(Topic ID: 114575)

WHO dunnit Club - And then I was on the case...

By scylla

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,122 posts
  • 168 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by daakrolb
  • Topic is favorited by 84 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“WHO dunnit?”

• Tony 21 votes
    16%
  • Victoria 23 votes
    17%
  • Butler 31 votes
    23%
  • Bruno 15 votes
    11%
  • Trixie 45 votes
    33%

(135 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

27001d1c-e381-495f-86e7-f46eabaa2422 (resized).jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-29 um 12.48.35 (resized).png
lift ramps (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7876877_7 (resized).jpg
IMG_8253 (resized).JPG
IMG_8100 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240321_180545638 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180539723 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_171323528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180559595 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180552410 (resized).jpg
IMG_4133 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231223_225004619 (resized).jpg
IMG_4942 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4941 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4908 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 23.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

I'm part of the club! Picked mine up back in December. Cool game for sure!

IMG_3169.JPG

Love the led 's

2 months later
#52 8 years ago

Well, I join yalls club in a few days! Any recommendations for LED kits? Cointaker vs Pinball Bulbs?

The taxi mod looks great, I'll have to find a cool model. Has anyone hooked up a shaker to their pin? Any other must do mods?

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from TrevixClemson:

Has anyone hooked up a shaker to their pin?

Not quite but I am trying to get the phone handset to shake when it rings, its getting there and sounds ok with the glass on

don't seem to be able to post a video here so stuck it on photobucket

http://s1245.photobucket.com/user/tatty-adams/media/Pinballs/Whodunnit%20Phone/Phone_zpsj25u92nv.mp4.html

#54 8 years ago

Very cool phone mod!

4 months later
#55 8 years ago

I picked up this game on Friday and I have to say, what a really great game, nice suprise. A lot of cool shots, great interaction and just flat out fun to play. I had a bad switch, which I replaced and had to rebuild a gi connector, but it's in good shape overall, no pf wear. I have a crack in the left ramp at the inlane mount, the translite has a lot of touch ups and one cracked plastic. Where can I find a ramp and translite? They seem unobtanium or prohibitively expensive, at least for the translight...$160 shipped from Australia. I found the cracked plastic from Bay area for $7.

In the process of adding leds, the game was very dim with incandescents. How to you get to the lights insite the reel?

I cleaned the subway underneath, what a mess, and I'm going to flame polish the ramps without decals and shop the rest of it. It will clean up really nice.

Are head decals available? Head is banged up a bit with touch ups and scrapes.

20160417_195358_(resized).jpg20160417_195358_(resized).jpg

#56 8 years ago

Nice score, great game

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I have a crack in the left ramp at the inlane mount, the translite has a lot of touch ups and one cracked plastic. Where can I find a ramp and translite? They seem unobtanium or prohibitively expensive, at least for the translight...$160 shipped from Australia. I found the cracked plastic from Bay area for $7.
In the process of adding leds, the game was very dim with incandescents. How to you get to the lights insite the reel?

Ramp is always cracked there...just have to use washers. Unless PPS starts making them, you're not likely to find any ramps anywhere. There may be hope as PPS did make new slot reels & top window available.

The Reels are just lit with 1 44 bulb per reel. When you start LEDing...the equipment inserts are real small and you don't need a big honking bulb for them.

#58 8 years ago

And that center ramp is not flame polish-able. Different kind of plastic and you'll blister the shit out of it or make it look worse than it did originally. Just an FYI

Just finshed one of these at work. Man it needed a lot of TLC. I've gotten pretty good at rebuilding the slot reels. Like the 312 order of the reels as it's Chicago's zip code. Can cause majoe headaches if you don't read the manual. $45 for all 3 brand new motors and it ready to run for another 25 years.

#59 8 years ago

Thanks for the tip on the center ramp, I was going to flame it tonight. I'll give it a good cleaning instead.

The stepper mechanism seems to move, well, in steps. Assume it's designed that way? Rises halfway, then all the way.

Translite is $155 from Australia, how can it be they are the only ones that have it. Shipping is $30. I may break down and get it since mine is destroyed, but man that's expensive for a game in this price range.

#60 8 years ago

You mean the center targets that move up & down? Should be a straight shot moving up & down.

#61 8 years ago

Yes, seems to move half way up, I make a few shots up the ramp, then it goes all the way up,hit the targets a few times and then it drops all the way down.

Are there only supposed to be two positions, all the way up and all the way down? Thoughts on what the issue might be?

#62 8 years ago

Check the switches for it....it has 1 in the up and 1 in the down position. It should only being moving all the way up or down.
It starts in the up in a game...hit it to lower it etc.

#63 8 years ago

Ok, thx. Read somewhere an earlier version of the code caused some issues so I'll make sure I have the latest rom in the game.

#64 8 years ago

Fixed the 3-bank targets. Both motor and targets were loose, holes stripped for target bank so had to use thicker screws, tight now.

Started shopping it a bit took off center ramp, still pretty rough, but not a whole lot more I can do. Cleaned and flame polished the right ramp, came out nice. Right ramp has a decal all along it so can't do too much except clean ithe. Very easy game to work on.

20160418_211936_(resized).jpg20160418_211936_(resized).jpg

20160418_211918_(resized).jpg20160418_211918_(resized).jpg

20160418_211849_(resized).jpg20160418_211849_(resized).jpg

#65 8 years ago

looks nice. your center ramp tab is better than 75% that I've seen. I would think that center ramp would be a top repro candidate.

#66 7 years ago

Got my game all shopped out, plays great, lot of fun. Added a few led accent strips, purple along the back, white in the trough. I have a new translight coming in, this one is trashed.

Now I need to read the rules to figure out what ia going on.

20160424_210003_(resized).jpg20160424_210003_(resized).jpg

#67 7 years ago

Looks nice and bright, oh and butler dunnit!

#68 7 years ago

I notice the ball gate coming out of the shooter lane is busted. Can't seem to locate one, Marco says out of stock. Anyone have an extra? Part number is a-20431 for the assembly or 12-7297 for the wire part.

#69 7 years ago

I may have one as I parted a W?D a few years ago, I will have a check tomorrow.

#70 7 years ago

Mine is missing the Tonys Palace sighn that sits at the top of the ramps, I can't find it anywhere, any leads would be great.

#71 7 years ago

Hey Lermods, I haven't found the exact one yet but I have this one that is very similar it just isn't cranked at one end. I have offered it up to my W?D and I am pretty sure it will fit. If you want it PM me your address dude.

20160426_195245_(resized).jpg20160426_195245_(resized).jpg

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Got my game all shopped out and added a few led accent strips.

Looks like you've been on the case.

#74 7 years ago

Made some target decals...not good to have ocd and own pinball machines.

20160428_145742_(resized).jpg20160428_145742_(resized).jpg

20160428_145731_(resized).jpg20160428_145731_(resized).jpg

20160428_145726_(resized).jpg20160428_145726_(resized).jpg

20160428_145720_(resized).jpg20160428_145720_(resized).jpg

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Made some target decals...not good to have ocd and own pinball machines.

Target on the left's arrow should be pointing down!

#76 7 years ago

I was waiting for someone to say that, I didn't realize it til I saw the pics, too late, the decals don't come off so easy.

#77 7 years ago

Cool concept. You might be able to spin the target so it points down.

#78 7 years ago

what an under rated Game but don't tell any one. let it be our little secret.

#79 7 years ago

I'm getting a lot of airballs shooting the telephone? Is this common? Any adjustments to make? The plastic just under the telephone is slightly cracked, I assume from the air balls.

Thx

2 months later
#80 7 years ago

Recently out of nowhere the center elevator became very difficult for the ball to transverse. Most of the time it bangs it and rolls back down. Any ideas??

#81 7 years ago

check your wire gate for elevator and make sure its sitting on the correct side of stop

#82 7 years ago

Is the plastic cover over the slot reels flush? If it's not, you will get airballs and that will hinder the ball from going where it should. Check that the elevator is also flush. This is the reason there are always cracked plastics on the game.

To adjust is pretty simple, but you will need to remove the motor. Once the motor is out, there are adjustment screws for the plastic cover.

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from pintime:

check your wire gate for elevator and make sure its sitting on the correct side of stop

This is what i was thinking also. It's a simple gate that shouldn;t allow the ball to come down after it's gone through

1 week later
#84 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

This is what i was thinking also. It's a simple gate that shouldn;t allow the ball to come down after it's gone through

The plastic cover adjustment fixed it. Thanks guys!

1 week later
#85 7 years ago

New question: does the DMD speaker panel contain a removable clear plastic window over the DMD portion of the panel, or is the plastic on the outside just one piece? I'd love to put a new one in.

#86 7 years ago

Its all one piece.

2 months later
#87 7 years ago

I'm on the case. Awesome game that I've desired for some time. Hooray!

What a short thread we've got going here, though. I'll probably extend with some newbie tech questions... :]

Thanks,
-Jason

#88 7 years ago

shoot the phone!

3 weeks later
#89 7 years ago

Just joined the club! I'm loving mine. I understand the criticisms and agree with the praises. Great game for the casual player. Can't wait to get more leds in it!

#90 7 years ago

Game is a lot of fun, has a nice rule set and gimmicks as well as some very nice light shows. I just found the game to have too much stop and go.

#91 7 years ago

Stop and go = quick drink of beer

2 weeks later
#92 7 years ago

Between beers I led'ed the crap out of it! All Comet stuff. I took the advice and was liberal with the purples and pinks. Particularly pleased with the red and blue flashers, very crime scene, IMO...

#93 7 years ago

awesome looks good. now answer the phone!

#94 7 years ago

Thanks, I love it! Got my first Midnight Madness last night, fun surprise and new HS!

#95 7 years ago

Just read both pages, all two of them. Some great comments and ideas. I'll copy and steal ideas for sure. Love ours, gets a lot of attention and the wife does love it which is important when you have to many pins.
So Thursday we turn on pin for some games. Few played, game left on, I look over at it an hour later, no DMD??? Completely out,game works just no display. Before I dig in today. Any ideas gang? Thinking a fuse, and check ribbon cables first.
I also wanted to say I've had numerous pins, never had a DMD do this,just go black, first for me.

1 month later
#96 7 years ago

Joined the club in the past month, machine is in fairly decent condition cabinet wise, has been touched up in a few places but overall quite sound. The Playfield has some wear around some inserts but i've seen worse on other games and for the price i was really happy with it. The last 2 weeks i have added a new translite, new plastic's set and changed over to LED'S (some Comet purple passion under the corresponding coloured plastics and cool white for most everything else) Also bought a new sewer exit (which i highly polished) + decals as the old one had previously been repaired/welded BADLY. I've changed over the pop bumper caps to purple, fits in nicely with the main purple theme and added some Bendy white LED'S to highlight the Tony's Palace sign. Also added some Bendy Purple LED'S at the back (3 in the middle) and 2 whites (one either end) to brighten up/highlight the city scape on the backboard. Last but not least i've added a 57 Chev Taxi with modified LED headlights and also a flasher strip internally (flasher dome on that side is removed and strip plugs into the socket) I'm in the process of creating some decent target decals and also going to have the roulette wheel set up to spin (hence it missing in the pics) Also got planned to create a topper with a larger scale 57 Chev Police car with some sort of city backdrop and have working headlights/tail lights and cop light on the roof. More pics to come when i get these finalized. I'm really enjoying this machine, bloody surprised it's not more popular.

DSC02705 (resized).JPGDSC02705 (resized).JPG

DSC02706 (resized).JPGDSC02706 (resized).JPG

DSC02707 (resized).JPGDSC02707 (resized).JPG

DSC02727 (resized).JPGDSC02727 (resized).JPG

DSC02728 (resized).JPGDSC02728 (resized).JPG

DSC02729 (resized).JPGDSC02729 (resized).JPG

DSC02730 (resized).JPGDSC02730 (resized).JPG

#97 7 years ago

I have original roms in mine.What do people think about updated current roms?

#98 7 years ago

If anyone is looking for a reasonably priced score reel motor replacement these work really well. I replaced all 3 of my score reel motors with these and they work great. You will have to re-use the connector off the old motor or buy a new one. The wire pin-out is different, the old motor is red, yellow, empty, empty, brown, orange; and the new motor is yellow, blue, empty, empty, red, green.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9238

#99 7 years ago

To light up the rear of my W?D I put a black light in and then coloured all the windows in the buildings with a yellow highlighter pen so they all show up. It looks a lot more effective in real life

Backlight (resized).jpgBacklight (resized).jpg

#100 7 years ago

Had some spare time in the last week so i finished off adding the LED'S to the Chevy cop car, although i'm still looking for a decent city street / store front back drop to suit. I'm also planning on adding a road base to the plastic car support so might have to dust off my modelling skills. The headlights,tail lights and blue cop light on the roof are tied directly into the 12V line on the driver board at J118. There is 2 LED strips inside the car, a blue one on the front seat tied into the phone flasher and a red one on the back seat tied into the left hand back box flasher. I was originally going to attach the cop light to a blinking GI insert globe but these LED'S are far better off being 12V powered. I realise a 57 Chev car theme might seem a bit "young" for the film noir aspect of this pin but in my opinion the detective era could be based anywhere between the 20's through to the 80's (give or take 10 years either side) and the artwork is kinda ambiguous to the era it's perhaps intended for.

DSC02749 (resized).JPGDSC02749 (resized).JPG

DSC02750 (resized).JPGDSC02750 (resized).JPG

DSC02756 (resized).JPGDSC02756 (resized).JPG

DSC02757 (resized).JPGDSC02757 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.50
Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-dunnit-club-and-then-i-was-on-the-case/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.