Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Gumboyaya
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

My Whitewater no longer gives the second ball when whirlpool challenge begins. If it's in multiplayer mode and the second ball should come from the lock, it does give the second ball. However, when it's supposed to give the second ball on the plunger, it just gives the one ball from the lost mine.

Once and a great while, it does give the second ball on the plunger. Also I have seen it give a second ball for man-overboard and extra-ball. This never happend until the recent whirlpool challenge second ball issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

#2 8 years ago

How long does the game wait before it kicks the ball out of the lost mine at the start of whirlpool challenge?
does it wait for a ball search?

#3 8 years ago

Test the trough switches one at a time in switch test.

Empty the trough.
Add one ball to the trough. The switches should trigger: left, center, right.
Add another ball to the trough. The switches should trigger: left, center.
Add another ball to the trough. The switch should trigger: left

I would think possibly your center switch is sometimes stuck open.

#4 8 years ago

No ball search, kicks from lost mine right about when you would expect the second ball to cue on plunger.

#5 8 years ago

may need to sand down your ball trough or check optos

#6 8 years ago

How do I do that switch test?

In test mode when I add 1 ball it just triggers outhole and does not kick the ball over.

#7 8 years ago

With all 3 balls loaded, it show left, center and right closed. With 2 balls loaded it shows center and right closed.

#8 8 years ago

I'd suspect the trough switches. Particularly the center one. Although if that was the case, locking the first ball in multiball would sometimes act weird, too.

#9 8 years ago

I agree that the issue is probably in the trough, the few times it did give the 2nd ball was after I was messing around in the trough replacing the sleeves in the coils.

3-ball multiball is working perfectly, never an issue since fixing optos in no-way-out.

#10 8 years ago

Removed the metal plate to access ball trough from above. In test mode, I manualy loaded the balls one, by one and manualy ejected them one at a time...many, many times. The trough switches closed and oppened perfectly every time. Hmmmm

#11 8 years ago

A stuck switch on the playfield could possibly make the game think there's already a ball in play at the beginning of Whirlpool multiball...

I was also going to suggest testing the switches in no way out in switch test mode, but you'll probably find that they're all OK, especially since you mentioned fixing them.

#12 8 years ago

Is the shooter lane switch working properly?

#13 8 years ago

Shooter lane switch working properly.

Switch test after startup shows the following closed switches

24-always closed
61-whirlpool popper
62-whirlpool exit
63-lockup right
64-lockup center
65-lockup left
66-left ramp main
76-right trough
77-center trough
78-left trough
86-bigfoot opto 1

Does this seem correct?

Very much appreciate all the help!!!

#14 8 years ago

I doubt it's related, but where's 68-disaster drop enter. That's the opto on the right ramp entrance? I think that's the only opto you're missing. If that one is intermittent, it could be mistaken for a ball in play.

#15 8 years ago

68-disaster drop shows open. When I manualy roll a ball through the ramp it does close for an instant.

#16 8 years ago

Isn't that backwards, though?

#17 8 years ago

I have no idea and can't find any info on it. I've had the machine for 15 years and never touched that opto.

#18 8 years ago

Wow, you are certainly right. Just found a tech chart and it does say it should be normaly closed. Does not look like I can get to it without removing upper playfeild Anything I should check before I do that?

#19 8 years ago

Woohooo!!! Found you can remove opto assembly from below, and it worked properly when detached. Wiped down the optos and cleaned the exposed sides of the ramp and reassembled. The optos now show closed and second ball was served up on a couple whirlpool challenge tests. Experience tells me it's too soon to call it fixed, but it looks REALLY good! Thank you so much!!!! You sir, rock! So glad I found this site!

#20 8 years ago

Haha. The next thing I would have told you is that that opto is really easy to get to from underneath, but you figured that out.

It's definitely too early to call it fixed, but it could be. I had a blown opto there and everything actually still works 100% normally (but with a credit dot). If you didn't have a credit dot, that would probably mean that the opto is triggered intermittently. If it flickered on and off while your whirlpool multiball was trying to start, I think that's a reasonable explanation as to why the game might not serve a ball, as it thinks there's already one on the playfield.

Happy to help! I just got my Whitewater about six months ago. Installed a new playfield, all new ramps, and new boulders, so I learned a LOT in the process of doing all that.

Also... best game ever.

#21 8 years ago

So far, after many more games, it looks really good. The whirlpool challenge has given the second ball 100% of the time, joy!!!

"Best game ever", honestly I tend to agree. I have played most of the "top" games and never felt like I would trade mine for any other. The depth and advanced strategy really keeps it interesting. I've had mine almost 15 years and still find it very exciting. The vacation jackpot is so difficult to get, it always leaves me wanting to hit the start button "just one more time"!

My favorite thing about the game is that despite it's complexity, new players get right into it without the lost "what do I do now" confusion. It's incredible how straight forward it appears to new players and how complex it is for veterans. They really captured magic with this game and accompanied it with a dynamite sound track.

Congratulations on your recent wh2o aquisition, may it bring you as much joy and entertainment as it has brought me!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

17,250 (OBO)
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whitewater-single-ball-whirlpool and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.