(Topic ID: 112616)

Whitewater... right flipper use racks up points...

By benbethel

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have a Whitewater machine and in the past 2 months or so a unique problem has surfaced: when players press the right flipper continuously, the points start racking up - the machine thinks that the player is hitting the whitewater drop or other features and points just rack up... any clue what this could be? We opened it up, tightened the assembly for the right flipper, but that's all that we can see that could have been an issue and we're at a loss at this point... any help would be appreciated!

#2 9 years ago

You probably have a switch that is triggered by the flipper (gap to close). Go into the switch matrix and activate the flipper and see if any switches go off.

#3 9 years ago

It could be a mechanical problem, where the shaking caused by the flipper is enough to trigger the flipper.

It could be a wiring/diode problem where the switch matrix is doing something screwy when the cabinet flipper buttons or end of stroke switches are closed.

Switch test mode should be able to tell you which one. Remember that flipping the right flipper during the game closes four switches: two cabinet flipper switches, and one end of stroke switch for each of the right flippers.

#4 9 years ago

I agree with the two comments above. You probably have a switch on the playfield that is too sensitive and may just need some adjusting. I bet that if you bang on the playfield with your fist with the glass off, you'll see the same result in switch test mode. Just find that switch and spread the contacts a little wider apart.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from GoodToBeDad:

I bet that if you bang on the playfield with your fist with the glass off, you'll see the same result in switch test mode.

Agreed.

#6 9 years ago

Cool... thanks for the help everyone. I'm guessing that "switch matrix" means the underside of the playfield where all the switches are? I'm a dumb newbie. So far, Bride of Pinbot was my first, love it... so classic and retro-modern with great music... reminds me of riding on space mountain at disneyland for the music alone... then White Water, really, really love it except for this problem... and yesterday just ordered Wizard of Oz 75th Anniversary Version from JJP and paid for delivery before Christmas. Drove two hours to play WOZ and loved it too... I know I paid a lot but since they're now producing less 75th Anniversary versions than the LE version, I guess it'll be more limited than the limited... so maybe it'll hold some value. Now, what will the next ones be now that I'm addicted?! TZ, Indiana Jones, No Good Gofer, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Tron LE, Simpsons, Back to the Future 2015 version... who knows...

#7 9 years ago

I had the same problem with my Spidey. After I realized that I could get points just by slapping the cabinet, I found out it was an opto problem. Cheap easy fix, but problem solving none the less!

#8 9 years ago

Switch matrix is a mode in the diagnostics of the pin. When you open the coin door, there is a 4-button controller on the inside. Click the rightmost button, I think, which will open up the menu. From there, you will have access to mess with all sorts of things. You will need to find the menu which says "diagnostics" or maybe it's "tools" (again, I'm not in front of a pin right now so just using memory). After this point you will scroll through menus until you find "switch matrix." When in this menu, pushing on any switch will make a "bleep" sound and it will show up on the DMD and tell you what you just pressed. Try hitting a flipper button in the menu as, I believe, these older games will still allow the flipper to fire when you hit a button in the diagnostics. If you see something else activate when you hit the flipper button, that is where your sensitive switch is.

#9 9 years ago

"Switch matrix" refers to how the switches are wired in to the game. It is also illustrated in your manual as a grid made up of 8 rows and 8 columns with ground wires going in one direction and power wires going the other. Up to 8 switches can share the same ground or the same power wire. This allows up to 64 switches to be used in the game. It's also handy to use when diagnosing a group of bad switches or lamps (there is also a lamp matrix). If you have a number of lights or switches that aren't working, compare them to the lamp matrix in your manual. You will often discover that they all share the same line - either ground or power.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

17,250 (OBO)
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whitewater-right-flipper-use-racks-up-points and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.