(Topic ID: 114575)

WHO dunnit Club - And then I was on the case...

By scylla

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,119 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Kobaja
  • Topic is favorited by 85 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“WHO dunnit?”

• Tony 21 votes
    16%
  • Victoria 23 votes
    17%
  • Butler 31 votes
    23%
  • Bruno 15 votes
    11%
  • Trixie 45 votes
    33%

(135 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lift ramps (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7876877_7 (resized).jpg
IMG_8253 (resized).JPG
IMG_8100 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240321_180545638 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180539723 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_171323528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180559595 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180552410 (resized).jpg
IMG_4133 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231223_225004619 (resized).jpg
IMG_4942 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4941 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4906 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4935 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,119 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 23.
#651 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

Slot reel issues.
Had one reel not being in sync with display.
Took it off and did a motor test. All 3 wheels spins in test mode and left and middle keeps on spinning till I press stop. The right, issue one, stops automatically after 5 seconds...
I unmounted motor and checked for dirt, nothing there all clean.
I changed the power cable (4 pins plug with also 2 blue cables) from left to right wheel. Now it's the left wheel that stops after 5 second !!
Something must cut off power to this plug after 5 sec....??
Thx for suggestions...

It stops if the opto isn't triggered for a certain length of time. So you either have a dirty opto, a bad opto, or the wheel has gotten warped and the gap that triggers the opto is now too far away to trigger it. In test mode is that wheel triggering the opto on each revolution (it makes a sound and shows on screen when it's triggered in the test). It's very fussy about the alignment of the wheels, so if it's even a little too high relative to the opto channel, it may not trigger.

If you're saying you changed the opto board attached to each wheel and the problem moved, then the board may have a bad component on it.

#652 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

Slot reel issues.
Had one reel not being in sync with display.
Took it off and did a motor test. All 3 wheels spins in test mode and left and middle keeps on spinning till I press stop. The right, issue one, stops automatically after 5 seconds...
I unmounted motor and checked for dirt, nothing there all clean.
I changed the power cable (4 pins plug with also 2 blue cables) from left to right wheel. Now it's the left wheel that stops after 5 second !!
Something must cut off power to this plug after 5 sec....??
Thx for suggestions...

Not sure if this video helps.

#653 2 years ago

The clear plastic ramp w/decal/clear plastic is now on the site to sign up to be notified when available. I expect the retail to be $139.00 but that will depend on it's landed cost. If you sign up on the page (I'm Interested) - when they are in you will get an email notification and then you can purchase (so long as they are not sold out). We expect them first 1-2 weeks in Dec, and the small quantity that we had has found homes, but more are on the way!

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-03-9411-SET

Team PPS

03-9411-SET (resized).jpg03-9411-SET (resized).jpg
#654 2 years ago

#655 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It stops if the opto isn't triggered for a certain length of time. So you either have a dirty opto, a bad opto, or the wheel has gotten warped and the gap that triggers the opto is now too far away to trigger it. In test mode is that wheel triggering the opto on each revolution (it makes a sound and shows on screen when it's triggered in the test). It's very fussy about the alignment of the wheels, so if it's even a little too high relative to the opto channel, it may not trigger.
If you're saying you changed the opto board attached to each wheel and the problem moved, then the board may have a bad component on it.

I didn't change the optoboards but swapped 2 PCB's with the LM339 on.
In test mode the optos react correctly on all reels also the on the one that stops after 5 sec. It gives on open/close in that 5 sec.

#656 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

I didn't change the optoboards but swapped 2 PCB's with the LM339 on.
In test mode the optos react correctly on all reels also the on the one that stops after 5 sec. It gives on open/close in that 5 sec.

So when you swap the pcb, the reel that would not stop starts working again? If so, then it sounds like you have a board with a bad LM339 or some other component. It's a pretty simple board, so it shouldn't be that hard to figure out. If your LM339 is not currently socketed, be sure to socket it to make future replacement much easier.

#657 2 years ago

Who Dunnit ramps 03-9411 are in and will start shipping tomorrow Weds:

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-03-9411-SET&Store_Code=PP

If we run out we expect more in December.

Team PPS

#658 2 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-03-9411-SET&Store_Code=PP
Team PPS

Just curious if people buy a ramp like this in preparation of there's breaking & you'll have a new 1 for backup & this ramp maybe not be being produced down the road?

Also... does it break very often in home use? Thanks

#659 2 years ago

Hoping someone here can help. When playing there are times when the slots, train, or sewer are triggered when the ball in on the playfield and not in these specific areas. I thought it had something to do with the 3 bank target but now I am not so sure. Anyone else have this happen? What should I be looking at? I don't have a lot of experience fixing my machine but am trying to learn as I can't seem to find a pinball technician. Thanks

#660 2 years ago
Quoted from micmse:

Hoping someone here can help. When playing there are times when the slots, train, or sewer are triggered when the ball in on the playfield and not in these specific areas. I thought it had something to do with the 3 bank target but now I am not so sure. Anyone else have this happen? What should I be looking at? I don't have a lot of experience fixing my machine but am trying to learn as I can't seem to find a pinball technician. Thanks

Glass off.
Go into system menu.
Go to switch test.
Test a few switches on the playfield to make sure you're in the right place (switch will show on screen when triggered)
Then smack the playfield firmly with your open hand a few places around and see if the vibration will trigger a switch. If it does, adjust that switch until vibration won't trigger it.

If the affected switches are optos, this will not be the diagnostic.

#661 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

So when you swap the pcb, the reel that would not stop starts working again? If so, then it sounds like you have a board with a bad LM339 or some other component. It's a pretty simple board, so it shouldn't be that hard to figure out. If your LM339 is not currently socketed, be sure to socket it to make future replacement much easier.

The issue was not the reel would not stop but always stops after 5 seconds.
When i moved the board of the (5 sec stopping reel) to another reel this one doesn't stop after 5 sec... so this PCB and LM339 must be ok, I suppose ?

#662 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

The issue was not the reel would not stop but always stops after 5 seconds.
When i moved the board of the (5 sec stopping reel) to another reel this one doesn't stop after 5 sec... so this PCB and LM339 must be ok, I suppose ?

Did you physically open the motor that stops and clean it? Magnetic dust clogs them over time.

Cleaning how-to here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-dunnit-slot-reel-motor-cleaning#post-6438055

#663 2 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Team PPS

You're still not planning on running the other big ramp for WhoDunnit? Earlier you suggested emailing [email protected] to see if he was making it.

#664 2 years ago

we don't run thermoform ramps, what we do make/run are tooled injection ramps when we cannot find or otherwise get access to the WMS tool.

#665 2 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

we don't run thermoform ramps, what we do make are tooled ramps when we cannot find or otherwise get access to the WMS tool.

So anyone looking for the other big ramp should email Larry at starship fantasy, then?

#666 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

So anyone looking for the other big ramp should email Larry at starship fantasy, then?

There are several companies making ramps - Starship Fantasy primarily makes ramps from original WMS tooling, there are others that make ramps as well.

#667 2 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

There are several companies making ramps - Starship Fantasy primarily makes ramps from original WMS tooling, there are others that make ramps as well.

Are there some others you recommend we hound to get the other big ramp?

#668 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Did you physically open the motor that stops and clean it? Magnetic dust clogs them over time.
Cleaning how-to here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-dunnit-slot-reel-motor-cleaning#post-6438055

I opened the motor, in fact 2 as a second one is doing strange things as well. Cleaned it but looked quite ok as is.

Unmounted everything and have now one motor which stops after a couple of seconds and another that just vibrates but doesn't turn anymore... Getting crazy !!

The vibrating one I can't turn manually, kind of blocked...

#669 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

I opened the motor, in fact 2 as a second one is doing strange things as well. Cleaned it but looked quite ok as is.
Unmounted everything and have now one motor which stops after a couple of seconds and another that just vibrates but doesn't turn anymore... Getting crazy !!
The vibrating one I can't turn manually, kind of blocked...

Did you lose the wavy spring that has to go in the bottom of the motor enclosure? It's very easy to lose it.

#670 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Did you lose the wavy spring that has to go in the bottom of the motor enclosure? It's very easy to lose it.

you mean the black ring ? Is it normal it's kind of bended ?

IMG_6423 (resized).jpgIMG_6423 (resized).jpg
#671 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

you mean the black ring ? Is it normal it's kind of bended ?[quoted image]

Yes. It's springloaded, so that's why it seems bended or wavy. It has to be on the bottom for the shaft to sit right.

With the shaft out, inspect the little wound coils all the way around the inside of the motor and make sure none are damaged and extending out too far that would prevent the shaft from turning when re-installed.

When you press the shaft into the casing, it should "click" (that you feel, not hear) a little at the very end as it settles in. Then without putting the cover on, can you manually turn it? It should have some resistance and feel kind of rough, but it should be turn-able with your hand (you also should grind a flat spot on the shaft so it holds the reel set screw better).

#672 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yes. It's springloaded, so that's why it seems bended or wavy. It has to be on the bottom for the shaft to sit right.
With the shaft out, inspect the little wound coils all the way around the inside of the motor and make sure none are damaged and extending out too far that would prevent the shaft from turning when re-installed.
When you press the shaft into the casing, it should "click" (that you feel, not hear) a little at the very end as it settles in. Then without putting the cover on, can you manually turn it? It should have some resistance and feel kind of rough, but it should be turn-able with your hand (you also should grind a flat spot on the shaft so it holds the reel set screw better).

Are there any spots that you'd use lubricant ?

#673 2 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Are there any spots that you'd use lubricant ?

nope, can't see anything....

These are pictures of the one which I can't even turn manually... (the unmounted one from previous post pushed back in)

Don't understand why it doesn't turn....

IMG_6424 (resized).jpgIMG_6424 (resized).jpgIMG_6425 (resized).jpgIMG_6425 (resized).jpg

#674 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

These are pictures of the one which I can't even turn manually... (the unmounted one from previous post pushed back in)
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah, I don't seen anything that obviously jumps out at me as making it not turn. The wavy spring is sitting in the space for it at the bottom?

Also, no lubricant for the motor.

#675 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

[quoted image][quoted image]

I had the same issue, after cleaning it wouldn't spin freely until I completely re installed. The wavy spring needs to be fully compressed for the motor to spin freely. Do NOT lubricate.

#676 2 years ago

ordered 2 new motors.... hope these will fix my reel issues. 6 months trial and error was fun but time to move on...

Does anyone know if there are sound roms available in French ?
L1.2 supports french in the menu and I saw there are french Pin2Dmd files but can't find the rom...
anyone info ?

#677 2 years ago

All,

Did a topside tear down for cleaning... when putting the game back I noticed the elevator ramp is just lifted (maybe 1/8 or 1/4 inch off the playfield). Is that ramp supposed to be completely flush (I assume so). I've tried to replace multiple times but it doesn't seem to sit flush. Any thoughts?

#678 2 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

All,
Did a topside tear down for cleaning... when putting the game back I noticed the elevator ramp is just lifted (maybe 1/8 or 1/4 inch off the playfield). Is that ramp supposed to be completely flush (I assume so). I've tried to replace multiple times but it doesn't seem to sit flush. Any thoughts?

I don't remember clearly, but isn't there a groove in the playfield that the ramp sits in at the bottom? Maybe it's not fully settled in that and it's causing the gap?

#679 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't remember clearly, but isn't there a groove in the playfield that the ramp sits in at the bottom? Maybe it's not fully settled in that and it's causing the gap?

The groove actually does not seem to do much of anything based on where the ramp placement is. If anyone can take a quick peek at their game and let me know if the ramp is supposed to sit perfectly flush that would be helpful. My pictures didn't capture this... not something I would have thought to photograph.

#680 2 years ago

The groove actually does not seem to do much of anything based on where the ramp placement is. If anyone can take a quick peek at their game and let me know if the ramp is supposed to sit perfectly flush that would be helpful. My pictures didn't capture this... not something I would have thought to photograph.

I looked through the pics I have and I didn't take a picture of that area, so hopefully someone else can take it for your reference.

#681 2 years ago

Mine is flush with playfield,front of ramp is in recessed area allowing it to be level with playfield

#683 2 years ago

Thank you guys... so completely flush huh? No bump at all? [looks that way in the photo]

#684 2 years ago

Side view from cad drawings. Hard to find a good image;

ElevatorRamp.jpgElevatorRamp.jpg
#685 2 years ago

Part of me wonders if mine has always been slightly curved wrong in which case I’m not sure how to correct the way in which the ramp is “curled”.

I wonder if bending the brackets on the back that get screwed onto the playfield posts might adjust the angle down slightly to reduce the lip.

#686 2 years ago

I wonder if bending the brackets on the back that get screwed onto the playfield posts might adjust the angle down slightly to reduce the lip.

first check if the right posts are there. if they are too small, that would explain it

#687 2 years ago

Could anybody come up an idea on who might make the other ramps? I got this beautiful new center with slightly cracked ramps left and right.

#688 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Cleaning how-to here:

Thanks very much for posting this. It helped immensely in addition to my friend & genius pinball go to Grumpy!

#689 2 years ago

Back with my reel issue. Bought 2 new motors and new reel as one was a bit bended.

Left and right reels are spinning ok en opto reacts as it should be. Right one nothing !!!! even the lamp in the reel is not on

So I swapped the 2 cables from the center reel (working one) with the right reel (not working) PCB.
Light came on, and center reel started spinning for a couple of seconds and stopped (the reason why i bought a new motor)
Right one : no reaction...

Did same exercise with left and right reels, same story. The right one still NO spinning and the left one spins for a couple of seconds.

On the connector of the reel doing nothing I have 12.65V coming in. LEDs of all 3 PCBs are on.

Now I am really out of ideas....

The PCB from the right one engages spinning on 2 of the 3 reels but just for a couple of seconds.
On the new one (reel and motor) nothing happens.

HELP !!!!!

#690 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

Back with my reel issue....
HELP !!!!!

I would suggest socketing and/or replacing the LM339 chips on those reel boards. For me, this was the solution to my random reel issues.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/LM339N

#691 2 years ago
Quoted from toastbot:

I would suggest socketing and/or replacing the LM339 chips on those reel boards. For me, this was the solution to my random reel issues.

Just replaced the one on the issue reel pcb 30 min ago.
Already swapped it 3 months ago, no effect at that time and now...
Suppose the other ones will not affect the functionality of this one ? Swapped one as well, other is not on a socket.

Damn it's complicated ! Thought my Shadow was a complicated pin to fix with the mini playfield but this is 10x worse...

#692 2 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

first check if the right posts are there. if they are too small, that would explain it

Now that we are at the weekend I can turn back to this. I do note that in this cleaning I did something I don't normally do... which is that I took all the posts in this area out and didn't realize until afterword that they were different sizes (at least as far as the top screw on nut was concerned). I was just looking in the manual to see the different posts and it wasn't obvious which ones I had to choose from for this task but I'm thinking this may be my problem. If I got even one of the posts incorrect I could see how it would cause this issue.

If anyone knows what posts should be the ones I use for the 4 spots this ramp mounts to please let me know. Otherwise I'll just take them all out again and measure carefully what I'm using versus what my other options are!

I'm frustrated at myself because I normally don't assume parts are interchangeable.

#693 2 years ago
Quoted from toastbot:

Got all 3 reels spinning again !
But.... one turns in the opposite direction??? in sync
2 are not in sync.
Mounted as it should 3-1-2

#694 2 years ago

Following up on the large ramp for WhoDunnit - Larry from Starship Fantasy has confirmed that he will be running that ramp in mid-late 2022.

#695 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Following up on the large ramp for WhoDunnit - Larry from Starship Fantasy has confirmed that he will be running that ramp in mid-late 2022.

Really Hoping this is true... thanks for asking.

#696 2 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Really Hoping this is true... thanks for asking.

If Larry says he's doing them, he's doing them. The only question is when in 2022 they will actually hit, early or late. It's great news for Whodunnit owners, though!

#697 2 years ago

SSSWWWEEETTTT!!!!!

#698 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

Got all 3 reels spinning again !
But.... one turns in the opposite direction??? in sync
2 are not in sync.
Mounted as it should 3-1-2

Checked the ohms on each cable pair and one pair gave no result, others around 60.
Made a new connector, did a new ohm check (60) and now it's spinning in the same direction as the other 2 and suddenly everything is in sync as well !

Case closed..

#699 2 years ago

Great result from what was very frustrating I’m sure. Thanks for posting rvermeire as it may help others.

#700 2 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Great result from what was very frustrating I’m sure. Thanks for posting rvermeire as it may help others.

Yep, these reels where indeed about the most frustrating thing I had on a pinball. But must admit the Dracula Myst lane is also very challenging but a bit more logic.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
There are 1,119 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-dunnit-club-and-then-i-was-on-the-case/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.