later
#260 4 years ago

Joining the club soon...will pick up my WD? at Expo. Took a chance on owning this one before ever playing it, because I like what I've read. Several people who owned this game but later sold it, regretted it and missed playing it. I'm a big fan of murder mystery themes, and I love the classic board game, Clue. It's too bad they never obtained the rights to make that game, perhaps instead of Monopoly? I could see Clue being an excellent process-of-elimination game, where you visit different rooms of a mansion by making shots to turn left or right, or go up or downstairs. Collecting the various weapons to eliminate them, and hitting shots to eliminate the various suspects. Anyway, this one is the best murder mystery game available, and I'm looking forward to owning it!

#261 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Joining the club soon...will pick up my WD? at Expo. Took a chance on owning this one before ever playing it, because I like what I've read. Several people who owned this game but later sold it, regretted it and missed playing it. I'm a big fan of murder mystery themes, and I love the classic board game, Clue. It's too bad they never obtained the rights to make that game, perhaps instead of Monopoly? I could see Clue being an excellent process-of-elimination game, where you visit different rooms of a mansion by making shots to turn left or right, or go up or downstairs. Collecting the various weapons to eliminate them, and hitting shots to eliminate the various suspects. Anyway, this one is the best murder mystery game available, and I'm looking forward to owning it!

You'll enjoy it , It's a pretty fun and unique. Especially if you are a fan of murder mysteries this game is a no brainer then. Have with the new game!

#262 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Welcome to the club Pinkitten! It's simple but different every time. Midnight Madness is great and while some don't like the randomness of the "betting aspect" of it, I am a gambler at heart and love it. A little hint for the crimes....the butler did it. lol

#263 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I played it for the first time at a show and decided it was so unique I wanted it in my small collection of 6 pins. It took me three years to find one close by and the guy I got it from genuinely seemed on the fence about selling. The entire detective theme (music etc) is so unique and everyone who plays in my game room notes it as being one of my “cooler” games despite being one of my older games.

I’ve owned it for a year now and I still feel I would have a hard time selling it...

1 month later
#264 4 years ago

So I picked up my Who Dunnit outside Chicago for a great price. So far we really like this game. There are more shots than you first realize, with the ramp that raises and the 5 scoops. Tricky skill shot too, which also serves as a ball lock. It's a clever pin, and the theme is really awesome for pinball. They did an excellent job on the music too! Very jazzy and genre-appropriate. The mysteries themselves aren't super hard to solve, but that's ok. It's more about the different ways to pursue a high score on this game. I like how you can focus on visiting each floor, collecting evidence or weapons for extra balls or simply going for multiballs or solving as many cases as you can in one game. Something about the way this game shoots is just very easy to play, but not easy to beat. Gambling points is clever too. For the money, this game has more to offer than many high-priced alternatives. Plus, you can play regular 3 ball games, or the 2 minute timed mode. I'm so impressed by this title I'm installing blades and a color DMD in it soon. This one may stay awhile.

#265 4 years ago

I am glad to see you like it. It was the first pin I ever bought and it's still with me after 10 years. I still haven't been able to successfully solve all five cases and catch the killers in each case.

Enjoy the game!

#266 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

So I picked up my Who Dunnit outside Chicago for a great price.

I think I was looking at the same pin for a long time. Just bought a another pin so I was hoping it might be on the market later this year. Congrats! I've never played it either but really feel in love with the theme and layout just watching it played on Youtube.

#267 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

So I picked up my Who Dunnit outside Chicago for a great price. So far we really like this game.

See post 21 in this thread for accessing the SECRET MANIA mode that Dwight Sullivan put in the game.
I love the game. It's always been a must-own keeper to me. I just wish it had a wizard mode after solving all five cases.

1 week later
#268 4 years ago

How are you guys dealing with center ramp cracking issues? What's the best way to handle that? Apparently replacements are out of the question from what I gather.

#269 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

How are you guys dealing with center ramp cracking issues? What's the best way to handle that? Apparently replacements are out of the question from what I gather.

The one i had on my machine had previously been repaired using some sort of resin epoxy, wasn't pretty but it was still holding together. Freeplay40 has mentioned in the past about possibly doing a run of these using a mold instead of how the originals were done, which was an injected molded piece. Not sure if he still plans to try doing that though, haven't seen anything mentioned about it for some time now.

#270 4 years ago

Has anyone installed a color DMD in there Who Dunnit? What is this small board attached to j604? (Pics below) The original power cord from the old DMD is plugged into it, then this board is plugged into j604. I assume we unplug and remove the board and the cord, but the color DMD instructions only mention the cord.

I did get the new DMD to work 90%. But I’m not getting any image when the slot machine is spinning. My color DMD simply shows 3 empty boxes, with no awards spinning inside each box. Even when the award is decided, it barely flashes for a split second and then is gone. In the video example posted on the color DMD website, it shows the slot awards properly inside the 3 blue boxes. Anyone see this before? I downloaded the software twice, and checked all cables. No luck.

6C23F20F-3389-46A7-9DAE-EC7F43CF3F4F (resized).jpeg6C23F20F-3389-46A7-9DAE-EC7F43CF3F4F (resized).jpegCF644DB9-6569-4E4B-AA1B-F2D626129060 (resized).jpegCF644DB9-6569-4E4B-AA1B-F2D626129060 (resized).jpeg
#271 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Has anyone installed a color DMD in there Who Dunnit? What is this small board attached to j604? (Pics below) The original power cord from the old DMD is plugged into it, then this board is plugged into j604. I assume we unplug and remove the board and the cord, but the color DMD instructions only mention the cord.
I did get the new DMD to work 90%. But I’m not getting any image when the slot machine is spinning. My color DMD simply shows 3 empty boxes, with no awards spinning inside each box. Even when the award is decided, it barely flashes for a split second and then is gone. In the video example posted on the color DMD website, it shows the slot awards properly inside the 3 blue boxes. Anyone see this before? I downloaded the software twice, and checked all cables. No luck.[quoted image][quoted image]

I have a color dmd installed and I have not seen what you are describing with the missing awards. Looking at my setup I don't have anything extra plugged in. I can send you some pics of what my connections looks like. PM me if you want me to take some pics.

#272 4 years ago

Agreed, whatever that small board is I didn't have it and you don't need to use that power supply anyway. No issues with my colour DMD but I did buy it specifically for W?D so it already had the software pre-loaded, plug and play.

#273 4 years ago

I agree with the other posters. I also have a Color DMD and don't have the board with the caps on it. I do have the proper images off the slots. I have the LCD version and I simply downloaded the latest software from the web. I put the Color DMD in back in July. Sorry you're having issues.

#274 4 years ago

I'm picking up my game on Saturday. Can't wait! Such a unique game...glad to add it to the collection.

#275 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I'm picking up my game on Saturday. Can't wait! Such a unique game...glad to add it to the collection.

Congrats! It's a great game!

#276 4 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I was able to determine that the extra board on my WD power board at J604 was probably a filter board that prevents the game from rebooting during gameplay. Marco still sells boards like these for Bally and other pins from the mid 90s. They offer one for Scared Stiff. I assume a prior owner may have experienced rebooting during play, and added that little board. That's my best guess based on what I found online.

I did get a new ROM emailed to me from Color DMD, and it works fine now. Something was wrong with the ROM I downloaded. I believe Color DMD is fixing it.

And then, I was back on the case.

I set my personal best score and closed 3 cases. 4.2 billion. Great game, simple yet so satisfying to play. Oh, and I discovered that you can really rack up points fast in the penthouse party mode! All shots are worth progressively more, but just keep shooting the elevator, much safer and points come fast and furious! Of course, you still need the key and to reach the top!

#277 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Thanks for the replies. I was able to determine that the extra board on my WD power board at J604 was probably a filter board that prevents the game from rebooting during gameplay. Marco still sells boards like these for Bally and other pins from the mid 90s. They offer one for Scared Stiff. I assume a prior owner may have experienced rebooting during play, and added that little board. That's my best guess based on what I found online.
I did get a new ROM emailed to me from Color DMD, and it works fine now. Something was wrong with the ROM I downloaded. I believe Color DMD is fixing it.
And then, I was back on the case.
I set my personal best score and closed 3 cases. 4.2 billion. Great game, simple yet so satisfying to play. Oh, and I discovered that you can really rack up points fast in the penthouse party mode! All shots are worth progressively more, but just keep shooting the elevator, much safer and points come fast and furious! Of course, you still need the key and to reach the top!

Good to hear it's fixed. One of the best
/worst parts of the game is betting on the roulette wheel for major points. I have lost billions on that bet.lol

#278 4 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Congrats! It's a great game!

Thx!

One thing I noticed as I do a little research about the game is that there doesn't appear to be much in terms of mods. What's everyone doing?

#279 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

One thing I noticed as I do a little research about the game is that there doesn't appear to be much in terms of mods. What's everyone doing?

I had my own self made topper, target decals and spinning roulette wheel, plus some bought mods like pop bumper Brite Caps, etc.

#280 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Congrats! I’ve had mine just 3 weeks. We have been very pleasantly surprised. It won’t make anyone forget TZ, but it’s a fun, simple game with some real strategy to scoring well. I love trying to work my way up the Pinside top 100 scores. If I can break into the top 10 or 20 scores on a game, it gives me something to shoot for. This game has a smooth attitude to it. Really captures the whole “down on his luck gumshoe” type detective theme. The music when you don’t get a high score is just fantastic. Piano banged out in a smoky, dimly-lit bar in some back alley in a rough part of town. It’s the same old story.

#281 4 years ago

Sold my game earlier in year.
I have a Who Dunnit Slot machine topper that would also look great on a pinball machine.
Pm me if you want it.
$75 shipped.
Thanks
Eric

20191112_114405 (resized).jpg20191112_114405 (resized).jpg20191112_114426 (resized).jpg20191112_114426 (resized).jpg
#282 4 years ago

I also still have this. OBO

Parts - For Sale
New (selling multiple, business) - “Roulette wheel=18 FREE SHIPPING”
2020-03-09
Anaheim, CA
Archived after: 83 days
Viewed: 766 times

#283 4 years ago

The only thing I'm a bit unhappy about is the amount of cracking on these ramps. I assume it's somewhat normal for this game but it bothers me. Just about every location with a screw has cracking..ugh!

#284 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

The only thing I'm a bit unhappy about is the amount of cracking on these ramps. I assume it's somewhat normal for this game but it bothers me. Just about every location with a screw has cracking..ugh!

I bet that’s common with plastic ramps and tight metal screws. Mine has minimal cracks around the screws, but adding washers and only tightening as much as necessary may help. I have one cracked plastic, but found a replacement for it.

#285 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I love trying to work my way up the Pinside top 100 scores. If I can break into the top 10 or 20 scores on a game, it gives me something to shoot

W?D? is great cuz it is a pretty forgiving player, but you still lose balls enough in the slings it isn't dull. once you learn the game, big big scores are within reach for most. Great game!

I've played it way to much at my local spots, my quick hot tips are to work the left orbit nudge slots... that basically can amount to free EBs and multiballs. Grab the revolver asap, and focus on getting balls up top via that left orbit to increase the Mb jackpot value, maxes out at 251 million. Be careful as during multiplayer the jackpot increases for everyone.

Penthouse party is an easy billion. Get every extra ball possible. Plunge for super skill, often if missed you wont validate playfield. If you're ballsy you can lock, drain, and get another shot at it with ball save. Bet that roulette, normal settings it is friendly, and even losing ups your bonus multiplier.

I think my PB is 20 billion ish, but we just got a new one on location, and I'm gonna make a run at a biiiiig score soon I hope!

#286 4 years ago
Quoted from wlf_:

W?D? is great cuz it is a pretty forgiving player, but you still lose balls enough in the slings it isn't dull. once you learn the game, big big scores are within reach for most. Great game!
I've played it way to much at my local spots, my quick hot tips are to work the left orbit nudge slots... that basically can amount to free EBs and multiballs. Grab the revolver asap, and focus on getting balls up top via that left orbit to increase the Mb jackpot value, maxes out at 251 million. Be careful as during multiplayer the jackpot increases for everyone.
Penthouse party is an easy billion. Get every extra ball possible. Plunge for super skill, often if missed you wont validate playfield. If you're ballsy you can lock, drain, and get another shot at it with ball save. Bet that roulette, normal settings it is friendly, and even losing ups your bonus multiplier.
I think my PB is 20 billion ish, but we just got a new one on location, and I'm gonna make a run at a biiiiig score soon I hope!

Great tips! I still don’t know where to locate the weapons or why they are important. I’m just scratching the surface. I think I have a 6B score now, good for like 39th or something. Long way to go. I will definitely try your ideas and try to learn the rules better! I will break into the top 20 someday.

2 weeks later
#287 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

So far I have......

Made the roulette wheel spin (at the moment on black as I only bet on black )

Train on the ramp
IMGP9598 (resized).JPGIMGP9598 (resized).JPG

taxi with headlights that light when TAXI is
IMGP9597 (resized).JPGIMGP9597 (resized).JPG

Original Bakelite phone with colour changing ? and clear cord to the handset that lights when the phone is ringing
IMGP9596 (resized).JPGIMGP9596 (resized).JPG

Currently under development, I have cut the receiver from the phone and put it on a pivot so it moves when the phone rings (with tiny shaker motors in the handset) but it still moves too fast, I will get there eventually

IMGP9599 (resized).JPGIMGP9599 (resized).JPG
#288 4 years ago

Broke into the top 20! (#20). Scored over 9 billion. Gambled 2.2b and won. Still don’t have a map or know the best ways to score. Just trying to stay alive and solve cases. I like the old-time taxi. Gonna add one I think.

1 week later
#289 4 years ago

I just snagged a NOS main ramp and I'd like to try and prevent any cracking around the screw holes on this one. Is there anything I can do to reinforce the material around those holes?

#290 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I just snagged a NOS main ramp and I'd like to try and prevent any cracking around the screw holes on this one. Is there anything I can do to reinforce the material around those holes?

Mylar strips, top and bottom, ad washers too.
Worked for me in past. Also, i have thin strips of blue steel used for ramp flaps. Cut into nice form shaped pieces and install top and bottom. Trick is to not over tighten, have just enough post to catch nut.

#291 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Mylar strips, top and bottom, ad washers too.
Worked for me in past. Also, i have thin strips of blue steel used for ramp flaps. Cut into nice form shaped pieces and install top and bottom. Trick is to not over tighten, have just enough post to catch nut.

Awesome, thanks! I'll definitely try the mylar and washer.

#292 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

That's quite a find!

#293 4 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

That's quite a find!

Tell me about it. It was a total fluke. I was going nuts trying to figure out how to fix the issues with my main ramp in particular and just stumbled upon an ad selling a WHO dunnit with an extra NOS ramp included. I managed to make a deal for the ramp separately. Right place at the right time.

1 month later
#294 4 years ago

Anyone knows how to fix the bounce back from the elevator ramp? When the ball is coming too fast, the flap doesn't close fast enough and the ball will bounce back down.

Previous owner had a rubber installed on the falp, but I found that ugly so I removed it. Is there a better fix?

#295 4 years ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

Anyone knows how to fix the bounce back from the elevator ramp? When the ball is coming too fast, the flap doesn't close fast enough and the ball will bounce back down.
Previous owner had a rubber installed on the falp, but I found that ugly so I removed it. Is there a better fix?

Crazy question. Whats your playfield pitch and do you have correct flipper coils installed? Just sounds like to much power.
I recently had to remove superbands from my flippers on Mousin Around. They were to bouncy/ strong for a correct feel.

#296 4 years ago

Sold my game earlier in year.
I have a Who Dunnit Slot machine topper that would also look great on a pinball machine.
Pm me if you want it.
$75 shipped.
Thanks
Eric[quoted image][quoted image]

Slot Backglass still available!
$75 was the Free Ship price if it sounds expensive. OBO.

#297 4 years ago

Crazy question. Whats your playfield pitch and do you have correct flipper coils installed? Just sounds like to much power.
I recently had to remove superbands from my flippers on Mousin Around. They were to bouncy/ strong for a correct feel.

I don't have superbands on flippers yet. Issue seems to be related to the 2 elevator posts bounce or the flap itself (Maybe a little oil). I was wondering if installing superbands on the posts would make them less bouncy. I thought superbands were absorbing speed compared to regular rubbers or Titans.

I'm at 6.5/6.7°.

#298 4 years ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

I was wondering if installing superbands on the posts would make them less bouncy.

The opposite will be the case. If you want them less bouncy, REMOVE the rubbers completely, but be sure the reinforce the posts with wahsers, because of the harder impact the posts will get.

1 week later
#299 4 years ago

Hello Who Dunnit Club...

I'm in Northern Calif (45 miles east of San Francisco). I'm looking for a Who Dunnit.

I have many titles I'd consider as trade (+/- cash what ever is fair).

Can drive up to ~400 miles each way.

Let me know.
Thank You!
Kerry

#300 4 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Hello Who Dunnit Club...
I'm in Northern Calif (45 miles east of San Francisco). I'm looking for a Who Dunnit.
I have many titles I'd consider as trade (+/- cash what ever is fair).
Can drive up to ~400 miles each way.
Let me know.
Thank You!
Kerry

Good luck with your search. Such a great game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
There are 1,122 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-dunnit-club-and-then-i-was-on-the-case/page/6?hl=konjurer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.