Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Your favorite pinball artist”

• JohnYoussi 21 votes
      20%
    • Gordon Morison 16 votes
      15%
    • Greg Freres 14 votes
      13%
    • Kevin O’Connor 10 votes
      10%
    • Dave Christensen 15 votes
      14%
    • Paul Faris 17 votes
      16%
    • Doug Watson 2 votes
      2%
    • Roy Parker 6 votes
      6%
    • Margaret Hudson 4 votes
      4%

(105 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-3 (resized).jpg
    D451416F-A708-41FB-B73A-486F902A571E (resized).jpeg
    78A76BAD-58FC-41F1-A44B-9C2F999E860D (resized).jpeg
    ShipAhoy (resized).jpg
    gcHM5zF (resized).jpg
    DD0D5CFD-7C2F-424F-82A4-EFAF0357DFEF (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20140601_002041 (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpeg
    62959268-6F85-42E6-9E7E-30BCDA577622 (resized).jpeg
    paragon_original.png
    22532051_1789092724448253_511388596_o.jpg
    20170305_180101 (resized).jpg
    Old Chicago (resized).jpg
    9B1B72B6-FF2B-4569-99F2-98FBEC6F71A0 (resized).jpeg
    205A0EE3-2424-47C5-8F32-4C194D2F00C6 (resized).jpeg
    There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 6 years ago

The Stern Trifecta: Yeti, Donny, Franchi

#52 6 years ago

Surprised Doug Watson only has 1 vote: BK2K, Swords of Fury, AFM, many more...

#53 6 years ago

There are many great artists but also some really bad ones. Paul Faris just feels like pinball. I'm not a Python Anghelo fan. Case in point, the Grand Lizard preproduction backglass by Faris vs the production backglass by Anghelo. Nick from Buffalo Pinball said it best when he said Anghelo's version looks like something a junior high student would draw on his Trapper Keeper. Faris' version actually makes me want to play the game.

04D36821-6804-43EE-BC4C-2655D4BE13B9 (resized).jpeg04D36821-6804-43EE-BC4C-2655D4BE13B9 (resized).jpeg

CC8DC020-7ACF-45BD-BA21-16BE6BEBD82F (resized).pngCC8DC020-7ACF-45BD-BA21-16BE6BEBD82F (resized).png

#54 6 years ago

Just curious, for all the Dave Christensen fans out there, which is your favorite backglass of his? And why?

#55 6 years ago

Dick White
    Quite a few memorable titles and worked right beside many of the others or long before them.

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheBigDog:

Just curious, for all the Dave Christensen fans out there, which is your favorite backglass of his? And why?

BiggusDickus (resized).jpgBiggusDickus (resized).jpg

#57 6 years ago

Multi-mode flame war stacking: flaming about how it's all subjective and then flaming about artists that should have been included stacked on top!

Molentin just has to be in the poll for it to have any shred of plausibility. Let's not forget Jerry Kelley, who was very influential. And Fukuoka, McMahon, Sprenger, and White have their fans. Anyone for George Opperman, who got to design a "corporate style" for all Atari products?

Regarding Christian Marche, there is the issue of whether an artist's bad work has to count against them, or are we talking about what the artist can do when at their best? If you look at all of Marche's pinball work (see Appendix E of the Mr. Pinball Price Guide), you can see that he was quite versatile.
    .................David Marston

#58 6 years ago

Lots of great artists that embody pinball! My vote is for Paul Faris!

754B5645-7DD7-4882-BCA6-86C4D74204D1 (resized).jpeg754B5645-7DD7-4882-BCA6-86C4D74204D1 (resized).jpeg

205A0EE3-2424-47C5-8F32-4C194D2F00C6 (resized).jpeg205A0EE3-2424-47C5-8F32-4C194D2F00C6 (resized).jpeg

9B1B72B6-FF2B-4569-99F2-98FBEC6F71A0 (resized).jpeg9B1B72B6-FF2B-4569-99F2-98FBEC6F71A0 (resized).jpeg

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheBigDog:

There are four reasons why Old Chicago is my favorite Dave Christensen backglass.

Old Chicago (resized).jpgOld Chicago (resized).jpg

#60 6 years ago

Gordon Morison (Genie)

20170305_180101 (resized).jpg20170305_180101 (resized).jpg

#61 6 years ago

Wow. Genie and old Chicago are 2 great back to back additions to this thread. I love art like that.
    One of my favorite things about pinball art isn’t just the great artistic ability to capture the game, but the creativity that puts you in the middle of a story, and leaves you guessing what happened before, but more importantly what’s about to happen. There is a well known piece I have (by a well known artist) that really captures this moment. I recently acquired it and couldn’t be happier.

#62 6 years ago

I going to add a second poll, who should have been included... stay tuned.

#63 6 years ago

Couldn’t figure out how to add a second poll to the same thread, so here’s the link.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-pinball-artists-second-poll

#64 6 years ago

All time: Gordon Morrison
    Modern era: Margaret Hudson

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheBigDog:

Does anyone have any original artwork from these great artists?

Bad pic, but hey its hard to take a picture of a 40" painting

https://i.imgur.com/TzMkxhU.jpg

Edit - found another pic, a little better

https://i.imgur.com/BqY7bDW.jpg

its too big for a decent picture to really be possible.

#66 6 years ago

I will provide a few tidbits of artwork history and knowledge.
    Here is one of Fukuoka's original sketch sets he did for personal sales from Breakshot concept art.
    From from a friend.

22532051_1789092724448253_511388596_o.jpg22532051_1789092724448253_511388596_o.jpg

#67 6 years ago

The ORIGINAL Paragon oil painting still owned by Paul Faris.
    I still don't think his wife is very prudent on her posing for the painting.
    The production backglass image is nowhere near as crisp and vibrant in comparison due to use of the Bally trademarked four color ink screening printing process that was used to make the glasses at this point in time of pinball production.

paragon_original.pngparagon_original.png

#68 6 years ago

No production copy of anything is ever 1/10 as good as the real thing, agreed. They are a sight to behold in person. There’s a wonderful pic of Paul with some of his other work on the net that I’ll link later. I own a couple of his originals that he did for Taito, a video game company, that I can post later also

#69 6 years ago

There are just so many great pinball artist, but Python holds a special place for me. His art, his concepts/vision, and even his personality were just so genuinely unique. That dude was an absolute treasure.

#70 6 years ago

Python Anghelo is my fav.

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

The ORIGINAL Paragon oil painting still owned by Paul Faris.

Wow, I’m still waiting to get ahold of a reproduction Backglass of Paragon. That painting is amazing. Does Faris attend any of the Expo’s. It’d be fun to meet him someday and maybe get something signed. Thanks for sharing those originals!

Breakshot is GREAT too!

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheBigDog:

Wow, I’m still waiting to get ahold of a reproduction Backglass of Paragon. That painting is amazing. Does Faris attend any of the Expo’s. It’d be fun to meet him someday and maybe get something signed. Thanks for sharing those originals!
    Breakshot is GREAT too!

Yes he is!

#75 6 years ago

Christopher Franchi has my full attention right now. His work is just stunning.

#76 6 years ago

I don't know anything about Christopher, but when I googled his name this came up right away http://megomuseum.com/community/showthread.php?99228-This-is-why-I-hate-digital-art and its hard to compare digital art to handpainted. You probably like how smooth and slick his work looks, well, that's as a result of working with digital tools and not something specific really to Christopher. FWIW.

#77 6 years ago

I love this stuff. Was this at an expo? Does he bring originals to Chicago? Texas?

If only they could do reproductions off the original art...

#78 6 years ago

Paul Farris and Stan Fukuoka are incredible artists.

Don't forget Markus Rothkranz

#79 6 years ago

Tiny body of work in pinball, but I really enjoy the couple backglasses Keith Parkinson did (Iron Maiden (1981) & Python).

I also like John Youssi and was lucky enough to buy the original Medieval Madness painting

[img]https://i.imgur.com/LshYTr2.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/EvDm133.jpg[/img]

#80 6 years ago

I give up. How does one link an image here (not attach but have it come up direct in the message?)

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheBigDog:

I love this stuff. Was this at an expo? Does he bring originals to Chicago? Texas?

What would the point of that be? Reproductions would still look like reproductions.

I think that was a show in Chicago. Years ago.

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheBigDog:

Paul Feris is the Pintastic New England Artist for 2018. He is currently working on the poster and T shirt design. He will also be st the show doing a seminar and multiple autograph signing sessions.

#83 6 years ago

Molentin
    Kelley
    Morison
    Marche
    Christensen
    Faris
    Freres
    Youssi
    Packer
    Franchi
    While often hopeless, the Mitchells did pull off an occasional success.
    Favorite Christensen = Voltan, though Old Chicago is right up there.

Added over 6 years ago: Also: Watson

#84 6 years ago

Bronty: sounds like you have, and have seen some nice originals!

Dannunz: thanks for the info, I'm not close to MA, but I don't need much of an excuse to visit MA, that would be fun!

#85 6 years ago

This is an original Christensen piece from 1977. Part of a portfolio of different options submitted for game artwork, this is one that was not selected for production. I’m not sure what game was the winner here, may have even been another artists work that was chosen.

62959268-6F85-42E6-9E7E-30BCDA577622 (resized).jpeg62959268-6F85-42E6-9E7E-30BCDA577622 (resized).jpeg

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from SergioJ:

This is an original Christensen piece from 1977. Part of a portfolio of different options submitted for game artwork, this is one that was not selected for production. I’m not sure what game was the winner here, may have even been another artists work that was chosen.

Beautiful. Mad Dog needs to get back in the game. Please post more if you have them.

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Beautiful. Mad Dog needs to get back in the game

Yes, keep them coming!
    Just Curious, where did the nickname “mad dog” come from?

#88 6 years ago

Paul Faris does it for me.

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg

#89 6 years ago

And Dave Christensen

Unknown (resized).jpegUnknown (resized).jpeg

#90 6 years ago

My main man G-Mo!

IMG_20140601_002041 (resized).jpgIMG_20140601_002041 (resized).jpg

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Beautiful. Mad Dog needs to get back in the game. Please post more if you have them.

Here’s another one from the same group. Not as sexy as the first one, but interesting in that it has that “you are part of the action in the scene” perspective as opposed to just a painted scene, similar to what you see later in the artwork of High Speed. This one has also always reminded me a bit of Eight Ball Deluxe, but that probably the colors and the scroll work around the edges.

DD0D5CFD-7C2F-424F-82A4-EFAF0357DFEF (resized).jpegDD0D5CFD-7C2F-424F-82A4-EFAF0357DFEF (resized).jpeg

#92 6 years ago

nice!

#93 6 years ago

Here's the pencil draft for Addams. Doesn't come across in the pics but its about the same size as the backglass roughly

[img]https://i.imgur.com/gcHM5zF.jpg[/img]

#94 6 years ago

can someone help me out with what tags are necessary to embed pics in posts on this forum? My go to "[img] [/img] " doesn't work here..

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bronty:

can someone help me out with what tags are necessary to embed pics in posts on this forum? My go to "[img] [/img] " doesn't work here..

LTG : )

gcHM5zF (resized).jpggcHM5zF (resized).jpg

#96 6 years ago

Curtis Preuss' Father

Disclaimer : Ladies were naked but Curtis' Mother didn't approve.

ShipAhoy (resized).jpgShipAhoy (resized).jpg

#97 6 years ago

thank you, but how is it done? (for future reference )

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bronty:

thank you, but how is it done?

Hand painted. ( game was converted to solid state )

#99 6 years ago

It’s very nice, but I mean how to embed the image? I can’t seem to find on FAQs and you did it for me but I don’t know how to do next time.

So that machine is something you did yourself? Kudos if so. How long did it take you?

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bronty:

It’s very nice, but I mean how to embed the image? I can’t seem to find on FAQs and you did it for me but I don’t know how to do next time.
    So that machine is something you did yourself? Kudos if so. How long did it take you?

Don't use [IMG], just click on the "Attach image(s)..." button beneath the reply box.

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-are-the-best-pinball-artists/page/2?hl=bronty and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.