(Topic ID: 143427)

Who Collects Hot Wheels 1:64th Scale Cars?

By swinks

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Bax1
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200925_180030894 (resized).jpg
Lamborghini (resized).jpg
s2zl1h (resized).jpg
24ersyb (resized).jpg
1fd0ea (resized).jpg
HW-Recent_(resized).JPG
HW-Racks_(resized).JPG
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
625x465_4095566_13189458_1448878665.jpg
625x465_4074948_13107200_1448878079.png
625x465_4075040_13107272_1448877693.png
625x465_2839603_7589159_1448878242.jpg
ClubKitBox.jpg
clubcars2.jpg
P1110183.jpg
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

I have always enjoyed Hot Wheels cars since being a kid but reliving by introducing my son and daughter to it now and now have a large bucket full. There are some cool cars and is a cheap hobby - buy one for the kids and one for me

Just discovered that you can buy from ebay Hot Wheels Sealed Cases (of 72 cars) and seems to be a big thing in the US but not cheap to send to Aus.

Found this guy that does lots of unboxing of the different coded boxes, time trials
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBvkY-xwhU0Wwkt005XYyLQ

Could only find one outlet in Aus selling sealed boxes so ordered a 2014 Case P for xmas for the kids.

Anyone else into collecting Hot Wheels, and slightly pinball related - Hot Wheels could be a cool pin with orange wireforms.

#2 8 years ago

I've noticed some distributors / sellers (maybe it was on ebay) advertising they'll include the Enterprise and Vengeance Hot Wheels to include as playfield additions. Where do they put those? Seems a little tacky, but I'm curious to see pics how it works out.

I'll look through the racks sometimes to see if there's something different like that and pic them up. I still need the battle-damaged Enterprise. I'll also pick up some classic race ones like the Ford GT-40 and other Le Mans stuff, some classic hot rods like Shelby and Corvette, some super cars I've seen on Top Gear, some TV-related ones like the Classic Batmobile, and uhmm, yeah, anything I can get my hands on. Not really... they have to be based on real cars or at least TV show cars.

Which ones do you like?

#3 8 years ago

I think putting hotwheels in a pin is bordering a little tacky as just too small, maybe the jada scale if it suits the game. The exception would be a hotwheel pinball, wire form ramps could be coated orange and could be a sweet game.

As for my collecting - I have been selective on anything beach / surf related for the last 12 years, so a couple a year but the last 2 years been getting some classic american muscle cars from the 60's and 70's and anything that looks cool. All the american muscle is ripped out of the packets and played with by the kids.

#4 8 years ago

One of the few toys that I kept from my youth is my hot wheels collection from the late 60's. I have two regular size ralley cases and one large ralley case full of cars. They got played a lot so they aren't in the greatest shape. I have another case full of Match Box cars but the Hot Wheels are way cooler.

#5 8 years ago

I have some older Matchbox cars I am trying to get some idea of what they are worth for an older relative. if anyone can help, hit me up. I also have some of the king size as well.

#6 8 years ago

I collect one. The Johnny Lightning 1970 Yellow Corvette that was used for a few different sets.

They used my actual 1970 Corvette for the picture and to model it from.

s-l500.jpgs-l500.jpg

#7 8 years ago

This thread got me to dig out my totes and all the ones still in bags from shopping trips piled up in the closet (laid out on table).

I used to have a lot more but had to sell off years ago when I needed the money.

Mostly Hot Wheels and some others like Johnny Lightning, M2 etc. I buy mostly muscle and movie/tv cars but also have some odd ball stuff.

IMG_1743.jpgIMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1749.jpgIMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1748.jpgIMG_1748.jpg

#8 8 years ago

Most of the ones I have are of the Panoz race cars: GTR-1 and LMP-1. Even used them on table centerpiece for a wedding reception. I do few others like the Superbird and Corvettes. (not pictured). Also I have 1/32 Panoz slot cars. All because I bought a 2001 Panoz Esperante'.

panoz_002.jpgpanoz_002.jpg

panoz_004.jpgpanoz_004.jpg

panoz_005.jpgpanoz_005.jpg

835e_4.jpg835e_4.jpg

833b_4.jpg833b_4.jpg

#9 8 years ago

I used to. I have a collection that spans from '68 to '93, basically the first 25 years. I have a bunch of stuff after that, but not organized. I haven't bought anything in a looooong time.

Here's a small sample. It's always fun to open a case full of redlines.

20151114_213121.jpg20151114_213121.jpg

#10 8 years ago

I've got a ton of hot wheels I need to sell. I have games waiting to come in the basement so it's either the hot wheels collection or the games. Hmmmm

#11 8 years ago

some nice collections there - thanks for sharing, I better get a few snaps soon to add here

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

I've got a ton of hot wheels I need to sell. I have games waiting to come in the basement so it's either the hot wheels collection or the games. Hmmmm

any beach surf ones

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

I might be interested in some, any pics?

Anyone else notice there's a lot of Michigan collectors here?

#14 8 years ago

Cool thread. My sons 3rd bday is coming up next week and I decided to get him some hot whelels race tracks and some cars to run on them....he's been getting into that stuff lately and I wanted to get him started on the "cool" toys. I have a small set of old cars from when I was younger and I think I'm more excited to play with this stuff than he is

#15 8 years ago

Most of my stuff I am selling will be 2013-2015 stuff. I have a tom of batman stuff treasure hunts and a couple supers

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I have a collection that spans from '68 to '93,

The originals were released in '68 but some of the early cars are dated 1967 as when they were designed. My first Hot Wheels item that I got when I was 5 was one of these pop up houses. Probably one of the first accessories they offered. Later came suoer chargers, zopters, sizzlers, and even the hot line train. We had track running everywhere.
HW.jpgHW.jpg

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

one of these pop up houses

Never have seen those before. My Brother and I had Redlines with the wheels worn to the line. Lots of fun! We had at least 150 feet of track. Smashing them was the best. I also had the set with the gliders that launched from special cars. Years of memories.

#18 8 years ago

The Mongoose and Snake drag set was my pride and joy...

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Years of memories.

You mean like X-mas time in 1969?

x-mas1969.jpgx-mas1969.jpg

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You mean like X-mas time in 1969?

1969, 1970, 1971, 1972. Total Hot wheels Christmas gifts. The Police Chase set was $27.00 in 1971, I bought with my weekly allowance. 14 weeks to save up for it. Then the Sizzlers came out and that put Hot Wheels over the top.

#21 8 years ago

very cool o-din

still have some of those sweeping corners

I remember in primary school (when we were around 8), all the boys brought their top car and their was a 1 foot wide concrete box drain about 10 metres long with no grate on top and raced 6 cars at a time

#22 8 years ago

I sent my money in and joined the "hot Wheels club". I got decals/sticker badge ect. and a note promising the "BOSS HOSS MUSTANG" in a few weeks because demand out ran supply. I NEVER GOT MY BOSS HOSS!

#23 8 years ago

I don't collect them per se or at least I don't go out of my way for them. I would like one day to get the orange Royal Flash and the playset I had when I was a kid. Otherwise I have a couple Countach ones and I did buy the two Lotus Esprit ones that came out recently. One is red and one is white from James Bond.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I sent my money in and joined the "hot Wheels club". I got decals/sticker badge ect. and a note promising the "BOSS HOSS MUSTANG" in a few weeks because demand out ran supply. I NEVER GOT MY BOSS HOSS!

They were selling those Hot Wheels club kits at a local toy store so I got one for a birthday present. Much to my dismay I opened it up and found a Heavy Chevy instead. But there was a lot of other neat stuff in that box.

BossHoss.jpgBossHoss.jpg

#25 8 years ago

finally had a chance to snap a few pics of the ones handy - still have a heap in the attic (all surf ones)

kids collection - we love our cars and they are just for playing with
P1110187.JPGP1110187.JPG
P1110188.JPGP1110188.JPG

movie / tv show cars
P1110183.JPGP1110183.JPG

surf / beach cars
P1110185.JPGP1110185.JPG

some US muscle but most end up in the kids collection
P1110186.JPGP1110186.JPG

just some cool cars
P1110184.JPGP1110184.JPG

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Yep. I got a BOSS HOSS and that large product booklet with the club.

So Odin. Heavy Chevy, and a 'Kuda were also Club Cars. All 3 of them were Chrome Editions.

clubcars2.jpgclubcars2.jpg

#27 8 years ago

That figures. They sent all the Boss Hoss's to Canada.

#28 8 years ago

A few years back a local vintage toy store had an unopened Hot Wheels club kit for sale for around $300. I decided it was not worth chancing again. They did advertise it would come with a Boss Hoss Silver Special. And by the way, what is that kid holding in his hand?

ClubKitBox.jpgClubKitBox.jpg

#29 8 years ago

$300 is a little steep for nostalgia. I've seen near mint Boss Hoss sell for $35.00. That Jacket Patch was cool too. The product brochure was printed with quality photos and high grade paper, it was, slick, neat-o, and cool man.

#30 8 years ago

We even got to learn who Dan Gurney was.

#31 8 years ago

the pics of the redline chrome cars brought back memories, couldn't resist and got a NIB odds redline chrome, need to find a exposed engine car now..

also anyone have a spare Dukes of Hazzard

1 week later
#32 8 years ago

for those interested I have a few different custom hotwheels things at Shapeways - 20% off and free shipping for a few hours

https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=swinkshotwheels&sort=newest

car weapons I designed for a game a bit over a year ago
625x465_2839603_7589159_1448878242.jpg625x465_2839603_7589159_1448878242.jpg

hoist base plate for the plastic prints
625x465_4075040_13107272_1448877693.png625x465_4075040_13107272_1448877693.png

hoist
625x465_4074948_13107200_1448878079.png625x465_4074948_13107200_1448878079.png

dyno
625x465_4095566_13189458_1448878665.jpg625x465_4095566_13189458_1448878665.jpg

1 week later
#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

I have some older Matchbox cars I am trying to get some idea of what they are worth for an older relative. if anyone can help, hit me up. I also have some of the king size as well.

Can anyone help me?

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

Can anyone help me?

There are some online price sources for Matchbox cars, such as the following: http://realpriceguides.com/matchbox/matchbox.asp

However, the prices listed in almost all price guides I've seen are for mint condition cars, and any scratches, damage, and/or missing pieces severly knocks the price down. Vintage Matchbox cars also came in a storage box with the picture of the vehicle and name on it. Check to see if any prices listed are with or without the box. Collectors of these cars would obviously value the original box. On top of the condition thing, determining actual prices you can realistically sell these for comes down to the old supply and demand rules.

#36 8 years ago

Got my son this set up for his bday.....tracks are fun!!

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#37 8 years ago

Oh and I found my old collection of cars in this matchbox wheel.....front row is all hot wheels, second row is matchbox and the small back row is no namers. These are all 70's models.....seems as that's when I was into them for a bit.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#38 8 years ago

Did you guys catch the show on Discovery's "Fast and Loud"? It's a special episode titled "Hot Wheels, Big Deals". They visit the Hot Wheels studio and will build a '68 'vette for Hot Wheels to make into a toy car.

I missed it earlier and I just started watching the repeat tonight, looks good.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

Did you guys catch the show on Discovery's "Fast and Loud"? It's a special episode titled "Hot Wheels, Big Deals". They visit the Hot Wheels studio and will build a '68 'vette for Hot Wheels to make into a toy car.
I missed it earlier and I just started watching the repeat tonight, looks good.

thanks for the heads about the episode, found a link for the preview

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/56478/fast-n-loud-discovery-channel-mega-week-special-hot-wheels-video/

being in Aus, we won't get this for a 1-2 years, does anyone know of any internet links to watch on line..... please

#40 8 years ago

It's on youtube but they charge $1.99 to view it. Can't find any free sources right now.

#41 8 years ago

I've sold lot's of them over the years from different collections I've came across. I had like 50 some mint redlines a few months ago

I know a lot about the redlines and old matchbox, I enjoy learning about them and other diecast.

my nephew on the other hand has way more then I had as a kid. he's nuts about them

#42 8 years ago

if you have any mint redlines let me know

#43 8 years ago

now on youtube for free, thanks again for the heads up

#44 8 years ago

OH BOY! Matchbox is going to put Fast and Loud on the map. After spending $100K to sponsor NHRA Top Fuel car , a Major Flop...DNQ in Dallas.

#45 8 years ago

finally finishing watching that episode, great looking car, really enjoyed watching thanks again for the heads up

1 week later
#46 8 years ago

Is there a place to send older cars to to get the wheels/axels fixed up?? I wanted to let my lil one play with my old collection but most of them have bent axels and/or dicked over wheels. So they aren't really playable if I can't even get them moving.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Is there a place to send older cars to to get the wheels/axels fixed up?? I wanted to let my lil one play with my old collection but most of them have bent axels and/or dicked over wheels. So they aren't really playable if I can't even get them moving.

You might have to buy a few new cars..about $1.00 at Target

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

You might have to buy a few new cars..about $1.00 at Target

That is an option. Thanks dude.

#49 8 years ago

I would think that would be about the only option considering what they cost new. Maybe if it was some rare car you could spend the money to get them fixed but to just get played with again you'll end up spending more than a whole new fleet of cars. Plus your kid with get the fun of opening them up too.

#50 8 years ago

I have a thousand plus new Hot Wheels. Stopped collecting about 20 years ago so nothing recent. I wish I could find someone interested in buying.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-collects-hot-wheels-164th-scale-cars and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.