Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

anchor.gif
SPIDER.jpg
TRS.jpg
limited.jpg
ohno.jpeg
ST_SM_Comparison.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 10 years ago

3 reasons. Price, Same layouts used 100 times by stern. Over and over and over again. I don't care if the LE numbers are in the 1000's. Your not suppose to be buying games for an investment anyway. If you don't lose your ass when it comes time to sell it, you got lucky. Other than that, buy it because you ENJOYED playing it. (notice past tense there..meaning you already played it Before buying).

and 3rd reason, is because I havn't played it a minimum of 20 times. LOTR looks like ass, boring layout, not a lot of toys, but the rules knock it out of the park and make it a top 5 game for me. This might do the same. But since I already own 4 other games with practically the same layout, there is no room in my collection for this regardless. To much of the same thing. If I had room for 30 games, and the rules on this turn out the be truly unique and outstanding on a whole other level...then maybe when the price is dropped and everyone is dumping them.

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

While they are making 799 LEs there are a lot going overseas according to the distributor I talked to today. He actually got 5 less STLE's then he did METLE's so there might not be as many available in the US as people think.

what difference does it make? They all end up back here anyway. Just be a new era of containers.

#85 10 years ago

every game is limited edition. Once they stop making them, that's it. Limited is a relative term. The ones that buy to play, don't give a crap. The ones that are trying to use pinball as an investment, are shaking in their boots, when the LE drops in price. As all new games should.

#209 10 years ago

I changed my mind. I'm buying one now since i'm selling the mod for it. And using the money I madke off the mod to purchase it. Once I sell out of the mods, i'll order one.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-astroid-mod

#211 10 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

I didnt see this earlier! Now that is some funny shit! You sir have just tipped the scale for me! I will take the chive option as well!

Excellent choice, as I too am a fan of the chives as it adds a splash of color to the scene.

#214 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly.
But we are used to this from Neo. 90% of Neo's posts on Pinside are negative. Maybe more.

I call bullshit on this one. You just don't go in the threads about good games, so you never see it when I compliment a game.

But I was interested in this one. The wife is a huge fan of the new movies. It had potential. But it's out of my 6k limit for any game where they made more than 20 of. and fell into the "we've done this layout 100 times" design. And it's very bland. Software could save it. Time will tell and only after a couple of years if the hype still follows it, will it be considered. But the price on the resale market would have to fit the bill. I'm in no rush. I have 22 other games i'd rather play for the next 3 or 4 years, till we see where it stands in the test of time.

But.......... LOTR is similar in that aspect, and that's a top 5 game for me. Why? ONLY because of the software. It's the most in depth and phenomenal rules ever made. (TSPP is also as good but too cluttered for my taste (should have been widebody)). Which is enough to save the game since it fits the theme so well.

#220 10 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

If you hate the game so much why are you in every thread? Everyone saw the joke Neo. Funny. I think maybe you actually want one.

Btw, I never said I hated it. I was underwelmed, but don't hate it. But I am sick of stern cranking out the same cookie cutter playfield layouts for every damn game. It's getting sickening.

If they put out something unique like Dungeons and Dragons or swords of fury layouts, i'd shit my pants because they actually stepped out of the box for a change.

#231 10 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Shitting yourself is one thing. The real question is... Would you buy it?

First off, i'd have to play it. Great unique layout doesn't guarantee awesome game. You need the software and rules to go with it. If it doesn't exceed my 6k limit for any game (rare exceptions to this), then I would. If it does exceed it. I'll wait 3 or 4 years, when they start to come off route or people are dumping them for the next prehype game. So yes. If it's good, i'll eventually own it.

#232 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Hmmm, reminds me
» YouTube video

That was the best commercial I've ever seen. Why the hell have I not seen this on TV?

#234 10 years ago

apparently 1 million moms need to get the stick out of their butts. My wife loved it and thought it was one of the most funny commercials she's ever seen. So this Mom would have protested the other moms.

#271 10 years ago

everyone says IM is stripped down because it is. it's The econo line at stern. Just like AFM was for Bally/williams. BBH , NBA and TRS all look and feel cheap. IM is no exception but gets more love than the other 3. Tho the rules are very very shallow.

#342 10 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

Agreed.
I am holding off until I know:
1. What the firing photon torpedoes thing is all about?
2. Is the projector awesome or a cheap gimmick?
3. More info on the lasers.
4. More info on the ship and what it does exactly.
5. Did they get the rights to use any musical themes?
I have a feeling it's going to be a great pin, but I've been burned before,

This list is futile. There should only be 1 thing on that list, and you don't even have it on there.

I am holding off until :

1. Until I play it

#450 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The street price difference between the Premium and the LE is $1,300. Here's what you get with the approximate value *I* place on it:
- Stainless steel speaker panel with ST emblems ($300).
- Cut/illuminated side rails in blue ($250).
- Mirrored Backglass ($250).
- Shaker ($150)
- Numbered plaque, SR signature ($50).
That adds up to 1k (which is pretty darn close to the actual street price difference). Just to be clear, the prices aren't "what I think it costs Stern". It's simply the dollar value I place on it as a consumer.
It's interesting, I've never bought an LE, but I'm considering it for the first time (whereas you seem to be in the opposite position). When it comes to Stern purchases, exclusivity isn't interesting to me...I don't buy these as investments...I just happen to like the look and feature set of the LE this time around.
Without playing it or seeing it in action, it's still a very tough decision. Spending this kind of cash on incomplete products makes me feel like a fool more than anything else (while I anxiously await a Metallica software update of substance

But your math is skewed, because your basing it off of full retail as if you started with nothing, but really, you have the parts that your replacing. So for your numbers to really work, you would have to subtract the value of the parts that your upgrading, as they would have some value on the resale market. So say, stainless steel speaker panel was $300. The standard printed lexan and wood version would be worth $150, that's a $150 upgrade value. Translite + glass vs Backglass. Translite is usually $125 + $25 glass. So the backglass upgrade is $100 increase in value. SHaker is $120. Plaque. $20 (if that). Powdercoated side rails laser cut over premium powdercoated rails... lets be generous and say it costs $30 to have them laser cut.

So your looking at $420 worth of upgrades over the standard premium items.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 24.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-didnt-buy-stle-because-of-price-and-799-units?tu=captainneo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.