You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-5 (resized).jpg
image-13 (resized).jpg
MC (resized).jpg
AA (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 7 years ago

I can't really say GB has a wide flipper gap, but most newer games have very narrow gaps. I think JD also designed by Trudeau has a little wider gap than the usual of today.

Although not listed on IPDB, Aztec looks like a Norm Clark, but could have been Kordek.

#9 7 years ago

The reason I say it looks like a Norm Clark is compare the layout to one of his earlier designs, Pit Stop. One of our house favorites.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1806&picno=1752

#10 7 years ago

Aztec was released after IPDB shows Norm Clark made his last game and before Chris Otis made his first game for Williams. It could very well be Otis because Clark had stopped using this basic playfield layout in the 60s and Otis working with Harry Williams used a very similar design on Rancho which came out the next year. It really could have been any of them or a collaboration of one or more designers. The truth is out there somewhere...

#12 7 years ago

Cool. Either way that left lane back to the top is a nice feature. And on Pit Stop and especially Jolly Roger with those short flippers is a very hard shot to achieve. Not so difficult to rip the spinner and get back up there on the later designs.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Keep in mind, just cause a game looks like a game don't mean any particular designer had anything to do with it.

No doubt about that. Compare the layout of Magic Clock designed by Harry Mabs in 1960 to Kismet designed by Steve Kordek in 1961. I think they all worked together and shared ideas back in the day and if a layout was good, no reason it couldn't be re used or re purposed.

MC (resized).jpgMC (resized).jpg
image-13 (resized).jpgimage-13 (resized).jpg

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Wow those are practically identical.

Indeed. Who's to say Steve Kordek didn't have something to do with the original design although it was credited to Mabs. Either way that Magic Clock I own is a top player so it's no wonder they used that layout again.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

Almost like someone grabbed "the template", moved some stuff around, schlapped new paint on it and called it a day!

That's why I mentiond Norm Clark, as I think he was the Williams pioneer of that left lane back to the top and the right horseshoe lane. Jolly Roger is another great playing Clark game and that left lane is very tight on that one. We play it all the time and is very addictive. Lucky to hit that left lane once during a game as you almost have to hit it on the fly.

image-5 (resized).jpgimage-5 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Saint Petersburg, FL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-designed-aztec?tu=o-din and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.