(Topic ID: 114575)

WHO dunnit Club - And then I was on the case...

By scylla

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,120 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by Kobaja
  • Topic is favorited by 85 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“WHO dunnit?”

• Tony 21 votes
    16%
  • Victoria 23 votes
    17%
  • Butler 31 votes
    23%
  • Bruno 15 votes
    11%
  • Trixie 45 votes
    33%

(135 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-29 um 12.48.35 (resized).png
lift ramps (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7876877_7 (resized).jpg
IMG_8253 (resized).JPG
IMG_8100 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240321_180545638 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180539723 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_171323528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180559595 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180552410 (resized).jpg
IMG_4133 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231223_225004619 (resized).jpg
IMG_4942 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4941 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4906 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,120 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 23.
#901 1 year ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Well I’m back in the club and it’s an awesome restoration. Arrived here last week. Had a couple of issues but my tech had it sorted in about an hour. It’s slowly coming back to me what I have to do. Haven’t had one of these for about 10 years. Great fun game! Happy flipping all.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks great with all the chrome!

#902 1 year ago

Yeah I’ve always loved the chrome look. Tempted to take it further with a chrome coin door!

#903 1 year ago

That looks amazing!

#904 1 year ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Yeah I’ve always loved the chrome look. Tempted to take it further with a chrome coin door!

What a beauty! Be proud for that restoration!

#905 1 year ago
Quoted from Uffe88:

What a beauty! Be proud for that restoration!

It’s HEPs so yes I am.

#906 1 year ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Well I’m back in the club and it’s an awesome restoration. Arrived here last week. Had a couple of issues but my tech had it sorted in about an hour. It’s slowly coming back to me what I have to do. Haven’t had one of these for about 10 years. Great fun game! Happy flipping all.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great looking game!
Nice topper! Where is it from?

#907 1 year ago

Having some issues with my Who Dunnit. Any help is greatly appreciated!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-dunnit-switch-help

#908 1 year ago
Quoted from Watkinsd13:

That looks great with all

Great looking game!
Nice topper! Where is it from?

Topper was from laserrific now owned by Cointaker.

https://laseriffic.com/collections/pinball-toppers/products/who-dunnit

2 weeks later
#909 1 year ago

Aww man, I moved my who dunnit from my shop to my home basement. After setting it back up it seems to play fine but all of the GI is out. I see its on 2 fuses and they both look good. After looking through the boards I noticed this plug (circled in pink) is not plugged in but it doesnt seem to have anything to do with the GI. Any thought or suggestions? Anyone know what that plug is to? Thanks!

who dunnit boards (resized).jpgwho dunnit boards (resized).jpg
#910 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Aww man, I moved my who dunnit from my shop to my home basement. After setting it back up it seems to play fine but all of the GI is out. I see its on 2 fuses and they both look good. After looking through the boards I noticed this plug (circled in pink) is not plugged in but it doesnt seem to have anything to do with the GI. Any thought or suggestions? Anyone know what that plug is to? Thanks!
[quoted image]

My suggestion is to follow the plug pretty sure that is your dmd power, I guess you have a color dmd plugged in so thats not needed?

I see one other plug pulled at the bottom of the screen, where does that lead?

If all of the GI at once I definitely suspect plug out or fuse - check and double check those. Just because a fuse looks okay doesnt mean it isnt blown

#911 1 year ago

Thanks yes I do have a color dmd and thought that was the lower one hanging there. With both legs of the GI out I would be surprised if its fuses. Everything worked before the move and I did check the 2 fuses but I will check that plug and fuses again. Thanks!

#912 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

[quoted image]

Your problem is most-likely J120 with that okie-joe fix to the left side of it (where the red arrow is pointing) and the obviously burned header block.

The header block needs to be replaced and the wires need to be moved to a brand new connector to really fix the problem. You should be able to get everything you need (assuming you already have a soldering iron) from Ed at Great Plains Electronics. But if you fiddle with what's there and scrape the header pins you might be able to get enough continuity to get it going again.

burned_J120 (resized).jpgburned_J120 (resized).jpg

#913 1 year ago

Thanks Pinmonk. First thing after work I'll be fiddling!

#914 1 year ago

Okie-joe…….

1 week later
#915 1 year ago

Hi club!

Do you know if its possible to make it harder to get Extra ball, when the ball is bouncing between the bumpers and triggers/change the slots?

#916 1 year ago

Just set the maximum amount of extra balls per game to say 2 that way any that are won after that are awarded as points, l think

1 week later
#917 1 year ago

Had a good game. Set a new grand champ score after ten years of ownership

F6F6BF54-E679-4020-8FA6-8E4F71EC616C (resized).jpegF6F6BF54-E679-4020-8FA6-8E4F71EC616C (resized).jpeg
#918 1 year ago

That is a good score! I think 18b was my best but I put a remote battery on so lost them

#919 1 year ago

Man, I wish I still owed this machine. My first pin I ever bought, a million years ago. Simple, but very fun.

#920 1 year ago

Hi, just picked one of these up. Does anyone have a pdf with printable apron cards that they really like? Thanks

#921 1 year ago
Quoted from TZBen:

Had a good game. Set a new grand champ score after ten years of ownership
[quoted image]

Not bad.

#922 1 year ago

Just found a bunch of NOS/Used Who Dunnit plastics. Perfer to sell them as a lot. $125 for all. Several doubles, etc.

567DBCA0-8340-44B5-88E2-8E48A457495F (resized).jpeg567DBCA0-8340-44B5-88E2-8E48A457495F (resized).jpegC8CE2A37-B44E-4FC5-978C-D06F516B40E5 (resized).jpegC8CE2A37-B44E-4FC5-978C-D06F516B40E5 (resized).jpeg
#923 1 year ago

Any more talk about the big ramp being made?

#924 1 year ago

Does anyone reels sometimes spin backwards? Every once in a while my middle and right will. I was wondering if they are supposed to.

I also do always match the dmd so thinking maybe they are not and it’s causing the mismatch

#925 1 year ago
Quoted from DanTheMan:

Any more talk about the big ramp being made?

I asked and Larry at Starship Fantasy confirmed the big ramp is still being made this year.

#926 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I asked and Larry at Starship Fantasy confirmed the big ramp is still being made this year.

Great news!! Then my Who Dunnit will be pretty much 100%

Thanks to Larry & others that make this stuff so we can enjoy our fun hobbies even more.

#927 1 year ago

Can anyone please assist with a part number for the ramp switches (up/down elevator switches?) My manual calls out the ramp assembly but doesn't have the picture/part listing for it. I'm assuming a few different standard switches could sub in but I always like to get the original recommended part number when possible. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

#928 1 year ago

How do I remove the “mystery slots” plastic/decal from the reels window? It looks like there’s dust/dirt between the window. Is it spot glued in place?
Is the mystery slots decal/plastic available?
Thanks,Hal

#929 1 year ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

Does anyone reels sometimes spin backwards? Every once in a while my middle and right will. I was wondering if they are supposed to.
I also do always match the dmd so thinking maybe they are not and it’s causing the mismatch

It's a problem that has been seen... they should not spin backwards. It's usually to do with connectors/wiring at the reels. Disconnect them, give them a clean, push the wires in tight on the connectors and see how you go.

#930 1 year ago
Quoted from JustAnotherRat:

It's a problem that has been seen... they should not spin backwards. It's usually to do with connectors/wiring at the reels. Disconnect them, give them a clean, push the wires in tight on the connectors and see how you go.

Looks like it’s the connector to the motor that was the issue. I redid the connector and they seem to be working. I played a full game with no issue and it matched the dmd everytime

#931 1 year ago
Quoted from gipinball:

How do I remove the “mystery slots” plastic/decal from the reels window? It looks like there’s dust/dirt between the window. Is it spot glued in place?
Is the mystery slots decal/plastic available?
Thanks,Hal

I popped the whole assembly out which isn't bad at all to do. Then had it off from that point.

1 week later
#932 1 year ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

Looks like it’s the connector to the motor that was the issue. I redid the connector and they seem to be working. I played a full game with no issue and it matched the dmd everytime

Glad it worked.

#933 1 year ago

Anyone have a extra translight?

#934 1 year ago

Here’s the noob questions. The connector at J112 is brown and black burnt. I need to replace that connector. What is that called? What else do I need to replace it? The little pins and crimper?

What would cause that?

Thanks in advance.

#935 1 year ago
Quoted from DanTheMan:

Here’s the noob questions. The connector at J112 is brown and black burnt. I need to replace that connector. What is that called? What else do I need to replace it? The little pins and crimper?
What would cause that?
Thanks in advance.

Are you going off the schematic? There's a misprint on the board that has J121 (bottom of board) labeled J112. The real J112 is at the top of the board. If it's actually J121 (J122 is to the right and J120 is above it), it's totally understandable as that's the GI circuit connector and those notoriously oxidize and then burn over the years because it's just got too much power draw going through it for too long.

To fix these you need a trifurcon (square pin) connector header, trifurcon pins, and a trifurcon housing. Ed at Great Plains Electronics should have what you need:

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/categories.asp?cat=215

Be sure to replace the header panel AND the connector that plugs onto it. If you only do the connector, you'll have problems again pretty quickly because the oxidation increases the power draw, which increases the oxidation, feedback loop until failure.

#936 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Are you going off the schematic? There's a misprint on the board that has J121 (bottom of board) labeled J112. The real J112 is at the top of the board. If it's actually J121 (J122 is to the right and J120 is above it), it's totally understandable as that's the GI circuit connector and those notoriously oxidize and then burn over the years because it's just got too much power draw going through it for too long.
To fix these you need a trifurcon (square pin) connector header, trifurcon pins, and a trifurcon housing. Ed at Great Plains Electronics should have what you need:
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/categories.asp?cat=215
Be sure to replace the header panel AND the connector that plugs onto it. If you only do the connector, you'll have problems again pretty quickly because the oxidation increases the power draw, which increases the oxidation, feedback loop until failure.

Thanks PinMonk. I remember a PinDude video of him replacing heads and connector. What size are those connectors?

#937 1 year ago
Quoted from DanTheMan:

Thanks PinMonk. I remember a PinDude video of him replacing heads and connector. What size are those connectors?

Pretty sure they're .156, but email Ed at great plains electronics and he can set you up with the pins, headers, housings and a crimper to do the job correctly. Super helpful guy.

1 week later
#938 1 year ago

I am a proud new owner of a beautiful WhoDunnit. I've always wanted one for sentimental reasons I won't get into.
Anyway....Everything is great except one strange problem...randomly I get "BONG BONG BONG!! High voltage disabled while coin door is open!! BONG BONG BONG!" I've checked the metal plate that holds the rods in place I've held them in manually...does nothing. It's very random. Sometimes all night I won't get it then the next night without opening the door or touching anything BONG BONG BONG over and over and over. Any suggestions??
Also and this may be a dumb question but as a result of the batteries being replaced with "nvram"(?) it's just never going to keep time properly? Midnight madness just goes off sorta whenever but I can live with that - but still sorta annoying.

#939 1 year ago
Quoted from KokoNono:

I am a proud new owner of a beautiful WhoDunnit. I've always wanted one for sentimental reasons I won't get into.
Anyway....Everything is great except one strange problem...randomly I get "BONG BONG BONG!! High voltage disabled while coin door is open!! BONG BONG BONG!" I've checked the metal plate that holds the rods in place I've held them in manually...does nothing. It's very random. Sometimes all night I won't get it then the next night without opening the door or touching anything BONG BONG BONG over and over and over. Any suggestions??
Also and this may be a dumb question but as a result of the batteries being replaced with "nvram"(?) it's just never going to keep time properly? Midnight madness just goes off sorta whenever but I can live with that - but still sorta annoying.

take a high res picture of the CPU board around where the batteries were (or the holder still is). May be a bad cutoff switch, but sounds like residual battery damage. When you post the pic, change the dropdown to PDF/GIF (no rescaling) BEFORE dragging and dropping the pic so pinside takes it at full resolution and doesn't resize it.

#940 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

take a high res picture of the CPU board around where the batteries were (or the holder still is). May be a bad cutoff switch, but sounds like residual battery damage. When you post the pic, change the dropdown to PDF/GIF (no rescaling) BEFORE dragging and dropping the pic so pinside takes it at full resolution and doesn't resize it.

So the non-stock board dated 2017. Color DMD is on the way which you said privately doesn't play well with this and has me worried to maybe abandon that idea? Any way around that also? And midnight madness/real-time clock is just not a thing when using ram instead of a battery? thanks

PXL_20220819_020653836 (resized).jpgPXL_20220819_020653836 (resized).jpg
#941 1 year ago
Quoted from KokoNono:

So the non-stock board dated 2017. Color DMD is on the way which you said privately doesn't play well with this and has me worried to maybe abandon that idea? Any way around that also? And midnight madness/real-time clock is just not a thing when using ram instead of a battery? thanks[quoted image]

You probably had a machine with bad battery corrosion in the past and that's why the original CPU board was tossed (not recommended) and replaced with a Rottendog board. Looking at the picture it looks like the connectors at the bottom of the board (that are original) may have had corrosion damage on them that wasn't cleaned up, which would cause switch problems.

Can you take a closeup hi-res picture of those connectors at the bottom of the CPU board (and inspect them yourself for dullness/corrosion on the connectors inside the brackets)?

ColorDMD is fine AS LONG as the 12v circuit on the machine is healthy and not on the edge. If the 12v is weak, a rottendog CPU board and ColorDMD together have been known to pull a weak 12v over the edge and cause issues. So I'd definitely get this first issue resolved before installing the ColorDMD.

Also, do you have a digital multimeter?

#942 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You probably had a machine with bad battery corrosion in the past and that's why it was tossed (not recommended) and replaced with a Rottendog board. Looking at the picture it looks like the connectors at the bottom of the board (that are original) may have had corrosion damage on them that wasn't cleaned up, which would cause switch problems.
Can you take a closeup hi-res picture of those connectors at the bottom of the CPU board (and inspect them yourself for dullness/corrosion on the connectors inside the brackets)?
ColorDMD is fine AS LONG as the 12v circuit on the machine is healthy and not on the edge. If the 12v is weak, a rottendog CPU board and ColorDMD together have been known to pull a weak 12v over the edge and cause issues. So I'd definitely get this first issue resolved before installing the ColorDMD.
Also, do you have a digital multimeter?

Just ordered a multimeter. Will post detailed pics tomrw of those connectors at the bottom of the board and hold off on the color dmd install for now. so glad I looked into this before moving ahead w it. thank you.
The machine doesn't seem to change at all when the alarm goes off or disable any functions. It's always when it's idle/attract mode and just very random. It can go all night one night not doing anything like 2 nights ago, but last night just kept going off over and over when a game wasn't being played. As soon as a game starts it still plays just fine, slot reels and all.
I didn't open the coin door at all in between so idk what the variable was.

#943 1 year ago
Quoted from KokoNono:

Just ordered a multimeter. Will post detailed pics tomrw of those connectors at the bottom of the board and hold off on the color dmd install for now. so glad I looked into this before moving ahead w it. thank you.
The machine doesn't seem to change at all when the alarm goes off or disable any functions. It's always when it's idle/attract mode and just very random. It can go all night one night not doing anything like 2 nights ago, but last night just kept going off over and over when a game wasn't being played. As soon as a game starts it still plays just fine, slot reels and all.
I didn't open the coin door at all in between so idk what the variable was.

Sounds like maybe those connectors may have been corroded from the old board and not replaced when the new board was put in, so corrosion inside the connectors and/or up the wires they connect to are causing intermittent breaks in the connection.

I'll look for the pics when you post them.

#944 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Sounds like maybe those connectors may have been corroded from the old board and not replaced when the new board was put in, so corrosion inside the connectors and/or up the wires they connect to are causing intermittent breaks in the connection.
I'll look for the pics when you post them.

Well since my last post now it's doing it in-game so that's a first and making it unplayable so I shut it down and I'll post some pics tomorrow. Should I unplug those connectors or anything since it seems to be getting worse?

#945 1 year ago
Quoted from KokoNono:

Well since my last post now it's doing it in-game so that's a first and making it unplayable so I shut it down and I'll post some pics tomorrow. Should I unplug those connectors or anything since it seems to be getting worse?

Not going to help much. You can actually slide them on and off a few times to see if you can rub the corrosion off (if that's the problem) and it may get it working better for a little bit IF the corrosion hasn't already gotten into the wires they're attached to.

#946 1 year ago

Prototype whodunnit need help;
The game has ver 1.2 and the ball diverted on the “prototype ramp doesn’t work,show up?
Do I need to be running prototype roms?
Thanks, Hal

#947 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Not going to help much. You can actually slide them on and off a few times to see if you can rub the corrosion off (if that's the problem) and it may get it working better for a little bit IF the corrosion hasn't already gotten into the wires they're attached to.

Let me know if this will suffice...

PXL_20220820_173641049 (resized).jpgPXL_20220820_173641049 (resized).jpgPXL_20220820_173725388 (resized).jpgPXL_20220820_173725388 (resized).jpgPXL_20220820_173758829 (resized).jpgPXL_20220820_173758829 (resized).jpgPXL_20220820_173815455 (resized).jpgPXL_20220820_173815455 (resized).jpg
#948 1 year ago
Quoted from KokoNono:

Let me know if this will suffice...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It's hard to tell with the flash, but the connectors in the brackets look discolored to me. All of them would have been in the line of fire of a leaking battery from the old board. Basically just look for any hint of crud in the metal connectors These are the two connectors to look closely at - the left one is the column drive for the switch matrix (coin door closed switch is wire 2), the right one is the row (coin door closed is wire 2). Where they intersect on the matrix is the switch in question.

These are press-fit connectors. The wires are just squeezed between two metal blades that cut the insulation when they're made. On top of the connectors, that thing is a cap. Try popping that off and looking at the area where the wires make contact with the two metal blades of the connector, too.

Also, when it happens, does it come on, then go away immediately, or does it stay on for a while?
whodunnit-cpu-board (resized).jpgwhodunnit-cpu-board (resized).jpg

#949 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Also, when it happens, does it come on, then go away immediately, or does it stay on for a while?
[quoted image]

It's very unpredictable. Sometimes all night it's fine, sometimes one and done, sometimes goes off and just wont stop over and over. Last night was the first time it did it during an actual game (game still played but the DMD just kept showing the message). Before if it went off you could start a game and the warning at least had the courtesy to stop altogether during play. Maybe that was just a lucky coincidence though. I will check as you described when I can...thanks again!!

#950 1 year ago

Hello alexanr1,
can you pls share your video of crafting the spinning roulette wheel mod again?
I'm now the owner of an W?D and want to install this cool mod.
Unfortunately, your link provided in the course of this chat doesn't works.

Best from Germany
Robert

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
There are 1,120 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-dunnit-club-and-then-i-was-on-the-case/page/19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.