(Topic ID: 261525)

Who buys the majority of new Pins, Op's or Home use?

By MK6PIN

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Coindork
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why do you buy machines?”

• Purchased for home use only 90 votes
      85%
    • Purchased for commercial use 16 votes
      15%

(106 votes)

#1 4 years ago

Added a poll. Curious for opinions....I've never owed a route, so really don't know.

#2 4 years ago

Used to be route, nowadays its the home collector barcade.

#3 4 years ago

It does tend to bring a new perspective on why many machines have gone through the VE process and still have done fine.

I've read arguments that Op's don't care as much about quality, as they buy them, make money, then throw them away to replace. A home machine may see quite a bit of use, but would generally be better-maintained w less abuse.

So of course if manufacturers see this, then a " lesser" game could be offered for more $$$...maybe more bells and whistles, but longevity under route use not a concern.

You wonder when a true "HUO" machine would be coming, with no coin mechs ( on purpose)?

Odin got me thinking about this last night (yes, I have no life) when he disagreed w people calling pinball machines "toys" in another thread.

I think his point was very valid, yet many that own these things now only see the money slot as a nostalgic carryover.

Wandering thoughts before I go to work....

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

You wonder when a true "HUO" machine would be coming, with no coin mechs ( on purpose)?

Stern Spiderman - Home Edition, I don't think it sold too well.

Quoted from MK6PIN:

odin got me thinking about this last night (yes, I have no life) when he disagreed w people calling pinball machines "toys" in another thread.
    I think his point was very valid, yet many that own these things now only see the money slot as a nostalgic carryover.

More of a hobby than a toy collection ... just like many analogies could be made. But could just be considered toys by some, I can see their point.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Stern Spiderman - Home Edition, I don't think it sold too well.

Forgot about that one...Never paid much attention to it..

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

More of a hobby than a toy collection ... just like many analogies could be made. But could just be considered toys by some, I can see their point.

Agreed

#7 4 years ago

I've almost never seen a newer pin out in the wild.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from jcar302:

I've almost never seen a newer pin out in the wild.

It must just be where you reside. I am only one of dozens of locations within the SF Bay Area that has most of the new pins. You can literally drive within a 20 mile radius from my place and play every new pinball machine from almost every manufacturer. It is a densely populated area.

From what I understand, the home buyer's are currently out-weighing us operators.

#9 4 years ago

This is primarily a collector forum so the results will lean that way.

I do think about how we're always seeing Gary Stern at industry shows all over the world, and he's not there for collectors, so the operators are still a big market.

#10 4 years ago

There are a lot of places in NYC and Brooklyn that have tons of new pins on location. Unfortunately for me i live on the island and its about 45-1h drive for me. There are no places on the island that you can play pinball (that i have found).

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

This is primarily a collector forum so the results will lean that way.
    I do think about how we're always seeing Gary Stern at industry shows all over the world, and he's not there for collectors, so the operators are still a big market.

Makes sense, and Pinside is only a single lens to look at this through.

I've seen and played many newer games on location when I travel, but " seems" the # would pale compared to those that buy for home use. Guess it depends if location play is rising or falling...Idk...

#12 4 years ago

According to Stern it is about 50-50.(George Gomez)

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bundy:

Interesting

#14 4 years ago

It was in a video here on Pinside. He was talking in front of a group of people about the creative process making a pinball machine.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bundy:

They always say 50-50 collector/hobbyist and 50-50 NA/International, but I have a hard time believing either - especially that 50% go overseas. That would mean only 25% of machines are going to NA collectors. My guess is that they are generous with their rounding and/or the figures don't reflect increased Premium/LE sales in recent years.

#16 4 years ago

What percentage made ships out of the US?

What does the scene look like in Europe for location Play?

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

They always say 50-50 collector/hobbyist and 50-50 NA/International, but I have a hard time believing either - especially that 50% go overseas. That would mean only 25% of machines are going to NA collectors. My guess is that they are generous with their rounding and/or the figures don't reflect increased Premium/LE sales in recent years.

"generous" would not be the term I'd use...I think it's hard to get anything really factual about pinball #'s, rhyme or reason, actually. Easily the most "cloak and dagger" hobby I've ever been in.

Have no idea why....

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

great add to my ask.....

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Gary Stern mentioned that number in a Pinburgh presentation back in 2018. I think he said it was about 40% or so (Someone would have to search for it). NASCAR didn't sell well because it is not popular internationally, so they re-skinned it to be Grand Prix to try to sell some more internationally. Sports themes in general don't sell well.

Some interesting stuff in that presentation - like they will never do a wide body pin again.

Jack from Jersey Jack said in one of his presentations at one of the shows that international sales was a pretty significant chunk (if I remember right it was above 30%).

#20 4 years ago

I started in this hobby at an early age (14) and back then, circa. 1978, nearly ALL pins sold were to the ops. When I would go to my local operator to buy new, he always thought I was nuts! I bought my 1st Space Invaders from him and since I wasn't old enough to drive, he had it delivered. He would actually call me to tell me when something new from Bally or Williams was coming out and he'd offer me HUGE discounts. Keep in mind, there was no other forum to find out what was coming up next. I think it was somewhere around mid-late 1980's that homeowners started buying from ops and probably well into the 2000's that it flipped more in the homeowners/ops favor.
    Sadly, with that also come the loss of "commercial quality". Most pins today are really just big toys for the home arcade with the "quality" to match.

#21 4 years ago

No option for me to pick, I do both.
    Buy for home and location.
    Pretty much LE's when I do.

#22 4 years ago

If you click on the “Macines” tab at the top of the page it shows you the number of locations that have each machine VS pinside members that own the machine.

It’s prettty interesting.
    By that data I would say the home market is bigger than the market for games on location. Especially so for higher end models.

I suppose you have to take that data with a grain of salt as not all home use models are sold to pinside users.
    Then again I would think that most locations get listed that are route games. I know I pretty regularly update locations when I’m out and about.
    Either way I think with newer games it seems like more are going to the home market.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-buys-the-majority-of-new-pins-op-s-or-home-use?hl=greenhornet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.