(Topic ID: 214935)

Who Dunnit Blowing Fuse in Power Box ( On/Off Switch Area)

By Xanathar

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Xanathar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fuse1 (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

Hi all

I am running into an issue that no matter how many time I replace the tiny fuse in the box, it blows every single time. Someone mentioned that I need to maybe replace the Varistor and Thermistor. I looked in the Manual and all I see listed in the section for Universal Power Interface Assembly is a 016-12978-00 Thermistor SA., 2.5R25. Is there no Varistor here?

Also can someone tell me what the exact fuse I should be using here as well? I want to make sure I am using the correct one, and the manual does list one ( at least I cannot find it in there )

If someone has a picture of what exactly I should replace would be great help too.

Thanks in advance

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Xanathar:

Hi all
I am running into an issue that no matter how many time I replace the tiny fuse in the box, it blows every single time. Someone mentioned that I need to maybe replace the Varistor and Thermistor. I looked in the Manual and all I see listed in the section for Universal Power Interface Assembly is a 016-12978-00 Thermistor SA., 2.5R25. Is there no Varistor here?
Also can someone tell me what the exact fuse I should be using here as well? I want to make sure I am using the correct one, and the manual does list one ( at least I cannot find it in there )
If someone has a picture of what exactly I should replace would be great help too.
Thanks in advance

The fuse is listed on page 1-46 at the bottom right. Line Filter 8A means an eight amp, 250v rated fuse.
Doesn't appear to be a varistor from the factory. Great Plains Electronics sells them: https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=V130LA20AP

You should read vid1900 guide to replacing line cords, he has excellent information about MOV/varistors and thermistors: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide/page/2#post-2824182
Note his photo may or may not be the same as your WHO Dunnit.

#3 5 years ago

Thank you for responding.

I looked over your links and if I understand properly I should add an MOV if one does not exist correct?

Also do you by chance know the exact fuse for the fuse holder here? I know you said 8A 250v but I search on great plains and it says this is no longer manufactured. I would appreciate a link to the exact fuse if you can provide one. Thank you for the link to the varistor.

fuse1 (resized).jpgfuse1 (resized).jpg

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Xanathar:

Thank you for responding.
I looked over your links and if I understand properly I should add an MOV if one does not exist correct?
Also do you by chance know the exact fuse for the fuse holder here? I know you said 8A 250v but I search on great plains and it says this is no longer manufactured. I would appreciate a link to the exact fuse if you can provide one. Thank you for the link to the varistor.

Pinball Life has the fuses, choose the 8 amp from the drop-down menu: https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3888

I would add a MOV, but I don't think that's going to solve your problem. You have a short somewhere, you'll have to find and fix it.

#5 5 years ago

Test your wall outlet.
Is your ground point on your plug cut?
Is your cord cut?
All you running all your games from a single point?
Are you using some type of non-grounding extension cord?
Do you have an exposed wire touching a metal point (including the line fuse box)?
Did you test line fuse box components?
Stray solder drop somewhere?
Did you inspect your transformer, it's settings, and all associated Molex plugs?
Continuity should be buzzed up the chain, starting from the plug.

Start simple, work forward.
Once these areas are eliminated you can look for further potential causes of a line short circuit, indicative of a ground problem.
Don't keep changing fuses, if they are the correct amperage and type. A wrong amp line fuse will pop the circuit.
My estimate is a bad thermistor or MOV (varistor) as a first guess, or a direct wire short from the line into the game.

2 months later
#6 5 years ago

I resolved this issue in case anyone was interested. Was the Bridge rectifier on the Fliptronics Board

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-dunnit-blowing-fuse-in-power-box-onoff-switch-area and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.