Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

anchor.gif
SPIDER.jpg
TRS.jpg
limited.jpg
ohno.jpeg
ST_SM_Comparison.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Why hesitate to buy the LE? Where else can you buy something totally awesome/top of the line, use the living crap out of it and get hours of fun only to turn around in a couple of years to sell it at a profit? Heck, even if you lose a little money, it is still a lot cheaper than any other "rich man's hobby" I can think of.

Funny, I have used these exact same arguments to convince my wife and myself on the Pro models.

Quoted from John_I:

even the clunkers hold their value better if you get the LE.

I don't think any of the recent Sterns are clunkers, but some LEs have lost over $1000. The Pro seems like a safer bet, unless it's fatally flawed.

#52 10 years ago

Yeah, I'm kinda disappointed in you KwiKimart! Let's give this new game a chance.

To many others on this thread: I called the whambulance. I mean seriously, a 4% price increase and it's game over? No LCD display and you're ready to quit? Not limited enough?

I have yet to regret a single Stern Pro that I've bought. I feel a little sad for you all tonight. Well, and for myself because I have insomnia.

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

4%? Price I got on an STLE was exactly $1000 more than my MetLE form the same distributor.

Holy crap, that's crazy. The Pro only went up a few hundred.

#101 10 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Here is the price we are paying at todays rate for STLE. in NZ $ 10993.05us
Who in the U.S.A would pay this price?
My MOPLE was $ 9038.73 us
A little more than 4%

I'm interested to hear what the delta is in the USA. If it really went up 1-2k, then I agree Stern is getting a bit greedy on the LE. Maybe they did the math and decided there were enough non-pin rich Trekkies that all the LEs would sell at this price? Who knows.

#148 10 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

For those that wanted to why I think STTNG is still the better game, let me explain a few pointers without any groans from the Stern fanboys:

This is by far the dumbest and most obnoxious post I've read this week, and that's saying a lot.

#149 10 years ago

After reading this whole thread, I still don't know what the price increase was for LE in the US. My data says $400, is that right?

#256 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

1. Ironman is a stripped down game from the darker years at Stern.

Why? Because it only has 2 ramps, 3 spinners, a kicker, a bash toy that rises from the playfield, 2 magnets and about 20 stationary targets? Or because the layout isn't claustrophobic (ala X-men)?

I love my MET Pro, but IM has a very similar BOM cost. I agree that if I had to choose one to keep, it would be MET. Best. Artwork. Ever!

EDIT: the other reason IM goes for so much is that people love to bling it out. I've kept mine stock except for a shaker and FF speakers, so I only have about $5k in it.

#274 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It does feel cheap. But it isn't stripped down in terms of toys and features. It's stripped down in things like the pegs and plastic apron etc

Metal apron: $59 at PBL
Playfield support brackets: $55 at PBL

IM has a standard lockdown bar. I've added the support brackets, but I kept the plastic apron because bounce-backs are awesome when they happen.

#278 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I was saying MET Pro (my next purchase) reminds me of IM yet costs thousands less

Indeed, smart man! I think as people begin realize how similar their layouts are, the prices for IM will drop a bit. No question that the ramps in MET are sturdier. Please don't quote this if I have a FS post in the near future.

#286 10 years ago

From my favorite Wordsworth poem:

Sweet is the lore which nature brings
Our meddling intellect
Mis-shapes the beauteous form of things
We murder to dissect

#291 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

(of course, how much a game costs to build or how many moving parts there are does NOT necessarily equate with how "good" or "fun" it will be, and that's not what I'm trying to say here).

Thank you. This "active item count" is a novel way to look at things, but it's just a metric. There are some "active items" that I think we can agree add little or no enjoyment to a game. The moving band on AC/DC is one example; the crashing tower in LOTR is another. It would be interesting to see the active item count for the current Pinside top 20.

#316 10 years ago

The whole Stern vs JJP thing reminds me of this old ad (blonde is IM, brunette is WOZ). Skip to 0:28...

#t=28

#346 10 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

I would have to get the LE if I get one, that collection of heads on the Pro Tlite is just fugly.

Wow, seriously? I think it's the best of the three.

#356 10 years ago

I agree that this is one of the nicest LEs Stern has done.

#400 10 years ago

People have been fretting over Stern's survival for years, but all of the things people bitch about are really just Gary Stern running his business like a BUSINESS. Cost-cutting, exploring new markets ("The Pin", "IM Classic"), multiple versions of the same game, releasing games before code is complete --- all of those are necessary to survive, IMHO.

#474 10 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

To answer the question in the thread title: I don't have the money to buy a LE, even at "normal" price and would not care anyway as long as a Pro is nearly as good. I like to bring my pins to tourneys and festivals, so a precious LE would be too valuable for this pinlife style...

Exactly, same here. New pins make great temporary trade bait! I never would have discovered how great Avatar is if I hadn't done a temp-trade with my IM.

#475 10 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Don't you think the next LCD Stern could make ST look old / lose value faster than usual?

If so, the same thing would happen to SM, LOTR or any other great pin that didn't have ColorDMD support yet. And alphanumeric pins would drop like a rock...not going to happen IMHO. A display is just a display.

#476 10 years ago

Just for comparison, look at LOTR. I bought one NIB in 2003 and watched as it held its value and even increased in value. Honestly this surprised me since Stern did 2 more big runs of LOTR that should have saturated the demand. Looks like Tron Pro will go the same way...

#480 10 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Uh, have to disagree here. Most DMD games are worth more than alphanumeric pins and most alphanumeric pins are worth more than EM games. There are obvious exceptions, but this is the market.

Right, I'm just saying that I don't think we'll see a noticeable depreciation in DMD titles (or even pre-DMD) right away. Some JJP fans predicted that the LCD would make the DMD seem "antiquated", but that hasn't happened yet. I DO agree that there are many recent titles where DMD tech was poorly used for movie clips. But titles like AFM and Metallica that have great dots won't feel "stale".

Having said all that, if someone does a Whirlwind DMD project, I might have to jump on that!

#481 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

I would tend to think it's 50/50 whether the new STD (Bally Star Trek is already "ST" btw)

ST is Starship Troopers. STD makes no sense at all (Star Trek Darkness?). I'd vote for SST (Stern Star Trek).

#518 10 years ago
Quoted from houseofpin:

Hwawonyu.....sorry to disappoint you but no melt down today. With the new pinside rules all I can do is tell you how smart, good looking and intelligent you are. Sorry I never bought your X-MEN LE for $5.5K but get over it....life goes on. YOU PROMISED ME I WAS ON IGNORE.....obviously you keep your word....try not to work too hard today. Today is probably the toughest day I have had in months as watching the painters paint my house is wearing me out !!! Almost as tough as yesterday watching the lawn crew mow my lawn.....life is tough for HOP !!!

Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.

#520 10 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

The price is absurd - so many quality used machines for 1/2 of that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Oklahoma City, OK
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 24.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
arcade-cabinets.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-didnt-buy-stle-because-of-price-and-799-units?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.