Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by DefaultGen
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Ok, I freely admit that I have never played this machine, so I am looking for information and value.

I just started looking into it..I searched this forum and I see mixed reviews. (yes typical)
I think it looks interesting. Seems that there is quite a story line, and how to accomplish everything, and can be more complex then one would think about this machine. Is this a sleeper that doesn't get the love that it deserves?

I have played it on pinball arcade just as some type of reference as to how it may play...I think I like it.
Looks to be a pin that could be fun even if I were playing by myself. Good rule set to follow?
Looks like they don't command a high price, and since they really weren't that popular (with the route guys) when they came out, they didn't get that much play..so they can be found in pretty good shape.

There seems to be some concerns with the slots, and the ramps cracking with no replacements available?

Oh, and this was funny too.

Thank-you with any and all advice.

#2 9 years ago

low production game. cant say not popular with route guys. weren't enough made to be all over like taf.
also was coming towards the end of the good days of operating pins. AFM and MM etc and all others in that time era or after for the next few years till Williams went "by by" had more units made.
could also say the same for cactus canyon "not being popular with the route guys". bcuz low production there as well. price pends condition as with any game and its not as easily seen as a normal price since few of them sell over the past years. look at pricing of games like tftc, wh20 or congo NOW compared to 2 years ago. way more than prices 2 years ago or prior.

#3 9 years ago

Thanks... silver-spinner.. I guess not too many others have played this table either. Oh well.

#4 9 years ago

Its a decent game. Super popular with none pin people that come over and end up playing some of my machines. Popular with pinheads for novelty and rarity but that fades away.

Ive still never gone through and closed every case. I couldnt even tell you if there was a wizard mode or not haha.

Slots and roulette are cool features. The chase hurry up is fun to start case multiball. Neat easter eggs like midnight madness.

Downfall comes in repetition of how it plays. The elevator takes up a bunch of real estate on the shot map. So its like flippers, ramp, flippers, ramp, unless you purposely shoot for ramp and orbit.

Overall its a fun game. It was my first and its never left. But, my collection has gotten a bit bigger. In a one pin collection it could get old fast, every game can get stale as a single collection though.

If you find one and its not stupidly priced I would give it a shot. You should be able to sell it again off rarity alone if it ends up not being your cup of tea.

#5 9 years ago

Thank-you

For taking the time to respond..it helps..
Still got to figure price $$ and the reliability of the slots..have you had any real problems?

#6 9 years ago

It's actually quite fun, but also extremely unbalanced and not suited for competition play. There's one on route in my area. My feeling is that it doesn't have a ton of staying power. Extra balls are pretty easy and you can effectively play forever if you just go for those. Definitely unique, I really dig the mechanical slot machine reels as well as the elevator inverted scoop thing in the middle, the "solve the mystery" ruleset is also really unique but isn't implemented that well. Not a lot of flow unless you're in one of the elevator modes that let you slam the center ramp and return to the flippers. Not really anything in the way of combos. If you've played it a bit in on the pinball arcade then you probably have a decent feel for the ruleset, it doesn't get much more complicated than figuring out which floor does what.

They also played it recently on the PAPA live broadcast and they discuss it a bit there.

#7 9 years ago

Ive had no reel issues. But, I bought the game without the issues and they, knock on wood, have never popped up.

Cant really help with pricing as I bought mine so long ago and prices were way different back then. My guess would probably be in around 1800 low end and lower 2000s for a nicer one. But, im in California and all prices are a bit higher here. Thats just a thrown out range too based on a couple recent W?Ds and what they were posted for and appreciation from when I bought mine.

#8 9 years ago

Agree slots are no issue ,there are inexpensive replacement motors for slots but ramps are not available . I think price depends on area and condition the1800 to low 2s seems average $. There are some issues with paint chipping around inserts . Like most games from era game dfficulty can be changed through settings. Great game thats underrated once you play enough games it's fun to progress to catching killer also midnight madness is great feature

#9 9 years ago

Thanks guys!

At least I'm not hearing anything too negative..

and that is what I have been finding about price also..thx again

#10 9 years ago

I would pay into the mid 2's for one of these. Anyone have one in the west let me know.

#11 9 years ago

Owned it for 6 months lack of wizard mode kills it for me. Yeah u can set it up harder, but in a game where it's catch the killer and solve the case I want to do that and get rewarded when I solve all the cases. This isn't going to happen. Best bet solve two or three cases and start hitting the roulette wheel. Was my first DMD and again no wizard mode kills the game.

#12 9 years ago

I love Who Dunnit when it's in my local route rotation. I agree with a lot of the above, especially that games can get long and the scoring isn't very balanced (roulette 100% makes or breaks your game if you play). One thing to note about the TPA version is that the elevator ramp rejects shots a lot more than the real game, at least the one I play. It's also a bit harder to aim for left/center/right in TPA. On the machine, you can nail the elevator ramp all day if you wanted to.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Altoona, PA
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 26.50
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-dunnit-3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.