Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by hockeymag8
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I'm just curious. I was thinking as I read the "What machine did you bring home today" thread, who are you guys selling machines too? I know the simple answer is anyone with money that wants a machine, but that's not what I mean. I kind of assume once machines are found by pinsiders they kind of move around within the pin community here. This is a question for distributors as well. What percentage of people you sell to are already pin heads and what percentage are people breaking in to the hobby? I kind of assume more of the classic games stay in the community and maybe a higher percentage of new games are selling to people breaking in.

#2 3 years ago

I sell them to the person offering the most money. As soon as they start dicking down the price which I offer which is below fleabay prices and I disclose game conditions honestly, I give them one chance and say if you want to work out a deal by buying more than one, let's talk. As soon as they just want to lower the price on one game, I say we're done here, GTFO.

#3 3 years ago

When I sold most of my collection off over the summer, it was a mix of long time collectors, those in the hobby a few years and newbies acquiring a first pin.

#4 3 years ago

Selling pins? You can sell them? Hmm.

#5 3 years ago

I find that they fall into tiers:

New/newer games - seasoned collectors mostly, but sometimes newer collectors with lots of money that just want something with little to no maintenance.

Mid-tier games - this largely depends on price, but it is often newish collectors upgrading games or someone just wanting that specific title.

Lower-end/low-priced games - brand new collectors.

EMs - nostalgic collectors, those without much money, or occasionally someone looking to have multi-era representation in their collection.

Projects - seasoned sellers/restorers or collectors without much money that are looking to "learn."

I have sold to all.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Selling pins? You can sell them? Hmm.

I always said I'd never sell any of them. I'll keep them all. Then I sold one, it was easy and refreshing to clear up space. More have gone and more are going. Need to purge for a move.

#7 3 years ago

The last time I sold a pin to a newbie was a Shaq Attaq almost 10 years ago now. Nowadays it's mostly an inner circle group of players and collectors. When I want (need) to sell a game, there are certain people I contact that will have the cash, show up when they say, not nitpick the game, not beat me up on price and/or waste my time. It goes both ways too, as there are people who will reach out to me because they know it will be an easy sale for the same reasons. I very rarely ever publicly post a game for sale because I usually sell for at or below market value without a bunch of up charged mods on my games, so the price is right for most buyers. I prefer an easy transaction so I don't mind not squeezing every dime out of my games and it makes it easier when I buy them from sellers who feel the same way when they are selling them to me. It's a win/win situation all around.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I find that they fall into tiers:
    New/newer games - seasoned collectors mostly, but sometimes newer collectors with lots of money that just want something with little to no maintenance.
    Mid-tier games - this largely depends on price, but it is often newish collectors upgrading games or someone just wanting that specific title.
    Lower-end/low-priced games - brand new collectors.
    EMs - nostalgic collectors, those without much money, or occasionally someone looking to have multi-era representation in their collection.
    Projects - seasoned sellers/restorers or collectors without much money that are looking to "learn."
    I have sold to all.

I like how at the Sevierville Auction this weekend there were four Wilms/Wimi Bingo pins. Two appeared to be working and two only had GI lit. They started at $200.00 for your choice and you could buy all four for $200.00 apiece. Price went down to $10.00 apiece and then $10.00 for all four! Ended with Free for all four to one person who agreed to haul them out. I love Bingo pins and would have bought the two working ones for $10.00 apiece. Problem is I'd end up divorced.....

#9 3 years ago

I've sold mostly to other enthusiasts. I have sold two pins to new to pinball owners, one was a Jumping Jack EM that the woman said her father used to have at their house and she had been wanting one for her kids and the other was a Data East Jurassic Park a guy bought about a year ago for his kids for Christmas. I don't buy and sell a ton though, I do a few resto projects and my collection is pretty small and stable.

#10 3 years ago

I usually sell to people I know. It’s just easier. They know me, and they’ve probably played the game in my house before. I did recently sell one to someone I didn’t know... until he and host wife showed up in my driveway and we all recognized each other.

I like easy sales. I also like knowing there aren’t going to be issues with the sale. Friends just make that happen. If there’s an issue in the game, it will be disclosed. If something isn’t working, I’ll probably just come over (pre-pandemic), and fix it because they are already my friend. Everybody’s happy.

#11 3 years ago

Anyone who is far removed from the hierarchical cliquism of the domestic pinball forums down here. It's been a strict policy for me for the last decade with my pinball importation business.

If we ever hope to catch up to the pinball communities in the Northern Hemisphere then we need diversity rather than more mindless drones within the local hobby in Australia and this is the best way to do it.

#12 3 years ago

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm not looking to sell anything. I'm just curious. I got my first machine in 1983 or so and kick myself for the ones I've sold and for not buying more when they were still reasonable!

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm not looking to sell anything. I'm just curious. I got my first machine in 1983 or so and kick myself for the ones I've sold and for not buying more when they were still reasonable!

I would love to have 100 pins if I could, but realistically...space and money come into play. Of course, it would be a real pain to maintain that many as well. If they become more of a chore than a fun getaway, it's time to re-assess.

I really think it's important to decide on which ones you truly like the most and find a way to work on getting those.

#14 3 years ago

Who are you selling your machines *to

(Whomever offers me the most money, although I usually will try to keep a sale local if possible)

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

would be a real pain to maintain that many as well. I

I find that once I go completely over a game then it tends to be super stable.

That said, I am nearing 100 and plan to trim some fat in the coming year as I solidify my new space and room.

#16 3 years ago

To answer the question, I sell to all walks.

I find that complete noobs and the nit picky collectors that don’t know how to change a lightbulb can be a pita, but my least favorite is the full time flippers.

Had a guy recent say he wanted a game then then tried to negotiate an extra $250 off after making arrangements to come get it. Those are the ones I stear clear of for good.

Prefer to sell to collectors of similar mindset to me.

#17 3 years ago

I hardly sell pinballs anymore but when I do it’s usually to those who are new to pinball/ non enthusiasts or pinsiders.

I know that sounds something similar to a beer commercial but it’s true.

It’s not deliberate it’s just what happens. I usually offer a hand if they need it as a kindness. That way if a wire comes off or something easily fixed keeps a good taste in their mouth about pinball.

#18 3 years ago

I prefer to sell to those with wanted ads for the game I am selling and that have good feedback and recent pinside activity. I figure if they posted the ad they must seriously want the game.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-are-you-selling-your-machines-too and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.