Who Dunnit

By coasterguy

13 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 13 years ago

Here I go again. I snagged a Who Dunnit off of Ebay this week. It will arrive next week. It looked to be in pretty decent shape and pretty decent price. I always like the theme and I hope I like the game. I am huge fan of murder mystery themes so it should be good next to TOM which arrives tomorrow. I'll post some pics next week.

#3 13 years ago

I got that on my wish list....I love the slot machine. Very nice.

You've got me in the shopping mood.
but I gotta sell one first...no room.

#4 13 years ago

I really like mine. The skill shot to the basement is awesome. The ball lock in the game (the basement) has no direct shot from the flippers which i like. It's also my wife's favorite game over spiderman, shadow, tz and sttng.

#5 13 years ago

Nice game with great software and rules. When you get to know it you will find its not as random as it first apears,

#6 13 years ago

Plus, you can turn almost all the randomness off. If you have any issues with the slot machine PM me. When I picked mine up I did a ton of work, swapped reels, troubleshoot motors, switched out ICs, it was a bitch but I am now an expert in it

One of the main issues with the slot machine is that the reels don't match the DMD. Super easy to fix. If that happens to you don't freak.

The skill shot is one of my favorite in pinball. It's a straightforward very difficult shot. The game is know for being easy, but I have my outlanes wide open and the game up to 7.2 degrees.... it is NOT easy.

I just have to figure out why my right ramp acts like a ski jump 1/2 the time. I've never seen wacky airballs like I have from this game, and apparently after some searching I'm not alone.

What did you pay?

#7 13 years ago

Wow, thanks jalpert. I am not a great "repair man" yet so I may need answers if I have issues. It seems in great shape. I paid $1800 for it. I am really looking forward to getting it late next week.

#8 13 years ago

I just have to figure out why my right ramp acts like a ski jump 1/2 the time

dido on my train ramp. I put a piece of mylar to protect the game under the ramp and it seems to have made the issue worse.

#9 13 years ago

I just have to figure out why my right ramp acts like a ski jump 1/2 the time. I've never seen wacky airballs like I have from this game, and apparently after some searching I'm not alone.

I have a Scared Stiff and the bat ramp acts as a "ski jump" about one third to one half the time. My incline is also just over 7 degrees. I was going to adjust the incline to be 6.5 and see if that resolves it. I played a SS on location 2 weeks ago where the balls never flew off the ramp bit I forgot to take a measurement.

jalpert, have you tried less of an incline? Maybe that's not an option for you since you want it faster?

#10 13 years ago

I have not tried adjusting the incline. On your SS, is it a ramp that raises and lowers? This particular ramp on W?D is on a lift. When it's down the ball goes up the ramp, when it's up the ball goes under the ramp and around the orbit.

When I got the game, it needed a flipper rebuild and it still jumped on the ramp so flipper power isn't an issues.

My guess is the mechanism that raises and lowers the ramp needs to be adjusted. I just haven't had time to re-visit the issue but I should before I break a plastic.

#11 13 years ago

I have a Scared Stiff and the bat ramp acts as a "ski jump" about one third to one half the time.

The Bat Ramp on Scared Stiff is fixed. When I had my Scared Stiff, fast shots up the Bat Ramp also kept taking off, the ball sometimes lodged up near the Skull Pile. Then it was glass off time to retrieve it. I ended up putting some clear tape over the top of the ramp to stop it happening, not an ideal situation but it worked, (until the balls ripped the tape off again).

The Scared Stiff on location probably had weaker flippers which would have prevented airballs happening.

#12 13 years ago

Anyone know where to find Who Dunnit replacement Ramps? I have searched and have not come up with much so far.

#13 13 years ago

Replacement ramps are not available.

#14 13 years ago

That stinks.

#15 13 years ago

Coasterguy are the ramps broken?

I have had pretty good success flame polishing ramps, it really brings them back to life if properly cleaned and polished prior to the flame polish.

#16 13 years ago

Did not get the game yet. Should arrive by Friday. O think the ramps are clean but a couple cracks around some screws. I'd like to replace them all together.

#17 13 years ago

Ramps are usually very expensive. For W?D I wouldn't worry about it. Ramps could easily be hundreds of dollars.

I do the same thing, when a game is brand new I want to make it perfect. Then after I play it for a while, I have a bunch of fun with it and the imperfections aren't such a big deal.

In just about every case, I do a flipper rebuild. However, most of the parts I thought I wanted while in the honeymoon phase I ended up not caring so much about.

#18 13 years ago

Your exactly right. I have wasted lots of money during the honeymoon phase of new pins. Thanks for making me remember that.

9 months later
#19 12 years ago

Bumped CGs old thread because I found it talked about the train ramp ball hops. Anyone ever find a fix for this issue? I'm at 6.5 degrees which I think is where it should be. Seems everytime I hit the train ramp my ball ends up somewhere back by the roulette wheel.

#20 12 years ago

Note that his W?D is no longer in the collection, either. It is a fun game but pales in comparison to almost any game in the Top 50 rated games here...

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

It is a fun game but pales in comparison to almost any game in the Top 50 rated games here...

I could name 40 pins in the top 50 that its better then. Heaven for bid a pin that trys to do something different.

#22 12 years ago

I played this game this morning while picking up a new game and its a blast. Its pretty stop and go, but very different and fun. Hope you like it Coasterguy.

#23 12 years ago
Quoted from PinWiz17:

The_Gorilla said:It is a fun game but pales in comparison to almost any game in the Top 50 rated games here...
I could name 40 pins in the top 50 that its better then. Heaven for bid a pin that trys to do something different.

+1

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from PinWiz17:

Heaven for bid a pin that trys to do something different.

I actually enjoyed W?D. It was campy, great sound, and as you said, quite different. It was just too easy to beat. It's the same problem I am having on JM. Great game but I can play a ball for 30 minutes.

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Hope you like it Coasterguy.

LMAO!!! I'm pretty sure CG flipped it before it ever even made it into his house.

#26 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

It was just too easy to beat.

The Gorilla must have crazy flipper fingers! Cause Ive owned it for a little while and havent come close to solving all the cases in just 3 balls.

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from PinWiz17:

The_Gorilla said:It is a fun game but pales in comparison to almost any game in the Top 50 rated games here...

Seriously. W?D is one of the best Bally/WMS games made. It's got a great theme, great music, great design, great toys, etc. It is a stop-and-go-type game, and if you don't like that kind of gameplay, it may be a turn off, but aside from that, it's a very fun game with a lot going on. It's not a super-deep ruleset but it doesn't need to be.

I'd like to hear more about the lining-up the slot reels with the video thing. I took apart and cleaned by motors but the reel is slightly off sometimes.

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from PinWiz17:

The Gorilla must have crazy flipper fingers!

Not really? I do however have some games that everything just lines up "right" for me. I can score/complete like a wild man on say IJ, but can't seem to do anything on FH. W?D was one of those games that was apparently built for me...

However, since this post has been brought back from the dead, I have been thinking about trading out JM for another W?D. It was a very great theme and it felt, I don't know...Classy?

HEY JITNEYSTAND!!! Want a JM?????

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 26.50
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Altoona, PA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-dunnit-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.