Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by DeathHimself
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I'm pretty torn between the two. Can you guys help me out? I prefer gameplay over looks so thats not too important. People have told me that The Shadow is one that kind of has to grow on you to be fun, is this true? I'm a big ramp fan so Whitewater has the advantage at the moment, but my family thinks The Shadow looks more fun and would match our game room better.

#2 10 years ago

Go with your gut feeling.

Brave the rapids or maybe The Shadow knows ?

#3 10 years ago

Whitewater,Shadow may be fun but I couldnt stare at Alec Baldwin.Hes a @?!ck.I just bought a Champion Pub and its awesome.Personally Im just tired of movie pins with there faces all over the machine.

#4 10 years ago

I was surprised I liked Whitewater at the last show I went to,
also played the Shadow the same day so I'd pick Whitewater over the other.

#5 10 years ago

Im with Autumn on this one - I didnt play white water but I have played the Shadow, the upper playfield seemed cool on the shadow and the ramp changer mech, But I think whitewater would last longer in my game room and is more appealing to friends and family

#6 10 years ago

That's a really tough call to make. I personally think that The Shadow would be a consistent top 10 pin if it weren't for everyone's dislike of the artwork, although it ties in perfectly to the theme.

Any way you can play both machines before you have to decide?

#7 10 years ago

Shadow is an underated machine, I'm agree with Colb, but If U like ramps and want a pin for the whole family: whitewater is the name !!!

#8 10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, I have played Whitewater but havent played The Shadow, my only issue with this Whitewater is that it has no topper and one boulder in the boulder garden is cracked. The Shadow on the otherhand is in great shape without even any sanctum wear. I was sort of leaning tourds Whitewater dispite its physical flaws. I just wish I could afford both, then there would be no debate. Thanks, I'll let you know what my final decision is.

#9 10 years ago

WHITEWATER

#10 10 years ago

My feeling is you want the ramps and the Whitewater. Use the damaged part(s) etc to your advantage and negotiate it down. Restoration is part of the fun. There are lots of replacement parts out there for that machine. Look them up on:

www.pinballlife.com
www.bayareaamusements.com

etc. Use those prices as part of your negotiation.

You can always find another bargain machine down the road like we all do. Trust me .. you will NEVER be satisfied once you get your first pinball. You will want a second (and a third, and a fourth, etc) . It's like finally having a woman for the first time (trust me I waited until I was 25) .... the initial thrill is like nothing you've ever had and you want to repeat the experience.

2 years later
#11 7 years ago

The Shadow is a far superior Pinball over White Water ! I am a hardcore player and it just doesnt get much better than the Shadow !The rules are so deep and the game is one you will play one time and be mad as hell because it didnt last 2 minutes but the next time you will be so close to the final battle you can taste it ! If you want a game that is hard as hell then go with the shadow !

#12 7 years ago

W H I T E W A T E R

No doubt

#13 7 years ago

shadow with alt trans (ebay). couldn't wait to get rid of wh20. bought into the hype on that one. it was gone in a month.

plus, a nice wh20 is going to run you approx 2x more. definitely not worth it imo. better gimmicky
option would be fh.

2.5k vs 5k+ would be the deciding factor. talking nice ones. you can get 2 nice pins for the price of a wh20. i say pass on that one. high hyped game imo.

#14 7 years ago

That's a pick em

#15 7 years ago

The shadow hands down. White water if you like boring games with pedophile creeper pics on the cab.

#16 7 years ago

That ramp on Whitewater is THE coolest ramp in pinball, especially when it smacks the glass!
The Shadow is the latest victim of the Pinside Hype Machine, with prices approaching double what that game should cost!
So please can we drive up the prices of some games that I DONT want please!

I heard Centigrade 37 is the new MM...

#17 7 years ago

whitewater isn't really all that. kind of gimmeke personally. i'd go shadow, save some money and have better gameplay. imo my 2 cents . fyi. ttyl

#18 7 years ago

Whitewater.

#19 7 years ago

Shadow is an awesome game. Just picked up one a few weeks ago and am very happy with the choice I made. Hard as hell but you don't want an easy game that you would get bored with. Just my 2 cents.

#20 7 years ago

Hands down... White Water! The game never did well on location (pull plunger all the way back to find out why). However to a skilled pinball player, its one of the best games on the used market!

-Aaron

#21 7 years ago

Ooomph, tough choice. They're both amazing.

-Shadow is super unique with its constant battle-flow, player controllable ramp divertors, sweet magnet trick, and "Arkanoid" upper playfield. Music and sound is great. Only thing to bitch about is the translite art & theme. Lots of "Crap movie/Great game" pins out there, though..Shadow, Drac, Congo, Tron

-Whitewater is just one of the best games ever. No game has sweet ramps like that. Every shot is just FUN. It's light-hearted and silly. The music seems to be polarizing, but it's one of my favorite 90's pinball soundtracks...it builds and changes as you advance which adds to the fun and excitement.

They're both just excellent and unique designs unlike any other pins out there, IMO. Can't go wrong with either...so - sorry, this probably didn't help you at all lol

#22 7 years ago

This thread is 2 years old. I think he probably has decided by now.

#23 7 years ago

I once wanted a WH20, glad I did not make that mistake especially for what people are asking for a restored one cost. On price + game play alone, Shadow. WH20 is just not worth the money if you are looking for something CQ.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from radrats:

LOL! WHOOPS!!

#25 7 years ago

I have both and find each of them to be very fun for different reasons.

Shadow is a great players game, difficult but not unreasonably so. The fan layout provides both long and short shots. It's very fast with no pop bumpers and the rule set seems more logical and easy to understand for a game of it's depth. It's a pin with some unique features that make it stand out specifically the breakout style upper playfield, the shadow ball lock and the individual ramp diverters. The DCS sound is top notch and it's an overall great package. The translite is not and issue and I rather enjoy the art deco art package. Nice looker in my opinion.

Whitewater is more approachable and if you enjoy ramps this is your game. The rules are deep but a bit confusing if you're not familar with the pin. Having said that people love it for the flow and fun factor. Kids like the bigfoot feature and it really is eye candy for the game room and of course has the best topper of any game in my opinion. I must say my initial reaction was a good one but then I became a bit uncertain if it was a indeed a keeper. After repeated playings and a better understanding of the rules and strategy I began to see the magic of the game and enjoy it just as much as shadow.

My opinion? From a gameplay standpoint it's a wash, they're both great games. From a bang for your buck perspective it's Shadow hands down. For collectability, the nod goes to Whitewater and they're more difficult to come by so let your budget, condition and availability be your guide.

Damn, I just saw this was 2 years old. Oh well, maybe someone else will find the information useful

Randy

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from chas010:

The Shadow hands down. White Water if you like boring games with pedophile creeper pics on the cab.

Really?

Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

whitewater isn't really all that. kind of gimmeke personally. i'd go Shadow, save some money and have better gameplay. imo my 2 cents . fyi. ttyl

What is the gimmick?

I did not like Whitewater the first few times I played it, you may even say I hated it. After playing it enough and understanding it better, its one of my favorites and now I own one. The gimmick is fast difficult play and tons of fun. I would not want to put quarters in it but I do want it in my basement. Does that make any sense?

#27 7 years ago

There is only one answer to this question, and it is obvious.......
BOTH!

#28 7 years ago

I have owned both. The Shadow is loooong gone, Whitewater will be one of the last, if not the last, machine I ever sell.

For me the choice is very very simple - WHITEWATER.

#29 7 years ago

Own both. Like both a lot.

Shadow is like hand to hand fighting as there are in tight shots. WhiteWater is like a drone war. Majority of shots are long with an open playfiled. Both have great flow.

Whitewater requires more strategy to capitalize and Shadow has cool innovations: BAttlefield, magnet into the lock, diverter control over the ramps.

Shadow has a wizard mode and WH2O a big bonus payoff. I would give Shadow the edge on animations and sounds.

I would have to give the edge to Shadow.

Dan

#30 7 years ago

I think rarehero summarized it pretty well. Both are quite good. Therefore, I suggest the shadow as the winner due to price being lower.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think rarehero summarized it pretty well. Both are quite good. Therefore, I suggest The Shadow as the winner due to price being lower.

Definitely both, if you can.

#32 7 years ago

Shadow no question. Get one now before it reaches $3k.

#33 7 years ago

For the family and general fun go WH20 for serious gameplay and challenge go TS

#34 7 years ago

Sold my Shadow years ago... never looked back
Still have my WH20... it's a keeper

#35 7 years ago

This is as close as it comes to a tie for me. Shadow's theme doesn't appeal to me as I like Whitewater's more fun and light heartedness. Like Big Foot and the ramps are fun. However, I like the game play of Shadow just a tad better as I just like it's unique shots, the battlefield, and some other things. Whitewater used to be much less expensive but has risen in price a whole lot the last 2-3 years. Possibly if you get one it will increase later but then again some say it has gone as high as it's likely to go and may even go down in price, but who knows anymore what prcies on pins will do?! Many say Shadow would cost way more except many dislike the theme and artwork, especially Alec B. Having watched thepretty lame, I find the theme, quotes, and movie very well integrated and don't mind the BG near as much, but there are alterative BG's. Gosh I guess it might come down to if I saw both machines for sale and couldn't afford or didn't have room for both, cost and condition of each machine could be the deciding factor. I will say that a Shadow that's not be well maintained or dialed in right can have minor but annoying issues such as switches that don't register and other things that do impact game play. Make sure when the balls are locked that when you get mutli-ball the balls exit properly. If the switches don't register properly they won't and it's really annoying
In the end, both are very, very good games and hard to really recommend one over the other for me. If you can, play both and if you really can, get both-ha! Full disclosure, I own a Shadow and so am a little biased but have been real close to getting a Whitewater and find it a quite fun game.

#36 7 years ago

Really depends on what you want for theme, etc.

I have 17 pins in my collection from WH20 to TZ, HS2 etc. Shadow is the #1 game in my collection for skill and playablity. #1 for competition as its one the best hands down for pure skill and even scoring for tournaments.

Shadow will be one of the last to go in my collection. Its a Brian Eddy (AFM, MM).

But you cannot go wrong with either WH20 or TS. Both are great. If its more recreation and family WH20 by far.

#38 7 years ago

The Shadow.... nuff said!

#39 7 years ago

Just looked at the OP's collection page. He now Has JD and BSD.

Plus he owned both Shadow and Whitewater in the past.

guess he didn't love either one all that much.

-EDIT- by the way, my Shadow left, Whitewater's still here...

#40 7 years ago

WH2O...not even close.

#41 7 years ago

Like Whitewater...love The Shadow.

#42 7 years ago

Hey,

I'll chime in. I own The Shadow, and have since last June. So, a year and a half? I bought a WhiteWater in February, and sold it a few months later. From this thread, it seems to me people who like one aren't overly partial to the other. One person said he loved when the ball hit the glass coming down the left ramp in WhiteWater. I hated that. I still cringe when I think of it. It's all what you like, I guess. I prefer The Shadow, but am more of a stop and go kind of guy. Matter of opinion, but now everyone has mine.

Luke

#43 7 years ago

Shadow , great flow , great price , purba's , mini battlefield , Video mode . 5 ball multiball .

#44 7 years ago

Duck Season.
Rabbit Season.

Oh wait, wrong debate ... Whitewater.

#45 7 years ago

Had both and the Whitewater is still here and Shadow is long gone. IMHO Wh20 is a lot more "fun" game overall with a good rule set and vacation jackpot is WAY cool if you get there. Shadow is just an "in your face" game with deeper rules and not much coasting while playing. No POPS on Shadow which is a big turn off for me after owning it. JY is similar in this regard but back on point...
Shadow got played the least by non-pin people that were over the house for parties and I spent more time explaining how to play it than it was played. The battlefiled is a cool item. I hate the Baldwin translite and Wh20 is a LOT better looking game with clean ramps and some LED's in blue. I tried to like shadow but it never clicked for me, similar to TZ which is also gone.

It comes down to personal choice and I like games that look nice and are fun to play. If I have to get into the mindset to "do battle" with the game to have fun that's not really fun in my book. Also from seeing other peoples reactions to it and how little it got played it confirmed what I already thought about it. Be warned if you buy a Wh20 that needs ramps / parts to shop it or repair it is one expensive game to shop out and restore.

#46 7 years ago

Sorry, Shadow is DC not Marvel. Stan wouldn't weigh in on this.

1 week later
#47 7 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

Be warned if you buy a Wh20 that needs ramps / parts to shop it or repair it is one expensive game to shop out and restore.

I have heard that both machines are a challenge to maintain. Is this true?I imagine that because of the low production numbers,Shadow parts would be hard to come by. I would love for owners to chime in. Availability of parts? Niggly issues?

#48 7 years ago

I wanted both, got a Shadow and now my desire for Wh20 went down.
I DIG wh20, but not 3K+ DIG.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from radrats:

No kidding.If you looked he has already owned both in the last two years and flushed them both out.Guess we know what his opinion is.Me I dont care witch one it is.No one has jack around these parts for sale

#50 7 years ago

I have heard that both machines are a challenge to maintain. Is this true?I imagine that because of the low production numbers,Shadow parts would be hard to come by. I would love for owners to chime in. Availability of parts? Niggly issues?

I own a lot of games that are considered complicated (sttng, tz) and once you get them clean and functioning with a good shop job they are as low maintenance as any other machine. I haven't done anything to my shadow besides put on wax and new rubbers in 2 years.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside