(Topic ID: 227082)

Who does silk screen? I just bought a screen kit.

By cottonm4

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gottlieb-Solar-City-Apron-1-600x310 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8648 (resized).JPG

#1 5 years ago

I recently bought a silk screen kit and have been learning how to use it. I just did my first silk screen stencil today. This is a test piece only. Not too bad for the first time out, I think.

Any silk screen pros here who would offer advise and tricks?

Right now all I have is black ink. I think it might be too thick but I am unsure what procedures I should use to thin the ink. This is the EZscreenprint kit.

IMG_8648 (resized).JPGIMG_8648 (resized).JPG

#2 5 years ago

Following. I have some spinners that could use this treatment too.

#3 5 years ago

Weird, I was just looking at silk screen kits yesterday. Can’t wait to see how it goes.

#4 5 years ago

I have all my art work completed. I have one of those see-thru H-P scanners. I scanned all inserts for Quicksilver. I have scanned all the inserts for Big Game. I scanned the Stern style spinner with the "S" and the stars. I have scanned the Tiger spinner for Big Game.

I learned how to use Gimp and made artwork for the QS inserts. Artwork for the Big Game numbers 1-thru-9. And the spinners.

I don't have expensive developing light so I have to develop the stencils in the sunlight for one minute. It has been rainy an cloudy here for the last 7-8 days. I managed to get 20 minutes of sunshine yesterday and got the sample piece pictured developed. Before I could get back outside to develop the rest the clouds returned.

I am happy with my 1st screen job. But when I lay the ink down it is not smooth and shiny. It looks like 220 grit sandpaper. I don't know why. Tech support at the companies that sell the stuff do not get a blue ribbon for customer service. This sandpaper ink surface needs resolved before I can continue.

#6 5 years ago

No. no bubbles. More like when I lift the screen mesh away the ink does not flow and leaves mesh marks. At first blush, I think I will thin it with some water but the manufacturer brags about its low water content. I may try to water it down and see what happens.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

No. no bubbles. More like when I lift the screen mesh away the ink does not flow and leaves mesh marks. At first blush, I think I will thin it with some water but the manufacturer brags about its low water content. I may try to water it down and see what happens.

You need a small space between the screen and what you are screening. That way it will "bounce" off after you are done.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

You need a small space between the screen and what you are screening. That way it will "bounce" off after you are done.

As above. Space the screen about 5mm above the work and, as you squeegee the ink on, press down and the screen will flex to touch the work and transfer the ink BUT will pull back away from the work as the squeegee passes.

Also surface preparation is important. No grease or flaking paint - I realise your sample piece is just a test but the surface looks pretty chipped and ragged. This doesn't help when you go to put the screen print on.

#10 5 years ago

Thanks for those videos. I have watched #1 and #2. He used the same brand ink I am using so I will finish watching all of those.

Quoted from WeirPinball:

Quoted from Homepin:

As above. Space the screen about 5mm above the work and, as you squeegee the ink on, press down and the screen will flex to touch the work and transfer the ink BUT will pull back away from the work as the squeegee passes.
    Also surface preparation is important. No grease or flaking paint - I realise your sample piece is just a test but the surface looks pretty chipped and ragged. This doesn't help when you go to put the screen print on.

I visited a local screen printer who does mostly tee shirts. He said the same thing about raising the stencil away for the work. My thinking is to do space above the screen then I will need to go ahead and make shadow boxes so I can stretch the stencil tight and keep tension on it so it will pull/spring away from the work. Is this what you guys are saying or am I trying to make it too difficult ?

I really appreciate you all coming in with answers/suggestions.

#11 5 years ago

Some great info here. From a well known and highly regarded restorer!!!

#12 5 years ago

Hope someone will make some silk screen stencils for Gottlieb aprons like this.......better than decals.....
    Gottlieb-Solar-City-Apron-1-600x310 (resized).jpgGottlieb-Solar-City-Apron-1-600x310 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-does-silk-screen-i-just-bought-a-screen-kit- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.