Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FE0CE15E-AAB2-44D5-A207-D6BF32EC6C3A (resized).jpeg
95EB32E6-3E2F-4CC0-BFA5-22D0E512A31A (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

Since I bought my Whitewater a few months ago, the upper GI has never worked. I traced the wires back to each socket and the connectivity appears good. When I turn the game on the 5 amp fuse blows immediately. Something that was strange was that the J121 and the J120 plugs were reversed even though the game played normally. Nothing changed when I swapped them back.

When I bought the game, one of the GI sockets on the upper play field had been removed (had black like burning marks around where the socket had been), and the wire twisted together and wrapped with electrical tape. I have since added and soldered the socket back in. Any ideas where I should look next?

On the pictures, fuse 109 is missing. I pulled it for another test (and fail) of the F110 fuse.

95EB32E6-3E2F-4CC0-BFA5-22D0E512A31A (resized).jpeg95EB32E6-3E2F-4CC0-BFA5-22D0E512A31A (resized).jpegFE0CE15E-AAB2-44D5-A207-D6BF32EC6C3A (resized).jpegFE0CE15E-AAB2-44D5-A207-D6BF32EC6C3A (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago

J120/121 are interchangeable and electrically identical. They were made that way so that the PF and head harnesses could be manufactured separately and then rough together at the board at final assembly.

You will need to find the shorted wire or socket. Close visual inspection is the first step. If you’ve used LEDs, they can short internally and cause this. After that, it’s a matter of removing lamp sockets from the circuit until you find the offender. I use a “binary search” technique for this.

A 5A circuit breaker with a blown fuse soldered across it will save you fuses.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#3 3 years ago

I bet you have a pinched wire under the upper play field. This happened to me. But they are very hard to get to. As it is very back corner of the game. I actually had to partially pull the pf out to get to this. If you can get to where the upper PF mounts I bet you’ll find it.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

J120/121 are interchangeable and electrically identical. They were made that way so that the PF and head harnesses could be manufactured separately and then rough together at the board at final assembly.
You will need to find the shorted wire or socket. Close visual inspection is the first step. If you’ve used LEDs, they can short internally and cause this. After that, it’s a matter of removing lamp sockets from the circuit until you find the offender. I use a “binary search” technique for this.
A 5A circuit breaker with a blown fuse soldered across it will save you fuses.

Thanks guys,

Chris, I do have LED’s installed, how do you test if those are shorted? I really did not want to take off the UP, but I think that is the next step. Also, good to know about J120/121 being he same.

#5 3 years ago

Fixed it. There was a short in one of the sockets. I think I had a bad LED that after swapping one for one, it was fixed. Thanks for the help.

#6 3 years ago

Sweet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

7,780 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Machine - For Sale
Fort Worth, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
$ 12.95
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whitewater-upper-gi-blowing-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.