Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dkazz1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

This is a tough game to price for a few reasons. First the price has gone up a lot in the last few years and second it costs a lot to restore because of all the ramps in it. Third, this is not an average sale...

Here is the story. I am thinking about buying a Whitewater from a GOOD friend of mine who is not a pinball collector. I bought the game for him in 2006 as a container machine. It was a real beater to say the least. Cabinet was effed and nothing worked. I shipped it to his house in Alaska after I bought it. I quit my job and I ended up spending the summer in Alaska and restored the machine in my spare time while I was up there. My friend bought: all new ramps, new boulders, new Treasure Cove cab decals, Pinball Pro speakers, side rails, legs and a few other goodies. I spent a lot of time stripping the machine down to nothing, putting the machine back together and making it look really nice. I buffed the playfield with a TC buffer and it turned out nice. It is not clearcoated or new, but it is probably an 8.5 or 9.

I posted the following pictures at the time in RGP and have never taken them down:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~pinball_stuff/index.html

Fast forward to 2014 and the machine has moved around some and take a few minor dings, but has not had a lot of use. In fact it has been broken down for a few years. My friend is moving from Alaska to South America, so he shipped the game back to me in Florida rather than sell it as-is at a reduced price. Since it got here in Florida I chased down and fixed all of the demons. This was no small feat, but it is working 100.00% now. I also added a new coin door and translite at my own expense (both were nasty).

So bottom line is this is a nice machine that was restored with a lot of new parts 8 years ago and has been completely gone through recently. This is not a HEP or other high level machine, but it is really nice. I do good work The topper is wrinkled and completely faded and the DMD display is missing a line.

My friend decided recently that he wants me to sell it rather than hold it because he doesn't want to ship it to south america. I sold a nice Whitewater once and really miss it so I hate to see this one go now.

What do you think it is worth if we sold it to a third party?

What do you think would be a fair price for me to buy it for? Or do you think that my price should be the same as a third party despite all the time and effort I have put in?

One thing I do know is that I would not take any part of the proceeds if we did decide to sell it to a third party. I have gotten to play it plenty and like I said this is my good friend.

#2 9 years ago

Id have to see current pics but im guessing it would sell between 3750 and 4500?

#3 9 years ago

My first instinct is to say that if there is any chance of putting a wrinkle in a friendship over a possible difference of opinion, sell it and send him the money.

#4 9 years ago

If you do decide to sell and come up with a price let me know ive always wanted a wh20 and may be interested

#5 9 years ago

Considering the bad dmd, blemished topper and some cabinet dings, I'd say about $3600. For $4000-$4500 you can get one without those issues.

#6 9 years ago

Thanks guys. You made some good points.

I might have overstated the dings in the cabinet. There were some scrapes in the paint around the head, but fortunately I have the original paint code that I used and got some from Home Depot. The touch ups look great. The actual cab decals are still beautiful. I will give them a complete look-over once again though.

Either way I will probably put a new topper on if they release soon, so hopefully that won't be a problem. It already has a new dome. As for the display, I will be replacing that too, but since it is out of my pocket I would reimburse myself out of the sale price - that's the only reason I even mentioned it above.

Quoted from yzfguy:

My first instinct is to say that if there is any chance of putting a wrinkle in a friendship over a possible difference of opinion, sell it and send him the money.

Excellent point. This is why I am really making sure I think this over. My collection is really lacking on 80s and 90s right now, so I want this game. I have the 70s and 2000s covered! I suppose I could get by with a JM or one of the very few WPC games that I have not owned in the past. Only problem is I will most likely be doing a lot of work on anything I buy to bring it up to my standards. This WH2O is already there...

#7 9 years ago

ask him what he wants for it, and pay him to keep for yourself. You did the work, you should keep the reward.

#8 9 years ago

I've been looking for a White Water for more than a year, and willing to pay $4,000+ for one that's worth that much.

I'd guess that you're under the $4,000 mark, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone out there would be willing to pay something close to that.

#9 9 years ago

I bought one last year for under $1500 that needed alot of work, in fact I'm not even done with it.

New decals, boulders, ramps and some board work, I will easily have over $1000 in parts in it. When it's done I can tell you I wouldn't let it go for under $4000+

Since he is your friend, I would just be honest with him and tell him what the "going rate" is for one of them and what you would deduct off the price for the imperfections. My guess is you will work out a price that you both will be happy with. I know I'd feel guilty of trying to undercut a friend just to get a good deal on a pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.95
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whitewater-price-check-wh2o and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.