(Topic ID: 65480)

Who do you hope gets the Star Wars license?

By tbanthony

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by RazerX
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Who do you hope gets the Star Wars license?”

• Stern 9 votes
      13%
    • JJP 46 votes
      69%
    • Other 4 votes
      6%
    • No one 8 votes
      12%

(67 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SW_ESB.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Surely both Stern and JJP will make a play for Star Wars. Which one do you think will get it and which one do you hope gets it and why?

#2 10 years ago

JJP by a mile. If they did it say after Hobbit, with a couple LCD display games under their belt it would be such a natural title to get that treatment. There really hasn't been a great Star Wars pin yet, the JJP slow but detailed treatment would seriously tempt my wallet in a way that WOZ certainly hasn't, as much as I'm starting to become impressed with where the software is going and general build quality (GI aside, but hopefully they learn from that).

#3 10 years ago

Jersey Jack Pinball would be my preference, would take too long to explain why.

#4 10 years ago

I have more confidence in Stern producing a good fun playfield design given their stable of designers but probably would prefer JJP overall due to quality of materials, widebody, and the LCD. It's a toss up on the rules in my view, but I will give the edge to JJP since Stern just seems to continuously crank out incomplete games and consider that acceptable. While JJP did that too on WOZ, I am probably more willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Winner: JJP

#5 10 years ago

SkitB! Wait? The new SW movies aren't going to be R-rated?!

#6 10 years ago

I think a new SW title would almost beg for a wide body, so JJP.

#7 10 years ago

JJP but after Episode 9. Want all movies on the pin.

#8 10 years ago

Wasn't JJP hinting at an original theme?
    While I'm not against Star Wars I'm pro original theme so I hope JJP #3 or 4 is just that.

#9 10 years ago

OP can you add a poll to your thread?
    JJP would be my pick.

#10 10 years ago

Not even close, Jersey Jack.

#12 10 years ago

Doesn't matter to me as long as it gets made.

#13 10 years ago

Add another vote for JJP, just seems the obvious choice.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from tbanthony:

I have more confidence in Stern producing a good fun playfield design given their stable of designers but probably would prefer JJP overall due to quality of materials, widebody, and the LCD. It's a toss up on the rules in my view, but I will give the edge to JJP since Stern just seems to continuously crank out incomplete games and consider that acceptable. While JJP did that too on WOZ, I am probably more willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Winner: JJP

Agree.

#15 10 years ago

What about heighway pinball
    Since the whole franchise will be mostly made in the uk

#16 10 years ago

I'd rather have a say in which *designer* makes it than which manufacturer.

#18 10 years ago

Would rather have Stern get it........ they are producing good games, they do not need a 3yr advance deposit/paid full, and I'll get my game that year instead of waiting 5 (since Hobbit we know is next).

#19 10 years ago

I would be ok with either! Both companies are making great games. The one advantage and why I would favor JJP is they will have WOZ and Hobbit finished, LCD game play design will matter, JJP to date has a +2 advantage

#20 10 years ago

JJP is not doing Star Wars.

#21 10 years ago

Due to Stern's relationship with Disney I would think they will end up with any Star Wars license. Lucasfilm is now owned by Disney, just like Marvel.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

JJP is not doing Star Wars.

Yeah they have a theme lined up for game #3 already. Again, which sucks because didn't they promise an original theme for game #3?

#23 10 years ago

I would prefer JJP, but I'd expect Stern.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from Danzig:

Jersey Jack Pinball would be my preference, would take too long to explain why.

Longer than it would take to get the game itself?

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I'd rather have a say in which *designer* makes it than which manufacturer.

Further than that, I would rather have a say in which *software guy* makes it.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Again, which sucks because didn't they promise an original theme for game #3?

Jack also promised that WOZ would never be released with unfinished code.

LOL

#28 10 years ago

I'd be ok with Stern getting it as long as Trudeau is designing it. I really don't want to see another Borgified SW game and Steve's a trekkie, so that's out

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Further than that, I would rather have a say in which *software guy* makes it.

Yeah, good point, that too!

#30 10 years ago

I'd like to see Hankin get the license again.

The most fun Star Wars pin was Empire Strikes Back.

SW_ESB.jpgSW_ESB.jpg

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I'd like to see Hankin get the license again.
    The most fun Star Wars pin was Empire Strikes Back.

unless it's from FUN.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

OP can you add a poll to your thread?
    JJP would be my pick.

Added a poll

#33 10 years ago

pends on how quick you want it.

#34 10 years ago

Poll needs "don't care, so long as it's done right for once".

#35 10 years ago

I want to vote JJP for build quality,but the designer is more important and right now they are at Stern.

#36 10 years ago

Whether JJP has a shot at Star Wars or not, should Stern be worried that nearly 3 to 1 would prefer JJP vs. Stern?

#37 10 years ago

Bally... in 1981 though

(yes yes i know

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from tbanthony:

Whether JJP has a shot at Star Wars or not, should Stern be worried that nearly 3 to 1 would prefer JJP vs. Stern?

3 to 1 in an insignificant poll buried in the world of Pinside....the Worlds leading site for whining and bitching about pinball and the ever beaten to death JJP vs Stern topic Stern could care less, just like JJP could care less. They both know that when they make a game, everyone goes nuts buying it, and until it stops, they will both continue to do what they are doing now.

#39 10 years ago

JJP hands down.

Star Wars screams for the full JJP treatment, with ample use of that nice big LCD (full motion video and lots of great video creativity), tons of high quality toys, and fully taking the time necessary to make the game immersive, deep and stunning. Also it should be a widebody and have that great WMS-like feel to the flippers.

Also I don't want the game designed with a calculator, and Stern doesn't do anything without the bean counters getting in and gutting it these days.

-Jim

#40 10 years ago

They also use Deluxe Paint running on those calculators.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

3 to 1 in an insignificant poll buried in the world of Pinside....the Worlds leading site for whining and bitching about pinball and the ever beaten to death JJP vs Stern topic Stern could care less, just like JJP could care less. They both know that when they make a game, everyone goes nuts buying it, and until it stops, they will both continue to do what they are doing now.

I disagree. I think they care what this core enthusiast group thinks. This group can make or break a game. Games that get talked up here sell well and appreciate in price. Games that get the thumbs down here don't do well and depreciate in value. Now this is a group of relative extremists so anything said here has to be taken with a grain of salt to an extent. Plus, people will say one thing online and do something else in reality at times. But they are making hundreds or a few thousand games, not hundreds of thousands -- so compared to cars, for example, this is a very small, low volume niche market where the core customer group is extremely important. Last I knew, Steve Ritchie periodically reads some of posts here because he is interested and cares about what people are saying... now he probably thinks we are lunatics at times (which is probably true), but I wouldn't be so dismissive of our influence.

#42 10 years ago

I would prefer JJP by far to do it. LCD display with custom animations, movie clips, stereo sound, wide body with multiple toys, magnets, powder coated interior parts and a very deep quest based ruleset by Keith and Ted...drolls!

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I would prefer JJP by far to do it. LCD display with custom animations, movie clips, stereo sound, wide body with multiple toys, magnets, powder coated interior parts and a very deep quest based ruleset by Keith and Ted...drolls!

All sounds great until you get to the part where Balcer is designing the layout, sigh.
    He did design Star Wars Tragedy in 97.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-do-you-hope-gets-the-star-wars-license and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.