• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by DK
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hey all,

I honestly have no idea where to post this and I don't know anyone to verify my account, so I'm asking here. I have a WhiteWater machine and I suspect it might be a prototype but I'm not sure. My evidence is as follows:

1. Serial number 100043 (game number 43 out 7,008?).

2. Software version is P-1. Things are different from most other WH20s I have played. Gold Rush items behave differently, no game over music, no flipper codes work, no attract mode sounds with the flipper buttons, and the final shot in Wet Willie's is 50M instead of 100M.

Is there a way to definitively tell whether a WH2O is prototype or just early production? What differences are there? How many WhiteWater prototypes are there? I can provide more info if needed, I'm just super curious and I would be totally stoked if I end up having a prototype!

#2 3 years ago

What color are the circuit boards? Prototypes usually have Red instead of green

#3 3 years ago

I have all green boards.

#4 3 years ago

It's not a prototype game, but it could be a sample game. Typically in a production run, there can be about 5-15 prototypes (usually with an "X" in the serial number and red PCBs), sometimes 25-100 sample games, then followed the rest of the full production run.

P-1 is certainly early game code.

If you replace the game and sound ROMs with EPROMs that have the latest code, it should play like typical whitewater.

Here's an example of an actual prototype whitewater: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-prototype-or-sample

#5 3 years ago

Thanks for the clarification! If you don't mind me asking, what's the difference between a prototype and a sample game? Are they different from production games at all? Is there a way to tell if my machine is a sample game?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just soaking it all in lol

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Fenix15:

what's the difference between a prototype and a sample game?

That depends on the game title. Sometimes, there's not much of a difference, sometimes there are quite a few differences. Artwork changes, parts placements, adding/removing/changing mechs, etc.

With whitewater, there were some minor artwork differences, but I think that was about it.

Sample games were typically tested on location to catch any final issues before the rest of the games were built. Depending on the feedback from operators, sometimes there were minor changes between sample games and production games, but sometimes there were no differences.

#7 3 years ago

My good friend has WH20 HEP serial 0001 and that P-1 code is still on it. Actually kinda fun!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,780 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.95
$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whitewater-prototype and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.