Topic Stats

• 533 posts
  • 152 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Wolfanoz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

anchor.gif
SPIDER.jpg
TRS.jpg
limited.jpg
ohno.jpeg
ST_SM_Comparison.jpg

There are 533 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 11.
#1 6 years ago

i was planning on buying one and i did not just because of price and how many - nothing to do with the game itself as i think it will be awesome - i based it on the price and 799 being made. is anybody not buying because of the same reason.

thanks ed

#3 6 years ago

Me also. At $7500 and under 500 I would have.

#4 6 years ago

That's it, end of story for me, I think it should be great too......

#5 6 years ago

Really need to be a lot pickier at 8K+

Not really limited enough to even call it limited in my mind.

Really would like to play it and see how it feels though.

#6 6 years ago

I've owned production games with less made them this LE version.

#7 6 years ago

I'm out - I pulled my LE order - this may be where Stern and our pin hobby may finally have "jumped the shark" in terms of pinflation

#8 6 years ago

while i agree that 799 isn't really "limited"...

i find it amusing that after all the griping (and there was a LOT of griping) .about "500 being too few le's" for metallica, people are now griping that "799 is too many"...

make uo your minds people...

#9 6 years ago

799 LE Units... losing its exclusive appeal for me. I'm out

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

i find it amusing that after all the griping (and there was a LOT of griping) .about "500 being too few le's" for metallica, people are now griping that "799 is too many"

I think 799 is great. Let the people who want to get an LE get an LE and with a few extra they may actually be able to play the game and not buy it on faith and pics. While I don't like the price increase I do like the increase of the number of LE's.

#11 6 years ago

Those reasons and also the awfull look of the machine
Really fade playfield and toys

#12 6 years ago

I would bet, Stern does not sell out these games at the full pre-order asking price, I still see TF LE for sale on Amazon -- amazon.com link »

I would bet the LE do not even sell out or Stern does not even build 799 of them. I mean they are limited to 799 (or less).

I predict that this will be a good game, but with this price combined with price stress (I mean people buying ACDC/MET/Tron and WOZ, maybe Predator, RAZA etc.. that people are running out of handy money or room.

Plus with people like me having got burned with XM LE no good code and Aux board issues etc.. that Stern has lost a lot of good will.

I would love to buy one, but not at this price, I believe the max would be $6900 and I hope that Stern is reading these posts etc..

#13 6 years ago

Premium is the clear winner here...and I happen to like it the best artwise too. I am still disappointed in the rehashed layout, but it will shoot great. Anything that plays like SM is a winner. Ritchie's games are all blurring together to me and that's a shame. I think Nordman is the true "king" as all his games are DIFFERENT.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think 799 is great. Let the people who want to get an LE get an LE and with a few extra they may actually be able to play the game and not buy it on faith and pics. While I don't like the price increase I do like the increase of the number of LE's.

well, at least someone is happy that they got what they asked for...

#15 6 years ago

My main reason for backing out is the similarity to STTNG. I don't think my small collection should contain two pins with so similar a playfield and theme. If I play it and love it, I'll reconsider, but that almost certainly will require me to sell the STTNG. It's too high a bar to clear with only these pics to go on. Of course, were it cheaper, it would be a smaller risk.

#16 6 years ago

They pushed it just a little too far this time for many of us.

#17 6 years ago

A ton will go overseas. I paid for my STEELE today. It was the only choice in my book. It won't lose value and it looks a lot better than the red on the Premium - especially when it is sitting next to my red ACDC Premium.

#18 6 years ago

I would buy premium in a heartbeat if art was different. I don't care about shakers or back glasses. I just think Premium is fugly.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from edcianci:

i was planning on buying one and i did not just because of price and how many - nothing to do with the game itself as i think it will be awesome - i based it on the price and 799 being made. is anybody not buying because of the same reason.
thanks ed

I can't argue the price point (still cheaper than MM, MB, AFM, etc.), but the number of units isn't really an argument. Especially if you are a WOZLE owner at 1000 units (is WOZLE still "Limited"?)
There were many many complaints from collectors that didn't get a MOPLE and they all complained Stern should increase the number of LEs to satisfy demand. Now they have and the other side is complaining. I'll agree $8k +/- is a lot of cheddar for a pinball machine. Each collector needs to decide if its worth it to them (and not just complain because its out of their price range). Heck, when I bought my Dodge Ram pickup, I wanted the top of the line model with all the full features. I couldn't afford it (or it wasn't worth it to me) so I bought a more stripped down base model. I didn't gripe about the higher end model being too expensive.
Just my .02
-Ed

#20 6 years ago

Why hesitate to buy the LE? Where else can you buy something totally awesome/top of the line, use the living crap out of it and get hours of fun only to turn around in a couple of years to sell it at a profit? Heck, even if you lose a little money, it is still a lot cheaper than any other "rich man's hobby" I can think of. This is a great game and pretty much a sure thing, but even the clunkers hold their value better if you get the LE.

#21 6 years ago

I have never liked the idea of "limited" editions ... as you can see with Stern's track record it's either either sell out and they lose money to the aftermarket, or sell too few and distributors lose money when they have to liquidate from the warehouse. Lose/lose.

#22 6 years ago

What I find amusing is the number of people complaining about value. Yes, the price has increased, but none of us know what Stern's holding back yet. What's this laser going to do, and what is the value in this thing?
If, somehow the spaceship came off the playfield and flew around the room, I don't think anyone would be complaining about value anymore.
Obviously it won't do that (though fingers remain crossed), but I think you get the idea.
Let's see what this thing is all about before we complain that we aren't getting our money's worth.

Question: IF this was the best Stern ever made, would you still think it's not worth the price tag?
Cause not once have I kicked myself for paying a hefty chunk of change for my ACDC Premium.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Let's see what this thing is all about before we complain that we aren't getting our money's worth.

I don't disagree, but the pressure was on (at least until now) to pre-order to secure a place without any such information, the expectation being that all of the LEs would be gone. We are still largely in the dark, which forces me at least to put off buying one, probably for quite some time. The business model just seems upside down. I can't imagine any other high-dollar purchase I'd be expected to make sight unseen.

#24 6 years ago

I didn't buy it because my wife wants a deck built

This means I get a Big Green Egg for Fathers Day next year

Briskett or ST?

Hmmmmm

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Briskett or ST?
Hmmmmm

I went to the Big Green Egg festival down here in Melbourne Beach Florida this spring and gorged on many bacon wrapped stuffed jalapenos. Good as they were I'd find a way to get both ST and the BGE!!

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Why hesitate to buy the LE? Where else can you buy something totally awesome/top of the line, use the living crap out of it and get hours of fun only to turn around in a couple of years to sell it at a profit? Heck, even if you lose a little money, it is still a lot cheaper than any other "rich man's hobby" I can think of.

Funny, I have used these exact same arguments to convince my wife and myself on the Pro models.

Quoted from John_I:

even the clunkers hold their value better if you get the LE.

I don't think any of the recent Sterns are clunkers, but some LEs have lost over $1000. The Pro seems like a safer bet, unless it's fatally flawed.

#27 6 years ago

Would have liked to see them do a villain LE version, some sort of creepy looking Romulan pin, they could have split it 400/400 like Xmen

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Briskett or ST?
Hmmmmm

im torn, brisket sounds good........................anytime.

#29 6 years ago

There have only been 2 only been two LEs really worth buying from a game play standpoint so far - Tron and Xmen.

And only two went up in value (ACDC and Tron) if you are looking for 'investments'. Not sure if METLEs have really gone up in value after the initial silliness.

For every other game you may as well go premium and then only if you like the gameplay better than the pro.

Just my opinion guys.

#30 6 years ago

I don't care about the units made, I'm in to play. Price is too high for me on the LE. Will look at the Premium though closely when it's released. With them making the Premiums last, it also feels like they work out a lot of the kinks.

#31 6 years ago

3 reasons. Price, Same layouts used 100 times by stern. Over and over and over again. I don't care if the LE numbers are in the 1000's. Your not suppose to be buying games for an investment anyway. If you don't lose your ass when it comes time to sell it, you got lucky. Other than that, buy it because you ENJOYED playing it. (notice past tense there..meaning you already played it Before buying).

and 3rd reason, is because I havn't played it a minimum of 20 times. LOTR looks like ass, boring layout, not a lot of toys, but the rules knock it out of the park and make it a top 5 game for me. This might do the same. But since I already own 4 other games with practically the same layout, there is no room in my collection for this regardless. To much of the same thing. If I had room for 30 games, and the rules on this turn out the be truly unique and outstanding on a whole other level...then maybe when the price is dropped and everyone is dumping them.

#32 6 years ago

I foresee a scramble for LE's once everyone gets their hands on one at expo.

#34 6 years ago

Lots of reasons I'll pass on this, but the number of units produced has no bearing on my decision. I've bought LEs in the past... not because they were "limited" but rather because they were the most feature-rich versions available.

I'm not interested in manufactured scarcity as a "feature" that adds cost to my game. I'd rather Stern build a killer top-of-the-line game, sell it for a reasonable profit, make enough for every single person that wants one, and eliminate this stupid speculators game.

#35 6 years ago

Layout doesnt bother me. Really there is only so much you can do with a 2' x 4' piece of wood and with hundreds of games designed over the last 6 decades, things are bound to look similar. Remember the threads when the first playfield shots of Tron came out? Everyone was comparing it's layout to Funhouse & Tommy. However the game played nothing like them.

I think the disappointment with this game so far is everyone knows Steves known for being the "first" to introduce new innovative things and this machine so far from the looks has failed to deliver, wheither it be LCD display, color dmd or something unseen yet. Futhermore color dmd and lcd display are overdue considering the competition has already done it. So the frustration is WHAT on this game justifies the highest price tag Stern is asking to date.

Unfortunately Sterns philosophy has become. "Less is more". Less game...for more money.
Heck as much as i hate WOZ for its gameplay feel, i gotta say buyers of that game are getting a full feature packed game with all the bells and whistles. Buyers of WOZ can feel comfortable knowing they know why it cost what it did, and im sure the same can be said whenever The Hobbit comes out.

I'm not bias im not in on The Hobbit either, never cared for any of those LOTR movies.

#36 6 years ago

I draw the line at paying $13,000 New Zealand dollars (10,000 plus usd) for a pinball machine.

Screw that.

I got plenty of other ones to play

rd.

#37 6 years ago

While they are making 799 LEs there are a lot going overseas according to the distributor I talked to today. He actually got 5 less STLE's then he did METLE's so there might not be as many available in the US as people think.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from edcianci:

Yeah I held back, too. Just too high of a price & too many units to do the blind pre-order. I may still get the game - but I'll just get a Premium as I find that price to be reasonable, it has all the same features, & I like the cab/translite art better anyway.

#39 6 years ago

I think Stern missed the mark on the theme too. Hardcore Trek fans ("Trekkers") are more into the original series, maybe TNG too. (Not so much DS9 or Voyager, and who really liked Enterprise?) The movie "reboot" is just a flavor-of-the-month, basically generic space action flicks that don't even feel like Star Trek nor follow the philosophy. So, unlike Metallica or ACDC, there's no hardore gotta-have-it fan base for the movie theme, imo. And the game itself, so far, isn't winning anybody over based on artwork, innovation, perceived value....

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

(Not so much DS9 or Voyager, and who really liked Enterprise?)

I agree with your entire post and have said similar things. The only part I disagree with is DS9 and Voyager not being viewed in a good light. DS9 is highly respected among the Trek fandom...Voyager not so much but when you watch it today it really holds up exceptionally well, far better than the TNG does. The stories told on Voyager on a stand alone basis were all really good.

I really like the new movies. But I am not bonded to the crew and I feel it is just missing some Trek about it. Perhaps if they did a TV series with the current movie actors I would feel totally different about the matter as we got to explore their characters deeper.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I agree with your entire post and have said similar things. The only part I disagree with is DS9 and Voyager not being viewed in a good light. DS9 is highly respected among the Trek fandom...Voyager not so much but when you watch it today it really holds up exceptionally well, far better than the TNG does. The stories told on Voyager on a stand alone basis were all really good.
I really like the new movies. But I am not bonded to the crew and I feel it is just missing some Trek about it. Perhaps if they did a TV series with the current movie actors I would feel totally different about the matter as we got to explore their characters deeper.

I personally liked DS9, Voyager was OK, but my sense is that "Kirk and Picard" still are central to fandom.

As for the movies, the number of plot holes and inconsistencies was embarrassing, esp. in the 2nd movie. They were merely generic over-the-top space blow-em-up movies with an homage to the Trek characters pasted on, and a few simplistic character motivations shoved in your face for those slow on the pickup. A setback for the Trek universe, imo. Those movies would have been better made as an original theme or based on some other sci-fi story. (Lensman series, anyone?)

FWIW, I'm not a Trek fanatic but have generally been a fan my whole life--I remember watching the original series when it first aired. (Lost in Space was cool back then too, in a different way.)

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I think Stern missed the mark on the theme too. Hardcore Trek fans ("Trekkers") are more into the original series, maybe TNG too. (Not so much DS9 or Voyager, and who really liked Enterprise?) The movie "reboot" is just a flavor-of-the-month, basically generic space action flicks that don't even feel like Star Trek nor follow the philosophy. So, unlike Metallica or ACDC, there's no hardore gotta-have-it fan base for the movie theme, imo. And the game itself, so far, isn't winning anybody over based on artwork, innovation, perceived value....

I agree somewhat, but that might be why they didn't put the actors and movie clipart on the playfield. The LE only has a small shot of 2 actors on the front of the cabinet.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

I agree somewhat, but that might be why they didn't put the actors and movie clipart on the playfield. The LE only has a small shot of 2 actors on the front of the cabinet.

They also appear on the side panels of the head. I agree though, I think they tried to minimize them on the LE as they know collectors don't like movie actors on back-glasses generally as it can date the game in coming years in the eyes of some.

I think the LE is by far the best looking of the versions, as it usually is. I bet that mirrored backglass looks pretty stunning in person.

#44 6 years ago

Why didn't I pre-order and spend over $8000 on Star Trek LE? Because I still haven't figured out how much customer support came with my $8000+ Metallica LE. That and I am not as enthused as I was on that one. And contrary to popular belief, my money does not grow on trees.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Why didn't I pre-order and spend over $8000 on Star Trek LE? Because I still haven't figured out how much customer support came with my $8000+ Metallica LE. That and I am not as enthused as I was on that one. And contrary to popular belief, my money does not grow on trees.

You paid $8000+ for your Metallica LE? Talk to me next time you buy a new game, brotha!

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Talk to me next time you buy a new game, brotha!

It may be the last time.

#47 6 years ago

well for me it was not the price or the numbers, that's all good but the lack of innovation is what disappointed me, I'm a Trekkie and I had high hopes for this one. This was going to be my first NIB, I knew about the price increase but I figured the machine would on par with JJP's creations. I never poo pooed AC/DC or Metallica, I actually praised both when they were released, I figured Stern was going to use this beloved franchise to launch a game changer machine (excuse the pun) but sadly they gave us the same ol same ol. Seriously I wish the fans of this game nothing but luck, but for me I will pin my hopes on the Hobbit.

#48 6 years ago

One reason: STTNG is still the superior game. And it's 20 years older.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Agreed.

If the game were based on the original series I would have bought an LE after seeing a video of gameplay.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

One reason: STTNG is still the superior game. And it's 20 years older.

We don't know that. None of us have played Stern's new ST.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 533 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside